• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep! Seems like this is all but locked in right now. Makes sense that details would be getting out there when we know that Xbox had some strategy meetings within the past month or so. I'll be curious to see if it's a full reveal, or a Scorpio-style tease. I'm also very interested to see if Microsoft will return to the E3 show floor in a big way this year, or if they'll sick to their own venue again.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
When I read the rumor, my first thoughts were "Why would they reveal it 2 years in advance?" I was still sleepy and I didn't realize we are in 2019. 1 year in advance seems ok for the kind of position Xbox is in, especially if it will be taking a while until PS5's reveal as they would have gaming sites' full attention talking about their new consoles, games and services instead of having them spread out with PS5 news around. It's probably better for them to reveal it before the other side does reveal their own.

I don't really have a... horse(?) right now but from my point of view, this + the seemingly upcoming news about Xcloud make lots of sense. I don't think they will reveal the console physically though, or perhaps they will showcase the dev kit case for the console/s instead.

All of this should become more clear by GDC, right?

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't PS5 be more powerful than the high-end Nextbox while also being cheaper or competitively priced? Sony did it this gen, it stands to reason that they could do it again. Well, I'll wait and see rather than becoming concerned about all these next-gen rumors and speculation. There's so many crazy developments that I'm interested in seeing how things play out. I wonder would Google's flagship console be ad laden to generate ad revenue from different advertisers and how would react to that were that the case. I think Google getting involved in console gaming sets precedent and marks the inevitability of Apple eventually entering the ring and there being five key players in video games.

TheRoyalBoob

Nov 16, 2017
I've been following this thread with interest and all the speculation of system cost to power and selling at a loss for an early period.
I was curious as to whether Sony / MS factor a typical spend per user cost over the lifetime of the console cycle into the price?

Games, online subscriptions, extra controllers etc over 5-7 years all add up right?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Google translate:
"Navi 10 feels that there is a possibility of a die larger than the imagination. It should have been the monster core originally called Bermuda."

cc: anexanhume

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
So is Microsoft okay with revealing their next generation console at E3 2019 and releasing it more than a year and a half later? Won't hype die down with that much distance between reveal and release? I remember one user here telling me that the next generation consoles will only have a 6 month window between reveal and release, similar to an iPhone launch due to how quickly the general masses lose hype fast, and this was back to when i proposed that the PS5 will be revealed at PSX 2019 and released nearly a year later at Q4 2020.

Now granted it worked for the Scorpio but that was a mid gen refresh aimed for the enthusiast market rather than the rest, different marketing and priority.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Why can't PS5 be more powerful than the high-end Nextbox while also being cheaper or competitively priced? Sony did it this gen, it stands to reason that they could do it again. Well, I'll wait and see rather than becoming concerned about all these next-gen rumors and speculation. There's so many crazy developments that I'm interested in seeing how things play out. I wonder would Google's flagship console be ad laden to generate ad revenue from different advertisers and how would react to that were that the case. I think Google getting involved in console gaming sets precedent and marks the inevitability of Apple eventually entering the ring and there being five key players in video games.

It could match it, but MS won't fuck up like last time - they'll be aiming for power. If Sony matches the $499 Anaconda, it'll be through taking an extra $100 loss, which they absolutely could do. They may also be able to get better APU prices than Microsoft on the basis that they will be likely to purchase a larger number than them.

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018
but psnow doesnt have current tiltles games pass does, and if its day and date streaming. that is a big deal.

That is now. Since XCloud and related MS services using it are not announced we are still reacting to unknowns/rumors. But, yes from what little we do know and expect from Microsoft XCloud/GP, Sony will have to make changes to be competitive. With Microsoft moving into game streaming in the near future and competition most likely form Google, possibly Amazon, Verizon, and Apple on the horizon there is no way Sony is not taking steps to be more proactive with how they support PSNow. Otherwise, Sony might as well drop the service now because if Sony keeps the status-quo of PSNow the service will get crushed by the others. By the looks of it, Microsoft will try to bring game streaming on any device (according to rumors even the Switch) and as you point out it will have first day releases from first-party, even continue showing 0-day or even a few months after releases from third-party, a strong list of AAA recent games. In no universe do I not see Sony not trying to bring out a similar plan. Just on third party games, it needs to up its game. Its list is quite bare of any recent games compared to how Microsoft treats its current GP service. Sony needs to support their service with their long list of first-party games (Why they haven't already is beyond me). Otherwise, they will just be service that has older games compared to the other services and its only advantage will be that is the only way to stream to PS consoles. I think Sony knows all this. Will they react correctly is the question not will they react.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
So,Thurrott confirmed MS will repeat Scorpio at this E3...bold move.Sony better have some serious meetings in their HQ soon,looking forward to see how Jim Ryan responds when he takes over in April.

Jan 20, 2019
So,Thurrott confirmed MS will repeat Scorpio at this E3...bold move.Sony better have some serious meetings in their HQ soon,looking forward to see how Jim Ryan responds when he takes over in April.

It is a bold move, if they will talk about specs, they will give the advantage to Sony by knowing in advance what Microsoft is up to.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Sony could counter by switching out their parts for bulk high end ones from Newegg.

LOL, yeah the thought these companies can change multiple year plans for consoles based on stuff like that is just silly. And with a 2 SKU approach they probably don't care as much about minor tweaks if they expect 'Anaconda' to be more powerful than a PS5.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
That is what it sounds like to me. I hope works out for them. I would like to see more of a shift to this type of information letting.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
What meetings? They have a roadmap laid out already. I'm sure they know a lot more about what Microsoft is doing than Thurott does.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
What meetings? They have a roadmap laid out already. I'm sure they know a lot more about what Microsoft is doing than Thurott does.

What i was thinking is that if MS announces next gen consoles at E3 in June,Sony can not afford to stay quiet for much longer whether they like it or not.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The contrast between Sony (and all insiders it seems) being exceptionally quiet and Microsoft basically outlining everything (mostly via Brad and co) and sending the PDF to everybody's dog too is stark.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
This is just a complete wild guess, but I am starting to think that Sony may release the PS5 next spring of 2020 with some big reveal thing later this year at a PlayStation 25 year anniversary type event. That could also explain some why Microsoft would be willing or want to talk about next generation Xbox hardware at E3 so that people are aware that they are bringing stuff in fall 2020 before people hear about the Sony PS5 release. At one point I would have thought it would hurt Microsoft to go second, but if they have a 2 SKU approach that ends up with the more powerful option being known in advance combined with their xCloud and Game Pass push I don't think that it necessarily matters too much.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
This is just a complete wild guess, but I am starting to think that Sony may release the PS5 next spring of 2020 with some big reveal thing later this year at a PlayStation 25 year anniversary type event. That could also explain some why Microsoft would be willing or want to talk about next generation Xbox hardware at E3 so that people are aware that they are bringing stuff in fall 2020 before people hear about the Sony PS5 release. At one point I would have thought it would hurt Microsoft to go second, but if they have a 2 SKU approach that ends up with the more powerful option being known in advance combined with their xCloud and Game Pass push I don't think that it necessarily matters too much.

MS launched Scorpio leak in spring 2016 and officially at E3 that year cause i think they knew Sony would launch Pro in late 2016 and they will be 1 year late.
I wonder what MS knows about Sony plans now...

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Mark Cerny said spec lockdown is two years out. This would have ms reveal a year and a half out...do spec lockdown times ever change or is it a logistical situation ?

Jan 20, 2019
LOL, yeah the thought these companies can change multiple year plans for consoles based on stuff like that is just silly. And with a 2 SKU approach they probably don't care as much about minor tweaks if they expect 'Anaconda' to be more powerful than a PS5.

They can change many things, as long as the console is not in production they can change whatever they want.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
They can change many things, as long as the console is not in production they can change whatever they want.

Not major architecture things unless they want to push out their own release by quite a bit, it isn't like somebody is building a home PC and making last minute choices on Newegg orders to spec it out.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
We're...we're not thinking late 2019 again are we?

lol,don't worry.
Whatever plans Sony had to talk about PS5,i wonder what are they gonna do if MS goes first and announces next gen consoles in June.They can not afford the luxury to stay quiet about PS5 for much longer after their competition,especially cause they probably have weaker console then high end Anaconda.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
lol,don't worry.
Whatever plans Sony had to talk about PS5,i wonder what are they gonna do if MS goes first and announces next gen consoles in June.They can not afford the luxury to stay quiet about PS5 for much longer after their competition,especially cause they probably have weaker console then high end Anaconda.

If and if.

We know nothing, far as we know Sony could have the most powerful console and even sell it at a loss for 399$.

There's zero facts regarding anything next gen besides that both are using Ryzen.

Feb 8, 2018
All this talk about streaming..... am I the only one that dreads what it will become? Every major publisher having their own streaming service. Having to have multiple service subscriptions to et all the games. Games being tied to your subscription so if you unsubscribe you lose access to the games....

And all this talk abut FP day one Gamepass stuff.... do you guys really think that MS will be ding that if they had a platform that could consistently sell 8M t 10M physical copies of their games?

yes streaming does actually have major downsides. Disc Drives are a important alternative option of consumption

Jan 17, 2019
lol,don't worry.

What Sony should do? MS wants to forget this gen ASAP and get out from it as long Sony and Nintendo beating the shit out of X1 in terms of sales. Sony HAS the luxury to stay quiet about PS5 because they are in cruise control with PS4, not MS.

Jan 20, 2019
The only thing they can do late in the day is upping the clock speed. Nothing major.

Yes , what im talking about is, Microsoft is gonna reveal the console on June 2019 and release on the Fall of 2020.

If Sony is gonna release the ps5 on Fall 2020, that gives them at least 6 months in advance without annouancing the ps5 and at least 9 months to release the console, that is more then enough time to change.

Feb 8, 2018
I see we have yet another Xbox "leak"! I do question the whole "reveal at E3 2019" thing. If anything, I'd expect that to mean we get a tease like with Scorpio. A full on reveal over a year in advance seems silly unless Scarlett is coming in Spring.
I agree, It probably wouldn't make much sense business wise. unless lockhart is Q4 2019/Q1 2020 the likelyness of it being more than a tease is small

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yes , what im talking about is, Microsoft is gonna reveal the console on June 2019 and release on the Fall of 2020.

If Sony is gonna release the ps5 on Fall 2020, that gives them at least 6 months in advance without annouancing the ps5 and at least 9 months to release the console, that is more then enough time to change.
What are you going to change that late? You have done years of research and development, looked at what works for your platform with a set feature of design goals that you have met and you now want to dump that and start from scratch because you saw someone release some specs?

Adding RAM when densities went up was something simple that it could be done late in the day when it came to the Playstation 4, a total redesign of the SoC is not something that is likely to happen. Not unless to want a delay.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Sony last gen change from 4Gb ram to 8Gb, soo yes, they can change it.

They were able to do this because densities doubled last minute, so to speak. There were no massive component changes to speak of.

Not the architecture of course, but they can change the CPU, the GPU and even increase the price of the console.

They can change clock frequencies (not CPU/GPU) but that requires thousands of hours of testing and cooling changes as a result, which can spiral into many different delays. So the answer is "sure they could, but they likely won't for various reasons"

Consoles are decided on years in advance for a reason.

Jan 20, 2019
They were able to do this because densities doubled last minute, so to speak. There were no massive component changes to speak of.

They can change clock frequencies (not CPU/GPU) but that requires thousands of hours of testing and cooling changes as a result, which can spiral into many different delays. So the answer is "sure they could, but they likely won't for various reasons"

Consoles are decided on years in advance for a reason.

Yah it makes sense.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The contrast between Sony (and all insiders it seems) being exceptionally quiet and Microsoft basically outlining everything (mostly via Brad and co) and sending the PDF to everybody's dog too is stark.
To me it gives off a feeling of desperation as if they can't wait to leave the past behind and move on where as sony is waiting until everything is ready and the time is right.

Definitely interesting and completely opposite approaches

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
To me it gives off a feeling of desperation as if they can't wait to leave the past behind and move on where as sony is waiting until everything is ready and the time is right.

The 18 month lead time and the leak stating outright they are releasing in fall 2020 suggests they're somewhat comfortable with their plan.

I'm more nervous about what Sony plan as they are literally giving nothing away right now.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
The 18 month lead time and the leak stating outright they are releasing in fall 2020 suggests they're somewhat comfortable with their plan.

I'm more nervous about what Sony plan as they are literally giving nothing away right now.

I think Sony's silence is great for the time being... Let hype continue with Days Gone and Dreams...

I'm sure we'll get some news after those 2 are out of the marketing equation.

Meanwhile Cerny is doing he's work with AMD on PS5 without having to worry about E3 or upcoming events where he has to show anything

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh, isnt it safe to assume both Sony and Microsoft probably already know about each other's consoles specs? They are already working with third parties and they are all in the same industry and conversation all the times. Plus, AMD.

There is no way they don't know what each one is going for already.

In that sense, "revealing specs first" is not important or revealing at all for these companies.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017

It's less of a leak and more of a detailed unofficial press release at this point! I think Sony are just keeping quiet until they're ready, while MS are letting the cat out of the bag right from the off; it's going to be very interesting from here on out

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So let's all go back to those

Or they're doing this all now because Sony has something massive planned hardware wise and want to get out infront so theyre not drowned out and shamed like last gen where they released second AND were weaker specs wise.

Now I don't believe any of that.....
But see my point? Depending on which point of view you look at it, both scenarios make perfect logical sense. It's Schrodinger's cat situation.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, isnt it safe to assume both Sony and Microsoft probably already know about each other's consoles specs? They are already working with third parties and they are all in the same industry and conversation all the times. Plus, AMD.

There is no way they don't know what each one is going for already.

In that sense, "revealing specs first" is not important or revealing at all for these companies.

I think that they "know" generally what each other are capable of doing just based on current available technology and their own cost calculations. I do think that the next Xbox hardware is likely to be more powerful due to the 2 SKU approach and the cooling solution that was used on the X showing me that they may be able to eek out some more performance due to cooling tech.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

MS literally has nothing to lose at this point, the more disruptive they are, the more in the news cycle and public consciousness they become.

As long as Sony doesn't drop the ball on price or performance, they are going to have a lot of momentum going into next-gen no matter what MS says or does.

It's absolutely shaping up to be an interesting fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.