• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is untrue. Every generational gain across many hardware aspects has been almost precisely proportionally equivalent, until this coming one. PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4 all had roughly 8 times the FLOPS increase per 5 years time, exactly 8 times the RAM for each 5 years difference, etc. Now such a thing is impossible.

Nope. PS2 was roughly 6.6 Gflops, PS3 was 230 Gflops. Thats 37 times the Flops increase from the PS2. the PS4 is 1.84 tflops which is a 7.9x increase in computational power.

Xbox was 20 Gflops. Xbox 360 was roughly 250 Gflops. Roughly a 12x increase. Xbox One X was only 1.3 tflops which is roughly a 5x increase.

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/4/

As you can see, the difference has been steadily decreasing. It's not been roughly 8 times every gen. not even close. PS1 to PS2 jump was even bigger.

The disparity in VRAM increases is even higher. PS2 was a weird system, and it did a lot with just 4MB of RAM. So thats not a good barometer. But if we look at the original Xbox which had 64 MB of RAM, the 512 Xbox 360 shipped with is just an 8x increase. Both PS4 and Xbox One shipped with 8GB of RAM which is 16x the increase. This gen needed that extra push of RAM, next gen doesnt. a 2-3x increase should be more than efficient. We dont need an 8x increase to 64GB or a 16x increase to 128GB just to match last gen's increase. That is complete overkill.

Lastly, the PS4 is 1.84 tflops. 7x is 12.88 Tflops. We should be around that especially now that the consoles have been delayed to 2020 and Phil Specner not shying away from pushing Sony and wanting to win the power race. MS will undoubtedly have a 12-14 tflops system which would be a 10x increase from the Xbox One and 7x increase from base PS4.

P.S The CPU jump alone should be massive. Roughly double the clock speed and an extra thread per core should result in some lively games. lots more NPCs and environmental interactivity, livelier worlds. current gen worlds like red dead and horizon will look dead by comparison. And as great as a 10x jump would be, the current console CPUs have proven to be the bottlenecks just like the RAM was last gen, so expect engineers to overcorrect and go with a powerful CPU and compliment it with a decent 7-8x GPU increase with a lot of customizations that allow for Ray Tracing or if not ray tracing, some kind of custom secret sauce to do 4k without eating up the GPU resources.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So, let's break out the napkins and do some math. If Zen represents a 50% IPC increase over Jaguar, and Zen 2 is another 15% on top of that, all you have to do is scale the clocks from 1.6 to 2.8GHz to come up with a rough performance increase of 3x. This should be regarded as a safe low-bound because the clocks are not likely to be lower, anything that can take advantage of SMT will see an additional boost, and any kind of job with a significant floating-point workload is going to see much more than a 15% boost compared to Zen thanks to the doubled datapath. All told, the jump in CPU power should be much more similar to the transition between 6th and 7th generation consoles, rather than the paltry increase from 7th to 8th.
Trying to follow here, we should have much greater CPU jump than 3x next gen right?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Superb! A new thread and a fresh new start to the discussion.

Kudos again to anexanhume for the awesome write-up.

5nm and 3nm may both end up being so expensive that they offer zero to no opportunities for cost reduction for a console.

Price per wafer has gone up drastically with each new node and 7nm looks to be the cut-off, it may end up being econimical for anything other than small, low power mobile chips to move to 5nm and beyond.

There's a reason AMD and the rest of the industry consider 7nm to be a long node.

Also, I would consider Sony and MS would rather see record profits from subscription and digital revenues re-invested in the platform that provides additional opportunities for further profit growth.

Absorbing higher losses than PS4 won't do anything other than eat into margins for the duration of the gen.. It's literally pouring money away.

Well, perhaps not miniscule, but I have no idea what the shipping and handling costs are. I would expect, however, them to be no more than a couple of tens of dollars at the most per SKU shipped... probably much less.

The latter statement from Kodera is true, but I don't think that implies Sony is willing to take a bigger loss - well, not a significantly larger one.

My view is that the additional loss they will be willing to take will be that to absorb the increase in price per APU of a similar silicon and TDP budget as liverpool, together with whatever higher proportional increase in RAM cost GDDR6 implies in today's post-crypto market.

All in all, I see that evening out on a console APU no more aggressive than the PS4 was at $399, or the XB1X at $499. I do highly doubt that will eventuate in anywhere near a $100 loss per unit, however, which is what was being suggested in the other thread.

If they only have 16GB GDDR6, the RAM cost will likely be less.

Trying to follow here, we should have much greater CPU jump than 3x next gen right?

3x is min. Applications highly FP dependent may be closer to 4-5x with max theoretical boost around 6x.

Considering how little Intel IPC has moved in the last 7 years, it's a big upgrade.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd like to know where is coming this sureness that supposed ps5 has been delayed to 2020...pro was out in 2016 the same year of the RX 480. Why AMD with NAVI scheduled in 2019 should be delayed on ps5 in 2020? Because Sony has announced to miss the 2019 E3? Not saying 2019 is a given but we don't know nothing about anything of concrete for now and it seems a bit weird ps5 will be launched with a tech already aged of 1 year.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. PS2 was roughly 6.6 Gflops, PS3 was 230 Gflops. Thats 37 times the Flops increase from the PS2. the PS4 is 1.84 tflops which is a 7.9x increase in computational power.

Xbox was 20 Gflops. Xbox 360 was roughly 250 Gflops. Roughly a 12x increase. Xbox One X was only 1.3 tflops which is roughly a 5x increase.

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/4/

As you can see, the difference has been steadily decreasing. It's not been roughly 8 times every gen. not even close. PS1 to PS2 jump was even bigger.

The disparity in VRAM increases is even higher. PS2 was a weird system, and it did a lot with just 4MB of RAM. So thats not a good barometer. But if we look at the original Xbox which had 64 MB of RAM, the 512 Xbox 360 shipped with is just an 8x increase. Both PS4 and Xbox One shipped with 8GB of RAM which is 16x the increase. This gen needed that extra push of RAM, next gen doesnt. a 2-3x increase should be more than efficient. We dont need an 8x increase to 64GB or a 16x increase to 128GB just to match last gen's increase. That is complete overkill.

Lastly, the PS4 is 1.84 tflops. 7x is 12.88 Tflops. We should be around that especially now that the consoles have been delayed to 2020 and Phil Specner not shying away from pushing Sony and wanting to win the power race. MS will undoubtedly have a 12-14 tflops system which would be a 10x increase from the Xbox One and 7x increase from base PS4.

P.S The CPU jump alone should be massive. Roughly double the clock speed and an extra thread per core should result in some lively games. lots more NPCs and environmental interactivity, livelier worlds. current gen worlds like red dead and horizon will look dead by comparison. And as great as a 10x jump would be, the current console CPUs have proven to be the bottlenecks just like the RAM was last gen, so expect engineers to overcorrect and go with a powerful CPU and compliment it with a decent 7-8x GPU increase with a lot of customizations that allow for Ray Tracing or if not ray tracing, some kind of custom secret sauce to do 4k without eating up the GPU resources.

I said performance increase over time, not just generations, as the consoles are coming out a different number of years from each other, of course. After all, the rate of transistor count per cost over time has been steady until very recently. PS3 to PS2 was proportional to PS2 over PS1 given the time difference, as I said.

You can't just look at VRAM differences either, because the way the systems address RAM varies wildly. You must look at total available system / video memory. Again, the PS4 & X1 had a LARGER gain because MORE YEARS transpired between PS3 and PS4 than between previous generations. You say 64GB RAM is overkill, but if the production pipeline was taking advantage of that RAM, and it would be if we actually had it in PCs and consoles, it would not be overkill. RAM increase is responsible for a large amount of the increase in fidelity over console generations. You're making a cart before the horse sort of dismissal of importance.

I think the CPU difference might be a bit overstated, because the current vanilla consoles were relatively well balanced for gaming, but have fallen out of proportion with the console revisions. But we'll see how much that factors in soon enough. Maybe if PC games took advantage of the extreme difference in CPU there I could point to an existing game and agree with you. (I don't necessarily disagree, I just have no gaming evidence to assert either way) But my i9-9900k really isn't too heavily used.

It doesn't even matter, because you will see for yourself soon enough when the next consoles are released.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to know where is coming this sureness that supposed ps5 has been delayed to 2020...pro was out in 2016 the same year of the RX 480. Why AMD with NAVI scheduled in 2019 should be delayed on ps5 in 2020? Because Sony has announced to miss the 2019 E3? Not saying 2019 is a given but we don't know nothing about anything of concrete for now.
They need time to make and test the games. Pro just was an enhaced version of an existing console, this one is going to be brand new with everything. In addition to this, PS4 is still selling like hotcakes so won't want to stop it, it would be more profitable for them to wait.

I think they never planned a 2019 release and always had 2020 in mind. My bet is November 2020 release for PS5.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They need time to make and test the games. Pro just was an enhaced version of an existing console, this one is going to be brand new with everything.
I think they never planned a 2019 release and always had 2020 in mind. My bet is November 2020 release for PS5.
Considered the mid gen success, they could initially launch ps5 how enhanced machine of the same games and slowly abandon the ps4; exclusives will coming first or later. They could use this excuse to price moderately higher the ps5 and share the lifespan with the ps4 hardware leaving to the masses more choice until the price is accessible for all.
I mean to me nothing is clear to establish what will be their strategies about the ps5.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New thread smell!

Great post from Alex!

Looking forward to the reveal in early 2020 and a late 2020 launch!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'd like to know where is coming this sureness that supposed ps5 has been delayed to 2020...pro was out in 2016 the same year of the RX 480. Why AMD with NAVI scheduled in 2019 should be delayed on ps5 in 2020? Because Sony has announced to miss the 2019 E3? Not saying 2019 is a given but we don't know nothing about anything of concrete for now and it seems a bit weird ps5 will be launched with a tech already aged of 1 year.

I cover this in the "Press Leak Luck" and "Equines' Opines" sections on page 1.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats what happened this gen. PS4 GPU is based on the Pitcairn line of AMD 7000 series. it was released in 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

HD 7850 is very close to the PS4 GPU.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS will show their big guns at E3 2019.
Sony will drop hints immediately after E3.
Both going for $499.

PS. Great OP. :)

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Electronics Inc. Media Days News Conference

https://www.ces.tech/event/Sony-Electronics-Inc-Media-Days-News-Conference.aspx

Livestreams

t1546909200z4.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvtjN5yBAg
https://livestream.com/sony/ces

Again, I'm not expecting anything major PlayStation related from this press conference, mostly posting for reference.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
True but they have their reasons at the time. I don't see Sony release a tech aged an year older this time, at least looking at the PS4 pro. Just I guess.
You do know it takes a shitload more work to build and validate an entire SoC than just a single GPU, right? Sure, MS/Sony will be adding their own flavour to it, but overall it still remains a semi-custom chip. Expecting the consoles to not lag behind in some aspect compared to dedicated chips is nuts, especially today.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is completely unrealistic.We will get some leak with full PS5 specs in the next few months and you can expect official announcement few months after that maximum.

Why?

Considering a Fall 2020 launch for PS5, a reveal in 2019 doesnt make sense. That would mean more than 1 year from reveal to release, which would be very weird in this day and age.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
New thread hype! Lets hope that for the next 400 pages we get some serious rumors about the hardware.

CELL 2 with Reality synthesizer ray tracing incoming!!!

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
What means "reveal"? For example, do you count E3 2016 as the reveal of Xbox One X?

I think Microsoft will tease its next Xbox at E3, but they won't reveal it before 2020 (or maybe even 2021). And Sony won't pronounce the word "PlayStation 5" before 2020 (2021).

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
New thread hype! Lets hope that for the next 400 pages we get some serious rumors about the hardware.

CELL 2 with Reality synthesizer ray tracing incoming!!!

Lol. What if Sony let AMD use Cell vectorization tech in Navi? 🤔

lol won't happen, but would be interesting

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You do know it takes a shitload more work to build and validate an entire SoC than just a single GPU, right? Sure, MS/Sony will be adding their own flavour to it, but overall it still remains a semi-custom chip. Expecting the consoles to not lag behind in some aspect compared to dedicated chips is nuts, especially today.
AMD said to have worked for years with Sony for the NAVI tech. Why a ps5 SoC couldn't be absolutely feasible in late 2019? I don't get it. Doesn't sounds so unrealistic to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
What means "reveal"? For example, do you count E3 2016 as the reveal of Xbox One X?

I think Microsoft will tease its next Xbox at E3, but they won't reveal it before 2020 (or maybe even 2021). And Sony won't pronounce the word "PlayStation 5" before 2020 (2021).

I was thinking about clarifying this, actually. By reveal I mean an event or segment where they say "We're here to talk about PS5/New Xbox". They don't even have to show the real console(We didn't see the PS4 model until E3 2013 even though we saw the controller and games).

In the scenarios you mentioned, I wouldn't take a tease as a reveal. I take E3 2016 as the reveal of the Xbox One X because they mentioned the specifications of the console.

If they do with Scarlet like what they did with Scorpio at E3 2016, I would take that as a reveal:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was thinking about clarifying this, actually. By reveal I mean an event or segment where they say "We're here to talk about PS5/New Xbox". They don't even have to show the real console(We didn't see the PS4 model until E3 2013 even though we saw the controller and games).

In the scenarios you mentioned, I wouldn't take a tease as a reveal. I take E3 2016 as the reveal of the Xbox One X because they mentioned the specifications of the console.

If they do with Scarlet like what they did with Scorpio at E3 2016, I would take that as a reveal:

IMO a reveal is a name and some top level specs at the very least. So the PS4 reveal without the controller would be enough.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Yay new thread.

2020 is going to be mind-melting. I think Sony will follow their 2013 PS4 playbook to a "T" with PS5.

February PlayStation Meeting - E3 blowout - November release.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That would be stupid IMO. Doing something different is much riskier than what worked so incredibly well. Their new leadership should be aware of that.
I think the should evaluate what worked well, and what didn't, but understand that things can always be done better and do whatever they think works best. Replicating the same strategy doesn't guarantee success, and certainly doesn't sound like growth and improvement.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
A 2019 console reveal isn't really farfetched.

Adam Boyes and Shahid Kamal.

The guys who nailed PS4's launch are all gone now.
Boyes and Shahid were critical for third party relations but I don't think they were high enough to shape the platform that much. The third party team still seems to be in pretty good hands.

Feb 10, 2018
Where there's smoke there's fire.
Sony not doing E3 and other events is a lot of smoke.
I think they are doing there own events so they can control the narrative for ps5 as much as possible in 2019.
But I do expect a spring 2020 PS5 launch, with scarlett coming in early autumn to not give Sony a big lead.

PS5
Zen2 8core 2.8ghz
12.6 Navi gpu
18 GDDR6
64gb flash chip
1tb sata HD
$399

X1S2
Zen2 8 core 3ghz
12.8navi gpu
18gbGDDR6
64 Flash chip
1tb sata HD
$399

X1X2
Zen2 8core 3.4ghz
16.8tflop Navi gpu
24gb gddr6
64gb Flash chip
1tb sata
$499

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I think the should evaluate what worked well, and what didn't, but understand that things can always be done better and do whatever they think works best. Replicating the same strategy doesn't guarantee success, and certainly doesn't sound like growth and improvement.

Double down on Powers. J/K

I think this launch both parties will come correct

Status
Not open for further replies.