• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nobody is expecting that. The TF of an Nvidia card is not really comparable to whatever Navi will do, due to different architectures, and even then 14TF is on the high end of expectations. Really what they mean is 'a GPU roughly 7-8x as strong as the PS4's GPU'.
1,8TFx7=12,6TF as minimum, if you expect a 7-8 times the ps4 and I don't see other viable meter of comparison to reach such point of power...now it seems weird to me 8TF on Navi will become like the old 12TF. But if it means that I wouldn't care less how they named such TF counts.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm now convinced that Anaconda and PS5 will end up within 10% GPU performance in SP floating point.
I agree. Have to remember that 10% at this level is 1-1.4TF. The entire power of the OG Xbox One.

This is brutal. No pressure Navi

WxSWwiXJom2PJZrtp9S5O_NAX73gg1_1pWoVWJeKxCs.png

Interesting data bit here. AMD microcodes updates that increase latency but also increase performance: https://reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b8xc3c/latest_amd_microcodes_come_with_higher_latencies/

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people honestly expecting RTX 2080ti level GPU in the next consoles? I keep hearing 14 tflop bounded around, I think realisticly we will see a 9-10 tflop gpu at best in the next gen consoles.

Remember the ps4 has the power roughly of a 660ti.
PS4 was also a $399 machine. Looks like Sony might be going with a $499 beast.

Google stadia severs are 10.7 tflops. Jason Schrier said Sony and MS are aiming higher than that. So 12 tflops is pretty much a certainty. If they add a nice cooling system and go to a $499, we can do 14 Tflops on 7nm with no issues.

RTX 2080 Ti is an overpriced monstrosity. Expect 1080 Ti levels of performance from next gen consoles.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I had the weirdest dream about the PS5, I got access to a leaked one months before release, it came with a movie and 2 PS3 games, I don't know what to take from that.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
The problem I have with comparisons to a 1080Ti makes it seem that the console is outdated before it's even launched. I know it's only a psychological thing but I'd prefer it being likened to RTX 2060 or something.

Jun 18, 2018
Are people honestly expecting RTX 2080ti level GPU in the next consoles? I keep hearing 14 tflop bounded around, I think realisticly we will see a 9-10 tflop gpu at best in the next gen consoles.

Remember the ps4 has the power roughly of a 660ti.

People here are usually referring to next-gen GPU performance in relation to AMD's cards, not NVidia's,. So expectations are between Vega 56 and 64 performance, not 2080Ttis.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
The problem I have with comparisons to a 1080Ti makes it seem that the console is outdated before it's even launched. I know it's only a psychological thing but I'd prefer it being likened to RTX 2060 or something.

Just wait for PS5 Pro for 14 -17 TF levels of performance then.

1080Ti levels with a good CPU to go with it, its a fantastic starting point for developers in my opinion. The reality is that, it is, a big increase over 1.84 Tf PS4.

On another note , I don't think Sony will want to wait 3 years after the release of the OG PS5 to put out a more powerful revision if MS decides to go with the rumored 2 model approach starting from launch. To add to that, I think it would be a profiting strategy if there wasn't such a big gap in sales between OG PS5 and PS5 Pro, as it would promote more support from the devs and there would be a big growing install base for the "high end".

However, if Sony goes with the 2 model approach starting from launch too, then even better.

There's options to consider. I'm positive Sony will / can approach the 2060 fidelity spectrum with a revision.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't UHD movie sales down ? If I remember correctly the UHD movie market is not doing great and as for space BDXL has around 30gb more space than UHD. So I see no reason for Sony to go with UHD if the costs are about same .
uhd is just file format, afaik its a bluray you only need the bdxl to be able to read the file

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't UHD movie sales down ? If I remember correctly the UHD movie market is not doing great and as for space BDXL has around 30gb more space than UHD. So I see no reason for Sony to go with UHD if the costs are about same .
They aren't great but I feel like a successful console will change that. one S and One X mind you came midgen and have at best moved 20M units on their own?

Vs Xbox Two + PS5 both having it as a main marketing point for a full console upgrade that's required to play next gen games, likely will add 150-200M UHD players into living rooms.

Had UHD somehow made it into consoles in 2013 it's market would be very different. Idk if it would be as healthy as DVDs peak but everything has lower ceilings in terms of sales since streaming took over

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea but not all BDXL player can read UHD and I assume Sony won't activate it on ps5 yet again (cause I m sure they have to pay a small royalty fee to their association ,BDA. ). Just my feeling .I could be wrong though .
uhd is just file format, afaik its a bluray you only need the bdxl to be able to read the file

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They aren't great but I feel like a successful console will change that. one S and One X mind you came midgen and have at best moved 20M units on their own?

Vs Xbox Two + PS5 both having it as a main marketing point for a full console upgrade that's required to play next gen games, likely will add 150-200M UHD players into living rooms.

Had UHD somehow made it into consoles in 2013 it's market would be very different. Idk if it would be as healthy as DVDs peak but everything has lower ceilings in terms of sales since streaming took over
My question is something else though
Does Sony have any interest to popularize UHD file format? Doesn't seem that way .maybe they r cooking a new format or something under the table

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
1,8TFx7=12,6TF as minimum, if you expect a 7-8 times the ps4 and I don't see other viable meter of comparison to reach such point of power...now it seems weird to me 8TF on Navi will become like the old 12TF. But if it means that I wouldn't care less how they named such TF counts.

That's my point, that Navi may have architectural improvements that give it greater performance that what the technical TF count would immediately suggest. It might be listed as having 10TF, but in reality have similar performance to a 12TF Polaris chip. We don't knew yet, because we don't have proper Navi deets. Bring on Computex.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My question is something else though
Does Sony have any interest to popularize UHD file format? Doesn't seem that way .maybe they r cooking a new format or something under the table
sony is part of the BDA and they have the tv department and sony pictures, so they have interest in the UHD format. With the exception of playstation 4, they all introduced something new in this regard so the console could be sold as something else than a videogame.
- Playstation 1 was a CD player
- Playstation 2 was a DVD player.
- Playstation 3 was the blu-ray player.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Nope it won't.

It's not that UHDs aren't doing great person say and more that disc based sales are generally dropping and have been doing so for years.

People just aren't buying deducted players anymore. And even those that have players aren't really going out there to spend $20 on a disc. We have the likes of apple, Amazon, Netflix.....hell pretty much every streaming service to thank for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting 14 TFLOPS in a console when AMD hasn't even done that in the dGPU space (and without needing a ton of power and acting as a space heater) certainly isn't "easily doable" at $500. Not sure it's doable at all, given AMD being a continual disappointment.

Jun 18, 2018
Expecting 14 TFLOPS in a console when AMD hasn't even done that in the dGPU space (and without needing a ton of power and acting as a space heater) certainly isn't "easily doable" at $500. Not sure it's doable at all, given AMD being a continual disappointment.

Correct. But the thing to remember here is that the TFLOPS count is a theoretical maximum. What I imagine many are hoping for is that the real world usage of Navi will match (or exceed in some areas) the real-world usage of a Vega 56 or 64 card that has a higher TFLOPS count than the Navi due to architecture improvements.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope it won't.

It's not that UHDs aren't doing great person say and more that disc based sales are generally dropping and have been doing so for years.

People just aren't buying deducted players anymore. And even those that have players aren't really going out there to spend $20 on a disc. We have the likes of apple, Amazon, Netflix.....hell pretty much every streaming service to thank for that.
Yeah, I said that the market for discs has shrunk. All markets shrink from heyday but can still grow and be profitable. Vinyl records and WWE as examples. Not near their peak but doing well with smaller markets now.

You can't tell me that there wouldn't be an uptick in UHD disc sales if suddenly 150M ppl over the course of 5 years got a player in their Xbox Two/PS5.

Would it bring it to DVDs height? No. But for the size of the disc market now it would be good.

It will not overtake streaming of course but it can for sure carve out a good market for itself after a few years of console support that isn't a midgen refresh.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What led u to this conclusion?

Tech trajectory. Market positioning and the fact that both have too many reasons to push as far as is economically feasible for their next-gen consoles.

I'm anticipating more generous console TDP constraints than we saw last-gen, together with some very clever engineering in cooling and case design.

I think the difference will be less pronounced compared to this gen (as in, X1 vs PS4).

Absolutely. Although I see the main differences being in the GPU accelerators and customizations between the two designs.

I agree. Have to remember that 10% at this level is 1-1.4TF. The entire power of the OG Xbox One.

This is brutal. No pressure Navi

WxSWwiXJom2PJZrtp9S5O_NAX73gg1_1pWoVWJeKxCs.png

Interesting data bit here. AMD microcodes updates that increase latency but also increase performance: https://reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/b8xc3c/latest_amd_microcodes_come_with_higher_latencies/

Navi can't come quickly enough.

I agree, but only if they launch at the same price.

I continue with my speculation that PS5 will be 400-450, possibly 500, and Ananconda will be surely be $500 (with Lockhart 300-350).

I'm expecting similarly, although I think PS5 will either be $399 or $499 with no inbetween, for obvious marketing reasons.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Absolutely. Although I see the main differences being in the GPU accelerators and customizations between the two designs.

Which should be interesting regarding console war fuel; I guess that will mostly come down to secondary stuff like network features and the likes. Unless one of the systems will also have a specific focus on raytracing; I guess thats something that might be pushed as an USP. But regarding resolutions and framerates (unless the CPUs really diverge and there is a bigger TF-delta between the two systems) I see little reason why there should be a "substantial difference".

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Navi GPUs in PS5 and Anaconda are going to be 7nm. they should be able to double the CUs going from 16nm (mid gen consoles) to 7nm while increasing the clock speeds just as they were able to do so when going from the 28nm launch consoles to the 16nm mid gen refreshes.

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't say that "they are supposedly going to be revealed soon". What's more, it seems that he knows much less than some of the users here attribute to him.
I know.

I was referring to that article being quoted above my original post. I was saying it wasn't going to be revealed soon because Jason already told us not to expect anything soon.

Oct 25, 2017
The Navi GPUs in PS5 and Anaconda are going to be 7nm. they should be able to double the CUs going from 16nm (mid gen consoles) to 7nm while increasing the clock speeds just as they were able to do so when going from the 28nm launch consoles to the 16nm mid gen refreshes.
AMD has already released a 7nm card. Sounds like you're expecting magic from Navi.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Tech trajectory. Market positioning and the fact that both have too many reasons to push as far as is economically feasible for their next-gen consoles.

I'm anticipating more generous console TDP constraints than we saw last-gen, together with some very clever engineering in cooling and case design.

I'm expecting similarly, although I think PS5 will either be $399 or $499 with no inbetween, for obvious marketing reasons.
I agree with this....

If for nothing else it's that Sony knows exactly what MS is going to try and do. Sony knows MS will go for the best hardware they can get and will opt for the best cooling solution they can get too.

So the choice is simple for Sony, you either do the same and match or maybe exceed whatever MS does, or you build a system that will have a slightly lower clocked CPU and a GPU that's like 1-3TF weaker and rough out the rest of the gen with the mantle of being the weaker console.

How important Sony believes any of that is remains to be seen.

Jdogg4089

Jan 28, 2019

The radeon 7 is disgusting.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
AMD has already released a 7nm card. Sounds like you're expecting magic from Navi.

Radeon 7... essentially a Vega shrink, i.e. an absolute mess of a GPU microarch whose main headline features mostly aren't even enabled.

Yeah, that's not an indication of anything fam.

I agree with this....

If for nothing else it's that Sony knows exactly what MS is going to try and do. Sony knows MS will go for the best hardware they can get and will opt for the best cooling solution they can get too.

So the choice is simple for Sony, you either do the same and match or maybe exceed whatever MS does, or you build a system that will have a slightly lower clocked CPU and a GPU that's like 1-3TF weaker and rough out the rest of the gen with the mantle of being the weaker console.

How important Sony believes any of that is remains to be seen.

I don't think MS or Sony internally will be framing their plans against a backdrop of what they think the other will do.

Contrary to prrvious gens, it seems both companies have their own visions for gaming and will be looking to execute their own strategies inpendent of what they might think the other is doing.

They will consider each other's moves after the fact, but they won't orient their design decisions around speculation on what the other is planning; that would be a woefully precarious strategy to stake your entire next 6-7 yrs of console business on.

Both MS and Sony will build the fastest boxes thwy can because of (but not limited to) the following:
  • Mid-gen boxes have become a point of comparison for consumers (like it or not) -So marketing next-gen consoles against 4k for example is a non-starter because we already have 4k boxes.
  • Streaming competitors present a threat to consoles - casual console gamer mindshare needs to be retained in the knowledge that a box under the TV provides the absolute pinnacle AAA gaming experience. An underpowered next-gen console won't achieve that.
  • Advancement in manufacturing process technology slowdown means future node shrinks aren't a given - meaning next-gen mid-gen upgrades may not make sense and the 5 and 3nm process nodes may never be economical for consoles. The future beyond silicon scaling is fundamentally uncertain.
  • Rise in the importance of digital platform revenues to the business mean a lesser reliance hardware and physical game sale revenues, meaning a more aggressive hardware launch (in terms of absorbed sunk costs) can be justofied - i've been back forth on this, but have recently become convinced that the importance of the console business to both MS and Sony is such that they'll both be willing to invest more aggressively to launch their new platforms.
  • Platform subscriptions appear to present a plethora of new ongoing revenue possibilites - these can further lend justification to an aggressive next-gen console launch.
The radeon 7 is disgusting.

Undercooked is more accurate. Hence why Navi will appear to be a big improvement (even if it only closes the gap somewhat on NVidia's efficiency advantage).

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Wait, so with Google Stadia, can a developer dynamically allocate additional compute power(scene complexity,, physics distribution, animation complexity, behavioral modeling) depending on the scene requirements of a game on a per scene basis?

Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, although that is amazing tech, there really isn't anything stopping Sony/Microsoft from also using this tech to augment additional compute on their new consoles too, no?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Radeon 7... essentially a Vega shrink, i.e. an absolute mess of a GPU microarch whose main headline features mostly aren't even enabled.

Yeah, that's not an indication of anything fam.

I don't think MS or Sony internally will be framing their plans against a backdrop of what they think the other will do.

Contrary to prrvious gens, it seems both companies have their own visions for gaming and will be looking to execute their own strategies inpendent of what they might think the other is doing.

They will consider each other's moves after the fact, but they won't orient their design decisions around speculation on what the other is planning; that would be a woefully precarious strategy to stake your entire next 6-7 yrs of console business on.

Both MS and Sony will build the fastest boxes thwy can because of (but not limited to) the following:
  • Mid-gen boxes have become a point of comparison for consumers (like it or not) -So marketing next-gen consoles against 4k for example is a non-starter because we already have 4k boxes.
  • Streaming competitors present a threat to consoles - casual console gamer mindshare needs to be retained in the knowledge that a box under the TV provides the absolute pinnacle AAA gaming experience. An underpowered next-gen console won't achieve that.
  • Advancement in manufacturing process technology slowdown means future node shrinks aren't a given - meaning next-gen mid-gen upgrades may not make sense and the 5 and 3nm process nodes may never be economical for consoles. The future beyond silicon scaling is fundamentally uncertain.
  • Rise in the importance of digital platform revenues to the business mean a lesser reliance hardware and physical game sale revenues, meaning a more aggressive hardware launch (in terms of absorbed sunk costs) can be justofied - i've been back forth on this, but have recently become convinced that the importance of the console business to both MS and Sony is such that they'll both be willing to invest more aggressively to launch their new platforms.
  • Platform subscriptions appear to present a plethora of new ongoing revenue possibilites - these can further lend justification to an aggressive next-gen console launch.

Undercooked is more accurate. Hence why Navi will appear to be a big improvement (even if it only closes the gap somewhat on NVidia's efficiency advantage).

Navi won't outbeat a Radeon 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.