• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Does the PS4 OS (or whatever is built upon) even really support SSD fully to make full use of them? The load time decreases seen from switching to an SSD from a HDD aren't that impressive IMO. I mean yeah, they're a lot lower, but the load times are still too high. I could have sworn I remember someone saying that SSD's wouldn't work as fast as they do in Windows because the OS PlayStation is using would need to be rebuilt to support them... Or something?

Either way I don't think we'll not have an SSD option at least with PS5, even if they don't make load times as quick as in PC's.

I'm expecting ssd loading speeds to be mandatory. You won't be able to play off a HDD. How they'll go about that is what the above debate is about.

Will be similar as to when you put to slow an sd card or USB stick into a console at the moment, "sorry that's to slow to use".

The whole exercise will be pretty pointless if devs can't design around having a minimum transfer speed.

Nov 18, 2017
Ok it's safe to say you don't know what you are talking about.

In no specific order....

1) yes. Eventually SSDs will cost less than HDDs. There is a point that a mechanical HDDs price can't go below. And there is even a point it starts to increase. And that's just looking at the hardware. If we go into the demand, the second the entire industry is pretty much going with SSDs, whoever is left ordering HDDs is fucked.

2) who is this everyone wanted a 1TB HDD that you speak of? The majority of console buyers don't even know it's possible to upgrade your HDD much less want a 1TB HDD. Don't get it twisted. We on forums like these represent less then 5% of the gaming console buying populace.

3) and no. A 240GB cache drive + 1TB/2TB HDD is not going to be cheaper than whatever they spend on a 1TB SSD. That's really a very silly thing to say.

Beside's the added complexity to build, the added disadvantages to repairability, a setup like that will also weigh more and cost more to ship. Those all add up. As I've said. The only way splitting the storage makes sense is if an SSD costs them more than $40. But as long as it costs less (and all indications are showing it could cost them as little as $35) then going with a standalone SSD makes more all round sense.

4) and again no. No 200GB nonsense for games. What are you talking about??? The reason x enhnaced games take up that much space is simply due to dupliction of of assets. They basically have assets for the base version and for the X version. 200GB for games lol.....

I predict this post will age badly.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I'm expecting ssd loading speeds to be mandatory. You won't be able to play off a HDD. How they'll go about that is what the above debate is about.

Will be similar as to when you put to slow an sd card or USB stick into a console at the moment, "sorry that's to slow to use".

The whole exercise will be pretty pointless if devs can't design around having a minimum transfer speed.
I like this idea, basically they can tier the extended storage. If it's fast enough (Tier 1), you can run PS5 games on it. If it's not (Tier 2), you can back up PS5 games and run PS4 games.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I even said there are people more knowledgeable than I. I just know from what actual Engineers at AMD, and Third party vendors have assessed about NAVI as consumer product line. There is a Navi 20 in the mix which will more than likely by their high end, but leaks from AdoredTv and a couple others that talk about TSMC process, and the kind of yields they are seeing have caused confusion since from what reputable leakers have said that it was re-spun hence the no show at CES 2019.

From what you have said you don't know anymore than I , I just know from people that I trust in their knowledge, and their connections like actual vendors that Navi will be price/perf conscious,.

I literally was replying to someone who said Navi will be more powerful than Radeon 7. ANd currently with what has leaked and what we know from AMD's actual Pipeline they layed out high end NAVI is later.

Radeon 7 is a stop gap card, hence why it's using MI50 chips in it and HBM2 memory and not GDDR6. It did not cost them more R&D t make it.
We know that RX 590 was literally a last minute product like the Radeon 7 that they are trying to get the best perf/watt they can out of the first lineup of NAVI. So them putting out those cards as just stop gap cards while they get NAVI ready for initial launch this year that will 100% replace VEGA/Polaris lineup as time goes on.
What they will release first is what we don't know. But from what AMD engineers have said them selves the focus is on perf/watt which means efficiency in their focus. Which is what Polaris was for it's time.

You are right there isn't enough info out there, as in knowing how many CU's we will have, currently their high end has 64-60 with Radeon 7 having 60 but vega have 64.

There's nothing incoherent about my argument if you actually took the time to see the things that have literally been talked about by AMD themselves, and knowing what their roadmap is.

I won't derail any further, i just reacted to a comment someone made saying navi would be more powerful than radeon 7. And that would be true if navi 20 had a lot of what your are talking about. But it also would have to have over 1tb of memory bandwidth which so for no card has except the RADEON 7. So in raw performance maybe the navi 20 is way more effecient has more CU's, better memory controller with GDDR6. But lacks the high band width of 1tb that radeon 7 has because of the 16gb of memory.

I mean it cost them close to $600 alone to build a radeon 7 I don't think they want another product which is that expensive. ANd seeing GDDR6 prices are still not as cheap as what GDDR5/GDDR5X were I'm inclined to believe they may be going for more price conscious cards, with maybe the RADEON 7and Navi 20 being their high end.

TechRadar using couple people that are hit or miss for sources is in the same boat I a, thinking that Navi 20 probably does exist but is not on the roadmap till next year.

So for when in May they announce the new chips we will have a lineup that will at some point compete with high end, but nothing in the 2080ti range until 2020.

Your original reply saying "Navi won't be faster than Radeon 7" was posted against my post in which I was discussing the problems with the Vega architecture and why I think Navi won't see the same ills befall it.

Go back and check. Hence why I called that post incoherent because it didn't follow logically from what I posted and led us off on this somewhat heated tangent.

Perhaps you responded to thw wrong person?

Reagrdless, I can see you're well read up on all the Navi rumours, I would simply only caution to take all that stuff with a pinch of salt.

Internet guys and even tech outlets can be wrong as sources can be bogus and plans can change.

Point is, it's not wise to plant your flag in the sand and make definitive statements about an unannounced GPU architecture when you even admit we KNOW nothing about it.

All we know is rumours and speculation and that is subject to change, embellishment and bullshit.

The anti-SSD folks should consider the trend on SSD prices and where prices will be 2 or 3 years from now.

Cost isn't the only factor though. Reliability while very good these days, may still be a concern for a console.

Can someone give me a simple layman explanation for the follow two queries?

1. Why has it been a trend for AMD GPUs to always have lower performance/watt compared to nVidia GPUs (since forever)?
2. Why do AMD GPUs always have higher raw "TF" value which do not translate into performance compared to their nVidia GPU counterparts?

With no insider knowledge whatsoever I would guess the biggest reasons are a combination of the following:
a) Market share and Sales Volumes -
Market share means NVidia gets paid and takes more per GPU than their competitor. More revenue means deeper coffers for larger R&D spend which is everything in semi-conductor development - you can't get around it.
Their higher sales volumes also mean bigger production volumes and this can be a huge advantage when speed binning parts for the various market sectors you intend to market products to. E.g. if you imagine a normal distribution of chips coming off the line based on how high they'll clock stably, with higher overall volumes you can shift your product boundaries for speed bins to the right.
Higher overall production volumes allows you to have more of your highest end parts meaning you can skew your enthusiast level cards to the absolute cream de la creme perf/watt dies coming off the line.
b) Microarchitectural Advantages
The advantages here pretty much play into the above, because a richer company with bigger coffers can afford more for researching and developing (and patenting) the best technology.

If next gen consoles do not come with NVMe SSDs, next gen consoles are already dead.

:-O...

*slowy backs away from this post*

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh? You don't need to transfer all the data? You mean... using the SSD for caching? :)

If the devs want to. If they want a full installation, I want them to be able to do that too. I would also much rather get a 1TB SSD and then have the freedom to buy my own 4-8TB external drive that I was going to buy anyway, than end up with a much smaller cache and a larger console so I can have a 2TB HDD that I don't really need.

People play from their HDD, they like having their libraries installed, it's not for backup. Most launch PS4 games are less than 40GB and it had 500GB so you could have like 12 games and still, everyone wanted 1TB and called the 500GB drive too small.

The vast majority of gamers don't give a shit about what drive they play their games from and wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about. The system would be fully automated allowing for easy use with some wait times. All they'd need to do is buy an external drive.

You've just described caching again, another point to team "small SSD drive for caching".

No, it's a point to 'large SSD for caching AND installing'.

Removing a driver bay and saving 40g of weight will never offset the huge difference in pricing between an SSD and a magnetic drive. Anything you can do with an SSD you can do cheaper with an SSD+HDD combo.

So you're just going to ignore the appeal of a smaller console, the reduced manufacturing complexity/rate of failure and the likely bigger drops in SSD costs in the future?

And again, I don't want a 256GB SSD, I want a 1TB one, then I can get my own external drive. Hell of a lot easier to use.

Yes, 200GB games. X enhanced games are close to 100GB, next-gen games will be bigger. Gears 4 is 121.23GB, how much will Gears 6 on next-gen will take? 100GB will probably be a pretty small AAA install size.

And Sekiro is 15GB. Current-gen games with huge textures just quickly chucked in with minimal optimisation, for a hardcore-focused mid-gen console, is not an indication of future game sizes. Devs are not going to want all of their games requiring a second disc or 80-100GB downloads even if they were purchased physically, so most games will almost certainly be developed to fit on a single 100-128GB disc, with some games only being 30-50GB.

If in some magical way SSDs will become so cheap that they will be cheaper than a mechanical drive, Sony can use a full SSD for the slim or pro. For now they better stick with an SSD+HDD combo.

What ever a 1TB SSD will cost them in 2020, a cache SSD and a 2TB HDD will cost them less and preformance will be the same.

It has nothing to do with magic, it's the simple fact that SSDs are going to get cheaper and cheaper until they eventually match HDDs. And a great chunk of that drop will happen over the next year. And you don't know what price those parts will be when the time comes, but even if a 1TB SSD is $35 and the cache+HDD IS like $10+20, I would bet that the increased size, weight and complexity of the cache+HDD would close the gap, even without taking into account future price reductions.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Does the PS4 OS (or whatever is built upon) even really support SSD fully to make full use of them? The load time decreases seen from switching to an SSD from a HDD aren't that impressive IMO. I mean yeah, they're a lot lower, but the load times are still too high. I could have sworn I remember someone saying that SSD's wouldn't work as fast as they do in Windows because the OS PlayStation is using would need to be rebuilt to support them... Or something?

Either way I don't think we'll not have an SSD option at least with PS5, even if they don't make load times as quick as in PC's.
The SATA bus in current gen consoles limits their transfer rates. The OS also are not coded to anticipate them (OS typically have unique management for SSDs that differ from HDD), and games are not coded to anticipate their load speed advantages.

These reasons are why it's crucial to bake them in from inception. E.g. they need PCIe lanes dedicated, the OS needs SSD management smarts, and devs need to be told to expect them with read/write transfer rate specifics.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
4) and again no. No 200GB nonsense for games. What are you talking about??? The reason x enhnaced games take up that much space is simply due to dupliction of of assets. They basically have assets for the base version and for the X version. 200GB for games lol.....

Wait, really? I didn't know this, I thought the assets were replaced. Do we know what the average size of those large X-enhanced games would be if you deleted base assets?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The SATA bus in current gen consoles limits their transfer rates. The OS also are not coded to anticipate them (OS typically have unique management for SSDs that differ from HDD), and games are not coded to anticipate their load speed advantages.

These reasons are why it's crucial to bake them in from inception. E.g. they need PCIe lanes dedicated, the OS needs SSD management smarts, and devs need to be told to expect them with read/write transfer rate specifics.

This answers my question well enough. Hopefully they come up with a good solution and are already working on making sure SDKs support said solution. At the end of the day I'd like better loading times than PS4 + internal SSD even if they go with SATA again.

I'm personally not too keen on the idea of having dual-drive setup (as described by others earlier) though because of power efficiency and reducing the number of potential failure points. I would ideally like to see it come with a SATA SSD and them announce it also has a slot for nvme (can only use one or the other) for faster performance but I won't get my hopes up.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This answers my question well enough. Hopefully they come up with a good solution and are already working on making sure SDKs support said solution. At the end of the day I'd like better loading times than PS4 + internal SSD even if they go with SATA again.

I'm personally not too keen on the idea of having dual-drive setup (as described by others earlier) though because of power efficiency and reducing the number of potential failure points. I would ideally like to see it come with a SATA SSD and them announce it also has a slot for nvme (can only use one or the other) for faster performance but I won't get my hopes up.
I think most will agree that we hope the OD is the only SATA component in the box.

Edit: this M2 1TB NVMe SSD with 2GB/s speeds is $95 after a promo code. We've gone sub $0.10/GB.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820156199?ignorebbr=1&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What the E3 leaker said so far that came somewhat true:

-No E3.
-Anthem is a mess.
-Ape Escape is returning.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think most will agree that we hope the OD is the only SATA component in the box.

Edit: this M2 1TB NVMe SSD with 2GB/s speeds is $95 after a promo code. We've gone sub $0.10/GB.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820156199?ignorebbr=1&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

One thing I was wondering was, just how fast would a guaranteed NVMe SSD in these consoles actually need to be? Currently we have HDDs that go at about 100MB/s if I remember correctly, so even a middling 500MB/s SSD would still be a huge improvement. For the purposes of the consoles, how much of a leap would we see from 500MB, to 1GB, to 2GB, etc? At what point would Sony and MS be able to hold off on speed to go with a cheaper or more reliable SSD?

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I've been thinking about the next-gen consoles recently. Specifically, I have been wondering how much of an improvement they will offer over what I currently have in my PC.

Right now I have: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080, Intel Core i7 7700k at 5Ghz and 16Gb of G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz memory. I am basically trying to understand their potential computational power in relation to my own system.

For example, I can play Shadown of the Tomb Raider nearly maxed (using TAA, not SMAA) at ~55 FPS+ at 1440p. If you were translate that into next-gen, what do you think the a rough estimate of their performance would be based on the rumored specs?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DANTE ( XDK )

CPU: Custom AMD Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.2GHz
GPU: Custom AMD Navi @ 1475MHz
MEMORY: 48GB GDDR6 @ 672GB/s
STORAGE: SSD 4TB NVMe @ 3GB/s

Just saw this. Surely this is fake. Who needs that much memory and that much SSD space even in a devkit?

Just for reference.

64 CU at 1475 = 12.08 Tflops.(Theoretical GCN limit)
72 CU at 1475 = 13.5 Tflops. (Double the Pro)
80 CU at 1475 = 15.1 Tflops.(Double the X1X)

Im going with 80 CUs. Come on Phill, give me the good stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
60 = 11TF
64 = 12TF
72 = 13TF
80 = 15TF

giphy.gif

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
For some reason I've been thinking about the next-gen consoles recently. Specifically, I have been wondering how much of an improvement they will offer over what I currently have in my PC.

Right now I have: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080, Intel Core i7 7700k at 5Ghz and 16Gb of G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz memory. I am basically trying to understand their potential computational power in relation to my own system.

For example, I can play Shadown of the Tomb Raider nearly maxed (using TAA, not SMAA) at ~55 FPS+ at 1440p. If you were translate that into next-gen, what do you think the a rough estimate of their performance would be based on the rumored specs?

Far less. You can't compare because the biggest thing about the new consoles will be the new baseline they provide. For one thing, a big reason why you can run games at very high framerates is because they were made to work on underpowered Jaguar CPUs. Next-gen will see a huge improvement in that area, though your cpu will still be able to handle them. Also, the RAM in your graphics card will no longer be so much greater than what's in the consoles.

Baseline spec. That's what we're excited for.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Just saw this. Surely this is fake. Who needs that much memory and that much SSD space even in a devkit?

Just for reference.

The 4TB SSD is a bit odd, but if the console has 24GB of RAM then the dev kit having double that is just a repeat of the X.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cyberpunk was running on 1080p 30 fps on a 1080 Ti. I expect most third party games to look like that next gen. At least in the first half of the gen.

The Unity heretic demo was running on a 'high end gaming PC' according to Unity at 1440p 30 fps. I expect most games to be 1440p 30 fps upscaled or checkerboarded to 4k. I think 60 fps will just be reserved for shooters.

Unity's Megacity demo runs at 1080p 60fps on a GTX 1060 on medium settings.

Unity's book of the dead demo can run at well over 100 FPS on a RTX 2080 Ti. It should be doable on a next gen console at 30 fps.

This photorealism rebirth demo runs at 60 fps 1080p on a single 1080Ti.

In short, games will look much better than Shadow of tomb raider.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
A clean PS4 with a 1TB HDD has 861.2 GB for games, the PS5 will probably have less. So how fast will ~800GB fill-up?
Halo 5 - 99GB
Forza 7 - 95GB
Gear 4 - 112.3GB
QB - 102GB
COD BO3 - 113GB
FFXV - 148GB
Middle-earth Shadow of War - 95GB
RDR2 - 107 GB

Do I need to go on? 4K games with 4K textures are big, very big and this is based on current gen assets. Some of these games don't even have high res textures for 4K and games also have DLC and expansions, you need room for all of that. Next gen? Yeah, 150GB is going to be something you see all the time and the really big games will get to 200GB. 1TB is just too small, 5-6 average AAA games will probably fill it up real fast and big games like COD will fill it up faster.

1TB SSD might get to ~40$ OEM price for the volumes that a console manufacturer buys, but even if we ignore arguments for other setups, 1TB is just too small. 2TB SSD? No way in hell that's happening.

You also have to take to account that the memory and the CPU will be more expensive than last gen, storage is one of the last areas where they should go wild. If they have money to spare, they should spend it on more memory.

And yes, SSDs will be cheaper than mechanical drives eventually but not in the PS5's early life cycle so it has nothing to do with the discussion we are having right now. Sony and Microsoft probably already shopped for their storage solution and they will change it anyway every few years with new SKUs.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both divisions are in a better financial place this time around. They can afford to take larger losses. They may also go for $499.
No one is willingly going to take losses anymore in 2019. Company's quarterly results are what matter the most to shareholders. no one is going to tolerate a massive billion dollar loss just because Sony wanted to give hardcore gamers a $500 console for $400. or a $600 for $500. We have seen this all gen. Both Sony and MS launched underpowered consoles to make sure they dont take a big loss. They launched Pro consoles at a profit. they still havent gone down to $199 in the 6th year of this gen, only exceptions being black friday sales.

80 CUs would take up roughly the same physical space as current gen launch hardwares' CUs, but 7nm is more expensive. So it should fit within the thermal and power budget, but maybe not the $ budget.
So 64 CU at 12 tflops makes the most sense at $499. Disappointing but realistic i guess.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
No one is willingly going to take losses anymore in 2019. Company's quarterly results are what matter the most to shareholders. no one is going to tolerate a massive billion dollar loss just because Sony wanted to give hardcore gamers a $500 console for $400. or a $600 for $500. We have seen this all gen. Both Sony and MS launched underpowered consoles to make sure they dont take a big loss. They launched Pro consoles at a profit. they still havent gone down to $199 in the 6th year of this gen, only exceptions being black friday sales.

So 64 CU at 12 tflops makes the most sense at $499. Disappointing but realistic i guess.
Oh, I am not saying 80CUs doesn't fit within the component cost budget, because we don't know what that is. 80CUs should theoretically fit in a console at 7nm, but we don't know the appetite to pay for it.

On taking more losses... Sony already warned investors that they were going to "crouch down to jump higher" as a strategy. They've already projected a loss in profitability in 2021. It's far less risky to take losses on hardware going into next generation because of the revenue generated through PSN, so I do anticipate at least Sony will take bigger loss on PS5 than they did on PS4.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Just for reference.

Wayyyyyy too early for XDK like this unless this is releasing in 2019. Right now dev kits are all high end PCs.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018
Not following the thread but are we looking at an APU for next gen consoles or discrete CPU and GPU?
Most likely an APU, however there is a very slim chance that they might go for an MCM/Chiplet solution.
It depends on MCM-packaging cost, 7nm yield and many other factors and we don't know any of these numbers.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019
If next gen consoles do not come with NVMe SSDs, next gen consoles are already dead.

SSDs are still too expensive. You think that MS or Sony would put SSD in their new consoles and take a loss because of that just to make some gamer hapier? Nope.
Surely i would love an SSD in new consoles, but that won't happen in next year or two

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
200GB games. I expect we'll get there very quickly once next-gen is underway. I also expect 1TB as standard.
Well we both expect a minimum of 1TB as standard. We seem to differ on the expectation that 200GB games will be the norm.

I'm not writing it off. But I'm saying that 200GB games will be the exception. And not a single game will come out and be 200GB out the gate. With dlc and stuff sure..... Maybe. I expect the norm to be between 60GB and 120GB. Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of things that will be done next gen to reduce these game sizes, like far better compression that having crap CPUs this gen prevented. Or the complete elimination of shadow maps when majority of the games completely do away with baked lighting....etc.

Wait, really? I didn't know this, I thought the assets were replaced. Do we know what the average size of those large X-enhanced games would be if you deleted base assets?
Hard to peg down. But yes. A game that's supposed to run on the fly if it's on an XB1 or an XB1x pretty much would have to have assets for both platforms available.

The thing about all that, is that you haven't even seen what the hardware you are talking about can really do. Maybe unless you are trying to play something like star citizen. The issue is that the games, and even the assets or engines made to make them are designed to the tune of the specs in those 2013 consoles.

It's a brutal but real fact. Most game sales are on consoles. So they are in turn made for consoles.

When next gen comes around, packing ryzen CPUs and GPUs capable of ~12TF, you can kiss being able to run any game made for those consoles on your hardest at above 30fps good bye. Well unless you made a lot of concessions. The good thing though is that there will a sleep of new and powerful PC hardware looking around the new consoles that will as usual run circles around them too..... For a price. Rinse and repeat.
SSDs are still too expensive. You think that MS or Sony would put SSD in their new consoles and take a loss because of that just to make some gamer hapier? Nope.
This whole SSD are too expensive talk..... Is it that you guys are just completely oblivious to SSD pricing in say just the last year?

Or is it that you guys think Sony/Ms get their components for the same prices you see them at retail.....

Or even worse, is it that you think having an SSD is a courtesy and about making people happy?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Saving $50 on the SOC and going with 10TF instead of 14TF is better than no SSD
2 minute loading times is 1990 tech.

During the start of Xbox One and Ps4 it was fine, as SSD tech was still very expensive and the capacity not there yet.
For Xbox One X is was slightly disappointing to have no SSD, but the goal of that console was to just output Xbox One games at 4K and the whole system was not designed for fast drive speed.

Stadia showed instand game access and booting up any safegame in a second.
Next gen consoles without SSDs will be unacceptable.

Jun 18, 2018
There is also the possibility of not having a full 2.5 SDD, but having the appropriate components on the motherboard. AMD produce their own SSDs and also have GFX cards with SDDs built in. This could be a cheaper option than going to a third party for a whole 2.5 SDD.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Sacrifice power for an SSD? No thanks.
They don't even have to sacrifice power for an SSD.

In 2020, first spending about the same they spent in 2013 for a 500GB (~$22-$35 depending on which source you are using) they will be able to get a 1TB SSD in there.

How do we know this? Cause back in 2013 what they paid at OEM pricing for HDDs was under half of what those HDDs cost at retail. So look at whatever the cost of a 1TB SSD is by the end of this year, knock some of that off the price then halve that amount and you get around what they will be paying for a 1TB SSD.

And a few posts above there is even a 1TB NVMe SSD for around $100.... And that post came hours after I checked on Amazon and only found a 1TB SATA m.2 SSD for around $100. If all that doesn't tell you that by this time next year we should have 1TB SSDs for around $80 at retail I don't know what else will.

Jan 17, 2019
They don't even have to sacrifice power for an SSD.

In 2020, first spending about the same they spent in 2013 for a 500GB (~$22-$35 depending on which source you are using) they will be able to get a 1TB SSD in there.

How do we know this? Cause back in 2013 what they paid at OEM pricing for HDDs was under half of what those HDDs cost at retail. So look at whatever the cost of a 1TB SSD is by the end of this year, knock some of that off the price then halve that amount and you get around what they will be paying for a 1TB SSD.

And a few posts above there is even a 1TB NVMe SSD for around $100.... And that post came hours after I checked on Amazon and only found a 1TB SATA m.2 SSD for around $100. If all that doesn't tell you that by this time next year we should have 1TB SSDs for around $80 at retail I don't know what else will.

With promo code.
Yeah, also checked Amazon. Found regular 1TB HDD for 37$

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
With no insider knowledge whatsoever I would guess the biggest reasons are a combination of the following:
a) Market share and Sales Volumes -
Market share means NVidia gets paid and takes more per GPU than their competitor. More revenue means deeper coffers for larger R&D spend which is everything in semi-conductor development - you can't get around it.
Their higher sales volumes also mean bigger production volumes and this can be a huge advantage when speed binning parts for the various market sectors you intend to market products to. E.g. if you imagine a normal distribution of chips coming off the line based on how high they'll clock stably, with higher overall volumes you can shift your product boundaries for speed bins to the right.
Higher overall production volumes allows you to have more of your highest end parts meaning you can skew your enthusiast level cards to the absolute cream de la creme perf/watt dies coming off the line.
b) Microarchitectural Advantages
The advantages here pretty much play into the above, because a richer company with bigger coffers can afford more for researching and developing (and patenting) the best technology.

Thank you. I had to look up "speed binning" btw. So I guess this is how nVidia make their "foundry" versions of cards.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Sacrifice power for an SSD? No thanks.
It's the first advice for anything. Get an SSD. For Office PCs, Gaming PC. SDD is the biggest improvement you will instantly notice and benefit from doing everything.
Today with all those short multiplayer experiences where you hop in for a short time. What matters more? Getting the game ready in 30 seconds from cold boot, or 3 minutes and some more pleasing visual effects?

To boot up my Xbox One X, start a game and get the save loading I waste over 3 minutes of my time.
In 3 minutes i can download and install a 10GB game on my PC.

Fast data transfer is important for everything. Apps, the overall experience, the OS running, OS updates, Game updates, the games itself, game assets.
GPU power? Pretty much just eye candy.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't check this thread for some time yet I just found that people now think 15 TF with 48 GB VRAM is doable. What happened?

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I didn't check this thread for some time yet I just found that people now think 15 TF with 48 GB VRAM is doable. What happened?

There is always hope on the very high end of things. (People hoped back in 2012 that the PS4 is stronger than the 3TFLOP GTX 680 aswell. Didn't happen)
15TF is not possible for a console in 2020 and if that miracle actually happens then I would buy the entire inventory of consoles anyway, disassemble them and sell the pieces individually to make money.

Feb 10, 2018
There is always hope on the very high end of things. (People hoped back in 2012 that the PS4 is stronger than the 3TFLOP GTX 680 aswell. Didn't happen)
15TF is not possible for a console in 2020 and if that miracle actually happens then I would buy the entire inventory of consoles anyway, disassemble them and sell the pieces individually to make money.

Is it actually possible to make a console APU like the ones in Sony + ms consoles work with Windows?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
With promo code.
Yeah, also checked Amazon. Found regular 1TB HDD for 37$
And then you are missing the point. Completely.

Without a promo code a m.2 NVMe 1TB SSD on Amazon cost $105.

Crucial P1 1000GB M.2/NGFF (2280) NVMe/PCIe

This Last year you couldn't get a 1TB nvme SSD for under $200.

Further more, do you think that regular 1TB HDD for $37 today cost $37 on Amazon in 2016 when Sony put one in the PS4 pro??

See where we are going with this?

Not only will a 1TB SSD cost less than $105 by this time next year at retail, it will also cost sony and Ms less than that to put one in. And even better, like with everything else, over time it's price will drop even more.

So while it may cost sony/Ms $30 to put one in in 2020, by 2023 they could either put in a 2TB SSD for the same money or spend half that and stick with 1TB.

And to further drive home this point and why we would say SSD prices will drop below HDD prices and how there is a limit to how low HDD prices can go....

Have you tried checking how much it costs for 500GB HDD on Amazon? Spoiler, there is only like a $6 difference between a 500GB HDD and a 1TB HDD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.