• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Sony is making all the right choices with the hardware it seems.

Really excited for ray tracing and fast SSD for next gen playstation.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Once again, the next gen is gonna be more lit than people had been expecting.

Lol, I mean if ray tracing was not gonna be a huge bullet point for them next gen Cerny wouldn't have been talking about it. It's gonna be an integral part of the console.

Well I think it is best to not overhype it. I would be surprised if next gen consoles have a lot of dedicated RayTracing hardware, because that costs money and space inside the console.

If I had to take an educated guess I'd say that all AMD Navi hardware supports RayTracing and is really good at it. Maybe not as good Nvidia Turing cards with dedicated RayTracing cores, but better than old hardware like the GTX 1080 running RayTracing through DirectX.

Could be an inbetween with a small amount of hardware that is good at RayTracing but can also be used for something else when RayTracing is not needed in a game. Hard to say, but I don't want to overhype the joy of the moment and go down HYPE-Avenue only to crash into a wall at full speed.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
from that leak nothing has come true but from this leak everything has come true after cerny interview today
Talk about selective hearing. It shares virtually all the same bullet-points as the one you posted, i.e. 8 core Zen 2, Navi GPU, SSD (which your post actually has wrong), Backwards compatible - which virtually anyone could guess.

At least the one I shared has been partially corroborated by hmgg, who has something of a trackrecord.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
All of this sounds really good. Want to call out the guy being so sure the next PS would be a "hybrid console", but I'll be the bigger man :p

Anyway, let's hope this all works out!

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Talk about selective hearing. It shares virtually all the same bullet-points as the one you posted, i.e. 8 core Zen 2, Navi GPU, Backwards compatible - which virtually anyone could guess.

At least the one I shared has been partially corroborated by hmgg, who has something of a trackrecord.
why are we arguing . we know its not gonna be 8 Tf and higher than 10.7 TF of stadia .so i selectively choose to accept the one i showed you

you are free to believe what you want

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The careful wording of the article in this regard was not lost on me. At minimum, the ability for PS5 to do some RT work is exciting, even if there's nothing to the extent of turing's RT cores.

Yeah, I'm not worried about that. With PS5 officially at least having some level of ray tracing capabilities, there's little doubt that Sony could double down on ray tracing with a PS5 Pro in 2023/2024 using an AMD GPU several generations beyond Navi (and even beyond "Next-Gen" AMD GPU on 7nm+ w/ EUV due sometime in 2020).

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why did Sony suddenly drop this? Why are they so open about the PS5 before an official unveiling, and it's still a year out?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
why are we arguing . we know its not gonna be 8 Tf and higher than 10.7 TF of stadia .so i selectively choose to accept the one i showed you

you are free to believe what you want
Except we don't. PS4 Pros are still going for $400 in the US, and they're only 4Tf. If they want to throw an SSD, more [and modern] memory, and a new CPU in, 8TF might be all they can manage - provided they wish to hit that $399 pricepoint

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I posted this in the other thread too, does this make it possible that the PS5 could be Spring 2020? Why would they release the info so early otherwise.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Except we don't. PS4 Pros are still going for $400 in the US, and they're only 4Tf. If they want to throw an SSD, more [and modern] memory, and a new CPU in, 8TF might be all they can manage - provided they wish to hit that $399 pricepoint

You do realize the msrp is meant to maximize profit. The Pro is still selling at the price because people are buying it at that price. Not because it has to be that price

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you are 2 months late to 8 TF bandwagon shrier already confirmed both anaconda and PS5 are above 10.7 Tf.Sorry not gonna waste time to persuade you to see the infos.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't tell us much more than what everybody expected, Ryzen 2/Navi/2020.
I wouldn't get too excited about the RT part yet.
Unless it has dedicated hardware for it, it won't matter much.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-16-sony-reveals-first-playstation-5-details

"Digital Foundry has already begun crunching the numbers on what it expects from PlayStation 5 based on today's report. We'll have that live soon"

Looking forward to hear analysis from R.Leadbetter and Dark1x !

giphy.gif

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have our first info! Pretty crazy that Sony was able to keep things mostly to themselves. I'm now here for the #team2019 funeral.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I like the enthusiam but this information gives us zero clue about the performance of the console.

Panzer Dragoon

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Why did Sony suddenly drop this? Why are they so open about the PS5 before an official unveiling, and it's still a year out?

Most prob because SONY know they've allowed MS to have an open goal at this year's E3 and this is just a little spoiler for MS, before E3.
When instead of interviews MS will be showing off Hardware and games. It's all great stuff, super impressive and just all sounds utterly fab, bar the silly talk of 8k support

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the leak from few months back :

1. I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5.

2. Some infos that i'd like to share that are 99% correct(i say 99% because small incremental hardware change can occur till 2020,although specs are set in stone).

3. -PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
  4. -PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
  5. -backward compatible
  6. -physical games & ps store
  7. -ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
  8. -specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
  9. GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
  10. 24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
  11. -2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
  12. -8k upscaling
  13. -PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
  14. -dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
  15. -price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning

https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR/
SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

That 2TB HDD thing along a cache, with the revelations of today that PS5 can load an AAA game like Spider Man in less than a second seem to confirm it kinda.

Surely what else is on there doesn't seem as crazy. But I was told 14 tflop was physically impossible, unless the console cost $800?

Jumping from 1.8tflop to this thing is gonna be crazy.

Well I think it is best to not overhype it. I would be surprised if next gen consoles have a lot of dedicated RayTracing hardware, because that costs money and space inside the console.

If I had to take an educated guess I'd say that all AMD Navi hardware supports RayTracing and is really good at it. Maybe not as good Nvidia Turing cards with dedicated RayTracing cores, but better than old hardware like the GTX 1080 running RayTracing through DirectX.

Could be an inbetween with a small amount of hardware that is good at RayTracing but can also be used for something else when RayTracing is not needed in a game. Hard to say, but I don't want to overhype the joy of the moment and go down HYPE-Avenue only to crash into a wall at full speed.
I think we're gonna be pleasantly surprised, having seen BF5 with RTX it looks amazing, the reflections on the metal and windows, the really wet water surfaces, I'll be content with that next gen.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
you'd want to get ahead of the leaks, this way they control the information. Also obviously they wanted to have something out before MS does.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't tell us much more than what everybody expected, Ryzen 2/Navi/2020.
I wouldn't get too excited about the RT part yet.
Unless it has dedicated hardware for it, it won't matter much.

Tbh, if they mentioned Rt anc the GPU custom then it ends being just an emulation, then it would be really not worth mentioning. Liek I said before the GPU is a custom one so it mostly have dedicated hardware. Hell even the Audio is kinda supported by RT so this should be hardware based. And have faith bro.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tbh, if they mentioned Rt anc the GPU custom then it ends being just an emulation, then it would be really not worth mentioning. Liek I said before the GPU is a custom one so it mostly have dedicated hardware. Hell even the Audio is kinda supported by RT so this should be hardware based. And have faith bro.

I don't know, dedicated hw eats up valuable and limited space...

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
D-Does this count as a reveal? Does it not? WE EATING ANYWAY

The SSD part is exciting. Does it rule out the HDD + SSD solution? Anyway, this seems more like a 499 machines than a 399 machine, at least today. By 2020, it may seem different.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
maybe they finally listened to fans about being tired of hush hush plans for PS5 and fact MS will announce their console in 7 weeks .they wanted to grab some attention. the interview is done in PS HQ .it doesnt get more offcial than this

Jim Ryan putting some work in, clearly.

I think Kodera was not very media savvy

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, dedicated hw eats up valuable and limited space...

True. likeI mentioned before, the PS4 Pro had a custom GPU with dedicated checkerboard hardware and RPM FP16. No wonder the console itself was huge compared to the XB O X even.

I kinda expect the PS5 to be huge too but they can overcome this later with PS5 slim when smaller engravures are available.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Cerny also mentioned dev kits are out,i think they expect Giantbomb/Kotaku/Eurogamer/etc. leaks soon and with this interview Sony gets to control the message.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I am very curious about the SSD solution and what it means for consumer upgradeable storage. Consumers will undoubtedly be allowed to add more storage but will there be more strict requirements? Many questions! Looking forward to all the speculation and theories.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now I want to know what wifi and LAN cables are they going to support in order to solve the low PS4 download and upload speeds. Not sure how it is on PS4 Pro, but in base PS4 it sucks.

Let's hope they bet in the highest end options in that regard in addition to upgrade their PSN servers cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.