• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Now that someone mentioned it looks like an OLED screen in the centre I can't unsee it. It may actually be. But that ps button is just horrendus

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't believe the controller will have a touch screen l mean the battery life on the current controller is nothing to write home about.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on 4chan said it's the PS5 controller for the devkit. I'm almost certain it's a fake but as the reflections of the light on the controller looks real I post it here, maybe a 3rd party controller?

It seems that this image is based on a downscaled version of the original upload, generated by the 4chan board software. You can get a slightly higher-quality version of this picture if you modify the link found on 4chan:

1553552867344u7k4s.jpg

For comparison the downscaled version:

manettes4k9l.png

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If it does have a touchscreen, I just hope it can be used as a touch keyboard to input text like a phones touchscreen. And when not doing that it a be used for info like battery life of connected devices or expanded ifo of on screen notifications. Cause it looks about the same size of what an on screen keyboard will look like on phone.

If there is that cavity between the sticks, why do they still insist on having the option and share button be right next to the pad and the buttons?

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Someone on 4chan said it's the PS5 controller for the devkit. I'm almost certain it's a fake but as the reflections of the light on the controller looks real I post it here, maybe a 3rd party controller?

manettes4k9l.png

It seems that this image is based on a downscaled version of the original upload, generated by the 4chan board software. You can get a slightly higher-quality version of this picture if you modify the link found on 4chan:

1553552867344u7k4s.jpg

Perhaps it's so thick because there's more on the back

71YBH1w2dhL._SX425_.jpg

Some kind of paddles...

Or the return...

419%2BJmQ%2By5L.jpg

or it's a fake. I like controller discussion, though

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Why would you need a dev controller this far out when it's essentially the same as a ds4? Bs.
I am not saying this is real, but your observation isn't grounds for BS.

First off we don't know when the PS5 launches..... what if its releasing around March/April 2020? Secondly, I think the leaks of the DS4 made the rounds fr a while before the thing was ven officially unveiled. And lastly, there may be features to this controller that we may not know of just by looking at this image and that cannot be simulated with he DS4, eg say it has paddles at the back of the controller, or it has a touchscreen, or a mic.....etc.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Posted this in another 'next gen' thread when it probably should have gone here..,

In other news I was speaking to someone who had been working on a project with a 'VFX company' and when I asked what else this 'VFX company' had been working on recently they said they'd been finishing up some "E3 videos for Sony".

Whether that means "videos" for games that will appear on Sony's 'next gen' platform from third parties or specifically Sony first party titles (given that Sony aren't supposed to be at E3) I have no idea what it means but that's what he said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017

1553552867344u7k4s.jpg

manettes4k9l.png
Man, if this isnt real then fake leakers have really stepped it up this time

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm sorry but I really hope they don't. For some reason I used to end up holding the Ds4 so tight it hurt my hands badly. I tried relaxing my grip but before I knew it I was clenching it tightly again minutes later. Never had these issues with ds3 or 360 controller.
I get the same, especially in GT Sport during a long tense online race. Cripplingly bad, hence why chunkier handles is no problem for me, comfort should come above all else.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
That's... not exciting. I figured we're not getting much new on the controller front but that's ok. Both companies want to iterate and not rock the boat.

To be honest it looks like it fixes my biggest gripe with the controller (outside of the battery life) and that's the lack of grip on the analogue sticks. The sticks in the photo appear to have a deeper concave shape so my thumbs can rest and stay there.

If true, of course.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Posted this in another 'next gen' thread when it probably should have gone here..,

In other news I was speaking to someone who had been working on a project with a 'VFX company' and when I asked what else this 'VFX company' had been working on recently they said they'd been finishing up some "E3 videos for Sony".

Whether that means "videos" for games that will appear on Sony's 'next gen' platform from third parties or specifically Sony first party titles (given that Sony aren't supposed to be at E3) I have no idea what it means but that's what he said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting, from what I remember they just said that they won't "participate in E3" and that there won't be a press conference around that time. But of course that doesn't mean that they can't release a video on their YouTube channel during that time. Maybe they will stealth drop a PS5 teaser video 1 hour before the Xbox press conference or something crazy like that.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Well,maybe it isn't that far out...
According to patents, this thing could have a touchscreen, an e-ink substrate, a camera, a new trigger design, among other things. It's not just a different shaped DS4 in its most fantastic of possibilities.

Interesting, from what I remember they just said that they won't "participate in E3" and that there won't be a press conference around that time. But of course that doesn't mean that they can't release a video on their YouTube channel during that time. Maybe they will stealth drop a PS5 teaser video 1 hour before the Xbox press conference or something crazy like that.

LOL, I'd be here for the pandemonium.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Well Sony will probably have another State of Play around E3 time so that's probably what the guy's friend meant.

Jan 21, 2019
I just can't believe the controller will have a touch screen l mean the battery life on the current controller is nothing to write home about.
If it is e-ink, like the old patent, you don't have to worry about it at all.

I would love an e-ink touchpad. Imagine an RPG where the display is separated into 4 fields with each button doing something else.

A map field, a questlog field, a menu field and a whatever field.

I really hate games that don't give instant access to the map. This could be the solution and because the e-ink can have clear labels. It won't be as vague as a touchpad without a screen.

I am all for the E-ink controller revolution.

Ooooooor

When you need to type something, it displays a keyboard like a smartphone. Making communication in online games much easier, or browsing the web.

Everyone would love that!

Edit: e-ink displays usually aren't glossy right. My Tolino isn't glossy. And how likey is it, that it is backlit?

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If it is e-ink, like the old patent, you don't have to worry about it at all.

I would love an e-ink touchpad. Imagine an RPG where the display is separated into 4 fields with each button doing something else.

A map field, a questlog field, a menu field and a whatever field.

I really hate games that don't give instant access to the map. This could be the solution and because the e-ink can have clear labels. It won't be as vague as a touchpad without a screen.

I am all for the E-ink controller revolution.

Ooooooor

When you need to type something, it displays a keyboard like a smartphone. Making communication in online games much easier, or browsing the web.

Everyone would love that!

The possibilities are endless. Basically every game that has a companion phone app could live on the touchpad.

It also allows for privacy/customization in multiplayer environments, party games, etc.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

I can't say who it is but this VFX company has done loads of CGI trailers/videos for E3 and other game publishers in the past so it makes sense that Sony would use them for whatever this is possibly going to be.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
why do you specifically believe this has to do with PS5?

Oct 27, 2017
I've never believed that TLOU2, DS and GOT would slip to 2020 but after Concrete Genie got Fall 2019 as a date idk in thinking we may only get CG + Dreams in 2019.

I can see one of the set (TLOU, DS or GOT) releasing this year. I believe GOT had a few retailer leaked dates along with TLOU2 so it will be one of them

Can see one in October and the other in early 2020

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This looks real bad. That's either a cheap 3rd party controller or a 3D printer fake controller.
The goal of the devkit contoller is not to look good, but just to offer the final FUNCTIONALITY to the devs. And devkit gamepads can change in their form and function.

Anyhow, I hope that touchpad area will also be an eInk display.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
why do you specifically believe this has to do with PS5?

I'd be surprised if Sony were to hire this company to work on something that is related to the PS4 given how expensive a proposition it is getting them onboard..., assuming that it is Sony that's hiring them directly of course and not a third party or whatever.

I have no proof per se but logically it must be for the PS5 or whatever it will be called. For reference the person was working with this company because they were doing some 'pre-viz' for a studio film he's working on.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hmm...maybe Sony will have an event in late May-early June, close to E3 time but not quite?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've heard talk of a press conference being in May to coincide with the projected 100 million sale mark for the PS4.

To prevent unnecessary hype I'd wager it's just going to be another State of Play to celebrate 100 million.

Considering the 25th anniversary at the end of the year (PS1 came our December 3, 1994 in Japan) I'd expect a big blowout around then.

However if the PS5 is launching Q1 2020 we may actually see a reveal around May, as that would be 10-11 months out from March 2020, same as how the PS4 reveal was 10 months out from release.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'd be surprised if Sony were to hire this company to work on something that is related to the PS4 given how expensive a proposition it is getting them onboard..., assuming that it is Sony that's hiring them directly of course and not a third party or whatever.

I have no proof per se but logically it must be for the PS5 or whatever it will be called. For reference the person was working with this company because they were doing some 'pre-viz' for a studio film he's working on.
thinking about it now, it really does not make much sense to hire a third party VFX studio just for a show that shows the last upcoming ps4 titles. it makes sense for a PS5 event though.

I've heard talk of a press conference being in May to coincide with the projected 100 million sale mark for the PS4.
oh.

this is interesting.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

It could be for that rather than E3 seeing as Sony won't have a presence at the trade show this year. I know I'm being frustratingly cryptic but I thought I'd pass it along anyway given that A) the PS5 is potentially imminent and B) Sony said that they were passing on E3 this year.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it logically, the PS4 was revealed February 2013 and released November 2013. They had a big blowout at E3 2013.

If we assume a similar timetable we could see a PS5 reveal in May 2019 for a March 2020 release along with a big blowout in the Fall of 2019. PlayStation Experience 2019?

Feb 10, 2018

To prevent unnecessary hype I'd wager it's just going to be another State of Play to celebrate 100 million.

Considering the 25th anniversary at the end of the year (PS1 came our December 3, 1994 in Japan) I'd expect a big blowout around then.

However if the PS5 is launching Q1 2020 we may actually see a reveal around May, as that would be 10-11 months out from March 2020, same as how the PS4 reveal was 10 months out from release.

Sony said they were not having a conference around the time of E3 though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
damn, lots of PS5 rumors are starting today it seems.
first a supposed controller,
then a VFX company that is editing videos for sony for an event that will appear on or around E3.
and now more rumors of a may event.

Sony said they were not having a conference around the time of E3 though.
around E3 time => E3 week.
may is not E3 week.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it logically, the PS4 was revealed February 2013 and released November 2013. They had a big blowout at E3 2013.

If we assume a similar timetable we could see a PS5 reveal in May 2019 for a March 2020 release along with a big blowout in the Fall of 2019. PlayStation Experience 2019?
A Spring release for the console does seem odd but I can see it happening if they want

they just need to cram in those unreleased games before then lol

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Spring release for the console does seem odd but I can see it happening if they want

they just need to cram in those unreleased games before then lol
Switch proved it viable.

And not necessarily if the PS5 is full BC. Can advertise special PS5 Modes for late PS4 games that make them take advantage of PS5 hardware beyond a simple boost mode.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
We had 0 rumors at the GDC while it was when the first time we heard of the PS4 then PS4 Pro.
https://kotaku.com/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-5896996
https://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053
I really think the console will not come out before end 2020 with maybe a first tease at the Playstation experience in December and full revelation at E3 2020.
those leaks dont always happen immediately after GDC. the pro spec leak happened more than a month after GDC (while GDC was the source), we shouldnt call it already.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Switch proved it viable.
Yeah they did which makes me think Sony can pull it off too.

Especially if they do it in an organized manner with a nice paced swan song for the PS4 before release. Plus if the PS5 is fully backwards comparability the transition would be even more easy for a spring release.
They have their State of Play broadcast too now with a good format to flush out a well projected timeline goal until then like Nintendo.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It could be for that rather than E3 seeing as Sony won't have a presence at the trade show this year. I know I'm being frustratingly cryptic but I thought I'd pass it along anyway given that A) the PS5 is potentially imminent and B) Sony said that they were passing on E3 this year.

Mr Seagal,that sounds...promising :)

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

I posted this back in January:

Eh, it being fine then doesn't mean they have to do that same thing now. Let's consider a few things:

-Sony likes the exclusiveness of having their own reveal event such as the PS meeting. They like having the spotlight and having their own event means they don't have to share it.

-They like the spectacle of E3 press conferences and the way it hypes up the player base and potential buyers.

-You say what they did in 2013 worked fine, but the majority of people in gaming forums are saying that Sony won at that time only because "MS dropped the ball." (And I think there's a small amount of truth to that. I think they announced the PS meeting out of nowhere to catch MS off guard (specially their marketing arm), they stuck the sword on the ground pointing up and just let MS ungracefully fall on it themselves. I don't think that'll work this time around, MS is much more prepared.)

- A while back, Someone high up from PS (House?) said that many people didn't like how they revealed the console but didn't show the hardware, I think they're going to avoid doing that again.

-That year's E3 was mostly just a rehash of the PS meeting. The feeling of dissatisfaction thats going around online concerning their conferences lately, I don't think they want to do that again.

-Kodera's comments of 'crouching before jumping.

Let's combine these things and Sony's plans become a bit more clear. IMO, they want an E3 sized event, at the time of their own choosing, where they can show fresh and exciting games, from first, second and third parties, coming in the next gen launch window and beyond. They want to be the center of attention. They want to show off the console specs and the console itself at this event/conference. They probably even want it to be like PSX and have the console itself on the show floor, for the press and PS fans, with demos of launch games. They want to have a launch date ready for this event, and they want to have clear on concise plans ready to be shown.

Idk about you guys, but an event like that would blow my mind.

Ps. I don't think Sony is leaving E3 entirely, they'll be back next year... it just doesn't fit into their next gen reveal plans this year.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all with your proposed timeline. PS meeting type event in may > full blown reveal at PSX like event in the fall > Spring release wouldn't surprise me. With smaller updates at SoPs sprinkled in between

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Have we had new info to indicate a H1 2020 release? I used to believe that was possible but now I'm leaning towards Fall 2020 more and more...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Switch proved it viable.

And not necessarily if the PS5 is full BC. Can advertise special PS5 Modes for late PS4 games that make them take advantage of PS5 hardware beyond a simple boost mode.

Agreed. Honestly, if enhanced BC is a big feature that they want to show off, they may actively want the PS5 out before all the PS4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.