• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe MS have got the right strategy next gen then with their 2 sku approach. A sku for the price conscious and a sku for the hardcore performance conscious. Win, Win?

Sure, it's smart for them to cover both cheap and expensive options but then it comes down to if they can get their games division up to scratch. They are going to need to up the quality if they hope to compete with Sony and Nintendo. Power won't matter for anything if they keep putting out 50%-60% rated games. It's basically the reason why I own a PS4 and a Switch and haven't got an Xbox this gen.

Considering the length of a generation, yeah 9tf would be quite low in my opinion. But I agree that it totally makes sense to release a 399$ console, that's the sweet spot. I just wish I had the possibility to buy a PS5+ at launch at 499, juste like smartphones, but it won't happen.

Personally I think it might be around 10-11TF (hopefully anyway) but if they did go with 9TF, they could make up for it with a PS5 Pro in 3-4 years.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it is. the fidelity of those games is beyound 1.8tf!

Based on what?... In-engine cutscenes?

We technically haven't even seen those games yet anyway. All we've seen are vertical slice demos that may or may not be representative of the final game.

Regardless, I don't see anything in those demos beyond the PS4. The games are announced on PS4 and are PS4 games.

They aren't going to be designed for the Pro and downgraded for the PS4, they'll be designed for the PS4 and upgraded for thw Pro.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If they can get the spec not different from the higher end model it will be good.

I'm thinking 7-8tflop for low end and 12tflop for high end.
It can't be to big a gap because if devs choose to really push graphics at 1440p or 4kcb the lower end should have to be 1080p.
If the low end was 6tflops or less you might be getting 900p or even 720p resolutions further down the line.

But I think 2 price points is the best.

Have a
7.4tflop gpu
Zen2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb HDD
Possibly digital only
$299

12tflop gpu
Zen 2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb ssd
4k UHD bld
$499

And how will they able to deliver this 299 machine in 2020 when in 2019 the Xbox One X still costs 399?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
If they can get the spec not different from the higher end model it will be good.

It can't be to big a gap because if devs choose to really push graphics at 1440p or 4kcb the lower end should have to be 1080p.
If the low end was 6tflops or less you might be getting 900p or even 720p resolutions further down the line.

Have a
7.4tflop gpu
Zen2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb HDD
Possibly digital only
$299

12tflop gpu
Zen 2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb ssd
4k UHD bld
$499

So i have a question about this possible 2 sku thing.
We know you need roughly 4x the TFLOPS to go from 1080p to real 4k.
So, my problem with that 7,4TFLOP sku, is that if you actually pushed graphics for such a gpu at 1080p, and that would look awesome, then there is no way the 12TFLOP one would reach 4k then. So.. what.. You would need to target 4k at 12TFLOP i guess and 1440p or even higher at 7,4 ?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So they'll drop the price of the Xbox1X or discontinue it.

With a 7TFlops next-gen console that is fully BC, the XB1X has far less reason to exist.

But that's not my point.
My point is that a 299 Next Gen system is something that feels completely off.
I know it's something that have been discuted a lot around here for a long time but every time I see people bringing this 299 price tag to a next gen system it feels more like wishful thinking than something that really can be achieved.
Maybe I'm tripping and yeah MS will be able to build a next gen box at this price...but when I look at PS4/One release prices, then at Pro, after the X and the whole increase at prices for RAM and GPU last year the math simply doesn't make sense.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that's not my point.
I know it's something that have been discuted a lot around here for a long time but every time I see people bringing this 299 price tag to a next gen system it feels more like wishful thinking than something that really can be achieved.
Maybe I'm tripping and yeah MS will be able to build a next gen box at this price...but when I look at PS4/One release prices, then at Pro, after the X and the whole increase at prices for RAM and GPU last year the math simply doesn't make sense.
It only doesn't make sense to you because you got confused on how non-essential goods are priced.

There are certain things that are esential, like water, food and medicine. These things tend to get very expensive as the demand increases because everyone need them and can't walk away.

But videogames is a non-essential good. So they are priced only as much as what the consumers are willing to pay, regardless of the cost of materials. If your dream console would cost $699 to make, the company isn't going release it at $699; the company would simply NOT make or release it.

The cost to make a console is irreverent here. You start out with what the consumer is willing to pay, and work backwards to get the machine you could sell. You don't start with a machine, and then price it via the manufacture costs. That was what PS3 did and why it fell flat on its face. The price is what was decided on, the machine will just fit around that.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It only doesn't make sense to you because you got confused on how non-essential goods are priced.

There are certain things that are esential, like water, food and medicine. These things tend to get very expensive as the demand increases because everyone need them and can't walk away.

But videogames is a non-essential good. So they are priced only as much as what the consumers are willing to pay, regardless of the cost of materials. If your dream console would cost $699 to make, the company isn't going release it at $699; the company would simply NOT make or release it.

The cost to make a console is irreverent here. You start out with what the consumer is willing to pay, and work backwards to get the machine you could sell. You don't start with a machine, and then price it via the manufacture costs. That was what PS3 did and why it fell flat on its face. The price is what was decided on, the machine will just fit around that.

I get what you are saying and agree with that.
But my point is : what can be achieved with a 299 box?
Does the numbers thrown around here for a 299 box make any sense?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The fact of the matter is that next gen is almost two years away. It's still way too early for any of these talks. The only devs making next gen games are first party studios.
it is not a fact yet, it could still be one year away with an early 2020 launch.

So, with GDC almost over, no birds, rumours or credible sources, to fuel some discussion on new gen prior to E3?
thing is, the next gen leaks usually takes a few weeks after GDC. with the pro it even took until mid april.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You could use your logic for all the consoles, how is PS5 going to be $399 in 2020 when ps4 Pro is still $399
They should cut pro and base by $100. Then they'd have a nice scaled pricing of $199 (mass market price), $299 (not quite next gen), and $399 (next gen)

Though ideally they would make PS5 BC and discontinue pro. Still cut the base price though so you can get ps4 many millions more sales at a price that ps3 never got to.

Jun 18, 2018
Even if they do, that won't stop news outlets and fans from comparing the PS5's TF to it's next gen competitors, just like with this gen, don't think that Sony can change the narrative here.

Really? I mean, Microsoft are likely to have a pretty similar GPU and also the PC market update their benchmarking methods and software on a regular basis.

If there is a more accurate method for comparing GPU power in those consoles to Google's hardware and PC GPUs, then I think we'll hear about it. And if it's both valid and proves that what's on those console GPUs is significantly better than the competition, expect console fans to is those metrics.

I mean, it's only really this gen that forums talked about console GPU power in terms of FLOPS on a regular basis.

Feb 10, 2018
They should cut pro and base by $100. Then they'd have a nice scaled pricing of $199 (mass market price), $299 (not quite next gen), and $399 (next gen)

Though ideally they would make PS5 BC and discontinue pro. Still cut the base price though so you can get ps4 many millions more sales at a price that ps3 never got to.

I think the pro will be laid to rest.
They will do a digital ONLY $99-150 ps4 super SLIM (that can stream PS5 games via psnow) and do a $499 PS5.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a massive presence in developing countries, where they'd do a low-cost model for. But a digital-only console for these markets is DOA.
In the event that they'll let the PS4 stream PS5 games via PSNow (which I'm doubtful of to begin with), then it'll be supported by all models anyway, so a digital-only model is just redundant.

Feb 10, 2018
Sony has a massive presence in developing countries, where they'd do a low-cost model for. But a digital-only console for these markets is DOA.
In the event that they'll let the PS4 stream PS5 games via PSNow (which I'm doubtful of to begin with), then it'll be supported by all models anyway, so a digital-only model is just redundant.

Oh right, then we disagree....
For the poorer markets they would sell off remaining PS4's.

The digital only will be for western markets as a competitor to Google 4k chromcast.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I get what you are saying and agree with that.
But my point is : what can be achieved with a 299 box?
Does the numbers thrown around here for a 299 box make any sense?

Whether it makes sense or not is not something anyone here can possibly have an accurate handle on without nnowing the actual costs, so while I see what you're trying to say, your questioning specs. vs a $299, $399 or $499 price is an exercise in futility because besides looking at launch prices of consoles -- that only tell a part of thw story and will have launched between 3 and 7 yrs prior to the PS5 -- there's no way for any of us to make any sort of accurate analysis.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Even with some difference I can't see a 40% more powerful box on either side like we had for PS4/xb1

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Yeah it's still almost two years away, but it's only about a year (maybe less) until we start hearing about the consoles regularly. And finally see what a next-gen game looks like, which I have been wondering about for a while.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yeah it's still almost two years away, but it's only about a year (maybe less) until we start hearing about the consoles regularly. And finally see what a next-gen game looks like, which I have been wondering about for a while.
As long as they look like Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk as a baseline, I'll be fine. Hell, Horizon Zero Dawn still amazes me.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
As long as they look like Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk as a baseline, I'll be fine. Hell, Horizon Zero Dawn still amazes me.
im sure we'll all be blown away by what GG will do with Horizon 2. I mean look how big of an improvement Death Stranding already looks, and Horizon 2 is getting all those engine upgrades + built from the ground up for PS5.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

Have a
7.4tflop gpu
Zen2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb HDD
Possibly digital only
$299

12tflop gpu
Zen 2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb ssd
4k UHD bld
$499
I'm in complete agreement with everything you say here except I think that lockhart could go a little lower and still be safe to be at 1080p later in the gen.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the pro will be laid to rest.
They will do a digital ONLY $99-150 ps4 super SLIM (that can stream PS5 games via psnow) and do a $499 PS5.
Nah the PS4 has to be selling at a pretty nice profit by now. They don't need to go digital only and that would cut potential sales in slow internet areas (low income areas many times that would be buying at that $199 price). Like that makes no sense to me. If they cut to $199 this fall and don't release PS5 until fall 2020 ps4 would sell massively this holiday and potentially reach 120 million or more

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
But that's not my point.
If we take the ps5 as the baseline. Most people expect 10tf and at 400$.
Seams to me that most people think it's reaona that andaconda if 500$ would then be around 12.5tf
That's 2.5 tf more and some other minor bells and whistles to the other components for 100$ more. If you then go the other way and say for 100$ less than ps5 you could get a 6.5-7.5 tf Lockhart with a few other minor downgrades. Perhaps even no disc drive. I think that's reasonable.

Feb 10, 2018
Nah the PS4 has to be selling at a pretty nice profit by now. They don't need to go digital only and that would cut potential sales in slow internet areas (low income areas many times that would be buying at that $199 price). Like that makes no sense to me. If they cut to $199 this fall and don't release PS5 until fall 2020 ps4 would sell massively this holiday and potentially reach 120 million or more

It makes sense because of things like stadia + Xcloud have cheaper costs of entry.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is not a fact yet, it could still be one year away with an early 2020 launch.

thing is, the next gen leaks usually takes a few weeks after GDC. with the pro it even took until mid april.
Sure it's not a fact but i would argue that the moment they cancelled e3 2019 presser, spring 2020 went out the window. They aren't Nintendo. They can't release a new console with zero third party games.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sure it's not a fact but i would argue that the moment they cancelled e3 2019 presser, spring 2020 went out the window. They aren't Nintendo. They can't release a new console with zero third party games.
How do you know they will have zero third party titles.
For all we know, cyberpunk could release at roughly the same time, and capcom games, and enhanced versions of ps4 call of duty etc. Sounds like good enough to me.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

They already released a console with, essentially, no exclusive games at all (the Pro). Sony could, if they wanted, release the PS5 with enhanced PS4 BC during holiday 2019 or Spring 2020, and it would sell great even if they didn't release actual next-gen games until Holiday 2020 or a bit earlier. It would appeal to the same crowd as the Pro, overtake the X as the best place to play current games, and pull customers into the PlayStation ecosystem.

Not to say this is at all likely, but they absolutely could do it if they wanted to.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They already released a console with, essentially, no exclusive games at all (the Pro). Sony could, if they wanted, release the PS5 with enhanced PS4 BC during holiday 2019 or Spring 2020, and it would sell great even if they didn't release actual next-gen games until Holiday 2020 or a bit earlier. It would appeal to the same crowd as the Pro, overtake the X as the best place to play current games, and pull customers into the PlayStation ecosystem.

Not to say this is at all likely, but they absolutely could do it if they wanted to.
The pro is not a new system library wise and it isn't next gen so people don't need the motivation of exclusive software to get it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The pro is not a new system library wise and it isn't next gen so people don't need the motivation of exclusive software to get it.

And if the PS5 launched with all the capabilities of the Pro except considerably better on every level, literally millions of people wouldn't "need the motivation of exclusive software" to get it either, though they would have that anyway since there would absolutely be trailers (and probably demos) for proper next-gen games from the off.

Status
Not open for further replies.