• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I don't know why, just because Sony are not doing it does not make E3 less relevant.
The Nintendo discussions reached a majority concensus that Nintendo were doing there own thing and not competing in the same space as Sony + Ms.

What do you mean, relevant? What do you mean by it, and how do you measure that? Is there a way to verify if being absent from E3 hurts the bottom line of the company? Do you feel that it is relevant because you like watching the conferences?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
That is not what you implied. Of course the conversation is more active; It is Sony after all, not some obscure publisher. What you have suggested, is that people are diminishing the importance of the venue on account of them being blindly supportive of any action Sony takes.

Oh I absolutely believe some of that is going on too because you see it with any move by any company, Sony included. It's not like we all started posting today with no post histories. I'm sure you could easily find a cross section of gamers that champion Sony and also feel E3 is no longer relevant now. I don't care enough to do so, so instead I will agree with you that it's all a coincidence. Perhaps those posters always felt that way and only now decided to talk about it because it's in the news. That's certainly possible.

Let's have some fun, based on absolutely nothing but past designs I suppose. Who will have the prettiest console? Who will have the smaller console? Who will have the quietest?

.....ms will have the quietest. I can bet on that

SONY hasn't made an ugly console (aside from the last PS3 slim) so I think they'll have the prettiest. I also wouldn't put it past them to have the quietest after the gripes this gen. Sony is pretty good about learning from mistakes moving forward. They may have the smallest also (obviously between them and MS, not Nintendo). The XB1S and XB1X were well made but Sony has a history of nicely built consoles so I can't count them out. The only thing that could sway it would be the fact that MS may be going for a cheaper SKU and that may lead to a smaller box (and less capable) by default. But I expect the hypothetical Anaconda to be bigger than the PS5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Oh I absolutely believe some of that is going on too because you see it with any move by any company, Sony included. It's not like we all started posting today with no post histories. I'm sure you could easily find a cross section of gamers that champion Sony and also feel E3 is no longer relevant now. I don't care enough to do so, so instead I will agree with you that it's all a coincidence. Perhaps those posters always felt that way and only now decided to talk about it because it's in the news. That's certainly possible.

SONY hasn't made an ugly console (aside from the last PS3 slim) so I think they'll have the prettiest. I also wouldn't put it past them to have the quietest after the gripes this gen. Sony is pretty good about learning from mistakes moving forward. They may have the smallest also (obviously between them and MS, not Nintendo). The XB1S and XB1X were well made but Sony has a history of nicely built consoles so I can't count them out. The only thing that could sway it would be the fact that MS may be going for a cheaper SKU and that may lead to a smaller box (and less capable) by default. But I expect the hypothetical Anaconda to be bigger than the PS5.

Love the OG ps4 design, I refuse to call it fat ps4 because frankly it was already small. I do find the slim ps4 to be ugly though

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Given how "big" some people seem to think next gen streaming will be to console owners and moreso to non-console owners, any guesses on how much of AMDs production is going to have to be devoted to filling up servers for streaming solutions? Given how enthusiastic some seem on the subject it feels like they'd have to devote more than 50% of their chips away from the consoles and to the servers. Any guesses? How much could that affect a launch window for a console?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I know ms/sony wouldnt do this for cost reassons, but I wounder what a cpu and a gpu, separate chips, on the same board using a shared ram pool would do performance wise. seems like the best of both worlds. gets the shared ram pool, but the power of discrete chips.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This... I can answer! The vast majority of it is due to heat generation due to the console size and form factor.

It's why the Xbox One X size is actually a miraculous display considering the amount of power in a relatively small package (smaller than the less desirable original model and much more powerful)

However, when you don't have the correct set up in a form factor, you risk large failure rates from consoles overheating and affecting other components silently before a big failure hits. The Red Ring of Death is a great example as theories around GPU heating and an untested solder technique we're guessed to be at the foot of it from Microsoft, alongside other theories of course.

So there must be balance between your heating and cooling apparatus. As such, optimal temperatures would factor in size, ventilation, fans, adhesive, and desired graphical output. And this would have long term ramifications of both console design and the resilience of the system to last.

Additionally, you need to be sure that the end user won't be inconvenienced especially hard by the power draw for extended sessions. Most devices are judged by tech sites when being plugged in to see how they would affect energy bills. This includes consoles.

So there's a lot to think about. I think others have stated the Watt draw is asked to be within more specific numbers than I could give so I'll let them answer that part. But it's a very important element of the console design to monitor heat output and heat dispersal through a form factor.

Not gonna lie, I feared this would happen with the PS4. I wonder if thats why the OG XBO was so big.

The fan sound of the Pro tells me it might have been close to happening.

Agree about aesthetics, the One S, X are some nice looking consoles.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I feared this would happen with the PS4. I wonder if thats why the OG XBO was so big.

The fan sound of the Pro tells me it might have been close.

Agree about aesthetics, the One S, X are some nice looking consoles.

Microsoft went overboard with wanting to avoid another RRoD situation.

Feb 10, 2018
Phil Spencer said:
The same team that delivered unprecedented performance with xbox 1x is deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to set the benchmark for console gaming

The more I think about this quote from last years E3, the more Lockhart and Anaconda start to make sense.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I will miss Sony being at E3, but I'm not going to attempt to smear E3s prestige and relevance because of it.
It just means Sony won't be on my and other games minds as much as past E3' s.
Not that I'm concerned for Sony in any way. They will probably announce PS5 at there own event this year, and not bothering with E3 is an attempt to have total occupancy of peoples attention.

Hate to break it to you, but if two of the big 3 amin platforms pulls out of E3 then its no longer relevant.

Only reason I am not flat out saying it has become irrelevant is because we don't know if sony is out or in. Like right now the only major publisher that doesn't have their own conference is Activision.

If you sincerely think E3 today is as important as it was say back in 2006 then I don't know what to say to you. I mean think of it, back in 2009 sony wouldn't have dared to not be at E3. And the way these things go, once companies start pulling out or ding their own thing, if the relevance f E3 has even dropped by as little as 10%...... that downward trend will continue and eventually it will be gone entirely.

If sony pulls out from E3 for good sometime in the next 3 years, and then MS follows suit.... I would love t see what you will say then.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Hate to break it to you, but if two of the big 3 amin platforms pulls out of E3 then its no longer relevant.

Only reason I am not flat out saying it has become irrelevant is because we don't know if sony is out or in. Like right now the only major publisher that doesn't have their own conference is Activision.

If you sincerely think E3 today is as important as it was say back in 2006 then I don't know what to say to you. I mean think of it, back in 2009 sony wouldn't have dared to not be at E3. And the way these things go, once companies start pulling out or ding their own thing, if the relevance f E3 has even dropped by as little as 10%...... that downward trend will continue and eventually it will be gone entirely.

If sony pulls out from E3 for good sometime in the next 3 years, and then MS follows suit.... I would love t see what you will say then.
yup I think sony is done, ms pulls out year after xbox launch, and nintendo ffallows. pax/gamescon is better place to spend your money.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Love the OG ps4 design, I refuse to call it fat ps4 because frankly it was already small. I do find the slim ps4 to be ugly though

The OG PS4 is beautiful. They nailed it as far as it being another iconic PS console. The Pro, while literally more of the same, is nice too. I don't think I've paid much attention to the slim. I'll have to Google it I suppose.

Feb 10, 2018

The thing is though Sony or MS could of had there own events back in 2009.
Obviously if the big platforms holders don't do E3, E3 will lose its appeal, because the platform holders drive the industry, but I disagree that now (which just so happens to be when Sony is not doing the E3 for the first time ever) is some pivotal time when E3 is not as important. The same can be said if were MS were to leave E3 but Sony didn't.

I mean shows are only as good as the content, but E3 has built a reputation for something unique and special.

Sony + MS not doing E3 is a completely different thing.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is though Sony or MS could of had there own events back in 2009.
Obviously if the big platforms holders don't do E3, E3 will lose its appeal, because the platform holders drive the industry, but I disagree that now (which just so happens to be when Sony is not doing the E3 for the first time ever) is some pivotal time when E3 is not as important. The same can be said if were MS were to leave E3 but Sony didn't.

I mean shows are only as good as the content, but E3 has built a reputation for something unique and special.

Sony + MS not doing E3 is a completely different thing.
pax and gamescon werent a thing in 2009, this time is difrent b/c they have other (better) shows than e3.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The OG PS4 is beautiful. They nailed it as far as it being another iconic PS console. The Pro, while literally more of the same, is nice too. I don't think I've paid much attention to the slim. I'll have to Google it I suppose.

PS4-Slim-cheapest-Black-Friday-deals-2016-736097.jpg

I don't know, i guess it's not that bad. It seems to look better in pictures than it does in person, which advertising wise is more important i suppose. I just always remember thinking it's ugly when i see one in person

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
fan focused, better floor layout, better time for showing stuff off to players, and 1/100 the cost for booth space. I am prity sure ms , sony, nintendo pay only a few hundread thousand for the same amout of space they pay 10 million for at e3.

And if you really want to have a conference, put on a PSX, use gamescom, paris games week.....It's not like they're struggling for options or exposure. It's not 2005 anymore where it was E3 and then basically nothing else

Feb 10, 2018
fan focused, better floor layout, better time for showing stuff off to players, and 1/100 the cost for booth space. I am prity sure ms , sony, nintendo pay only a few hundread thousand for the same amout of space they pay 10 million for at e3.
Fan focused? Really how are they more "fan focused" then E3?. Better floor layout? I guess it could be less crowded and less space to travel then E3, but the conference venue will be less Impressive, I think E3 does just a good a job as showing games to players.

So while smaller events have some advantages they also have some weaknessese in comparison to bigger events like E3.
Yeah, they probably cheaper, but that don't make them "better", especially for viewers of the event.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What's prettier, an OG ps4 or an xbox 1x? I'm just saying those two because i think they're the best looking of the bunch

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Fan focused? Really how are they more "fan focused" then E3?. Better floor layout? I guess it could be less crowded and less space to travel then E3, but the conference venue will be less Impressive, I think E3 does just a good a job as showing games to players.

So while smaller events have some advantages they also have some weaknessese in comparison to bigger events like E3.
Yeah, they probably cheaper, but that don't make them "better", especially for viewers of the event.
pax is half the size (36k attendies) for 1/100 the cost, and gamescon has 6x the attendies at over 300k with again much cheaper booth space. the ESA over played their hand badly.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/22/15850082/public-e3-fan-reaction

"mixed bag"

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/20/e3-thrilled-fans-but-everyone-agrees-the-show-must-change/

"disorganized and crowded"

Not to mention check any videos from Easy allies, Kinda funny games, Giantbomb etc from that 2017 and last years E3 and they will tell you ad nauseum about the problems E3 had.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017

"mixed bag"

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/20/e3-thrilled-fans-but-everyone-agrees-the-show-must-change/

Not to mention check any videos from Easy allies, Kinda funny games, Giantbomb etc from that 2017 and last years E3 and they will tell you ad nauseum about the problems E3 had.
gamescom at 6x the numbers is easeir to get around than e3. e3 has not handled becoming a consumer show well at all.

Feb 10, 2018

"mixed bag"

I don't know what your trying to prove here.
Also in the context of the conversation its not really aimed at logistical and organisational issues.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
PS4-Slim-cheapest-Black-Friday-deals-2016-736097.jpg

I don't know, i guess it's not that bad. It seems to look better in pictures than it does in person, which advertising wise is more important i suppose. I just always remember thinking it's ugly when i see one in person

Looking at it in pictures it is very nice looking. Lacking a bit of the polish of the OG but it's nice and cohesive. And more importantly it doesn't look cheap, just streamlined.

What's prettier, an OG ps4 or an xbox 1x? I'm just saying those two because i think they're the best looking of the bunch

I think the XB1X is prettier but I also can't give it full points because it came so much later. PS4 was a beauty and the design to beat from day one.

Feb 10, 2018
that e3 is a mess, no one likes it, and its reasson for being as a retail show no longer aplies. it has not made a good transition to consumer show when gamescon has 6x the people and its easer to get around than e3.

The issues I've heard from journalists are things like, travel, getting acomedation, B. O, ques, food.

I think they will be complaints in most large events.

But like I've already said this is not really is the point of debate.

It seems people are now finding any reason to make E3 look bad.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
that e3 is a mess, no one likes it, and its reasson for being as a retail show no longer aplies. it has not made a good transition to consumer show when gamescon has 6x the people and its easer to get around than e3.

Amen. E3 is very much something from a different time. Nintendo and Sony no longer have conferences at E3, only Nintendo and Microsoft of the three platform holders have floor space in the actual venue. I don't know how it can be argued that it's not slowly fading away. Microsoft brought back XO, how long until they decide they want their own day to control the news cycle? And how about Nintendo with their tree house videos? They're at random times and have the kind of announcements that would nicely fill out a traditional E3 conference. Sony already decided they wanted to control the news cycle with their own announcement times too, the don't want to be beholden to anyone but their own schedule. And i love E3, but it's a bygone era

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Looking at it in pictures it is very nice looking. Lacking a bit of the polish of the OG but it's nice and cohesive. And more importantly it doesn't look cheap, just streamlined.

I think the XB1X is prettier but I also can't give it full points because it came so much later. PS4 was a beauty and the design to beat from day one.

It's funny you mention it not looking cheap....i've never actually held one in my hands, so i don't know how solid it feels. as far as xbx 1x goes it's also the most expensive console, so it is going to look better. I mean a gti looks better than a standard VW Golf, but you get what you pay for. 1S and PS4 slim is more apples to apples

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
The issues I've heard from journalists are things like, travel, getting acomedation, B. O, ques, food.

I think they will be complaints in most large events.

But like I've already said this is not really is the point of debate.

It seems people are now finding any reason to make E3 look bad.
Amen. E3 is very much something from a different time. Nintendo and Sony no longer have conferences at E3, only Nintendo and Microsoft of the three platform holders have floor space in the actual venue. I don't know how it can be argued that it's not slowly fading away. Microsoft brought back XO, how long until they decide they want their own day to control the news cycle? And how about Nintendo with their tree house videos? They're at random times and have the kind of announcements that would nicely fill out a traditional E3 conference. Sony already decided they wanted to control the news cycle with their own announcement times too, the don't want to be beholden to anyone but their own schedule. And i love E3, but it's a bygone era
yup and please argue the direct we had last week wasnt e3 level. in 2019 you dont need e3 to reveal games, or do bussness with retailers, so why go over pax or gamescon.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
yup and please argue the direct we had last week wasnt e3 level. in 2019 you dont need e3 to reveal games, or do bussness with retailers, so why go over pax or gamescon.

I was directly thinking about that last treehouse in my post actually. My first reaction was literally "whoah, that's E3 level". Nintendo as usual, was the trailblazing risk taker (sometimes it works, sometimes it blows up) that decided E3 wasn't really necessary. I remember people lost their shit when they said no more E3 conference. Sony just took it to another level in deciding to not have floor space. At least i think they don't have any floor space? Also as far as presence goes....every game that has marketing rights with Sony will have a PS4 logo on it. Every game with marketing rights will be on the floor running on Ps4's. Sony is basically having other people do the work for them

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny you mention it not looking cheap....i've never actually held one in my hands, so i don't know how solid it feels. as far as xbx 1x goes it's also the most expensive console, so it is going to look better. I mean a gti looks better than a standard VW Golf, but you get what you pay for. 1S and PS4 slim is more apples to apples

I'd probably go 1S in that face-off because it really is a nice looking box, but again it was only after PS4 set the bar (IMO). OG PS4 vs OG XB1 is as apples to apples as you can get and OG XB1 loses that without question (again IMO).

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'd probably go 1S in that face-off because it really is a nice looking box, but again it was only after PS4 set the bar (IMO). OG PS4 vs OG XB1 is as apples to apples as you can get and OG XB1 loses that without question (again IMO).

I mean....that og x1 was a legit embarrassment if you're talking engineering team vs engineering team. Outside of it being a VCR it was a good chunk bigger and had the power supply on the outside. Felt like a massive reaction to the rrod issues of the past.....just like the x was a massive reaction to how derided that og design was. It's almost like they took it personally

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I mean....that og x1 was a legit embarrassment if you're talking engineering team vs engineering team. Outside of it being a VCR it was a good chunk bigger and had the power supply on the outside. Felt like a massive reaction to the rrod issues of the past.....just like the x was a massive reaction to how derided that og design was. It's almost like they took it personally

Well we were just speaking on aesthetics. The ways in which they fumbled the OG XB1 design-wise is a totally different topic. And I don't see it as them taking it personal, though fanboys on both side certainly did, but rather them listening to criticism and adapting in the same way that I just gave Sony props for.

Feb 10, 2018
Well we were just speaking on aesthetics. The ways in which they fumbled the OG XB1 design-wise is a totally different topic. And I don't see it as them taking it personal, though fanboys on both side certainly did, but rather them listening to criticism and adapting in the same way that I just gave Sony props for.

I actually liked the look of the OG X1, it was neat, minimalist and looked like a sophisticated piece of tech.
I suppose size was and issue but next to most A. V units it looked quite small in most TV stands. Plus it being the quietest console ever made it pretty amazing.
Far better then the angular monstrosity that was the PS4.
I just don't get the slant looks so bad.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I actually liked the look of the OG X1, it was neat, minimalist and looked like a sophisticated piece of tech.
I suppose size was and issue but next to most A. V units it looked quite small in most TV stands. Plus it being the quietest console ever made it pretty amazing.

Angular monster? Your opinion is what it is, but I think you might be in the minority there. The OG PS4 was a lot smaller than the OG XB1, was more powerful and had its power supply built in. It was a far better piece of engineering for the time.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

To each their own. I thought it did look a bit large and VCRish but I didn't think it was as ugly as folks were making it out to be. Uglier than the PS4 though.

Angular monster? Your opinion is what it is, but I think you might be in the minority there. The OG PS4 was a lot smaller than the OG XB1, was more powerful and had its power supply built in. It was a far better piece of engineering for the time.

Again, we were only speaking of the aesthetics of the 2 consoles. Engineering of the internals is a different convo that I obviously also have PS4 winning.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
LinkedIn profile of one of the patent holders mentioned completing a low power GPU design in 2017.
It's believed that Super SIMD and stream processor with high bandwidth and low power vector register file are closely related.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2018/0357064.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/markleather/

In this context, verification would either be post-fab verification or final device level simulation validation before fabrication.

Super SIMD high-level description:
Thanks for sharing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I will miss Sony being at E3, but I'm not going to attempt to smear E3s prestige and relevance because of it.
It just means Sony won't be on my and other games minds as much as past E3' s.
Not that I'm concerned for Sony in any way. They will probably announce PS5 at there own event this year, and not bothering with E3 is an attempt to have total occupancy of peoples attention.

Still think it's odd they aren't on the floor. While they had presentations about the four games last E3, I don't think they had them all playable on the floor? That's something they could clearly do - even if they don't have a lresentarion

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
E3 (in all its guises) has dropped in and out of relevance for years, for numerous reasons. I've been around long enough to see it happen. Why discussing that is seen as 'pathetic' I have no idea.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what your trying to prove here.
Also in the context of the conversation its not really aimed at logistical and organisational issues.

You can't ignore that though. Shawn Layden pointes out that organisationally and logistically a 'trade' show and 'consumer' show are very different. So when they allowed consumers into E3 it didn't really work - you have to decide which audience you're focusing on and build around that

Combined with the comments about E3 being less relevant for both publishers/platform owners and press due to the constant news cycle and other opportunities like PASx, gamescin etc then it seems the message is clear to the ESA - decide what you want to be - quickly - and execute. Don't try to be all things to all men

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
well, the leaker did explain that the developers asked for a delay and EA did not allow because they wanted to hit FY.
this makes a lot of sense considering Mass Effect andromeda also was in about the same scenario.

Yeah, with the early correction his initial 'it's going to be delayed' may have been more of an assumption based on the game being in a state where it should've been delayed. It wouldn't be his fault if EA sank lower than he expected when it came to putting out an unfinished game.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
GCN basically hasn't changed as an architecture between 1 and 4 with bulk of improvements being on chip memory tweaks and pipeline extensions and with 5th they've mostly reworked the backend (RBEs) to add FL12_1 support.

Of course each iteration of GCN is a derivative of the same architectural foundation, but saying it's basically not changed is factually incorrect when you even acknowledge the differences between each iteration.

I feel like you guys are just arguing semantics here.

GCN is also a GPU instruction set architecture so of course wild radical architectures changes aren't seen because it wouldn't thus be GCN anymore.

This is actually likely more or less correct as well if you're looking at an average and not some specific case where GCN2+ had added a lot of performance later on (which is mostly about tessellation and memory compression).
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-radeon-polaris-architektur-performance/2/ - GCN1 to GCN4 is +18% there with GCN5 going down a bit from GCN4 - so a +15% between 2012 Tahiti and 2017 Vega 10.

I can't access your link, but anyway, ok if we arbitrarily ignore a whole bunch of features introduced to the architecture between GCN1 and GCN5, while also ingnoring the fact that many of the big features have historically not always been exposed in the API or have gone under-utilised because they require specific developer addressing, then yeah it's basically an 18% difference.... which is basically 15%... which is basically the same as 10%....

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
E3 (in all its guises) has dropped in and out of relevance for years, for numerous reasons. I've been around long enough to see it happen. Why discussing that is seen as 'pathetic' I have no idea.

I'm pushing 40 so I remember reading about the Game Doctor breaking down the 2 yearly CES events. There's more chatter about how irrelevant E3 is now more than ever. And it's not hard to imagine that some of those folks are fans looking at it from a sour grapes standpoint. It's not a Sony thing, it's a fandom thing. "Lack of power, no BC, weak 1st party"? "The games are still fun, nobody wants to play old games, multiplats make up the majority of games". This isn't a chan board, we can all see the post histories. Personally I look forward to whatever Sony decides to show in the next year and I also look forward to their return to E3. It'll mean they have new stuff that they're ready to proudly show off.

Status
Not open for further replies.