• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm looking at these 12 TF suggestions and I think I'm missing something.
I just got a vega 64 card which is approximately 12 TF. The thing uses 300W and weighs over 1 kilogram. It cost 3500 NOK (the equivalent of approx $400 including 25% vat).

If the consoles launch in 2020, that is in a bit over a year, how do we expect this to shrink down to a combined cpu/gpu chip and the whole package with mother board and hard drive at the same price?

Is the new 7nm process and/or architecture of navi _that_ much better?
I know the HBM2 on the vega is a big part of the cost but still it seems overly optimistic to me.

I would be happy if it happen though!

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I just got a vega 64 card which is approximately 12 TF. The thing uses 300W and weighs over 1 kilogram. It cost 3500 NOK (the equivalent of approx $400 including 25% vat).

If the consoles launch in 2020, that is in a bit over a year, how do we expect this to shrink down to a combined cpu/gpu chip and the whole package with mother board and hard drive at the same price?

I know the HBM2 on the vega is a big part of the cost but still it seems overly optimistic to me.

It's different, HBM takes a lot of power alongside the Vega architecture and GCN being very power hungry.

APU version will have slower clocks and further power draw optimization via 7nm alongside overall Arch iimprovent

We can't comment on Navi because oficially we know nothing besides 7nm

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

In theory Navi should be a generation ahead to Vega. I'm not an expert but why should be comparable to Vega?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
In theory Navi should be a generation ahead to Vega. I'm not an expert but why should be comparable to Vega?

It will be faster chip for chip but I'm just looking at that huuuge card and thinking how the F will make something comparable in a small die with much less thermal stuff.

It's different, HBM takes a lot of power alongside the Vega architecture and GCN being very power hungry.

APU version will have slower clocks and further power draw optimization via 7nm alongside overall Arch iimprovent

We can't comment on Navi because oficially we know nothing besides 7nm

I can see the HBM angle, but if they manage to squeeze it down that much I'm going to be mighty impressed :)

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sometimes he really digs some interesting stuff out but it's crazy what he does with it.
This is the most positive thing you can say about that guy.
A lot? Then probably not on Twitter or I got unlucky because he just blocked me after one tweet.
On twitter and on a forum that doesn't exist anymore. But that is all from years ago ... I moved on because it isn't worth the time to deal with such people ...

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018

The best way to look at it is to consider Navi to be a super-charged Polaris card with the performance at around or better than Vega.
This essentially means less compute-specific hardware features, smaller size, more efficient and all the latest GPU tech that RTG may have worked on.

Vega even contains hardware for features that isn't being used, either due to issues with the hardware design or RTG being unable to code for it.
This will most likely be ripped out or fixed to improve performance.

Still, it is best to wait until GDC for more information or the Navi launch at end of Q2 or in Q3.

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
For a lot of TV's including mine, the ps4 will turn on my TV, but when I put my ps4 into rest mode it does not turn off the TV.

I hope Sony fix this for the PS5.
(but it's cool my Pro turns on my TV now)

Why do you put this upon Sony? If you have the vaguest understanding of electronics, you should be able to understand that turning appliances off is a pretty challenge.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
The best way to look at it is to consider Navi to be a super-charged Polaris card with the performance at around or better than Vega.
This essentially means less compute-specific hardware features, smaller size, more efficient and all the latest GPU tech that RTG may have worked on.

Vega even contains hardware for features that isn't being used, either due to issues with the hardware design or RTG being unable to code for it.

Well, one of my computer has a polaris card (I think), RX 570. It's not exactly small either but it is not 1 kilo and doesn't use 300W.
It's about half the tflops though.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they managed to pull it off, especially in a combined cpu/gpu structure.

But even the nvidia rtx 2080 ti is "only" 13.5ish tflops.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
For a lot of TV's including mine, the ps4 will turn on my TV, but when I put my ps4 into rest mode it does not turn off the TV.

I hope Sony fix this for the PS5.
(but it's cool my Pro turns on my TV now)

I have my pro hooked up to a Sony Bravia and the tvs remote works the menu for the ps4. God send for watching movies without killing the controllers battery

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
Sometimes he really digs some interesting stuff out but it's crazy what he does with it.
He probably gets little to none benefits from MS, maybe has MS stocks, is clearly an Xbox fan but goes far beyond any rationality.

I want to understand the motivation behind it or why and how people end up that way.

A simple combination of tribalism that you'll find in any sizable group, and a refusal to admit he's wrong. Nothing special, and unfortunately all too common nowadays. Pride is one hell of a drug.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018
Well, one of my computer has a polaris card (I think), RX 570. It's not exactly small either but it is not 1 kilo and doesn't use 300W.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they managed to pull it off, especially in a combined cpu/gpu structure.

Size of the card does not matter at all, the die size does. The polaris die size is 232mm² vs Vega56/64 is at 486mm².

If you look at AMDs latest 14nm APUs, you'll find the clock speeds to be surprisingly decent. Running the GPU at 1400MHz.
That even beats the Polaris desktop cards and is close to Vega56 when it comes to clock speeds. So we should expect it to be even better at 7nm.

I personally believe 10TFlops is close to what we'll be seeing on console, the full-fat Navi10 will be at around 14-15TFlops in a 260-270mm² die.
I also think that Nvidia will release a card on 7nm at 20+TFlops in Q4. (With nvidia pricing.)

Last edited:

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
I also think that if Sony goes 499 to compete with the Xbox pro than they are leaving themselves vulnerable to Xbox arcade at 300$. Yes the hardcore will pick the more expensive consoles but the masses will see a console at nearly half the price that plays the same games at a lower resolution.
It's all assumptions at this point but am I right in saying;
We assume Sony will make one sku next gen and MS two, a high & a lower spec machine.
Sony will target the $399 price point & effectively take the middle ground on power & price.

things rarely turn out how we expect them to but do we think both Microsoft & Sony would be happy with this scenario?

I don't think Sony would want to land too close to either end of the Xbox twins ( power wise) leaving the low or high end uncontested , although they could manoeuvre to take the middle ground (price wise) if on par with the Xbox pro.
It's hard to say how much either company is willing to lose if any to gain an advantage next gen

Last edited:

TheRoyalBoob

Nov 16, 2017
Found it myself a couple months ago and I lost my shit, just awesome for watching movies. Wasn't sure if it only worked because it was a Sony tv. I assume Xbox do this too? Would be ironic if it didnt.

Really cool feature. Panasonic's Viera link is probably just HDMI CEC branded so consumers have an understanding of it.

One problem (in my experience) is that the link still triggers the TV if you use remote play. It also becomes a pain if you eject a disc, since that powers up the PS4 and also fires the trigger to the TV.

I wish there was some option for the PS4/ PS5 to recognise the difference between a local power up and a remote play power up.
I use the Mac remote play ap from time to time, so have unfortunately had to disable the link features - and I do miss them, but constantly turning it on and off isn't practical .

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

Still, it is best to wait until GDC for more information or the Navi launch at end of Q2 or in Q3.

The real answer is that people enjoy disappointment and don't want to be beholden to the laws of physics.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
It's all assumptions at this point but am I right in saying;
We assume Sony will make one sku next gen and MS two, a high & a lower spec machine.
Sony will target the $399 price point & effectively take the middle ground on power & price.

things rarely turn out how we expect them to but do we think both Microsoft & Sony would be happy with this scenario?

I don't think Sony would want to land too close to either end of the Xbox twins ( power wise) leaving the low or high end uncontested , although they could manoeuvre to take the middle ground (price wise) if on par with the Xbox pro.
It's hard to say how much either company is willing to lose if any to gain an advantage next gen
Yes that seams to be the general thought what will happen. And your right things rarely turn out like they are expected. Like your saying we don't know how much loseseither company is willing to take on up front on their consoles.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm following mark Cerny on psn and a few days ago he started playing games again for the first time in a while. Ps5 design final? Lol

Edit: let me correct myself. Their was a gap from November until late January. I'm being facetious of course

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Comparison is a bit tricky though. This gen and on, it's basically a "level" playing field as they are pulling from the same vendor. So a year later their will be a clear linear progression. But PS3 was an exotic built from the ground up genuinely one of the kind beast. As opposed to the 360 which was a more PC based yet still customized system. It is apples and oranges. Hell, knowing what we know now, having the PS3 be as good as it was may have been a true marvel of engineering. They never even got Toshiba to make them the cell GPU they needed then they needed to scramble with Nvidia who screwed them over
Cell was exotic and a pain in the ass to deal with, over-engineered and if I remember correctly they were to have two cell chips doing CPU and GPU.

Xenos as a GPU was exotic because it was the first GPU to have unified shaders, this was something that had not even hit PC yet.

When it comes to XB1X and the Pro, it all boils down to what the design targets were. Sony wanted to have something that could do 1440p and checkerboard 4K. If that is all Microsoft wanted, they could have simply launched at the same time, with similar tech and achieved similar results. They chose to wait an extra year to have something that could get them 4K games.

I also think that the launching a year later thing is also overestimated when it comes to a console being better. Nintendo consoles, the PS3 all show that this is never f

Feb 10, 2018
I have a Pro and an Apple TV hooked up to my Bravia. Having multiple devices with the HDMI link on doesn't play nice. I got issues where devices would turn on/off when I didn't intend. I had to choose to have the Apple TV setup with HDMI link.

I just hope they both have this feature working well next gen, its a little feature that is very useful when works as intended.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
At 299 for Lockhart, 399 for ps5 and 499 for andaconda here's my predictions

Pessimistic
Lockhart- 6tf
Ps5-8tf
Andaconda-10tf

Optimistic
Lockhart-8tf
Ps5-10tf
Andaconda-12tf

I will be happy if the consoles are in that range.

That assumes (apart from simplistic scaling of performance for price but that's fine for illustration) - that all three consoles use a similar pricing model

If for example Sony subsidise theirs more heavily, and MS don't take a loss on the high end because it's not designed to be a volume seller, then you could theoretically end up with ps5 and anaconda both being 499 machines, but Sony is selling for 399/449. Still way too many moving parts at the moment.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...I've never understood this either.

I mean a couple of people seem to have close ties with Microsoft and they infer their next platform will be the most powerful next-generation. I don't understand how that can be conclusive since there's absolutely no relative reference to Sony.

So, you'd need to ask yourself 'Does this mean Sony isn't trying to design the most powerful platform?'.

I think Microsoft are more bullish about it. They came straight out of the gate saying their platform will be the most powerful while Sony are tight lipped, leaving it to be more guesswork on design vs cost. In these terms it doesn't really matter what Sony build because Microsoft will always be more powerful.

Simply put - MS sold 1/3 the units worldwide this year vs Sony. They're clearly behind and increasingly so. They have nothing to lose to start sowing the seeds of next gen in peoples minds already. Sony as market leader has much more to lose so it saying nothing. This is all PR for now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Xbox can do it. I just mean it would be ironic since the og Xbox had an emphasis on multimedia

What do you mean of course Xbox can do it? I don't know if they added it to the 1s but the OG Xbox one never supported it - they were relying on IT blaster nonsense from the Kinect. If 1s doesn't have it, then 1X is the first Microsoft console to support it. Sony has had it since PS3 - perhaps not surprising given they make TVs that use it too.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how you all do this. I'd probably go insane speculating on this constantly. It's fun to check in periodically to see the latest rumors and thoughts though.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
That assumes (apart from simplistic scaling of performance for price but that's fine for illustration) - that all three consoles use a similar pricing model

If for example Sony subsidise theirs more heavily, and MS don't take a loss on the high end because it's not designed to be a volume seller, then you could theoretically end up with ps5 and anaconda both being 499 machines, but Sony is selling for 399/449. Still way too many moving parts at the moment.
I think it's kind of silly to say that Sony would subsidize and Microsoft wouldn't. I think the other way around makes more sense. Microsoft sells more games per console and makes more money off individual customers than Sony does. That's been backed up zhuge.
For now it's best to assume they will both take equal losses.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of silly to say that Sony would subsidize and Microsoft wouldn't. I think the other way around makes more sense. Microsoft sells more games per console and makes more money off individual customers than Sony does. That's been backed up zhuge.

Just an example but you're right. Point is it makes starlight comparisons difficult. You need to estimate cost of goods, then estimate actual selling price and positive/negative margin

Result is the simple 299/399/499 point prices become overlapping ranges of prices depending on what MS/Sony do

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Just an example but you're right. Point is it makes starlight comparisons difficult. You need to estimate cost of goods, then estimate actual selling price and positive/negative margin

Result is the simple 299/399/499 point prices become overlapping ranges of prices depending on what MS/Sony do
True it would probably be best to just say I expect
6-8.5 tf for Lockhart
8-10.5 for ps5
10-12.5 tf for andaconda
That way it's theoretically possible for Lockhart to be more powerful than ps5. And theoretically possible for ps5 to be more powerful than andaconda dispite the price differences.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018
AMD can almost make whatever you want. But you're not a console maker with set cost and thermal limits
True, though most people are taking this in consideration.

From what I've calculated, a 10TF GPU on 7nm would take around 190-200mm² and then you combine the 70-75mm² Zen2 CPU. This lands you at 275mm² at and leaves plenty of room for other additions such as a wider memory bus.
The PS4 Pro has a 325mm² die and PS4 has a 348mm² die.

When it comes to power we can't be entirely certain since Navi isn't out yet, however we should expect efficiency to improve on both arch-level and due to 7nm. (and the fact that TSMC is making it, not GlobalFoundries and their mobile-chip nodes.) There is also the rumors that Zen engineers joined the RTG team to help improving efficiency on Navi.

Ryzen 7 3750H(12nm) runs its Vega iGPU with 10CUs at 1400MHz and the TDP is only 35W.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Why would the other way around make more sense ?
For Sony gaming is much bigger part of there company than MS .
They have more to lose if PS5 fuck up .
MS selling more games per consoles because they have less of a user base is also part of that .
This not to mention they might not get the same deals on parts because of the amount of units they each sell .
Both could subsidize but saying it going to be equal make no sense this also goes for MS.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

This is because you are looking at it all wrong. You should only look at PC hardware as a measurement and never as a representation of a consoles design. They are consoles for a reason.

Eg. The RX580 which is a 36CU 8GB 185W card (pretty much a PS4Pro GPU) cost $230. Yet it was put into a $399 console along with a CPU, HDD, BRD, PSU, Cooling, Case and Controller.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
This is because you are looking at it all wrong. You should only look at PC hardware as a measurement and never as a representation of a consoles design. They are consoles for a reason.

Eg. The RX580 which is a 36CU 8GB 185W card (pretty much a PS4Pro GPU) cost $230. Yet it was put into a $399 console along with a CPU, HDD, BRD, PSU, Cooling, Case and Controller.
I thought the XBox X starts at 500?

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
The word LITE seems like related to POWER consumption. They could be downclocking the GPU to 70% of the clock speed compared to full NAVI clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.