• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have we had new info to indicate a H1 2020 release? I used to believe that was possible but now I'm leaning towards Fall 2020 more and more...
If the controller leak is real I think it's far too far out for a Fall 2020 release. Devs had kits and the PS4 controller leaked in Feb 2013, similar timeframe to what it would be if the PS5 came out March 2020.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
We got a million fake DS4 pics before the PS4 reveal, iirc correctly we didn't actually get a real one until like the day before the PS4 reveal, and even that one was an outdated pic of an earlier DS4 prototype (it was a bit "fatter" than the actual DS4 we got).

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We got a million fake DS4 pics before the PS4 reveal, iirc correctly we didn't actually get a real one until like the day before the PS4 reveal, and even that one was an outdated pic of an earlier DS4 prototype (it was a bit "fatter" than the actual DS4 we got).
I don't remember a single fake DS4. I remember a bunch of fake Switch stuff. And that controller leaked Feb 13 2013. The reveal event was Feb 20.

Oct 27, 2017
If the controller leak is real I think it's far too far out for a Fall 2020 release. Devs had kits and the PS4 controller leaked in Feb 2013, similar timeframe to what it would be if the PS5 came out March 2020.
With Sony's history of releasing big games in March (Horizon) but also April/May (Uncharted, God of War, Days Gone) I think Q2 2020 is also possible

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember a single fake DS4. I remember a bunch of fake Switch stuff. And that controller leaked Feb 13 2013. The reveal event was Feb 20.

This was right at the launch of the Wii U, so imagine all the rumors and "leaks" of a ds4 with a screen. I also remember one that can split in half so you have one move controller for each hand.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

I was following every next gen gaf thread pretty closely around that time and don't remember a single fake DS4 pic.. only the dev kit and controller leak shown above around a week before the PS meeting.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one i specifically remember

PS4-Split-Shock-Controller-ds1-670x670.jpg

https://www.dualshockers.com/rumor-another-playstation-4-controller-revealed/

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Even fall 2020 might be out if nothing has been shared at GDC this year. PS4 and Xbox One had stuff leak out of GDC 2012 (codenames etc).

Still lots of confusion. There is lots of talk of Microsoft doing a Scorpio-level Scarlett reveal at E3 but then why would they do that and allow Sony time to respond if they are also late 2020? I would have thought Microsoft would only go first if they knew Sony was beating them to release ala PS4 Pro?

Many twists to come I think.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Not to defend this ps5 leak because it smells of fake with the vagueness regarding the CU count, but regarding the ram he clarified that is a dev kit ram and not the actual console.
And yea the fact he knows the console price is also very suspicious and points to a fake.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
If sony wants to make true generational leap in 2020, they have to release a 499$ console. There is no other choice. 399$ would really make an underpowered console and something like true PS4K!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Price disclosure to devs? 24/8GB RAM setup? *shakes head* Next.....

That part doesn't seem so unbelievable tbh.

The OS will need more RAM than what the PS4 currently uses (3.5GB?) and games will need much more RAM too, soooooo, that part of the supposed specs is not far-fetched to me.

Where I started to cast :doubt: was when he mentioned price.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
That reddit leak seems wrong, but that controller seems interesting. Although I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of discussion aimed at deciphering which developer this might be based on the small reflection on the touchpad/screen.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Even fall 2020 might be out if nothing has been shared at GDC this year. PS4 and Xbox One had stuff leak out of GDC 2012 (codenames etc).

Still lots of confusion. There is lots of talk of Microsoft doing a Scorpio-level Scarlett reveal at E3 but then why would they do that and allow Sony time to respond if they are also late 2020? I would have thought Microsoft would only go first if they knew Sony was beating them to release ala PS4 Pro?

Many twists to come I think.

But if that is the case why would Sony ,as we heard from Zhuge,send dev kits back in 2018...?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
But if that is the case why would Sony ,as we heard from Zhuge,send dev kits back in 2018...?

Beats me. Matt even said dev kits don't go out 2.5 years in advance. If a Sony delay/postponement has happened more recently around Q4 last year say, then surely devs would be informed and this would subsequently leak?

So many questions.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
There is no point in commenting these leaks. Since Navi and Zen 2 are pretty much a lock, they've been basically all over the place when it comes to potential clock/CU count/GDDR bandwith/RAM size/storage size and type. It's just conjecture. We won't know for sure until something more credible shows up.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
in general there are 2 things that do not make sense for me with this "leak", its not about what he knows, its about what he was particularily vague on.
he knew the GPU clock speed while not knowing the CU count, how the hell would he have access to information to something that could easily be changed at every stage of the process, while the thing that would likely have been decided for a long time now, the CU count (because you know, size of the thing, BoM etc.), he does not know. pretty funny.
second was the ram. they have a dev kit and probably a target spec sheet, but only knows the ram of the development kit. lol.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
What do you mean by this? My examples were Eyetoy and streaming.

You said "Sony has a history of half-assing tech innovation, and then letting competitors make the money after they execute much better than Sony. Just with Playstation, Eyetoy and Streaming are good examples.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Sony bailed on VR and let another company make it popular, but I hope they follow through for once."

You picked s couple outliners from a company that innovates continuously. All companies have failures and successes, your implication was that Sony frequently set something up for someone else to do better, but there's clearly lots of things they have success with.

Even with VR they are the most successful, I'm not sure who you think is going to come in and 'execute better'. I was simply saying Sony have innovated some huge successes, you were being far too OTT in your statement.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
New "leak" looks pretty bland. I think the 32GB RAM give it away as a probable fake. I mean it is not entirely impossible, but super unlikely. Also he doesn't talk about HT on the CPU and I doubt AMD is going to have an 8 core no HT in the PS5. And the other stuff in there is like "it is 7nm Navi and Zen2" and yeah we know that, because that is the only logical thing and we know that both are going to be 7nm

I think vega 64 is the absolute limit, anything more is just not realisticly feasible.

what do you mean by limit?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Interposer connecting chiplet, it is a non sense. If he have said infinity fabric it would have been ok ;)
Yeah, he says interposer AND I/O bridge. Otherwise the tech specs are completely believable and would be a $500 box, even as unlikely as it is they'd have pricing info at this point.

Reducing CPU cache even makes sense. They may not need the whole 32MB desktop Zen 2 comes with.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
The PS5 reddit is the last place you want to get information about next gen consoles, spewing with fan theories and wish lists.

Say the PS5's less then 12TF there is dangerous lol.

Feb 10, 2018
New "leak" looks pretty bland. I think the 32GB RAM give it away as a probable fake. I mean it is not entirely impossible, but super unlikely. Also he doesn't talk about HT on the CPU and I doubt AMD is going to have an 8 core no HT in the PS5. And the other stuff in there is like "it is 7nm Navi and Zen2" and yeah we know that, because that is the only logical thing and we know that both are going to be 7nm

what do you mean by limit?

I don't think any next gen console will have a gpu any more powerful then a vega 64.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I am tired of the dualshock controller. It's not that amazing of a design to be mostly unchanged for four generations. I hate how loosely I have to hold it with my giant man hands.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The PS5 reddit is the last place you want to get information about next gen consoles, spewing with fan theories and wish lists.

Say the PS5's less then 12TF there is dangerous lol.

Well at least it looks like the Reddit folks are treating his post with some skepticism and are pushing back on some of his claims

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I am tired of the dualshock controller. It's not that amazing of a design to be mostly unchanged for four generations. I hate how loosely I have to hold it with my giant man hands.

Have you explored third party controller options to see if one of them might suit you better?

EDIT.

Anyone have a Reddit account and can ask that person if the chiplet setup is a single or multiple GPUs? Pretty please? :)

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think any next gen console will have a gpu any more powerful then a vega 64.

Oh I see.

Yes in terms of TFLOPs I think the same, but maybe Navi can bring architectural improvements that make it better than the Vega 64 even when it has fewer TFLOPs.
I always like to bring the comparison of Vega 64 (12+ TFLOPS) and GTX 1080 (8.8 TFLOPS). Even though the Vega 64 has 40-50% more TFLOPs the GTX 1080 is roughly as fast as the Vega card.
I guess a 10TFLOP Navi GPU could be as faster or even faster than Vega.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Have you explored third party controller options to see if one of them might suit you better?

EDIT.

Anyone have a Reddit account and can ask that person if the chiplet setup is a single or multiple GPUs? Pretty please? :)

I would guess one GPU and one CPU. A GPU more powerful than Stadia would be in the 250-300mm^2 realm. Sharing memory bandwidth tricky otherwise.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
One thing I do wonder, it seems with this gen that devs expected the base consoles to be more powerful, which seems to explain the downgrade we got on some early games (ie. Watchdogs), I wonder how things will play out this time. Will expectations be set more realistically by the console manufacturers? Will they under promise and over deliver on specs to leave a little headroom just in case? Or might we see a repeat of what happened before with some devs aiming too high?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I would guess one GPU and one CPU. A GPU more powerful than Stadia would be in the 250-300mm^2 realm. Sharing memory bandwidth tricky otherwise.

True, but in my original ass-pulled theory I was thinking the other way they could do this would be for each individual chip to be less powerful, but in a multi-GPU setup we could get something overall better. Guess I just got excited hearing the word chiplet tossed around, lol

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
True, but in my original ass-pulled theory I was thinking the other way they could do this would be for each individual chip to be less powerful, but in a multi-GPU setup we could get something overall better. Guess I just got excited hearing the word chiplet tossed around, lol
It's possible, but crossfire and SLI have tearing and microstutter issues on desktops. Maybe if Sony wanted to develop split frame rendering.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's possible, but crossfire and SLI have tearing and microstutter issues on desktops. Maybe if Sony wanted to develop split frame rendering.

I'm not sure how Stadia plans to merge multiple instances into a single experience, but could something like that work on a smaller chiplet to chiplet scale here?

Feb 10, 2018
Oh I see.

Yes in terms of TFLOPs I think the same, but maybe Navi can bring architectural improvements that make it better than the Vega 64 even when it has fewer TFLOPs.
I always like to bring the comparison of Vega 64 (12+ TFLOPS) and GTX 1080 (8.8 TFLOPS). Even though the Vega 64 has 40-50% more TFLOPs the GTX 1080 is roughly as fast as the Vega card.
I guess a 10TFLOP Navi GPU could be as faster or even faster than Vega.

That would be great but AMD have not done such a drastic architectural improvements in a long time(or ever to be honest) , I don't see why this time will be any different.
But I hope I'm wrong.
Kinda sucks that we didn't learn anything about Navi from GDC like it was rumoured that we would.

Status
Not open for further replies.