• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2018
Usb-c for psvr 2 is great! A single connection for input,audio & video will make the experience much better,and if they manage to implement the break box inside the console,we have a winner.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
In honor of the new code name, I present the start of PlayStation Meeting 2020:

(Music starts and Shawn Layden clears throat, a choir appears)
The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake...

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
PS4 was "return of the king".
PS5 will be "long live the queen".

:)

Or something like...this? :)

You get Orbis too in the lower right corner,lol.

Ariel-Detergent-2.jpeg

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well of course it would be costly. I am actually agreeing with you. The value proposition is from the studio's end; that they can force people to pay more for less, to make people give up money every month, and to kill off old games to make people play new ones. Your microtransactions would all be gone once the sequel comes out and the studio pulled the plug, forcing you to buy the sequel with no transactions carrying over. This would not be allowed currently as people would be pissed off and go play offline games instead. But in an all-streaming nightmare, that would no longer be possible.

The whole point is to make games more expensive, and force people to pay the price because the cheaper alternatives are killed off.

I don't get your point at all. Subscription models usually cater to the casual who do not buy new games multiple times per year. Netflix for example is used by millions who also prefer not to buy movies or go to the theater so again I question what chepaer alternatives are being killed off. There are more options now than ever and gaming seems to be the last frontier to penetrate the market much more than it ever has.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Interesting information!
gotta say that was not the top of my list in terms of coden names i expected

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"Since the ID of Ariel (PS5) has been disclosed in certain places, there are more and more topics to talk about." does komachi mean that information regarding the PS5 is starting to circulate between developers and such? maybe finally the real leaks will come soon then.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Ariel actually means lion of god.

Ariel is a given name from Biblical Hebrew אריאל Ariel that literally means "lion of God". The female form is אריאלה (transliterated as Ariela, Ariella, or the American modernized Arielle). In modern Hebrew, Ariel is primarily used as a male name.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It must be explicitly supported over USB-C which I don't think there's any incentive for Sony to add.

Not correct. USB-C is just the plug. You only have to support Displayport if you implement USB 3.1 Gen 2 over USB-C. You can implement USB 3.1 Gen 1 or even USB 2.0 over USB-C too.

So if Sony makes PS5 DP compatible i can just buy a USB-C to DP cable and connect it to my monitor, right?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So if Sony makes PS5 DP compatible i can just buy a USB-C to DP cable and connect it to my monitor, right?

Not if they only use that port for PSVR. Would make sense as they can have a single cable for video output, and audio in/out. Also possibly video input if they have cameras on the headset like I hope they will

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not if they only use that port for PSVR. Would make sense as they can have a single cable for video output, and audio in/out. Also possibly video input if they have cameras on the headset like I hope they will

I hope it is then, i have that free DP port on my monitor that would make my setup a bit easier to handle.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 used DP to HDMI conversion, right? So PS5 will do the same?

I doubt you actually get a DP connection because TVs are HDMI only. Or maybe the mention of DisplayPort is just confusing me.

Last edited:

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
VR and 3D likely supported with the PS5 hardware but when will the OS fully support it? Remember Facebook invested in VR and from the following has a road map to introduce it to consumers.

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/ne...re-coming-heres-what-theyll-look-like/525332/

"Interestingly, the origin of 3D photos wasn't an idea for how to enhance snapshots, but rather how to democratize the creation of VR content."

Facebook is investing big in virtual reality, and in VR being the future of social communication. But it's a long way off yet - and to get people to that next stage, to transition them from their regular social feeds to full VR environments, Facebook needs stepping stones, tech pathways which hint at what the next evolution offers, and why users might want to use them.

This is partly why Facebook's so keen to push the use of Facebook Stories– through the expanded use of the Facebook Camera, they can showcase new AR tools and effects, shepherding users into their expanded digital offerings, which will eventually lead to full VR interaction. 3D photos are another step on this path – while it may seem small, the new image offering will draw people in, making them more interested in how they enhance their own images in the same way.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, lately Sony's been promoting their time of flight sensors for mobile phones. Anyone think a sensor like that could be used in the next PlayStation camera to accurately map depth in a room? Maybe even on the next Dualshock and/or VR headset itself?

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 used DP to HDMI conversion, right? So PS5 will do the same?

I doubt you actually get a DP connection because TVs are HDMI only. Or maybe the mention of DisplayPort is just confusing me.

This is specifically talking about supporting sending a Displayport signal over one of the USB Type C ports.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you want DP over USB Sony has to implement USB 3.1 Gen 2. And yes, if they do that you only need a USB-C to DP cable.

Btw in addition to DP USB 3.1 Gen 2 also gives you Thunderbolt 3 (=10gbps USB)which allows you to operate external NVMe SSDs at 4x PCIe 2.0 speeds (1000MB/s)!!!!

Honestly, I don't know if a console manufacturer is willing to spend the money on such things ...

Ah, I see. Is there a reason why it'd be a DisplayPort signal and not HDMI? Are they the same? I'm lost!
Not the same. Different specifications and signals.

Last edited:

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
142eLiverpool Processor HT configuration
142fLiverpool Processor Address Maps
1430Liverpool Processor DRAM configuration
1431Liverpool Processor Misc configuration
1432Liverpool Processor PM configuration
1433Liverpool Processor NB Performance Monitor
1434Liverpool Processor SPLL Configuration
1436Liverpool Processor Root Complex
1437Liverpool I/O Memory Management Unit
1438Liverpool Processor Root Port

That's... interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
What do you mean? :)
Liverpool is the Sony/AMD codename for the PS4 SoC?

Yup, Liverpool is the codename for the PS4 GPU. It's less significant than I thought, though - the list is a mapping of all the PCI Ids used by this vendor (AMD), not necessarily related to any single product.

One thing that IS interesting about that listing is that Ariel has an IOMMU, what might indicate that it will have a memory pool that isn't necessarily contiguous - i.e. having two pools of memory. IOMMUs basically virtualize the memory address space so all the processors see is a single homogeneous space.

Last edited:

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
One thing that IS interesting about that listing is that Ariel has an IOMMU, what might indicate that it will have a memory pool that isn't necessarily contiguous - i.e. having two pools of memory. IOMMUs basically virtualize the memory address space so all the processors see is a single homogeneous space.

Now this is indeed interesting!
GDDR6+DDR3/4,eh?

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, Liverpool is the codename for the PS4 GPU. It's less significant than I thought, though - the list is a mapping of all the PCI Ids used by this vendor (AMD), not necessarily related to any single product.

Arden has this as well.

Edit:Additionally Arden has this which is really interesting:

162bArden PCIe Non-Transparent Bridge

In short this is a means to connect two independent processors across PCIe. So, if Arden is the Xbox Scarlet SoC, what other processor exists in Xbox Scarlet for this bridge to connect to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.