• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclopsfire21

Oct 25, 2017
BaJ5j-UCIAAWPUG.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I think you must of missed these, and there's more.

That was used in a tongue in cheek because of the way microsoft was marketing Scorpio

Feb 10, 2018
They did these for few months around pro launch which is quite understandable to explain the point of these consoles to consumer aka more power than base .don't know where u get that idea from that all their marketing was like thay.they never mentioned PS4 is 40% stronger than x1 from 2013 to 2016 but u collectively leave those out .

I never said all there marketing was like that. Don't misstate what I say please.
Leave stuff out? Your mental gymnastics are really far out.
Just except the truth and move on.

That was used in a tongue in cheek because of the way microsoft was marketing Scorpio

Lol, no it was not.

Nov 12, 2017
They did these for few months around pro launch which is quite understandable to explain the point of these consoles to consumer aka more power than base .don't know where u get that idea from that all their marketing was like thay.they never mentioned PS4 is 40% stronger than x1 from 2013 to 2016 but u collectively leave those out .
Sorry isnt true ...they was touting it too also if they didn't needed seen that all the media did for them during the resolutiongate
But still they was putting out stuff like this ...listen the ending part

Nov 12, 2017
The same as you when people don't agree with you and show your old posts.
I'm not shy of my old post I've preferences as everyone else...but always try to rationalize and say the things from my prospective .....this doesn't paint me as someone weird like you try to make it pass from days..and I dont go around to call fanboy who dosn't think like me...But please let close this discussion here I'm sure we both look stupid perpetuating it ).

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is 24gb ram possible @$399?
The price is independent from the actual cost, so it is possible.
But, I personally think you don't need so much memory for executing games.

8GB of VRAM is still enough storage in the PC space even with ultra settings.
Give it some headroom add +2GB
Give the system and UI some space +4GB
Give the non gaming apps some +2GB which can be allocated to a game if needed

I think 10GB to 12GB for games is enough for 4K gaming.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017

Wouldn't it make sense, from a cost-saving point of view, to have a separate pool of slower (cheaper) memory for the OS?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wouldn't it make sense, from a cost-saving point of view, to have a separate pool of slower (cheaper) memory for the OS?
The memory may be cheaper but you need an extra memory interface on your SOC which makes that part more expensive. You also need the lanes on your board and I am nor sure if you are running into issues there to have enough space to implement those two memory controllers on the same silicon. So you save on one end but you also add cost and complexity on the other side of the equation.

Ever thought about why Non-semi-custom AMD APUs normally only use one type of RAM in general?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018

Given the reports on how NVidia's 2080 can hit its VRAM limits and cause stuttering at 4K, An issue the 11gb 1080ti and 16gb Radeon VII dot have to worry about, I think your estimates are too conservative.

Alternatively, if we take a title like RDR2, we know it's usually higher resolution textures on the XBX than the XB1, PS4 & PS4Pro and it does fit within the XBX's 12 gbs. However, it's a current gen title.

Looking ahead, we're going to see more demand for more types of textures (SSS, PoM, Displacement, flow maps) as well as higher resolution textures across a larger pool of dynamic objects at once. And larger shadow cache. Alongside that, I there's likely to be more demand for voxel grids for visuals and VFXs (indirect lighting, fog & clouds,, wind). Then there's the chance for more destructive (not Crackdown / Red Faction) scenery (think Arkham Knight). And I wouldn't be surprised if it became more common for NPCs to have things like clothes built in separate layers for more realistic movement and damage effects (similar).

But I do expect some of the texture demands to be offset by the increasing use of tech light HLods and Virtual Texturing though.

I also expect animation to improve significantly on the next generation through the use of more animations and motion matching to create more nuanced and intelligent reactions to the world around the player. And further demand for more persistence for unique information (wounds, environmental destruction, character dynamics, movement & resting of physics objects, etc).

I expect 16gb is the minimum we need for games to feel like a generation ahead, not just visually, but in terms of deeper, smarter worlds.

Many of us are hoping this is the case, especially if we're dealing with 16gb or less memory.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Is 24gb ram possible @$399?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer. Back in 2013 8GB of GDDR5 (using 16 4Gb modules) cost sony around $88. Going to 8 8Gb modules would bring that cost down to around $60. GDDR6 is around 30% more expensive but at double the capacity per module. So 16GB of GDDR6 will cost them around $78 today. So 24GB of GDDR6 will cost them around $120. Very possible if they are willing to take a loss on each console sold.

I don't see them ding it though, I am willing to be pleasantly surprised but I see them going for 16GB max + 4GB of DDR3/4 RAM. This is already being done in the PS4pro (8GB+1GB DDR3). This way their total RAM budget comes in at around $100. And 16GB is enough, just look at what the PS4 does with 5GB and the 1X with 9GB.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Short answer, yes.

Long answer. Back in 2013 8GB of GDDR5 (using 16 4Gb modules) cost sony around $88. Going to 8 8Gb modules would bring that cost down to around $60. GDDR6 is around 30% more expensive but at double the capacity per module. So 16GB of GDDR6 will cost them around $78 today. So 24GB of GDDR6 will cost them around $120. Very possible if they are willing to take a loss on each console sold.

I don't see them ding it though, I am willing to be pleasantly surprised but I see them going for 16GB max + 4GB of DDR3/4 RAM. This is already being done in the PS4pro (8GB+1GB DDR3). This way their total RAM budget comes in at around $100. And 16GB is enough, just look at what the PS4 does with 5GB and the 1X with 9GB.

They can't increase that slower ram completely though - they still need some main ram if they're keeping the same OS. Maybe they could get it down to 2GB so 16GB GDDR6 giving 14GB usable and 3GB reserved for OS, with a pool of 2-4 GB slower ram for the rest of the OS

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Given the reports on how NVidia's 2080 can hit its VRAM limits and cause stuttering at 4K, An issue the 11gb 1080ti and 16gb Radeon VII dot have to worry about, I think your estimates are too conservative.

Alternatively, if we take a title like RDR2, we know it's usually higher resolution textures on the XBX than the XB1, PS4 & PS4Pro and it does fit within the XBX's 12 gbs. However, it's a current gen title.

Looking ahead, we're going to see more demand for more types of textures (SSS, PoM, Displacement, flow maps) as well as higher resolution textures across a larger pool of dynamic objects at once. And larger shadow cache. Alongside that, I there's likely to be more demand for voxel grids for visuals and VFXs (indirect lighting, fog & clouds,, wind). Then there's the chance for more destructive (not Crackdown / Red Faction) scenery (think Arkham Knight). And I wouldn't be surprised if it became more common for NPCs to have things like clothes built in separate layers for more realistic movement and damage effects (similar).

But I do expect some of the texture demands to be offset by the increasing use of tech light HLods and Virtual Texturing though.

I also expect animation to improve significantly on the next generation through the use of more animations and motion matching to create more nuanced and intelligent reactions to the world around the player. And further demand for more persistence for unique information (wounds, environmental destruction, character dynamics, movement & resting of physics objects, etc).

I expect 16gb is the minimum we need for games to feel like a generation ahead, not just visually, but in terms of deeper, smarter worlds.

Many of us are hoping this is the case, especially if we're dealing with 16gb or less memory.
RDR2 uses higher texture on the X it's a news to me. Where coming from?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
They can't increase that slower ram completely though - they still need some main ram if they're keeping the same OS. Maybe they could get it down to 2GB so 16GB GDDR6 giving 14GB usable and 3GB reserved for OS, with a pool of 2-4 GB slower ram for the rest of the OS

I don't think so.

If they are keeping the same general system architecture (which I suspect they are) Then both the GPU and CPU is connected t the same northbridge. Which in turn is connected to the RAM, southbridge....etc. As long as both the CPU+PU can see all available pools of RAM no heavy architectural gymnastics need to be made. Only reason to take some of the faster RAM to complement the OS RAM is if the GPU can't see it so the RAM reserved from the faster pool will be exclusively for VRAM.

And 4GB of DDR4 will give them around 38GB/s of bandwidth which is more than enough fr an OS and OS based apps (netflix, youtube, browser....etc). They could even opt for 6GB of DDR4 RAM.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to steer back to discussing specs. I had a little time and I read through a couple pages of the console speculation thread on b3d and now I think it's entirely possible that Navi either won't be GCN, or the last iteration of GCN will be a significant improvement over previous versions regarding power efficiency.
Overall, my feelings towards next-gen consoles are positive again.
i think that the fact that Sony was so heavily involved in the Navi R&D process bodes well for substantial gains from the new architecture, even if its GCN. We dont know if Cerny and his team were invovled in the nitty gritty design discussions, but the fact that Navi was delayed so many times is good news for console owners, both PS5 and Xbox Two fans. Both Sony and MS engineers have a lot of experience working alongside AMD engineers by now, and there is no doubt in my mind and that the combine might of Sony, MS and AMD engineers working exclusively on the Navi should produce some great results.

I am actually hopeful for some kind of Ray Tracing cores. AMD CEO has said they are working on it, and its entirely possible that it might make its way into next gen consoles.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
i think that the fact that Sony was so heavily involved in the Navi R&D process bodes well for substantial gains from the new architecture, even if its GCN. We dont know if Cerny and his team were invovled in the nitty gritty design discussions, but the fact that Navi was delayed so many times is good news for console owners, both PS5 and Xbox Two fans. Both Sony and MS engineers have a lot of experience working alongside AMD engineers by now, and there is no doubt in my mind and that the combine might of Sony, MS and AMD engineers working exclusively on the Navi should produce some great results.

I am actually hopeful for some kind of Ray Tracing cores. AMD CEO has said they are working on it, and its entirely possible that it might make its way into next gen consoles.

Sauce?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same Forbes article that is pretty much our only source for all this conjecture,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...nys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#da7aafe24fda

Which brings us to, in my eyes, the more interesting revelation. According to my sources, Navi isn't just inside the Sony PS5; it was created for Sony. The vast majority of AMD and Sony's Navi collaboration took place while Raja Koduri -- Radeon Technologies Group boss and chief architect -- was at AMD.

Both Sony and MS have been closely working with AMD going back to last gen spec design. The mid gen console designs for both consoles had Polaris and Vega features IIRC. I expect them to be working even more closely for next gen consoles.

Nov 12, 2017
Same Forbes article that is pretty much our only source for all this conjecture,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...nys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#da7aafe24fda

Which brings us to, in my eyes, the more interesting revelation. According to my sources, Navi isn't just inside the Sony PS5; it was created for Sony. The vast majority of AMD and Sony's Navi collaboration took place while Raja Koduri -- Radeon Technologies Group boss and chief architect -- was at AMD.

Both Sony and MS have been closely working with AMD going back to last gen spec design. The mid gen console designs for both consoles had Polaris and Vega features IIRC. I expect them to be working even more closely for next gen consoles.
So the next architecture that will be in ALL amd GPU's line is created FOR Sony....okay
I don't even understand what this "contributor" was thinking

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
So the next architecture that will be in ALL amd GPU's line is created FOR Sony....okay

More like it was created with Sony's specifications in mind and AMD will made those things standard across all Navi products.. just like Vega was "created for Apple", no?

If this is true then Sony must've had some nice ideas and designs in mind. Going by Cerny's patents, I think they did.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wccftech has reported that story juste before this Forbes contributor.
https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-navi-gpu-roadmap-cost-zen/

Nov 12, 2017
More like it was created with Sony's specifications in mind and AMD will made those things standard across all Navi products.. just like Vega was "created for Apple", no?

If this is true then Sony must've had some nice ideas and designs in mind. Going by Cerny's patents, I think they did.

so ms will have some cerny's patents? :D all of this sound like an incredible bs from that forbes contributor...
probably some rumors from his "source" was hinting at the usual own customization that sony and ms will do ...(like always happen)
Apple got vega gpu a year later than those get released everywhere else.........sound very very bad for an exclusive product :)

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This was written by wccftech.com first. I know you have a huge enthusiasm for Xbox but it shouldn't surprise you that Sony has invested their coffers into AMD and PS5 with exclusivity and customization patents.

During PS4 launch Cerny commented on hardware customizations and how they are exclusive to PS4. And it shouldn't surprise you Sony is willing to open their checkbook for it

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

This is a good point that I see too often ignored by people who say 16GB is what they definitely will go with.
Some say high end cards today don't have more than 16GB today and they'll be probably still outperform next-gen consoles so why would they need more. As if there were cards with 8 gigs of RAM two years before the PS4/XO came out.

16GB is the absolute minimum, and that's only if, somehow, it's the only way to get some ridiculous-must-have high bandwidth and they've got 4 to 8 gigs of additional DDR4 RAM to support that 16. Which, as far as I understand, don't think is that likely of a setup, nor probably effective to begin with.

Nov 12, 2017
This was written by wccftech.com first. I know you have a huge enthusiasm for Xbox but it shouldn't surprise you that Sony has invested their coffers into AMD and PS5 with exclusivity and customization patents.

During PS4 launch Cerny commented on hardware customizations and how they are exclusive to PS4. And it shouldn't surprise you Sony is willing to open their checkbook for it
Both Ms and Sony console have different exclusive customization
that cerny worked on Navi with amd for their customization is more than certain (as Panay did too).....that Amd Navi could be a Sony AMD architecture is basically a non sense ...I don't see either them (Sony) paying them more to develop something that at the end would be on other products
Is 100% some customization that will end up on PS5 ...(exclusive customization) as xb2 will have too.
Basically that forbes article is a bs

But let go ahead and imagine Navi is PS5 exclusive ..you think that Ms go with Vega or wait to have the next step?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure I'd classify this as clickbait, but I'm a fan of The Verge. Seems like a level-headed take on some top-level details that we've already covered. It's worth remembering that there's a very large majority who aren't exactly thinking about next-gen consoles on a day to day basis like us. For those folks, articles like this are a good primer.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I'm not sure I'd classify this as clickbait, but I'm a fan of The Verge. Seems like a level-headed take on some top-level details that we've already covered. It's worth remembering that there's a very large majority who aren't exactly thinking about next-gen consoles on a day to day basis like us. For those folks, articles like this are a good primer.

I am not big fan of The Verge but,yeah,it's not bad i guess ,comparing to deluge of crap you can read on net these days about next gen consoles...

Anyway,just saw this in their comment section about what to expect from GDC:

"Tom Warren Senior Editor, The Verge
It's usually when we start seeing more leaks of consoles, due to closed door meetings with game devs etc. I'd expect we'll hear a lot more about both Anaconda and the PS5 soon."

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
so ms will have some cerny's patents? :D all of this sound like an incredible bs from that forbes contributor...
probably some rumors from his "source" was hinting at the usual own customization that sony and ms will do ...(like always happen)
Apple got vega gpu a year later than those get released everywhere else.........sound very very bad for an exclusive product :)

You...realize this is a common thing? That Vega was factually credited with Apple in mind and then the features they came up with were incorporated into the general architecture. Outside of the ones that were specific to apple patents of course

Nov 12, 2017
You...realize this is a common thing? That Vega was factually credited with Apple in mind and then the features they came up with were incorporated into the general architecture. Outside of the ones that were specific to apple patents of course
I don't know where you want arrive ..what change for the others gpus in other product if everyone is getting their customization? This is what will happen you know right ?
All this talk ...just following a crazy not trustful rumor

Feb 10, 2018
My gut is telling me PS5 will have a lower clocked Navi 10 GPU.
About vega 56 performance.

Navi exclusive for Sony?

Doubt its 8TF then, with Xbox supposedly using vega and gets better TF on old architecture.

I really doubt this, AMD may have started work on NAVI for Sony first but it won't be a Sony design. MS probably knew what AMD had available for them in 2017.
The Navi being made for Sony, does not mean Sony own Navi, like how apple did not own vega.

Also MS will have hardware goals, both Sony + MS will know what game + graphics technologies will make next gen "next gen" and they will have a hardware goal based on what 1st + 3rd parties have told them. Like Sony were wanting 1080p for PS4 or MS wanting 4k for the 1X.
So I don't think they just want the most TFlops but it's about making hardware which will fit with there overall strategy.
So the hardware they choose will be the hardware which best fits there goals at the cheapest price.

An example of this was the 1X which is a polaris GPU it could of had vega features such as fp16, but Ms didn't bother with it because they did not need it to fit there goals.

Last edited:

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

Smh there's no point in talking with you is there? Lol. Where did I say Vega was exclusive to Apple? Or mention anything about exclusivity? I never once thought Navi would be exclusive to Sony, but who's to say right now that Sony didn't have a hand in its development, specially with how quiet both parties have been.

It's no secret that Vega was made with Apple's needs in mind. Whether it benefitted other vendors or not doesn't even matter in this context. I'm saying that it could very well be true that AMD is collaborating with Sony to create Navi to make sure the product meets Sony's needs and design goals. If AMD takes some of those ideas and implements them into their wider range of products it means that they were meaningful. It'll even benefit Sony if AMD does this as it familiarizes more devs with whatever new features are implemented, meaning possibly more PC only devs bringing their games to consoles because of easier porting, who knows.

Why does this idea threaten you so much? It would not be the first time MS used Sony designs for their consoles anyways (look to 360, thanks to IBM..). And if the rumors are true, and Sony's designs end up helping Xbox in the end... what's the problem with that? Gamers end up winning in the end, why bring console and brand wars into it? I have to wonder how different this would be for you if the original rumors said MS worked with AMD on Navi instead of Sony.. something tells me you wouldn't be so adamantly against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.