• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Nooo, it was a joke. Hence my 😂😂😂. We're on the same thought track but you beat me to it twice now.

I know! Just felt bad for beating you twice. I'm not violent, honest ;)

In all seriousness though I'm now really fascinated in which one dares go first with announcing pricing. It is starting to sound like they are proper close in nearly every way. This close of competition can only benefit all of us consumers, though.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
NVMe makes it uncomparable with current systems. When you have to cache assets in RAM because of slow HDDs, you waste a lot of RAM on just caching. Next gen consoles will fundamentally change that. If you can read at 4GB/s, you can fill ENTIRE RAM in 4 seconds (assuming 16GB). Contrast that with existing <100MB/s HDDs in the current consoles.
And that small "cartridge" Sony patent we saw looks to me like some custom NVMe.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I know! Just felt bad for beating you twice. I'm not violent, honest ;)

In all seriousness though I'm now really fascinated in which one dares go first with announcing pricing. It is starting to sound like they are proper close in nearly every way. This close of competition can only benefit all of us consumers, though.
Next Stop:PS Meeting...whenever that is :(

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was quad core Steamroller really too big for this gen console APU? Or probably too power hungry...damn AMD.

The reason they ditched Steamroller for PS4 was because it limited their manufacturing options. The APU would have only been possible to fabricate at Global Foundries. Using Jaguar meant they could get it fabbed anywhere they wanted.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The 10%-15% for RT is a lot. RTX cards has 8%. Also not sure why both the GPU I/O and the SOC I/O is counted .

My calc:
190mm2 GPU. => 250mm2 Navi 10 -40mm for GDDRPHY, -20mm for encoders and other shit.
40mm GDDRPHY. This is max that I calculated from the Navi 10 die.
60mm CPU.
+8% RT
=
313mm2.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019

Scarlett 12tflops
Lockhart 4tflops.

if they realy come up with a 4tf lockhart to gimp the next Gen, i swear i start renting books about fucking voodoo. I will read everything and i will learn the rituals.
And then i will do a blood ceremony with my own blood, that of a cat and a Picture of Spencer.
The next thing you will know is the News that somehow Spencers ballsack dropped into the toilet while was having a shit.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Imagination technology rt could need more space :-)

No they take less space in 2014 they wanted to create a Power VR raytracing GPU at 28nm and 120 watts more powerful than what they made for mobile. And it was supposed to be 6 Gigaray/s as good as a 2070 in 2014 and at 28nm. This is not inside the article about Caustic graphics before Imgtec bought them.

Very surprised AMD or Intel or Nvidia buy them after they lost the mobile GPU contract with Apple. They are now the property of a Chinese hedge fund if I remember well.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I don't know how many times I have to say it.

Lockhart is NOT a thing.

Get it out of your minds people!

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Lockhart is NOT a thing.

Once I read the full context of the question there was no confusion. It is just a pity the Verge interviewer missed a trick asking the question like they did. Of course Phil jumped on the conflated question and only answered to one part.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The reason they ditched Steamroller for PS4 was because it limited their manufacturing options. The APU would have only been possible to fabricate at Global Foundries. Using Jaguar meant they could get it fabbed anywhere they wanted.

Wasn't it simply because the Steamroller design wasn't ready?

if they realy come up with a 4tf lockhart to gimp the next Gen, i swear i start renting books about fucking voodoo. I will read everything and i will learn the rituals.
And then i will do a blood ceremony with my own blood, that of a cat and a Picture of Spencer.
The next thing you will know is the News that somehow Spencers ballsack dropped into the toilet while was having a shit.

Lmfao 🤣

Lockhart is NOT a thing.

T H A N K Y O U !!!!

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Once I read the full context of the question there was no confusion. It is just a pity the Verge interviewer missed a trick asking the question like they did. Of course Phil jumped on the conflated question and only answered to one part.

Exactly.

I like Phil Spencer a lot. Very nice with tons of charisma.

He is also ultra smart and frames his statements in ways that are non-commital yet tend not to bite him in the ass.

You have to decipher his words very carefully and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The more I watch Phil Spencer talk, the more he comes off as a used car salesman, to me. There's something about his vibe that just rubs me the wrong way. Howard Stringer was similar, in a way. Philip Schiller, too.

I think that working in advertising just exposes me to massive amounts of marketing and PR speak, and I kinda developed an allergic reaction to that.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The more I watch Phil Spencer talk, the more he comes off as a used car salesman, to me. There's something about his vibe that just rubs me the wrong way. Howard Stringer was similar, in a way. Philip Schiller, too.

I think that working in advertising just exposes me to massive amounts of marketing and PR speak, and I kinda developed an allergic reaction to that.

He's not genuine, that's what rubs you in the wrong way.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Schiller is incredibly intelligent, but he's not the right personality for a product guy IMO. Craig Federighi is their current best frontman.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Yup.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Spencer pretty much said nothing there. We already knew they were close, and we assume that they won't make the mistake of selling at a higher price than PlayStation.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
Those of you stuck on the first two stages of grief when it comes to Lockhart, that's ok! All that matters is that you do whatever is necessary to deep six it when it eventually arrives. Do not encourage anyone to buy it under any circumstances. It wont be enough if you vote with your wallet. You will need convince many other people to do the same.

Aug 26, 2019
So Everwild is very early in development but is confirmed to come to Xbox One. Well, I guess the rumors were true then. Things will be cross-gen for a while.

What I saw looked absolutely stunning though.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So Everwild is very early in development but is confirmed to come to Xbox One. Well, I guess the rumors were true then. Things will be cross-gen for a while.
Well, anyone with any common sense would realize that anything shown now would be current/cross-gen unless specifically mentioned.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

For a moment there, I saw Howard Stringer but my mind kept reading it as Jerry Springer.

Aug 26, 2019
Well, anyone with any common sense would realize that anything shown now would be current/cross-gen unless specifically mentioned.
Why? Also, I don't believe platform was mentioned during the show. Xbox One was confirmed afterwards. And the game looked incredible so anyone has every right to believe it could've been a next-gen exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
He's not genuine, that's what rubs you in the wrong way.

I guess that's part of it. PR is like a social contract, the guy knows it's PR, you know it's PR, you can either: give it straight and we fine man, you're just doing your job; be really, really good at selling people into stuff, so good that I forget for a second there that this is PR bullshit. If you're neither of these things, you end up sounding insincere.

Schiller is incredibly intelligent, but he's not the right personality for a product guy IMO. Craig Federighi is their current best frontman.

Yup, definitely. Federighi is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about things in a way that draws you in, while being a really good presenter. Can't say Cue is a good presenter, but I'd rather watch him talk than Schiller, too.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels like that.

For a moment there, I saw Howard Stringer but my mind kept reading it as Jerry Springer.

That's a different kind of horrorshow, Threads :D

Aug 26, 2019
They said prior to the conference that there would be no Scarlett content. It would be rather bitch of them to then include Scarlett-only games.
IIRC Aaron Greenberg said that X019 would be about the games and 2020 would be all about Scarlett. How I interpreted that was there would be no info on the console itself (I.e. specs) but that didn't rule out a game being shown for it. But it's not that big of a deal 🤷🏽‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.