• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

In the common internet vernacular.... GaMeChaNgEr!!!!

Shamelessly lifted from b3d.
ps5arieldiagram.png

Cake in the PS5 and yet no sauce? DOA

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I actually remember hearing how it wouldve only cost Sony an extra $15 to include the 4k drive. They just couldnt because they wanted to come under $399.

And I think thats the key point here in all of this. Yes, Sony and MS can both give us 12 tflop consoles, but Sony has shown time and time again that they dont want to go over that $399 mark. Even PS VR launched at $399. The Vita famously launched at $250.

So if Sony isnt willing to take a lousy $15 hit on their 4k machine, then you gotta wonder if they will go with a powerful GPU when it comes to designing the PS5. MS on the other hand has been willing to launch at $499 and they are bound to get more bang for their buck this time around since they are likely to be identical to Sony's machine save for the tflops count. No kinect, no extra ram, no extra uhd drive, those extra $100 will go into a bigger SoC and a better cooling solution.

Selling a mid-gen console at a loss is not feasible, they do not sell in great enough numbers or drive enough secondary sales vs the base console to justify it (or at least that's what was assumed, maybe the later sales data says different, but that doesn't matter), and Sony couldn't be sure the concept would even be a success. Sony's unwillingness to sell the Pro at a loss says nothing about the PS5 whatsoever. Neither does their unwillingness to sell the PS4 at a large loss (they were $5 billion in the red at the time), or their decision to sell the PSVR at $399 (it's a completely different, niche accessory product). I agree that they will likely sell the PS5 for $399, but with the position they're in now they could absolutely sell it at a large loss.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I'm the head of PS I know I have massive brand awareness and that many people will want to transition from my 100m selling console especially if it's BC

I'm gonna make sure not to give them incentive to switch. That means I gotta hit $400 and if MS is a little more powerful who gives a shit because ps1, ps2, and the later half of ps4 were all underpowered compared to the competition. However having an upgraded system can't hurt. So sell a $600 one that can have crazy power but be sold at a profit. But make sure not to focus on it during press releases and such. If asked then go ahead and brag about it and of course give the details but you wanna make sure people know that they're not gonna have to pay $600 for a next gen experience but that it's just 399. Gotta avoid another 599 US dollars fiasco

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do y'all think next gen we'll be seeing streaming experiences that aren't going to be possible on just the consoles themselves? I know MicroSoft has been touting their cloud enhancements to Crackdown 3, but I'm thinking along the lines of either xCloud or PS Now utilizing the mammoth amount of server power to give us physics on a level the consoles just can't handle, or AI that's on another level. Or I suppose another way of asking is, if next gen console games are going to have the possibility of "cloud enhanced" versions then would that mean the streaming variants of those games would give us the "cloud enhanced" versions, or maybe even better?

I'm wondering if part of the endgame here with cloud gaming is that eventually they'll be able to give us experiences that would require say, a $1,000 console, but via the cloud we don't have to pony up that initial investment.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Do y'all think next gen we'll be seeing streaming experiences that aren't going to be possible on just the consoles themselves? I know MicroSoft has been touting their cloud enhancements to Crackdown 3, but I'm thinking along the lines of either xCloud or PS Now utilizing the mammoth amount of server power to give us physics on a level the consoles just can't handle, or AI that's on another level. Or I suppose another way of asking is, if next gen console games are going to have the possibility of "cloud enhanced" versions then would that mean the streaming variants of those games would give us the "cloud enhanced" versions, or maybe even better?

I'm wondering if part of the endgame here with cloud gaming is that eventually they'll be able to give us experiences that would require say, a $1,000 console, but via the cloud we don't have to pony up that initial investment.
I think MS said the streaming games are running on an Xbox one s, so I wouldn't expect that, no.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think MS said the streaming games are running on an Xbox one s, so I wouldn't expect that, no.

Well I would assume for both companies as we go into next gen they'll be replacing current cloud hardware with next gen cloud hardware.

I suppose what I'm wondering is if either next gen or beyond with high speed internet spreading further across the world and 5G being available for mobile if streaming services will gain more traction because they're able to give us gaming experiences that would only be possible locally with a multi-thousand dollar investment. That, in addition to a desirable library would probably be something that would help to get a lot of people on board. I'm just pondering how far away such a future might be.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Well I would assume for both companies as we go into next gen they'll be replacing current cloud hardware with next gen cloud hardware.

I suppose what I'm wondering is if either next gen or beyond with high speed internet spreading further across the world and 5G being available for mobile if streaming services will gain more traction because they're able to give us gaming experiences that would only be possible locally with a multi-thousand dollar investment. That, in addition to a desirable library would probably be something that would help to get a lot of people on board. I'm just pondering how far away such a future might be.

I'm not convinced you'll ever see a future where streamed games are provided at a higher visual fidelity than on the local machine. The economics of that don't make sense to me.

I think internet infrastructure and datacaps (even on mobile data networks) will ensure streaming game IQ doesn't exceed the local box version (same with streamed video), and there's little point allocating more than a single local box's worth of hardware compute per user when its only gonna get seen through a window that's less clear (i.e. poorer IQ).

I'm not sure this expectation is realistic.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
We've had multiplayer online games hosted on servers that could have done significant things with server-side world simulation for more than a decade now, and very, very little came out of it. I have no faith that they'll ever put anything above the bare minimum for visuals, either.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm not convinced you'll ever see a future where streamed games are provided at a higher visual fidelity than on the local machine. The economics of that don't make sense to me.

I think internet infrastructure and datacaps (even on mobile data networks) will ensure streaming game IQ doesn't exceed the local box version (same with streamed video), and there's little point allocating more than a single local box's worth of hardware compute per user when its only gonna get seen through a window that's less clear (i.e. poorer IQ).

I'm not sure this expectation is realistic.

I agree there is exactly free 4G unlimited mobile plan in Europe. Two in France, Free and SFR and one in Switzerland(Salt mobile) and two free and Salt aret on the worst mobile network of the country. If people thinks telecom provider will push 5g unlimited plan, they dreams... Streaming will probably be a wifi activity and from my side I prefer use remote play.

Another factor there is no economic sense to have a very expensive box to push the game on server side. The box will probably be as powerful as console box maximum.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I'd like to see this, and I'm pretty optimistic about it on the technical front, but I guess it depends a lot on economics. It would not surprise me to see engines start researching down this path.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i know i am quoting myself... but now that i think about it, does this mean MS plans for xcloud to only be a backwards compatibility service after next gen consoles launch (at least for the first few years)? it would be weird if they are using an X1S for this service just for one year, especially when they clearly advertised it running on an X1S. you would think that if XCloud is meant to run next generation games that they would say "custom xbox hardware" or something.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
i know i am quoting myself... but now that i think about it, does this mean MS plans for xcloud to only be a backwards compatibility service after next gen consoles launch (at least for the first few years)? it would be weird if they are using an X1S for this service just for one year, especially when they clearly advertised it running on an X1S. you would think that if XCloud is meant to run next generation games that they would say "custom xbox hardware" or something.

They don't want to pre-announce new hardware.

Xbox One games will run off the X1S-based hardware, and continue to do so after the next-gen systems are out. It would be presumably more energy-efficient (cheaper) to continue serving XB1 games off that hardware rather than the new hardware. So for now they're happy to talk about the XB1S-based servers, but of course in the future they'll have new servers for next-gen content.

Similarly I don't expect PSNow to suddenly ditch PS4-based servers when PS5 arrives. They'll add it to their infrastructure and serve from whatever machines make sense for a particular piece of content.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm pretty sure that's just a rehash (if not the same) as was already debunked. There's no way they can include a 1TB NVMe SSD.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
http://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk

If this turns out true, how will you all feel?
i said it before and i will say it again, one of the most obvious fake leaks we have seen by far.
the fact that verified user said it somewhat correct was because it predicted that ray tracing part (which we dont even know the extent of yet) which would just be a good guess.
so no reason to even talk about this. if there will be a legit reason to talk about this (which i doubt as i am 99.999% sure this is fake), then we will discuss it again.

Feb 10, 2018
i said it before and i will say it again, one of the most obvious fake leaks we have seen by far.
the fact that verified user said it somewhat correct was because it predicted that ray tracing part (which we dont even know the extent of yet) which would just be a good guess.
so no reason to even talk about this. if there will be a legit reason to talk about this (which i doubt as i am 99.999% sure this is fake), then we will discuss it again.
I'm interested to see what people think of those specs.
But given the lack of enthusiasm in answering this, I would assume people are not happy with them.
Probably because the PS5 is 8tflops + 12gb ram on the leak.
Those specs for PS5 would cause quite a few meltdowns.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It is a learning AI. The more input and the better the learning algorithm gets the better the results will be. We are at the beginning of this and 1 1/2 year from now result may different in a positive way. This also includes the efforts of MS DirectML.

And yes the current results are underwhelming which leads to a lessons learned I had many years ago: Never trust NVIDIA PR specifically !!!

Never trust any PR, generally ;)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is this some type of satire? The info has been directly lifted from the XBOX OT (Potential/Dream acquisitions) and thid thread. We aren't that gullible?

Or are we?!?!
a lot in here are gullible.
the leak is basically "xbox fans dreams" leak,
and when a leak sounds too good to be true, it usually is not.
the only reason people still even look at this is because of the verfied reddit user saying there are some things correct in there, which for all we know could be that poster correctly guessed ray tracing in some form.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a lot in here are gullible.
the leak is basically "xbox fans dreams" leak,
and when a leak sounds too good to be true, it usually is not.
the only reason people still even look at this is because of the verfied reddit user saying there are some things correct in there, which for all we know could be that poster correctly guessed ray tracing in some form.

Like it's literally lifted from the XBOX OT and this thread. The consensus of wishful thinking straight up copied and pasted right back to this thread.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Is this some type of satire? The info has been directly lifted from the XBOX OT (Potential/Dream acquisitions) and this thread. We aren't that gullible?

Or are we?!?!
That's what this whole thread has been thus far. Xbox people have been pushing every crazy dream spec leak as having to be true or partially true while believing the next playstation is going to be the most baseline machine possible

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
http://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk

If this turns out true, how will you all feel?

Why post this again??

Yes, but an era insider did verify some parts of it.
It is one of the more ligitimite leaks.
But even if it is not real I'm interested to see how people feel if those were the specs + prices.

You can go back and check the responses this got a few weeks ago...

I'm interested to see what people think of those specs.
But given the lack of enthusiasm in answering this, I would assume people are not happy with them.
Probably because the PS5 is 8tflops + 12gb ram on the leak.
Those specs for PS5 would cause quite a few meltdowns.

Which you already knew and hence trying to stirr the pot...no need to bring the shit from the CD3 review thread in here

Status
Not open for further replies.