• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
GDC isn't over yet and there are a number of AMD-sponsored sessions there: https://gpuopen.com/gdc-2019-presentations/

Nice. I hope the last 2 features will become RTFX instead and will be presented soon:

gpuopen-12.jpg

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I told you 500 bucks is the reasonable price for late 2020 and many are expecting this too. If they aim for 400 bucks then no way the console would have amazing hardware and can be called true next-gen. They really shouldn't gamble with the power this time even if they have to increase the price.

The perfect timing would be 2021 for the best combo of price and power but I don't think neither Sony or Microsoft would wait that long. Even if someone waits till 2021 the otehr will take advantage and release his console in 2020.

Oh I see you updated your post

Are people sure it Will have Zen2? If so, why?

It is what AMD is going with for everything. No reason to expect anything else.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually a really good point. If I'm doing my math right, it's something like 30% bigger of a jump.
exactly. im beginning to think that the 14.2 tflops Project Epsilon leak was real. thats definitely possible on a $499 console if Sony wishes to launch at that price. $399 10+ tflops should be a given at this point.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Are people sure it Will have Zen2? If so, why?

AMD is clearly making the next generation SoCs for both based on their comments. The APUs will likely be 7nm to be a performance jump over current half-gen consoles. Zen 2 is a native 7nm design, so less work and cheaper to use that. Zen 2 is also a highly performant CPU core. Sony has been making LLVM commits related to the Zen family of processors.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
13.8TF isn't too implausible. In the old thread there was someone with Bethesda contacts that said they were expecting 12-13TF from next-gen.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering if system latency will be (or can be) a focus of the next gen. Knowing that streaming is a future state, anything that can be done to reduce latency is probably worth looking at,

There's:
Input Device latency (gamepad bluetooth to system)
Latency in the hardware itself to take inputs and output to HDMI
game software latency
Display latency (not under their control)

I don't have a lot of visibility into if these items are material or even addressable.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if system latency will be (or can be) a focus of the next gen. Knowing that streaming is a future state, anything that can be done to reduce latency is probably worth looking at,

There's:
Input Device latency (Dual Shock Bluetooth to PS4)
game software latency

I don't have a lot of visibility into if these items are material or even addressable.

Without forgetting that PSVR2 may be wireless: https://gearnuke.com/ps5s-next-gen-ps-vr-2-could-possibly-work-wirelessly/ Knowing that such device requires high precision, I wonder about latency too for a such wireless device.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
13.8TF isn't too implausible. In the old thread there was someone with Bethesda contacts that said they were expecting 12-13TF from next-gen.

Could you link that? I don't remember.

Didn't Pete Hines tease he knew some next gen info?

Anything 12TF or above makes me a happy camper. Especially if Navi has a native 20-30% efficiency boost.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

There's:
Input Device latency (gamepad bluetooth to system)
game software latency

I suspect they will be a focus thanks to streaming. I expect Sony and Microsoft will be working to reduce latency across the board - both in-game via SDK on a software level, and on a hardware level. Moving to a focus on 60fps would help immensely, something Phil Spencer alluded to when talking about next-gen.

Display latency is also being reduced every year now by the major manufacturers - LG and Samsung seem to be in latency wars. This year's LG OLEDs will have only 13ms of lag - and even less again when using VRR.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019

It is on the very high end. Something disruptive would need to happen to make 13.8TFLOPs happen at a reasonable price point (also I think expecting 13.8TFLOPs based on the 13F8 codename from AMD is pretty far fetched and wishful thinking) even on 7nm.

Of course I won't say it is impossible and I don't want to undermine other peoples speculation and expectations, but I think close to 14TFLOPs for a 399$ (maybe 499$) would be so high that I would be pants down impressed even if it came out in late 2020.

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of 8 cores @3Ghz, 12-13TFs and 20GB RAM is mouth watering. I'd pay $500 but I'd think Sony would do $400 considering their forecast said heavy losses for 2019-early 21

I can see PS5 launching at $399 in spring 2020 and then wireless PSVR 2 launching at $400-$500 holiday 2020 to combat the Xbox next gen launch.

Can't wait to see what Insomniac can do for Ratchet on 10TF+

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It is on the very high end. Something disruptive would need to happen to make 13.8TFLOPs happen at a reasonable price point (also I think expecting 13.8TFLOPs based on the 13F8 codename from AMD is pretty far fetched and wishful thinking) even on 7nm.

Of course I won't say it is impossible and I don't want to undermine other peoples speculation and expectations, but I think close to 14TFLOPs for a 399$ (maybe 499$) would be so high that I would be pants down impressed even if it came out in late 2020.

I agree, 13F8 could mean something else, but still, I wouldn't rule it out. For all we know Navi could be highly efficient.

Could you link that? I don't remember.

Didn't Pete Hines tease he knew some next gen info?

Anything 12TF or above makes me a happy camper. Especially if Navi has a native 20-30% efficiency boost.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...-and-specification.3436/page-101#post-5294384

12-13TF was mentioned when I asked for clarification. Not based on actual dev kit specs though. Just a ballpark expectation.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Not shading the poster I'm quoting, but every time someone posts or references this post, the internet gets a little dumber.
Lol why? Do you know something we don't, or is it just gonna be "those specs are fake and impossible cuz I say so"?

checked it was 19 days after GDC
https://kotaku.com/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-5896996
gdc 2012, march 5-9

i think thats the first one?
I think June 2012 was the first time we got something concrete (gpu specs), but the RAM was rumored to be 2 with the potential to be upped to 4, and 7 months later was upped to 8. The cpu was something else too(steamroller), probably a very early ps4 dev kit http://vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Lol why? Do you know something we don't, or is it just gonna be "those specs are fake and impossible cuz I say so"?

I think June 2012 was the first time we got something concrete (gpu specs), but the RAM was rumored to be 2 with the potential to be upped to 4, and 7 months later was upped to 8. The cpu was something else too(steamroller), probably a very early ps4 dev kit http://vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/

To be fair, I can't imagine the CPU situation changing that much this time. Zen2 really is the only option here, unlike back then when Steamroller just wasn't right for a console. The RAM change was also very last-minute - would be hilarious if that happened again.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017

Wasnt the 8GB GDDR5 a huge surprise when they announced it?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It was. Well, at least it was to me haha. I wasn't really following specification related leaks by then but it was one of the things that caught most people off guard.

It was a huge surprise even for Sony first party devs who only had 4GB devkits an developed launch games with 4GB in mind. Imagine if the PS4 was shipped with 4GB RAM or even 2 GB. The 8 GB at that time was seen as somthing huge yet as soon as the console released, the devs hit a wall and complained about it being not much. Same for the otther stuff. The stuff we are discussing and what many cry loudly to be too much will be no that much when the console releases.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
To be fair, I can't imagine the CPU situation changing that much this time. Zen2 really is the only option here, unlike back then when Steamroller just wasn't right for a console. The RAM change was also very last-minute - would be hilarious if that happened again.

Steamroller wasn't ready, not that it wasn't going to be right for the console.

Steamroller was planned and then got delayed. AMD instead offered 8 jaguar cores and the assumption was that asynchronous compute could make up the difference to a certain extent - i.e. offloading as much parallelizeable traditionally CPU work onto the GPU as possible.

MS also went further to bake in the SHAPE sounds processor to further offload the CPU.

Sony added the small ARM processor in the southbridge for backup OS tasks, again as a bit of a remedy for Jaguar's modest performance.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Steamroller was planned and then got delayed. AMD instead offered 8 jaguar cores and the assumption was that asynchronous compute could make up the difference to a certain extent - i.e. offloading as much parallelizeable traditionally CPU work onto the GPU as possible.

MS also went further to bake in the SHAPE sounds processor to further offload the CPU.

Sony added the small ARM processor in the southbridge for backup OS tasks, again as a bit of a remedy for Jaguar's modest performance.

Moreover, Steamroller was only 10% faster than Jaguar. It would have a lot higher TDP too.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Thrashroller was already bad. Using Jaguar made the Celeron in OG Xbox look like a powerhouse. Which just shows that Sony really was so shocked with the PS3 fallout that they went back to drawing board and literally did a 180 on hardware philosophy (not just the design). If anything, Sony always emphasized a really powerful (and versatile) CPU. Jag was something Kutaragi would laugh so hard on.

Moreover, Steamroller was only 10% faster than Jaguar. It would have a lot higher TDP too.
Source on this?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Thanks for the details.

Seriously? It sounds like Steamroller kind of sucked. Thank the makers for Zen.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Google Stadia shit is probably going to kill console gaming. 4k 60 fps in HDR. Like wtf. The input latency was negligible in the demo he showed running on like six platforms within seconds.

I just dont see why casuals would buy a $399 or $499 console over this.

Oh shit they just should a 56 CU graphics card running at 10.7 tflops. crazy. they were using AMD all along. what a betrayal lol i wonder if Sony's $399 console will be 10.7 tflops now that stadia is basically free with a subscription service. wowow.

P.S How can Sony justify selling a 10.7 tflops console for $399 with google stadia essentially being free.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nope. im in the same boat. i think releasing a weak so-called lite xbox two will hurt the more expensive SKU. Not only that, it will hurt PS5 multiplats AND PC games because like you said it will effectively hold back next gen. i really hope MS doesnt do this.
for the reasons you're stating I'm hoping MS just eats the loss on one sku and I honestly think that will be better for them. Keep it simple and you can still be most powerful

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Iso-clocks?

Surely Steamroller would have been able to clock much higher?

I know Steamroller underwhelmed though, since it was a derivative of Bulldozer.

Thrashroller was already bad. Using Jaguar made the Celeron in OG Xbox look like a powerhouse.

Sorry, what now?

Jaguars are much faster than the OG Xbox CPU. It's not even close.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Guys this is exactly what i said earlier, Teraflops are now a marketing tool, no other future console wants fewer teraflops then there competitor next gen.

D2CcuUnWkAApzZg.jpg

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Finally next-gen specs!

nextgen49k5u.png

Vega 56 Frontier edition (notice RAM size)
Iso-clocks?

Surely Steamroller would have been able to clock much higher?

I know Steamroller underwhelmed though, since it was a derivative of Bulldozer.

Sorry, what now?

Jaguars are much faster than the OG Xbox CPU. It's not even close.

Yes, I should have specified I meant IPC, which is always iso clocks. See the image I posted.

Stadia is a terrible name. It sounds like an artificial sweetener.

Status
Not open for further replies.