• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I'd like to see the post if anyone can link it.

Again, I'm not saying dev kits don't exist. I've also commented for a very long while now there are numerous next gen games in development. But if every major studio had a PS5 dev kit none of you would need to sit here and theorize on anything. It would all leak.

He answered me directly in some other thread when i asked him ,i'll try to find it now.

edit: Modiz found it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
By 2020 the One X will be pushing down to $299. It's already $399 with a game bundled, 20 months later it'll be ~$299 if you got rid of the game. PS5 can get to $399, margins will be very short but that's normal near launch.
i think sony will probably be taking bigger losses on the PS5 next gen, which should also help in increasing the performance.
He answered me directly in some other thread when i asked him ,i'll try to find it now.
i already linked him above no need for you to look up

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
This is why I don't post here often: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...aiming-higher-than-10-7-teraflops-gpu.107952/

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful.

The bigger question IMO is how many platforms people are going to have to ship on. Last generation's cross-platform games had to ship on five -- PS3, 360, PS4, XB1, PC -- which made people miserable and led to a lot of sacrifices. Now that number's getting even bigger thanks to mid-gen hardware refreshes and cloud platforms. That's what I think is ultimately going to hamper AAA games, not hardware restrictions.

why do you say that if nothing is certain.

The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
also, this kills the other xbox rumor about the 12TF and 4TF because it also suggested PS5 is 8TF.

Feb 10, 2018

Interesting video on raytracing with UE4.
It's how I think we will see raytracing next gen.
It will be a combination of both.
Where no reflective materials like wood or matte plastic will not need ray tracing and will just use the cheaper screen space reflections.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Surely Google's 10.7TF is irrelevant to both PS5 and Scarlett as both will have largely locked specs by now even if both are November 2020.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
4TF was never a rumour. At least not one that a sane person would actually spend energy thinking about.
you should have seen the responses in here then. people were certain it was real.
This is why I don't post here often: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...aiming-higher-than-10-7-teraflops-gpu.107952/

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful.

The bigger question IMO is how many platforms people are going to have to ship on. Last generation's cross-platform games had to ship on five -- PS3, 360, PS4, XB1, PC -- which made people miserable and led to a lot of sacrifices. Now that number's getting even bigger thanks to mid-gen hardware refreshes and cloud platforms. That's what I think is ultimately going to hamper AAA games, not hardware restrictions.
I have one last question, we have the mod in here Matt who has in the past been a reliable source for sony and MS roadmaps, and he mentioned that the plan for the PS5 was always 2019, which many assumed meant that the PS5 got delayed from 2019 to 2020, have you heard anything like that?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really as you'd have to have a case/cooling redesign for anything other than tiny tweaks like OG Xbox One (already had a oversize cooler/case).

Albert Penello explained this previously.
Correct. IIRC the PS4 final case design wasn't final until after the reveal in Feb 2013. Clock speed can change up or down after the actual silicon is final. I don't expect the final specs and case design to be done until at least 8 months before release, maybe even 6 months.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Surely Google's 10.7TF is irrelevant to both PS5 and Scarlett as both will have largely locked specs by now even if both are November 2020.

Like I said before, I think google aimed for that number so they can get as close to next-gen consoles as possible with currently available tech.. Sony/MS had a power aim since long ago, don't think they suddenly decided to raise the specs because of Stadia.

Oct 27, 2017
I've also been telling all of you next gen wouldn't be in 2019 for over a year. I got basically chased out of these threads because of it.

Hopefully people can be more reasonable moving forward.
Dude some people believe the world is flat. To see other people believing in a 2019 release despite all evidence and insiders telling otherwise is not so surprising lol

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Indeed,i guess only Sony first party studios have them at this point.I was thinking Sony might send dev kits to 3rd parties now after GDC.
that might still be happening, as i assume they dont take the devkits directly from sony at GDC, but its true that jason's new posts do indicate that the rumors of a planned 2019 launch that got delayed to 2020 were not true after all.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
probably just wishful thinking by Xbox fans

There were plenty of PlayStation fans bracing for 8tf as well but good job bringing more stupid fanboy nonsense to the thread I guess.

Anyway, regardless wether or not we get official announcements at E3 I expect to see some next gen trailers from 3rd parties. I love those. That brief time where you know they look too good to be true but you still marvel at them and want to believe. Ah, good times.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am still Team March 2020. If the rumors are correct then devs won't need PS5 specific devkits to get their currently in development games running on PS5.

The PS5 will be natively backwards compatible with the PS4. It will use iterative standard-ish hardware. It will use an iterative API. The SDK will be very similar to the PS4. Games will be able to be built right now for the PS4, work out of the box on PS5 with nothing else, and can have a special patch or built in mode to take advantage of the PS5's more powerful hardware similar to the PS4 Pro.

We will likely see a handful of PS5 exclusives at launch that will do crazy things (likely mostly first party) but as long as devs have a general idea of specs they can just use a PC equivalent build to prepare their games to look and run amazingly at a level way beyond the PS4 Pro in time for PS5 launch.

We aren't dealing with specialized hardware and crazy codebases anymore. This is all standardized and simplified.

I fully expect a March 2020 launch even if 2/3rds of developers right now still don't have a dedicated PS5 devkit.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
With everything rumored, what would be a comparable PC build to last some years? Obviously I do know that there's no point for it since they're so different but fuck it, it's for fun sake

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am still Team March 2020. If the rumors are correct then devs won't need PS5 specific devkits to get their currently in development games running on PS5.

The PS5 will be natively backwards compatible with the PS4. It will use iterative standard-ish hardware. It will use an iterative API. The SDK will be very similar to the PS4. Games will be able to be built right now for the PS4, work out of the box on PS5 with nothing else, and can have a special patch or built in mode to take advantage of the PS5's more powerful hardware similar to the PS4 Pro.

We will likely see a handful of PS5 exclusives at launch that will do crazy things (likely mostly first party) but as long as devs have a general idea of specs they can just use a PC equivalent build to prepare their games to look and run amazingly and way beyond the PS4 Pro in time for PS5 launch.

We aren't dealing with specialized hardware and crazy codebase anymore. This is all standardized and simplified.

I fully expect a March 2020 launch even if 2/3rds of developers right now still don't have a dedicated PS5 devkit.
Same I m still at March team.if no leak by e3 might move to November

Last edited:

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Jason right now:

tenor.gif

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
that might still be happening, as i assume they dont take the devkits directly from sony at GDC, but its true that jason's new posts do indicate that the rumors of a planned 2019 launch that got delayed to 2020 were not true after all.

Jason was almost directly contradicting what Zhuge and Matt told us,and this is only going to create even more confusion i'm afraid.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Same I m still at March team.if no leak by me might move to November
the thing that interests me now after reading jason's new posts is "were the rumors of a delay from 2019 even true to begin with?"
his wording indicates that 2020 has always been the plan and that sony moved it like the rumors originally indicated.

Jason was almost directly contradicting what Zhuge and Matt told us,and this is only going to create even more confusion i'm afraid.
regarding zhuge it is possible the development kits he heard of are either from first party teams, or are just the spec sheets that the developers recieved and that they are still working with PCs.
the issue is with what Matt has told us, because it doesnt sound like it fits with the new information.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Team 2019 have been beaten into submission. Time I think to break the bad news to team March 2020.

Guys...It isn't happening.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
the thing that interests me now after reading jason's new posts is "were the rumors of a delay from 2019 even true to begin with?"
his wording indicates that 2020 has always been the plan and that sony moved it like the rumors originally indicated.

regarding zhuge it is possible the development kits he heard of are either from first party teams, or are just the spec sheets that the developers recieved and that they are still working with PCs.
the issue is with what Matt has told us, because it doesnt sound like it fits with the new information.

Unfortunately, Matt didn't say anything on this topic since September last year. He works in the industry and knows these things and the people who really know,like him,understandably stay quiet :(
The rest of us can only guess and speculate...

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt there have been multiple PS5 release window changes based on hardware availability, pricing, part shortages, and the competitive landscape. There are so many moving parts with these things.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I have no doubt there have been multiple PS5 release window changes based on hardware availability, pricing, part shortages, and the competitive landscape. There are so many moving parts with these things.
thank you for the clarification and all the other important points you gave out in this thread! i and i assume everone in here appreciate it.

Dec 4, 2018

This feels like one those he said/she said problems from school text books.

Why focus on their correctness when they can all be wrong. Instead, take each as a possibility for discussion. :P

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Good that PS5 is now also confirmed as a monster specs wise above 10.7Tf. Can't wait for it to be revealed.

Question: Dual instance Stadia, which they talked about and showed a tech demo of, is that a straight 2 x 10.7 = 21.4Tf or is it more complicated than that?

Feb 10, 2018

We will likely see a handful of PS5 exclusives at launch that will do crazy things (likely mostly first party) but as long as devs have a general idea of specs they can just use a PC equivalent build to prepare their games to look and run amazingly at a level way beyond the PS4 Pro in time for PS5 launch.

We aren't dealing with specialized hardware and crazy codebases anymore. This is all standardized and simplified.

Sorry, but what is specifically making you think it will come spring 2020?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Good that PS5 is now also confirmed as a monster specs wise above 10.7Tf. Can't wait for it to be revealed.

Question: Dual instance Stadia, which they talked about and showed a tech demo of, is that a straight 2 x 10.7 = 21.4Tf or is it more complicated than that?
Who cares how much TF they throw at it when they have to compress the image to make the stream usable in a typical bandwidth scenario?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
okay, so going back to the new information we have on the table.
an 11TF+ GPU is really nice. at least 6x more powerful than the PS4 (and around 8x for the xbox one) in linear scaling if you exclude the efficiency improvements recieved from the architectural improvements, that would mean that there should be no problem updating PS4 games to checkerboard 4k at 60 frames a second, not bad at all.

its more complicated than that. while its true that teoritically you get 21.4TF, in real world performance it wouldnt really be that close to it i think. if i recall correctly Nvidia's SLI solutions (pretty much the same thing), didnt manage to get that close to 2x performance improvements.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
okay, so going back to the new information we have on the table.
an 11TF+ GPU is really nice. at least 6x more powerful than the PS4 (and around 8x for the xbox one) in linear scaling if you exclude the efficiency improvements recieved from the architectural improvements, that would mean that there should be no problem updating PS4 games to checkerboard 4k at 60 frames a second, not bad at all.

its more complicated than that. while its true that teoritically you get 21.4TF, in real world performance it wouldnt really be that close to it i think. if i recall correctly Nvidia's SLI solutions (pretty much the same thing), didnt manage to get that close to 2x performance improvements.
Oh yeah anything from 10 to 12 tf is amazing baseline for next gen . Can't wait till we have more info

Status
Not open for further replies.