• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
About Anaconda being more powerful than the PS5, do any insiders actually know the specs of both or they are saying that because MS is aiming to have the most powerful console? I wonder what will happen when specs are revealed and that turns out to not be true.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
About Anaconda being more powerful than the PS5, do any insiders actually know the specs of both or they are saying that because MS is aiming to have the most powerful console? I wonder what will happen when specs are revealed and that turns out to not be true.

I honestly don't think they know anything concrete. From the Brad Sams video all he says is: "MS is aiming", "MS is gunning to have", "both consoles will be very similar, the war will be on games and services"... to me at least that doesn't sound like someone is 100% sure MS will have a better console.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly don't think they know anything concrete. From the Brad Sams video all he says is: "MS is aiming", "MS is gunning to have", "both consoles will be very similar, the war will be on games and services"... to me at least that doesn't sound like someone is 100% sure MS will have a better console.
Yeah, Brad keeps going back and forth with that point.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Funny that he says they'll be very similar when albert said he thinks the designs are divergent compared to last time.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So why didn't they confirm a new PSVR2 Headset and emulation for all generations of PS games? Or they dropping infos by bursts?

This was just an small initial reveal to get some info out there and get people talking. They were very selective in what they did discuss to generate a buzz, but not give away their complete next gen plan. Our expectation should be for the next major official news dump to either come at PSX at the end of the year or at a PS Meeting early next year. Of course given how out of the blue this article was they could drop info whenever they feel it's strategically needed.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Reddit Leak - January: https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk

Lockhart:
CPU: Custom Zen 2 8C/16T
GPU: Custom Navi @ 4+ Teraflops
MEMORY: 12GB GDDR6
STORAGE: 1TB NVMe SSD
Raytracing and AI

PS5:
GPU: Custom Navi @ 8+ Teraflops
STORAGE: 1TB SSD

Anaconda:
GPU: Custom Navi @ 12+ Teraflops
MEMORY: 16GB GDDR6
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:
CPU: Custom Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.2GHz
GPU: Custom Navi @ 1475MHz
MEMORY: 48GB GDDR6 @ 675GBs
STORAGE: 4TB NVMe SSD

Already confirmed by insiders.
It seems u r upset and trying anything u can to get over Sony going officially first .insiders are not confirmation .otherwise ps5 is confirmed to be 14.6 TF since an insider confirmed it . That doesn't make sense .Sony confirmed SSD and raytracing first yesterday officially and MS will confirm it second in e3 .simple as that .why does it matter who is first or second ?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Is it possible, that anaconda uses a separate GPU and CPU? It would then definitely be way faster then a ps5.

So 300-400$ Lockhart, 500$ PS5 and 600$ Annaconda.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lockhart:
Raytracing and AI

PS5:

Anaconda:
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:

Insiders can be wrong, I don't that care until proven real.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

Lockhart:
Raytracing and AI

PS5:

Anaconda:
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:

Brad sams already debunked this rumor. I have posted it here many times.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-dd0ERdY8&t=2s
Here Brad Sams talks about the Lockhart 4TF and Anaconda 12TF rumor, jump to 9:30.

Short Summary
-Doesn't confirm ram or gpu specs, in fact is skeptical about the specs.
-Only confirms 1TB NVMe SSD.
-He says he knows as a fact Microsoft hasn't finalized specs for next xbox (jump to 15:26).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It seems u r upset and trying anything u can to get over Sony going officially first .insiders are not confirmation .otherwise ps5 is confirmed to be 14.6 TF since an insider confirmed it . That doesn't make sense .Sony confirmed SSD and raytracing first yesterday officially and MS will confirm it second in e3 .simple as that .why does it matter who is first or second ?

Upset with what? lmao
I just said the SSD talk isn't new and now ppl come over me saying im upset. Lol
My post about the leaks is just about the leaks.
The SG-17 quote ins't the same conversation.

Insiders can be wrong, I don't that care until proven real.

Yes.
I already said Brad Sams debunked the 4TF talk.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Lockhart:
Raytracing and AI

PS5:

Anaconda:
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:

People are still reposting this?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This was just an small initial reveal to get some info out there and get people talking. They were very selective in what they did discuss to generate a buzz, but not give away their complete next gen plan. Our expectation should be for the next major official news dump to either come at PSX at the end of the year or at a PS Meeting early next year. Of course given how out of the blue this article was they could drop info whenever they feel it's strategically needed.

Yeah. This is what I felt too. It's their strategical plans.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Funny that he says they'll be very similar when albert said he thinks the designs are divergent compared to last time.

Maybe they have different memory setups? But that wouldn't necessarily make one more powerful than the other right? We had that with PS4 and XBO at launch I don't think that was the reason PS4 was better, but because instead it had a faster GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or could MS be using a more advanced archicteture for CPU or GPU?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Upset with what? lmao
I just said the SSD talk isn't new and now ppl come over me saying im upset. Lol

Yes.
In response to someone saying that Sony undercut any MS announcement about next gen hardware having SSDs with the Cerny interview you posted this:
We know about Anaconda and NVMe SSD since January.
Nothing new here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they have different memory setups? But that wouldn't necessarily make one more powerful than the other right? We had that with PS4 and XBO at launch I don't think that was the reason PS4 was better, but because instead it had a faster GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or could MS be using a more advanced archicteture for CPU or GPU?

Looking forward to finding out.

Think there might be a chance that MS pushes the GPU a bit more at the expense of the CPU in comparison to Sony.

Only because Sony continue to focus on VR.

It would be very exciting if both boxes were drastically different

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Upset with what? lmao

Yes.
If u wanna go down that route , epsilon leak for ps5 mentioned 1tb SSD ,mid 2018. So again as for leaks are concerned ps5 SSD was leaked first . But non of what we r talking about matters or even makes sense .rumors are not official announcements.and it doesn't matter who does it first

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas

Don't you mean if that turns out to be true? Or are you predicting the PS5 will be as capable or more capable than the next Xbox?

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
That's a strong source. Holy shit the processing strength between the low end and high end devices is enormous. I sincerely hope Lockhart doesn't hold back the generation while developers code for it as the lowest common denominator and just scale up res/effects/frame rate for the key consoles.

Wouldnt coding for lockhart just be like targeting a lower end pc spec?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they have different memory setups? But that wouldn't necessarily make one more powerful than the other right? We had that with PS4 and XBO at launch I don't think that was the reason PS4 was better, but because instead it had a faster GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong?

The memory setup on XB1 was a huge part of its problems vs PS4. Perhaps a bigger factor than the GPU horsepower difference. Games with big real world resolution differences, larger than the gpu difference, were often down to the memory.

(Of course that doesn't make divergent approaches inherently a bad thing. It just was in that particular case.)

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking back one this heat sink patent from Sony:

heatsinkpatent.png

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2018216627A1.pdf

And then I think about that HBM rumor from the last few days... having the HBM stacks directly under the APU, and using this heat sink design for better cooling. Could be something there...

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Upset with what? lmao

Yes.
I'm confused. didn't digital foundry just recently say it could be true?

Oct 25, 2017
In response to someone saying that Sony undercut any MS announcement about next gen hardware having SSDs with the Cerny interview you posted this:
PS5 is much bigger deal than pro, it's next gen console after all.

MS is going to reveal next gen xbox at E3. And according to brad sams fast SSD in next xbox was going to be talked about at E3.

My theory is that, Sony revealed ps5 specs early and made ultra fast SSD a key advantage for their next gen system, just to undercut Microsoft's announcement of their next gen SSD powered XBOX at E3.
We know about Anaconda and NVMe SSD since January.
Nothing new here.
What part i'm upset?
You said i'm upset... With what?
Again... i just said the SSD talk isn't new. Even the Epsilon rumour, from almost one year ago.

If u wanna go down that route , epsilon leak for ps5 mentioned 1tb SSD ,mid 2018. So again as for leaks are concerned ps5 SSD was leaked first . But non of what we r talking about matters or even makes sense .rumors are not official announcements.and it doesn't matter who does it first

Yes...

I'm confused. didn't digital foundry just recently say it could be true?

Yes, i just post the leaks.
About the Lockhart 4TF...
Digital Foundry: Yes
Brad Sams: No
Just a rumour.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Since Phil Spencer became the leader at Xbox, it feels like they have been developing strategies towards a 2 sku launch and their hardware team since surface released is just incredible now

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Since Phil Spencer became the leader at Xbox, it feels like they have been developing strategies towards a 2 sku launch and their hardware team since surface released is just incredible now
Indeed. I feel like all three major gaming companies are firing on all cylinders, and their level of engagement with their communities is at an all-time high. It's a good time to be a fan of games.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Are you saying you're okay with the possibility of having sub 1080p games on lockhart in 3 to 4 years after the start of next-gen - if the rumor ends up being true, obviously?
If I m.understanding him correctly, He means the Lockhart if 4tf will become a 720 p machine in 2026 which is unaccptable now let alone in 6 years .what u said had nothing to do with next gen . So not sure what's happening
Who determines what is and what is not acceptable in a consumer targeted, market driven product? That maybe should have been a better way for me to frame the question.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
That's a strong source. Holy shit the processing strength between the low end and high end devices is enormous. I sincerely hope Lockhart doesn't hold back the generation while developers code for it as the lowest common denominator and just scale up res/effects/frame rate for the key consoles.

It's going to be just 1080p vs 4K

If CPU is the same and memory to the CPU is the same, there is going to be no difference.

But this excludes raytracing... As that is almost not as dependent on resolution. It's based on noise... 1/4th rays will have a much noisier image.

I have thought if MS is going the RT route like PlayStation, it would be CPU and RT core on both but that changed the pricing Dynamics a bit in my mind

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
God, that sounds awful.

I know some are a fan of the two SKU approach, but to me it sounds like a terrible idea at launch. I'm thinking MS's approach will backfire on them, because the base for which the lower end SKU model appeals to doesn't exist for next-gen consoles in a meaningful way until a bit into the generation.

I agree.

I'd like to point out that DF was also one of the original purveyors of a 14TF number, which was largely dismissed at the time.

I'm not sure where you were going with this one, anex?

You lost me entirely.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Lockhart:
Raytracing and AI

PS5:

Anaconda:
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:

This seems about as likely as Brexit happening before June...

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Since Phil Spencer became the leader at Xbox, it feels like they have been developing strategies working towards a 2 sku launch and their hardware team since surface released is just incredible now
Yeah, personally its looking like a great strategy. It feels like it will follow what we have today in the XB1 S and X. If the rumors hold true. Lockhart and Anaconda would be the same. If you want a cheaper budget box to get into next gen gaming and don't care for the highest bells and whistles. Lockhart is for you. If you are a power enthusiast gamer who wants the best of the best, beast console, Anaconda has your number. Both of them will have the same core assets that will change next gen gaming more than anything else: The same cpu, same special ssd/nvme storage solution.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Lockhart:
Raytracing and AI

PS5:

Anaconda:
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:

Sony isn't launching a 8TF console with a 12GB of RAM. That's barely a little bit more powerful than XBX.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Any news about the GCN limitation?
Still 64CU?
Anandtech disclosed that AMD stated they would need to redesign the front-end to get rid of the soft 64 CU limit. Navi is a new architecture, with "scalability" as its design goal, so I'd guess they would have overcome it if they felt they needed to.

Vega VII is a 64CU part in just 330mm^2 whereas Nvidia is rocking die over twice as big for Turing. Clearly they have room to grow, and reducing the power density would be great too.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I remember Phil saying that the next xbox was going to be the most powerful console. Implying that it was going to be more powerful than the ps5. I've been looking this morning and I can't find him saying that anywhere though. Does anyone have quotes along those lines or am I not remembering correctly?

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017

Lockhart:
Raytracing and AI

PS5:

Anaconda:
Raytracing and AI

Reddit Leak - April

Dante Devkit:

Those PS5 specs are not happening.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I remember Phil saying that the next xbox was going to be the most powerful console. Implying that it was going to be more powerful than the ps5. I've been looking this morning and I can't find him saying that anywhere though. Does anyone have quotes along those lines or am I not remembering correctly?
it was at the end of e3 conference in 2017 i think...
on the scorpio blowout e3 when he said that they've been engineering the next generation of xbox consoles iirc

edit: im going to look into it for the quote

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
It was said at least years e3. Something about being the benchmark for next gen. It was said pretty definitively so got lots of people speculating. Plus rumors of two sku launch further this rumor. And it sound pretty likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.