• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
This is because you are looking at it all wrong. You should only look at PC hardware as a measurement and never as a representation of a consoles design. They are consoles for a reason.

Eg. The RX580 which is a 36CU 8GB 185W card (pretty much a PS4Pro GPU) cost $230. Yet it was put into a $399 console along with a CPU, HDD, BRD, PSU, Cooling, Case and Controller.

Yeah it still takes some headwrapping to figure out how they do it :)
I've only been playing consoles again since 2016 when I got a PS4 and I've never been in a console launch before (my last one was the SNES) so not sure what to expect. It seems almost like magic what they are able to do.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
RX580 matches the XBox One X?

No. The RX580 has more in common with a PS4pro than an XB1X.

RX580 is a 36CU, 256bit, 8GB GDDR5 GPU that at its 1257Mhz clock gives 5.7TF.

PS4pro has 36CU, 256bit, 8GB GDDR5 that at its ~900Mhz clock gives 4.2TF.

XB1X has 40CU, 384bit, 12GB GDDR5.

XB1X is more of a custom RX580 adding more CUs and PS4pro is a actual RX580 that has just been downclocked.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
The PS4 Pro iGPU has 40 CUs (4 deactivated), 64 ROPs (vs. 32 on PS4/580) and does support some custom things like the Intelligent Work Distributor from Vega, FP16 and some ROPs customization for Checkerboard-Rendering.

The Xbox One X GPU has actually 44 CUs, also 4 are deactivated for better yield.

None of them is a straight up Polaris10/20 design.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The PS4 Pro iGPU has 40 CUs (4 deactivated), 64 ROPs (vs. 32 on PS4/580) and does support some custom things like the Intelligent Work Distributor from Vega, FP16 and some ROPs customization for Checkerboard-Rendering.

The Xbox One X GPU has actually 44 CUs, also 4 are deactivated for better yield.

Any expectations,besides downclocking, of Navi 10 "lite" allegedly in PS5?

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

This. Also comparing discrete video card pricing to console pricing is not reasonable. The path from suppliers to manufacturing to packaging to retail are completely different and the various costs incurred along the way are not comparable. Specifically, the discrete video card has more parties involved that need to make money and the volume of any specific SKU (which will be specific to one vendor selling one card based on that GPU) is much smaller, so you lose out on the per-unit cost benefits of manufacturing a product at scale.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Any expectations,besides downclocking, of Navi 10 "lite" allegedly in PS5?
The "Lite" moniker is a very interesting one.

Till now there was never a "lite" label for an ASIC and there is probably a major differentiator otherwise it would be wasteful to develop two very similiar chips.
Personally I have no idea what it could be.

Navi10 for example shouldn't have a higher FP64 ratio than 1/16 anyway.
Even if you think about something like dedicated hardware for ray tracing and tensor operations it doesn't sound like enough difference to warrant the development of two flavours of a chip.

And I don't think that's a chip used by the PS5/Xbox next.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The "Lite" moniker is a very interesting one.

Till now there was never a "lite" label for an ASIC and there is probably a major differentiator otherwise it would be wasteful to develop two very similiar chips.
Personally I have no idea what it could be.

Navi10 for example shouldn't have a higher FP64 ratio than 1/16 anyway.
Even if you think about something like dedicated hardware for ray tracing and tensor operations doesn't like enough difference to warrant the development of two flavours of a chip.

And I don't think that's a chip used by the PS5/Xbox next.

Ok,thanks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think the tweaks will be to make certain things easier and increases to real world performance over there PC counterparts will be minimal or abscent.

I think they could be significant. Sony already put in quite a few changes with PS4, then more with pro. For ps5 they will definitely want to take the learnings from PS4 and expand on them.

Feb 10, 2018
I think they could be significant. Sony already put in quite a few changes with PS4, then more with pro. For ps5 they will definitely want to take the learnings from PS4 and expand on them.

Well recent history points to my Prediction.
With PS4 + Pro it's like getting a stock Honda civic adding slightly better wheels + tires and a spoiler, it will give some advantages but on a race track there won't be to much difference to the stock model.

I don't see why anyone would think next gen they are going to add turbo chargers and other significant engine upgrades.
Remember ease of development is one of Cernys primary focuses, he is not going to want to complicate it even further by adding further custom solutions to an already new CPU + GPU architecture.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the over-under on ray tracing making it in these consoles? I'm starting to feel like maybe they shoot for it. Is it possible?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the over-under on ray tracing making it in these consoles? I'm starting to feel like maybe they shoot for it. Is it possible?
Who knows, IIRC AMD said something about working on it, but it seemed like it wouldn't be through something like Nvidia's RTX where they have RT cores specific for it.
Either way, for those first models, I wouldn't raise my hopes for it, if it's in, it'll be a very limited implementation. And it makes sense, it's kind of meh on the top of the line RTX cards right now, nvm whatever solution that can fit into a console APU.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Well recent history points to my Prediction.
With PS4 + Pro it's like getting a stock Honda civic adding slightly better wheels + tires and a spoiler, it will give some advantages but on a race track there won't be to much difference to the stock model.

I don't see why anyone would think next gen they are going to add turbo chargers and other significant engine upgrades.
Remember ease of development is one of Cernys primary focuses, he is not going to want to complicate it even further by adding further custom solutions to an already new CPU + GPU architecture.

That's underselling the importance of the customizations in PS4's SoC. They significantly enhanced its ability to do GPU compute alongside traditional graphics workloads without losing performance due to cache management and context-switching penalties which is a big deal given how much of the system's processing power was contained in the GPU.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Uh huh...anyway,i wonder what realistically can Sony do about ray tracing without breaking a bank?
Is some custom "sauce" a la that ID buffer/fake 4K in Pro possible for ray tracing in PS5?

From what I understand, custom sauce for ray tracing is pretty much what the RTX cards already do. They use ray-tracing only where it's most effective, and without modem denoising tech it would look like crap. Actual ray-tracing without any shortcuts is still a long way off, and I'm not sure how either of the consoles would be able to do it very well. Maybe if prices drop heavily they could match a 2070, but it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I feel like ray-tracing would make for a solid add-on for the mid-gen models.

Feb 10, 2018
That's underselling the importance of the customizations in PS4's SoC. They significantly enhanced it's ability to do GPU compute alongside traditional graphics workloads without losing performance due to cache management and context-switching penalties which is a big deal given how much of the system's processing power was contained in the GPU.

No its not.
PS4 is about AMD265 level it is not significantly better.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This.It will be next HDR/4K...

I honestly don't think so, not to the average consumer anyway. 4k is easy, "it's better than HD!". But raytracing? It makes the lighting better and more natural (essentially) , we get the effect, but most people? They'll just shrug. Not to mention you can't walk into a store and say "I want the tv with raytracing please". Unless it's something that's evident in media outside of gaming it won't move the needle for none hardcore

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
No its not.
PS4 is about AMD265 level it is not significantly better.

What the TFlops? After all the discussion here you still think that tells the whole story?

The TFlops rating indicates the capacity to do work. The optimizations I mentioned allow the PS4 to better make use of that capacity by doing computer operations during breaks in graphics processing load. Net effect is the PS4 can do more overall processing with the same hardware resources.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I honestly don't think so, not to the average consumer anyway. 4k is easy, "it's better than HD!". But raytracing? It makes the lighting better and more natural (essentially) , we get the effect, but most people? They'll just shrug. Not to mention you can't walk into a store and say "I want the tv with raytracing please". Unless it's something that's evident in media outside of gaming it won't move the needle for none hardcore

Average consumers buy cheap PS4 slim,not Pro.Those who buy now PS4 Pro will get PS5 Pro as well and that enthusiast group knows what ray tracing is.

Feb 10, 2018
Wait, was esram not implemented after the reveal of both consoles and it was a xlast minute" upgrade? That would explain where the die space went, but not why in the principal design it wasn't implemented. Unless I completely am remembering wrong, which is possible

No, you can add esram last min. Its a fundamental part of the design," the next logical step from the 360's edram" according to xbox engineers. It would of been decided early on in the process.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What the TFlops? After all the discussion here you still think that tells the whole story?

The TFlops rating indicates the capacity to do work. The optimizations I mentioned allow the PS4 to better make use of that capacity by doing computer operations during breaks in graphics processing load. Net effect is the PS4 can do more overall processing with the same hardware resources.
Thats my problem with some of the posts in here, people ignore any improvement / customization that is not improving tera flop number directly.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018
If Xbox Next launches this year, will it come with Vega?
Only if microsoft wants a 400mm2 APU. It would be more expensive than the Xbox One X and needing beefier cooling.
However there is still the possibility that the console Navi APU is finished before the dGPU announcement/launch.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No. The RX580 has more in common with a PS4pro than an XB1X.

RX580 is a 36CU, 256bit, 8GB GDDR5 GPU that at its 1257Mhz clock gives 5.7TF.

PS4pro has 36CU, 256bit, 8GB GDDR5 that at its ~900Mhz clock gives 4.2TF.

XB1X has 40CU, 384bit, 12GB GDDR5.

XB1X is more of a custom RX580 adding more CUs and PS4pro is a actual RX580 that has just been downclocked.

Interesting. I remember before the PS4 Pro specs were officially announced that there were rumors that Sony was considering 2 options, one with the specs we got and one with higher specs. If true, I wonder if the higher spec version was just the same thing with the GPU performing at 5.7TF and a better cooling solution to compensate. I imagine they saw the results that checkerboard rendering gave and decided to just save the effort (and possibly higher cost of the console) and went with what we got.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Interesting. I remember before the PS4 Pro specs were officially announced that there were rumors that Sony was considering 2 options, one with the specs we got and one with higher specs. If true, I wonder if the higher spec version was just the same thing with the GPU performing at 5.7TF and a better cooling solution to compensate. I imagine they saw the results that checkerboard rendering gave and decided to just save the effort (and possibly higher cost of the console) and went with what we got.

I honestly wish they'd gone with the higher-end model, but also still stuck with the reconstruction strategy at the same time. Assuming there was also more RAM, we likely would've gotten some big improvements to resolution across the board reconstructed 4K probably being a lot more common), and better framerates on games that the current Pro can run at reconstructed 4K.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I asked in another thread but I suppose this thread is more appropriate. When discussing devkits for the PS5, what about PSVR2? How would devkits work on that? Would Sony need to cobble together something for devs to use, or would they use PC VR headsets that roughly approximate their intended specs? Or would devs simply have to wait until they're able to pump out early variants of the consumer headsets?

Also, would working on a PSVR2 devkit also require them to have a PS5 devkit?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe SVOGI or similar tricks will be used more next gen. For lighting I do like how metro looks, but you may be able to get a decent in between option without needing a lot of die space for dedicated RT.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly wish they'd gone with the higher-end model, but also still stuck with the reconstruction strategy at the same time. Assuming there was also more RAM, we likely would've gotten some big improvements to resolution across the board reconstructed 4K probably being a lot more common), and better framerates on games that the current Pro can run at reconstructed 4K.

While it would've been nice to get more power, I'm certain that would have increased the price. I imagine they figured the Pro would be a "good enough" upgrade to warrant its existence. Looking at the IQ we get on some games like Horizon and GoW, it's kinda hard to argue against it being good enough. The extra power probably would've helped some third parties though.

Status
Not open for further replies.