• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Where and when did Matt say this?!?
it was some time ago, he told people who wanted 15TF to lower their expectation and people who expected 10TF to increase it. sadly he is not saying anything about the PS5 anymore.
of course the specific number could have been changed but from how he talked about it it sounded to me like the target was around 12 teraflops back then, and i really doubt they took it all the way down to 8 TF.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
i am saying he specifically told people who expected a GPU with less than 10TF to increase their expectations.
and to be frank, matt is more trustworthy than any random reddit rumor.

If they go over 11-12TF I'm sure it's gonna be premium models + base.

I'm not seeing Sony releasing anything above 10TF on a single device.

I still think Sony is going 1 device only

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
About the Radeon VII, I've seen some theorizing that, seeing that they have a huge variance in stock voltages, UV and OC performance, that we might be looking at a product that's based on binned MI50 chips - i.e. stuff that didn't hit the specs, bottom of the barrel chips. So things might look worse than they are.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Until Richard puts out a new video, his range was 11-15 teraflops. Tempering our expectations still puts us in the double-digits.

If his expectations had dropped from 11 to 8, it seems like he would have put out a new video making a solid case for that, it's not like putting out that type of video wouldn't generate a lot of buzz.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
it was some time ago, he told people who wanted 15TF to lower their expectation and people who expected 10TF to increase it. sadly he is not saying anything about the PS5 anymore.
of course the specific number could have been changed but from how he talked about it it sounded to me like the target was around 12 teraflops back then, and i really doubt they took it all the way down to 8 TF.

I am pretty sure Matt never said anything about TF range for next gen... BitsandBytes right?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is it Matt on era or neogaf, I would like to read through where he said what you remember him saying. Thanks.
i am looking it up now, it is most likely from the old forum as he only had one post in the first next gen thread.

Update: i am still looking but he has been heavily teasing the PS5 having full PS4 compatibility if anyone is still afraid of that.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
he never said these numbers, he replied to people who mentioned these numbers. i am trying to find that now.

EDIT: i am pretty sure it was in the old forum, not this one.

In the old forum he hinted about BC for PS5,as well as memory but never about TFs...i'm sure i would remember that.

On Era he hinted at 2019 launch,that's why we talked so much about it.Last time he said anything about next gen was in previous thread in September 2018 that he can't promise 2019 launch and that things might change.

That's it.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Architectural improvements affecting real world performance/TF or not.... I am still not convinced how or why either MS or Sony would not be able to release a console with at least twice the Xbox One X's raw power about 3 years later.

Even the PS4 Pro managed to more than double the performance of the base PS4 in the same time frame.[/QUOTE]

The X cost 500$ and they gave out the same cpu, same hard drive, with modest ram improvements. The pro saw improvements to gpu alone. So no the pro isn't twice as powerful as the base.

The build cost of these consoles arnt coming down as rapidly as last gen. We are in 2019 and the X still retails at 499$. There is a reason for that(still costs 400$+ to build).

Your expecting the gpu performance to double from the X. Sounds good at first glance. But the reality of the situation is that the X got its "beast" nickname because they realeased an extremely unbalanced system that favored the gpu.if they would have put zen in the box the gpu would have needed to be 4-5tf to release at 500$.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
In the old forum he hinted about BC for PS5,as well as memory but never about TFs...i'm sure i would remember that.

On Era he hinted at 2019 launch,that's why we talked so much about it.Last time he said anything about next gen was in previous thread in September 2018 that he can't promise 2019 launch and that things might change.

That's it.
well i am clearly not the only one who remembers that gundamkyoukai above say they remember the same thing.

Feb 10, 2018
i am looking it up now, it is most likely from the old forum as he only had one post in the first next gen thread.

I found this

foxbeldin said:
Yeah 8TF 3 years after the X would be quite underwhelming. Hoping for 10-12 but i guess Matt will shut me down on that?

Matt:
Why would I? Thats a much more reasonable range

https://www./threads/pachter-on-ps5...-to-become-default-ps4.1435722/post-249545313

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No. It's the day people don't follow the entire conversation and make assumptions about what people are talking about.

People are talking about a system diagram that someone on B3D created. That said, it is not any more legitimate than any other poster's informed speculation. They just made theirs into a pretty picture.

The irony of this post is that if you were following the discussion on that B3D diagram, M3rcy, you'd have seen how people acknowledged it was a joke post..... unless you think "Cake" will be an integral part of the PS5's system architecture? lol

Potentially a proper architectural shift + things like this will make a simple 'TF vs TV' difficult. So possibly 'only 8' could be plenty

If and when super-SIMD comes, the way I understand it, it will generally just imply more GPU shader processor cores per CU, so the cimputation for calculating TFlops will remain the same.

The higher efficiency the architecture brings will simply mean better ALU utilisation, same as every other microarchitectural change seeks to deliver.

Architectural improvements affecting real world performance/TF or not.... I am still not convinced how or why either MS or Sony would not be able to release a console with at least twice the Xbox One X's raw power about 3 years later.

Even the PS4 Pro managed to more than double the performance of the base PS4 in the same time frame.

I agree. *Shrug*

People seem unnecessarily pessimistic about PS5 performance, but less so about Anaconda... I wonder why.

About the Radeon VII, I've seen some theorizing that, seeing that they have a huge variance in stock voltages, UV and OC performance, that we might be looking at a product that's based on binned MI50 chips - i.e. stuff that didn't hit the specs, bottom of the barrel chips. So things might look worse than they are.

Yikes, although I feel this was pretty obvious the moment AMD acknowledged how few of them they were making.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I found this

foxbeldin said:
Yeah 8TF 3 years after the X would be quite underwhelming. Hoping for 10-12 but i guess Matt will shut me down on that?

Matt:
Why would I? Thats a much more reasonable range

https://www./threads/pachter-on-ps5...-to-become-default-ps4.1435722/post-249545313
another important post i found this is a random user:
Too soon , it'd only be on par with a Scorpio next year. 2019 though ? 8TF with a new CPU and 16 GB of ram should be more than do-able at 400 USD.
matt's answer:
Well, that's not true. A PS5 next year would be a bigger jump than Pro to Scorpio.
disclaimer that this post was made in 2017, so he expected back then that even in 2018 the PS5 would be stronger than 8TF, based on the post he answered it is obvious the meaning was the GPU jump.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
The irony of this post is that if you were following the discussion on that B3D diagram, M3rcy, you'd have seen how people acknowledged it was a joke post..... unless you think "Cake" will be an integral part of the PS5's system architecture? lol
Actually.

Not that this means it'll be part of the consoles. If we're dealing with monolithic SoCs there won't be a need for the IF to go off package.

Feb 10, 2018
another important post i found this is a random user:

matt's answer:

disclaimer that this post was made in 2017, so he expected back then that even in 2018 the PS5 would be stronger than 8TF, based on the post he answered it is obvious the meaning was the GPU jump.

So was Matt a dev? It just says he's a normal member on neogaf.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Everything Matt hinted pointed to 10-12TF. It is why I have stuck to that from 2017 and never wavered.

Matt just keeps a low profile and doesn't get caught up with flashy "verified" tags and just gets straight to the point. It does mean many don't know who he is and how long he's been around which leads to him being questioned (like who is this guy and why should I believe him).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So was Matt a dev? It just says he's a normal member on neogaf.
after what happened to the old server i am pretty sure all user data (description, avatar etc.) was erased, i am pretty sure he was a mod back then as well.
as far as i am aware, we dont really know what is his source? but he definitely has deep sources within sony, microsoft and i think nintendo.

Everything Matt hinted pointed to 10-12TF. It is why I have stuck to that from 2017 and never wavered.

Matt just keeps a low profile and doesn't get caught up with flashy "verified" tags and just gets straight to the point. It does mean many don't know who he is and how long he's been around which leads to him being questioned (like who is this guy and why should I believe him).
that is why i really trust him to be honest, a lot of insider are trying to always tease stuff and end up being wrong because they post everything they hear but matt is a lot more careful about what he says.
i hope the 10~12TF target that was back in 2017 still is the target today.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

I agree PS5 will be around 10-12 TF range.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
That's for PC Navi cards,don't expect anything like that in console box.
He is way too optimistic i think but we'll see.
And maybe you are being too pessimistic?

The PS4pro used a polaris based 36CU GPU that had a base desktop clock of around 1.4Ghz. That means the PS4pros GPU was running at around a 40% lower clock. And this is all using standard cooling.

So if Navi can have a base clock of around 2Ghz there is no reason we won't see them running at at least 1.3Ghz in consoles. And more than that if going with better cooling.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

I saw it there first and know exactly what context the post was made in.

Also here's what WikiChip has to say about CAKE in the context of AMDs infinity fabric.

CAKE[edit]
The workhorse mechanism that interfaces between the SDF and the various SerDes that link both multiple dies together and multiple chips together is the CAKE. The Coherent AMD socKet Extender(CAKE) module encodes local SDF requests onto 128-bit serialized packets each cycle and ships them over any SerDes interface. Responses are also decoded by the CAKE back to the SDF. As with everything else that is attached to the SDF, the CAKEs operate at DRAM's MEMCLK frequency in order to eliminate clock-domain crossing latency.

It wasn't a joke. It was legitimate speculation.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Update: i am still looking but he has been heavily teasing the PS5 having full PS4 compatibility if anyone is still afraid of that.
What about PS3, that would be a megaton announcement.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What about PS3, that would be a megaton announcement.
nothing about a PS3 backward compatibility.
he did call the BC "BC+" whatever that means.

Well,it's not exactly easy to be optimistic about AMD GPU products in the last few years.
well most rumors talked about how the previous GPUs being disappointing because of the shifted focus to Navi, so i still hold hope it could surprise.

Feb 10, 2018
N7KOESv.png

Status
Not open for further replies.