• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I still think they have a 299 box as well, though this could point to a ultra high end box too.

Break even on the super premium, take a small loss on the super low SKU to drive volume, all "subsidized" by increased gamepass on Nintendo. That said I think people overestimate it's immediate impact....it'll be a long-term play. Internet issues are very much still a thing. I have Rogers internet in a major Canadian city and its still a crapshoot some days for me. Let alone the state of internet in Europe and data caps. It's an awesome play, but a longer term one. Not even neccesary "long term" it'll just take some time. I think we'd see the impact more towards the end of ps5

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Break even on the super premium, take a small loss on the super low SKU to drive volume, all "subsidized" by increased gamepass on Nintendo. That said I think people overestimate it's immediate impact....it'll be a long-term play. Internet issues are very much still a thing. I have Rogers internet in a major Canadian city and its still a crapshoot some days for me. Let alone the state of internet in Europe and data caps. It's an awesome play, but a longer term one. Not even neccesary "long term" it'll just take some time. I think we'd see the impact more towards the end of ps5
cant be worse than the US.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its very likely when xcloud gets up and running it will be part of games pass.

MS has said nothing about how xCloud will be sold. It may be sold under the "gamepass" moniker, but will streaming be added with no change in price? I doubt it. If it's entirely tied to GP, then it won't "stream every XBO game to any device" like many have mistakenly concluded. In either case there is nothing to stop Sony from evolving PS Now, which is why it's silly to assume xCloud+GamePass has any advantage.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
MS has said nothing about how xCloud will be sold. It may be sold under the "gamepass" moniker, but will streaming be added with no change in price? I doubt it. If it's entirely tied to GP, then it won't "stream every XBO game to any device" like many have mistakenly concluded. In either case there is nothing to stop Sony from evolving PS Now, which is why it's silly to assume xCloud+GamePass has any advantage.

In the end the only inherent advantage that gamepass has is that first party games are day one on service. Let's not pretend like sony couldn't change that in the snap of their fingers. Not to mention that Sony uses Amazon Web services which is a match if not better than Azure. Amazon wants to get into gaming....things could get creative

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
2019 release: almost 0% chance
Spring 2020 release: 10% ~ 15% chance
Fall/Holiday 2020 release: 85% ~ 90% chance

IMO, if PS5 launches "early" I think it would only be 1 or 2 months earlier than what most people expect (November 2020), meaning September or October 2020.
I've always wondered why in the age of massive preorders and holiday shortages why they don't get a couple million out of the way and the let that holiday bump kick in right AFTER the initial fervor. Could get 6 million in 4 months if they sell out which I think they would. I think September would be perfect plus it's when my birthday is

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered why in the age of massive preorders and holiday shortages why they don't get a couple million out of the way and the let that holiday bump kick in right AFTER the initial fervor. Could get 6 million in 4 months if they sell out which I think they would. I think September would be perfect plus it's when my birthday is

Maybe they love the "it's fucking sold out everywhere!!!??!?111" headlines?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
In the end the only inherent advantage that gamepass has is that first party games are day one on service. Let's not pretend like sony couldn't change that in the snap of their fingers. Not to mention that Sony uses Amazon Web services which is a match if not better than Azure. Amazon wants to get into gaming....things could get creative

The streaming wars going to be interesting in the up coming years .
Figure we have at least 1 more gen before streaming really take off .

I should note that is going to funny when you see Google or Amazon pay for certain games streaming rights on there service only.
We still going to get money hats it just won't be for hardware any more lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The streaming wars going to be interesting in the up coming years .
Figure we have at least 1 more gen before streaming really take off .

I should note that is going to funny when you see Google or Amazon pay for certain game streaming rights on there service only.
We still going to get money hats it just won't be for hardware any more lol.

I could easily see amazon getting in bed with Sony gaming wise. Sony has the studios, IPs, brand recognition and Amazon has the infrastructure. Amazon and Bezos have so much money that quite frankly time is more valuable, and in this situation time is VERY valuable. Sure they could build up what Sony has, they have the capital. But in that time, they are so far behind MS, and it's not like Sony would stand Pat. Makes more sense to get in bed with PlayStation

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I could easily see amazon getting in bed with Sony gaming wise. Sony has the studios, IPs, brand recognition and Amazon has the infrastructure. Amazon and Bezos have so much money that quite frankly time is more valuable, and in this situation time is VERY valuable. Sure they could build up what Sony has, they have the capital. But in that time, they are so far behind MS, and it's not like Sony would stand Pat. Makes more sense to get in bed with PlayStation

Amazon and Sony teaming up would be a huge move.
Just don't see it happening any time soon because Sony sell loads of hardware and games right now.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

xCloud won't be limited to Game Pass.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Just out of curiosity. Suppose AMD performs a miracle and manages to match the power efficiency of Nvidia. Is it even possible to ballpark estimate the performance of an APU with size the same as PS4pro for example?

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
All this talk about streaming..... am I the only one that dreads what it will become? Every major publisher having their own streaming service. Having to have multiple service subscriptions to et all the games. Games being tied to your subscription so if you unsubscribe you lose access to the games....

And all this talk abut FP day one Gamepass stuff.... do you guys really think that MS will be ding that if they had a platform that could consistently sell 8M t 10M physical copies of their games?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I always said it won't be possible to have a powerful next gen console for 400$. And the first pricing indications for Scarlet confirms it. A powerful PS5 at 399$ ? not happening.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It would be easy for Amazon and Google to partner with someone if they wanted to get into gaming, but it is not something that is so important that it is the only way they can get into the industry especially with the infrastructure and money they make off other ventures. It would be much easier for them to get third party stuff, invest in a few studios and they have a platform that is viable and will grow as streaming continues to gain traction.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
It's the same reddit leak we discussed earlier in this thread It's fake.

Even Brad Sams said it's fake.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It's the same reddit leak we discussed earlier in this thread It's fake.

Even Brad Sams said it's fake.

From the other thread,by Get_Crazy user:

in the article, it's said:
"during our investigation, we also had the confirmation that [the specs] that leaked in january were close to the reality"

so the specs featured in the article are indeed a repost from the reddit leak but their own sources told them it was pretty much true. And the journalist who wrote the article said he worked on it for almost 2 months so I'm encline to believe him, he's legit.

Btw,these French guys were the first to say Nier:Automata was heading for Xbox

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It would be easy for Amazon and Google to partner with someone if they wanted to get into gaming, but it is not something that is so important that it is the only way they can get into the industry especially with the infrastructure and money they make off other ventures. It would be much easier for them to get third party stuff, invest in a few studios and they have a platform that is viable and will grow as streaming continues to gain traction.

Honestly with the type of cash they got they can simply come in and buy a publisher like THQ Nórdic and already have tons of IPs

Nov 12, 2017
I said give up on winning sales. Ofcourse they will still make consoles. But for them game pass is their future.
Them? I think the entire Industry Will move there is inevitable at this point....look any other media out there.....from software with adobe...to movie with Netflix ..to audio with Spotify (I'm naming just the leaders in their respective market)
Console hw sales itself is not what was in the 90' and are very...very risky (look wiiu, PS3,og Xb1)
Services and mau's are the future

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
MS should launch with Halo Infinate and Minecraft 2. A 12+ tf console would be beast, wonder if it will do raytracing

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
From the other thread,by Get_Crazy user:

in the article, it's said:
"during our investigation, we also had the confirmation that [the specs] that leaked in january were close to the reality"

so the specs featured in the article are indeed a repost from the reddit leak but their own sources told them it was pretty much true. And the journalist who wrote the article said he worked on it for almost 2 months so I'm encline to believe him, he's legit.

Btw,these French guys were the first to say Nier:Automata was heading for Xbox
It's fake.

Watch the Brad Sams video you'll understand why it's fake. He explains it in the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-dd0ERdY8

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
And this is from Jeuxvideo guy in another thread,ChewbieFR:

"Freelance writer for Jeuxvideo.com here. As on the news side we often talk about credible rumors that circulate around the web, I can assure you this website's own affirmations are very, very rare and well thought. Maybe two, three times a year? I didn't talk to Epyon about this but I'm sure he published this because he's certain his sources are reliable, and the editor in chief also thinks so. They probably talked about it for days ^^ Also Epyon reported that NieR Automata Xbox version that was true."

Tom Warren,from The Verge,added that "not all of those specs are accurate".

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Honestly with the type of cash they got they can simply come in and buy a publisher like THQ Nórdic and already have tons of IPs
If you look at what Amazon is doing and trying to accomplish with Prime Air and Prime Air Cargo over the short to medium term and the investment needed to make all of that work.

Amazon and Alphabet are behemoths that do not need any platform holder to get into gaming. They could simply buy several developers like Microsoft has done and couple that with a publisher like THQ Nordic/other and they immediately have a development team that they can initially see as a third party outfit as they wait for streaming to become a mass market venture. Alternatively, they could simply go the Google Pixel route where you have a great product that struggles to have mass market appeal but is kept because of how key a platform is to a company.

They could merge with someone like Nintendo or Sony, but that is not the most important way for them to get into gaming. Free to play games like Apex, Fortnite and PUBG, how many people these games were able to reach have shown that you need not have a platform holder in tow to have mass market success.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
they basically confirm what the verified user already did: scarlett will use an SSD, they did not say what about the GPU or the CPU or the Ram.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't say that "it's pretty much true" in the article. They said "our sources told us those specs are close to reality, and confirmed the presence of SSDs in both machines".
So the only thing they're confirming is
- SSDs in both machine (not up to interpretation)
- they're close to reality, this bit being up to interpretation

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
they basically confirm what the verified user already did: scarlett will use an SSD, they did not say what about the GPU or the CPU or the Ram.

What?They gave GPU and RAM info,just no CPU clock for Zen.

Tom Warren added that not all of that is accurate,but yeah,we know more or less what to expect now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They don't say that "it's pretty much true" in the article. They said "our sources told us those specs are close to reality, and confirmed the presence of SSDs in both machines".
So the only thing they're confirming is
- SSDs in both machine (not up to interpretation)
- they're close to reality, this bit being up to interpretation
they dont even say what in there is close to reality, which makes this whole discussion quite worthless.
it would be better to discuss what they did say:

1) SSD
2) lockhart possibly featuring no blu ray drive
3) anaconda probably bring priced at 499$

What?!? They gave GPU and RAM,just no CPU clock for Zen.

Tom Warren added that not all of that is accurate,but yeah,we know more or less,what to expect now.
you misread the leak. the specs were just a repost of the xbox reddit leak where they say they heard something simialr.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they dont even say what in there is close to reality, which makes this whole discussion quite worthless.
it would be better to discuss what they did say:

1) SSD
2) lockhart possibly featuring no blu ray drive
3) anaconda probably bring priced at 499$

Yup as well as the two software bits reported (Halo crossgen in fall 2020 and NT game for early 2020)

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
This is what was stated in the article

- Two Scarlett devices announced this E3: Lockhart and Anaconda
- Lockhart = entry level device, no disc drive, digital focused machine
- Anaconda = high end device, price similar to Xbox One X's launch price
- Xbox should announce a disc drive less Xbox One in the coming months
- Launch fall 2020
- For the specs sheet, they say that this is what was rumored to be but can only confirm the presence of SSDs on both machines. They're NOT confirming the full sheet.
- Halo Infinite is a launch crossgen game
- Ninja Theory's game is slated for early 2020

They don't confirm specs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i think a critical point that should be discussed is the part about lockhart possibly not featuring a disc drive.
PS3 managed to succeed even with a horrible launch because of the blu ray drive. i think it is still important for consoles to have a disc drive so they could be sold to casuals as a media device in addition to being a game console.
i guess netflix could achieve that as well, but i dont believe that people dont use disc media anymore.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
And this is from Jeuxvideo guy in another thread,ChewbieFR:

"Freelance writer for Jeuxvideo.com here. As on the news side we often talk about credible rumors that circulate around the web, I can assure you this website's own affirmations are very, very rare and well thought. Maybe two, three times a year? I didn't talk to Epyon about this but I'm sure he published this because he's certain his sources are reliable, and the editor in chief also thinks so. They probably talked about it for days ^^ Also Epyon reported that NieR Automata Xbox version that was true."

Tom Warren,from The Verge,added that "not all of those specs are accurate".

Which in turn means most of the specs are accurate

As you say we know now what to expect, more or less

Status
Not open for further replies.