• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So many seem so fixated on which one will be more powerful and by how much.

For me, as long as both exceed 10TFLOPs and Lockheart isn't as rediculously low as 4 to 6 TFLOPS we'll be in for a great gen.
Agreed, except for me it doesn't need to be above the 10TF number. But I will appreciate any increase in peak performance too. I think both Sony and Microsoft are already trying to shift away the narrative for next gen from peak performance. I am in for that. As I said above my top priorities for next gen are a silent console and fast loading times by useage of SSD technology.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So there's a GTA 6 rumor on the front page, there was a leak that talked about GTA 6 coming out. I wonder if that leak is real, they got a couple of things right!

https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR/
It hasn't gotten anything wrong yet, but claiming a price is what gave everyone pause.

And the issue with all rumors of a 12+ TF GPU is that they sound like Navi 20 based, but the Ariel leak says Navi 10 LITE.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I've been told Assassin's Creed Black Flag did this but I haven't seen it for myself.
They had a special deal where four selected games (Black flag, Gods Among Us, BF4 and COD:Ghosts) could be converted to their PS4 version. You got a code in the physical game that let you go into PSN and buy the PS4 version for 10$.
I am still kinda shocked a ssd will be the norn next gen, and it looks like both are using a nvme equivalent. cant say I expected that.
256GB NVMe SSD is around 35$ and a 2TB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD is around 70$ in Newegg right now so a cache drive + 2TB storage is really feasible in a 2020 console and it will probably wouldn't cost much more than what Sony and Microsoft paid in 2013 for the 512GB HDD.

I suspect that the reason Sony has unveiled the PS5 the way it did a few days ago is that they are using PCIe 4.0 lanes for their SSD which makes it faster than any PC SSD today. But in a few months Rayzen 3000 will be out and with it PCIe 4.0 support so Sony won't be able to make that claim anymore. Just see how much hype they've generated by saying something like "faster than any PC SSD", I guess it was worth it because during PSX in November that fact wouldn't be true anymore.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
They had a special deal where four selected games (Black flag, Farcry 4, Gods Among Us and Watch Dogs) could be converted to their PS4 version. You got a code in the physical game that let you go into PSN and buy the PS4 version for 10$.

Destiny had a next-gen upgrade program, it was free but only for the digital edition. You had to "buy" the PS4/XB1 version on the store within a short-ish time window, and it was discounted to $0 if you owned the last gen version.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, I'm still going to think these particular leaks are controlled on some level. Then again I also have suspicions that sources like RuthenicCookie might have been a controlled leak to some degree as well, lol.

This is all controlled and part of PR spin/messaging, for example hmqgg has confirmed Xbox will also have really fast load times as well and the feature is due to GPU decompression. Did he know this before tuesday? if so why no leak beforehand? If he only found out after tuesday then there is your controlled message against Sony info. I'm sure that both Sony and MS are playing this game of one-upmanship.

Regards MS knowing for sure if they will have a more powerful console - it could be down to something as simple as the rrp cost they are shooting for. What if they are going for a £599 premium beast? They wouldn't really need to be concerned with what Sony are up to as they are pretty much assured the better performing box.

*EDIT* hmqgg leaked GPU decompression last December making my point moot.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
And the issue with all rumors of a 12+ TF GPU is that they sound like Navi 20 based, but the Ariel leak says Navi 10 LITE.

Navi 20 is the big GPU, which won't be making its way to console. Navi 10 is the next chip down.

There are 2x Navi 10 & in the leaked Navi chips & performance chart, from the latest episode of AdoredTV. I think it's worth looking at those and the highest Navi 12 to help gauge what Navi 10 might be.

3070, Navi 12, 40 CU, Perf = Vega 56, 120w
3080, Navi 10, 48 CU, Perf = Vega 64 + 10-15%, 150w,
Special Edition, Navi 10, 56 CU, Perf = 3080 + 15%, 180w

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJCOSXe_zc

Assuming this is true, that gives us two options for what Navi 10 lite could be: either the 3080 or between the 3080 and 3070. I think it's fair to be cautious and assume the latter as it has to go in a console.

It sounds like there's more Navi info to come in the next episode of AdoredTV, but it won't be good news.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Destiny had a next-gen upgrade program, it was free but only for the digital edition. You had to "buy" the PS4/XB1 version on the store within a short-ish time window, and it was discounted to $0 if you owned the last gen version.
And games like Flower also got you both versions when you've bought them.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's kinda crazy when you think that it's almost necessary that Xbox has more power even if it is negligible. I expect meltdowns if it's not. That says a lot about standing of the two platforms. Sony has never had to rely on that.
We have leaked "Planed" specs for the navi range of GPUs. As it stands there are only two Navi 10 GPUs that can possibly make their way into conoles. The RX2070/RX2080 both with 150 and 180TDP and a $200 and $250 MSRP respectively. This is what I suspected will happen and why I have been saying that there wouldn't be much between the two consoles next gen.

If they are both planning on having a $500 primary box, then I am almost certain they are both going to use the RX2080. And also believe they will both be clocking that as high as they can even if that means them using priceier cooling.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, except for me it doesn't need to be above the 10TF number. But I will appreciate any increase in peak performance too. I think both Sony and Microsoft are already trying to shift away the narrative for next gen from peak performance. I am in for that. As I said above my top priorities for next gen are a silent console and fast loading times by useage of SSD technology.

I think that next-gen will hinge a lot more on showing instead of telling compared to this gen. With clever rendering techniques like the one where some pixels for "static" parts are not re-calculated every time, maybe improved reconstruction tech instead of native res, maybe foveated rendering for VR, maybe RT, improved load times, draw distances, increased interactivity and physics, we will have things that will excel in demonstrations over tech numbers talk. Last gen going from megabytes of RAM to gigabytes, going from megaflops to teraflops etc. sounds more impressive than "only" more gigs and more flops. And with mid-gen refreshs muddying the size of the jump between GPU power - but without actually increasing the complexity of the games made - a jump from "6" to 10+ teraflops sounds underwhelming compared to the jumps we had before. Even though those games were still made to run on the 1.3 tflops Xbox/1.8 PS4 and even a 6 tflops baseline would be a almost x5 jump for to target. But showing a highly interactive (open) world with good performance and near instant loading would blow minds. Even with shitty quality youtube trailers.

However, for marketing bragging rights (and Google throwing around big numbers now) I really think both MS and Sony want to reach the >10 tflops number, even better if they can pass 12 and say that their number is TWICE (or more) the best of last gen.

Personally, my biggest wish for next-gen is vastly improved animation and collision detecting. I've seen GDC videos about animation and now I want it all. I want characters actually STEPPING on stuff. I want humans to vary in size in shooters and action games (and sports games, I guess, but I don't play those). I want guns not clipping halfway through some guys torso.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Navi 20 is the big GPU, which won't be making its way to console. Navi 10 is the next chip down.

There are 2x Navi 10 & in the leaked Navi chips & performance chart, from the latest episode of AdoredTV. I think it's worth looking at those and the highest Navi 12 to help gauge what Navi 10 might be.

3070, Navi 12, 40 CU, Perf = Vega 56, 120w
3080, Navi 10, 48 CU, Perf = Vega 64 + 10-15%, 150w,
Special Edition, Navi 10, 56 CU, Perf = 3080 + 15%, 180w

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJCOSXe_zc

Assuming this is true, that gives us two options for what Navi 10 lite could be: either the 3080 or between the 3080 and 3070. I think it's fair to be cautious and assume the latter as it has to go in a console.

It sounds like there's more Navi info to come in the next episode of AdoredTV, but it won't be good news.
I agree. I was merely pointing out the inconsistency of the rumors. Jim and the Ariel leak say one thing, while the 12+ TF and PS5 has Navi 20 because Navi 20 has RT say another thing.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on what has been revealed so far, I am very happy with Sony's approach/reveal. Good CPU + Navi + some form of nand/SSD and that's a great spec that I expect the first party devs to work wonders with.

I fully expect Microsoft to have a different emphasis to the way they are going to engineer their successor to Xbox One - not least as they will be taking into account how to build something that is also a good fit for datacentres to enable xCloud.

I have a sneaking suspicion that MS will be using Vega VII-type + RT + post-Navi/custom features rather than Navi and it will be a better compute GPU than Navi. This would just be a much better fit for datacentres (hence why Stadia went with Vega) and would allow them to have the higher TFLOP number.

I personally think if MS go with the two sku approach it may be risky - however I feel that it will be hugely researched internally beforehand by MS and they will know that this strategy will play well with their audience before running with it.

It looks like next-gen is going to be terrific regardless of which company's products you prefer.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think both price and release timing are being faked out by both camps. The PR moves have started in earnest now.

What Mark Cerny said in his interview about price really struck me. It just isn't something I would have expected him to even answer given his role and also the wording sounds very much like a pre-prepared PR response?

I think the one safe thing to say is there will be many twists to come.

One other thing that has been lost in the SSD revelation is RAM. Would it now be even more likely that 16GB is most likely given you can't get everything even if $500 comes to pass?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly finding very weird Cerny interview so early about the hw of the PS5. Now that rumors about Ms console (if true) are coming out more consistently ..I get why they get it. At least marketing wise
Its gives them the advantage of being first, officially. Everything Microsoft announces in the future will be compared to Sony now. MS announces Scarlet will have an SSD, "oh, like the PS5", MS announces support for raytracing, "oh like the PS5".

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Navi 20 and Navi 10 are desktop GPU chips. Whatever they are architecturally will inform on what we can expect to see in consoles but even then the consoles will be custom GPUs.

The Navi 10 Lite thing is so meaningless without any other info. that trying to guess anything on the basis of a codename is a mistake.

PS5 and Scarlet will likely take elements from Navi 20 and Navi 10 with some additional customisation not see in the upcoming desktop GPU parts.

So to me, trying to assess rumours on the basis of Navi 10 Lite, especially when we don't even know whether Ariel/Gonzalo is one of the next-gen consoles (or a ps4 refresh) is a little futile

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think both price and release timing are being faked out by both camps. The PR moves have started in earnest now.

What Mark Cerny said in his interview about price really struck me. It just isn't something I would have expected him to even answer given his role and also the wording sounds very much like a pre-prepared PR response?

One other thing that has been lost in the SSD revelation is RAM. Would it now be even more likely that 16GB is most likely given you can't get everything even if $500 comes to pass?
I think the biggest take away from Sony's tease is the SSD. Further more that its likely to be an NVMe PCIE Gen 4 drive. That has a theoretical peak bandwidth of 8GB/s. Real World bandwidth should be in the range of 6GB/s - 7GB/s. I don't think the implications of that has really settled in yet. It pretty much changes everything and how we should look at things.

it means we don't need as much as 24GB of RAM in the console. They can do perfectly ok with as little as 16GB of GDDR6 for games and have like 4GB of LPDDR4 for the OS. Being able to move 16GB worth of data to and from RAM to the SSD in no more than 3 secs at any given time is literally a game changer. To put this in perspective, all of what we have seen this gen on the PS4 all sits within 5GB/5.5GB of RAM. Taking that to16GB basically means you have like 3/4 times "more game" sitting in RAM. Be it code, textures or whatever.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
More memory is always better and the devs should be using 8K texture resolution for next-gen so that's got to fit somewhere. It's the one thing that immediately defines the generational gaps - how detailed the textures are.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

It was a carefully crafted statement.

If the console debuts at $499, people will say "Of course, they told us and acknowledged the feature set was cutting edge."

If it debuts at $399, people will say "Cerny said we would be compelled by the value for the features."
Navi 20 and Navi 10 are desktop GPU chips. Whatever they are architecturally will inform on what we can expect to see in consoles but even then the consoles will be custom GPUs.

The Navi 10 Lite thing is so meaningless without any other info. that trying to guess anything on the basis of a codename is a mistake.

PS5 and Scarlet will likely take elements from Navi 20 and Navi 10 with some additional customisation not see in the upcoming desktop GPU parts.

So to me, trying to assess rumours on the basis of Navi 10 Lite, especially when we don't even know whether Ariel/Gonzalo is one of the next-gen consoles (or a ps4 refresh) is a little futile

I think the fact that it has "Navi 10" right in the name is some sort of clue.

one

Nov 30, 2017
If MS wanted to 'leak' something to create a narrative that their console is equal if not better than PS5, they wouldn't do it via Bowden or any random website.

They'd do it via, you know - Windows Central/Thurrot/etc just as they've done throughout the past few months.
This. It says much that they are quiet now

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think the biggest take away from Sony's tease is the SSD. Further more that its likely to be an NVMe PCIE Gen 4 drive. That has a theoretical peak bandwidth of 8GB/s. Real World bandwidth should be in the range of 6GB/s - 7GB/s. I don't think the implications of that has really settled in yet. It pretty much changes everything and how we should look at things.

it means we don't need as much as 24GB of RAM in the console. They can do perfectly ok with as little as 16GB of GDDR6 for games and have like 4GB of LPDDR4 for the OS. Being able to move 16GB worth of data to and from RAM to the SSD in no more than 3 secs at any given time is literally a game changer. To put this in perspective, all of what we have seen this gen on the PS4 all sits within 5GB/5.5GB of RAM. Taking that to16GB basically means you have like 3/4 times "more game" sitting in RAM. Be it code, textures or whatever.

Cheers for that. Sounds great.

One nice thing with 16GB is it means only 8 RAM chips to start and a simpler mobo design which offsets the extra costs of the SSD system. In time if their memory supplier get 4GB chips out they can go with 4 chips on the mobo for a slim/cost reduced model.

It was a carefully crafted statement.

If the console debuts at $499, people will say "Of course, they told us and acknowledged the feature set was cutting edge."

If it debuts at $399, people will say "Cerny said we would be compelled by the value for the features."

I agree. It just didn't read like something Mark alone would come out with to me.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Cheers for that. Sounds great.

One nice thing with 16GB is it means only 8 RAM chips to start and a simpler mobo design which offsets the extra costs of the SSD system. In time if their memory supplier get 4GB chips out they can go with 4 chips on the mobo for a slim/cost reduced model.

They can't go below 8 chips if they have a 256-bit bus because the chips are 32-bits wide each.

I agree. It just didn't read like something Mark alone would come out with to me.

The loading times is their killer app. They can just show that in demos and convince people "this is next gen." Xbox will have the same to show off, but I think it should help spur adoption overall.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
They can't go below 8 chips if they have a 256-bit bus because the chips are 32-bits wide each.

The loading times is their killer app. They can just show that in demos and convince people "this is next gen." Xbox will have the same to show off, but I think it should help spur adoption overall.

I didn't know about the RAM limitation though I thought the consensus here was PS5 would have at least a 384-bit bus? I personally have always stuck to a it having a 256-bit bus but then again I've been more conservative with specs. The SSD thing has really re-calibrated my thinking now, though.

The loading will be such a nice thing as quick loading was something that I miss from the cartridge days. I just didn't even dream a SSD system (top end to boot) would be possible.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I didn't know about the RAM limitation though I thought the consensus here was PS5 would have at least a 384-bit bus? I personally have always stuck to a it having a 256-bit bus but then again I've been more conservative with specs. The SSD thing has really re-calibrated my thinking now, though.

The loading will be such a nice thing as quick loading was something that I miss from the cartridge days. I just didn't even dream a SSD system (top end to boot) would be possible.
384-bit bus would require at least 12 chips like the X has.

Hmmmmm

Well, "all in their power" is probably overstating it, as they could certainly go overboard and end up hurting more than helping.

But everything they can to try to come out on top while keeping the price (and their own losses) in check? Yeah, that's exactly what they are doing.

Which wasn't really the design philosophy of the XBO.

Last edited:

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
This is all controlled and part of PR spin/messaging, for example hmqgg has confirmed Xbox will also have really fast load times as well and the feature is due to GPU decompression. Did he know this before tuesday? if so why no leak beforehand? If he only found out after tuesday then there is your controlled message against Sony info. I'm sure that both Sony and MS are playing this game of one-upmanship.

Regards MS knowing for sure if they will have a more powerful console - it could be down to something as simple as the rrp cost they are shooting for. What if they are going for a £599 premium beast? They wouldn't really need to be concerned with what Sony are up to as they are pretty much assured the better performing box.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...sed-to-be-sold-off-by-now.75600/post-16364689

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
giphy.gif

Do you know if MS is doing a monolithic APU, chiplet, and if so, how many chiplets?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

I won't call it a limitation.

Each RAM chip has a 32bit bus. The "buses" stack so the more chips the higher your overall system bus. RAM kinda works like storage in a RAID config with data striped across all the chips. So the peak bus with they can have with 8 x 16Gb(2GB) is 256bit. In this case bandwidth will further be influenced by how "fast" the individual chips are. Depending on chip speed, 16GB of GDDR6 can net anywhere from 448 to 640GB/s of mem bandwidth.

Technically, nothing stops them from going with 18GB, 20GB or even 24GB..... well besides the added cost of the chips though. And chances are each 2GB chip can cost as much as $10 - $12.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I won't call it a limitation.

Each RAM chip has a 32bit bus. The "buses" stack so the more chips the higher your overall system bus. RAM kinda works like storage in a RAID config with data striped across all the chips. So the peak bus with they can have with 8 x 16Gb(2GB) is 256bit. In this case bandwidth will further be influenced by how "fast" the individual chips are. Depending on chip speed, 16GB of GDDR6 can net anywhere from 448 to 640GB/s of mem bandwidth.

Technically, nothing stops them from going with 18GB, 20GB or even 24GB..... well besides the added cost of the chips though. And chances are each 2GB chip can cost as much as $10 - $12.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I thought it interesting that RAM was the one spec point that wasn't discussed at all in the interview so I'm not ruling something special being pulled out of Sony's hat on it after the SSD reveal.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
There's enough smoke that I believe the rumors that Anaconda will be more powerful than PS5 (and even 3rd party devs should probably know now with dev kits becoming common), but if the difference is 20% or less GPU power I doubt people will be able to tell the difference. If it starts to get over that and closer to a XBO or PS4-style 40% difference, then that will be noticeable. However, in that case Cerny had to have designed a cheaper system, unlike the XBO, so PS5 would have a price advantage in that scenario.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I thought it interesting that RAM was the one spec point that wasn't discussed at all in the interview so I'm not ruling something special being pulled out of Sony's hat on it after the SSD reveal.
Yh, just keep in mind that its all a balancing act. Take for instance the XB1x APU is about 360mm2 where as the PS4pro APU was only like 325mm2. But with exception to 4 more CUs both chips are near identical..... the XB1x chip ended up being about 10% bigger to accommodate a larger memory controller or its 384bit bus as opposed to the 256bit bus controller in the PS4pro.

Little differences like that could mean a lot when it comes to the ost of a system. Eg, More RAM means more money on RAM, more money on the PCB (more traces), a larger chip which means fewer chips per wafer and even a higher likelihood of having a defective chip all resulting in a more a expensive chip.

Jan 21, 2019

Preach it my SSD bother/sister!

Hell, I don't even care about the rest of the specs. 8TF (I don't believe it) but yeah whatever. All I wanted from next gen was standard fucking SSDs in them but Sony is giving us NVMe PCIE 4.0. This is absolutely insane, nothing we have now can compare to that. They can basically move the entire RAM that a PS4 needs into RAM and out in mere seconds. This is much much much more that I was expecting. This will be an absolute game changer. This is the 8GB of GDDR5 of this generation and even more and I hope MS has the same thing so all devs can take advantage of this to the fullest.

Like holy hell, you can fill up 16GB of RAM in 3 seconds. 24GB in 4 seconds. This is absolutely insane. If Bethesda does not fuck up their next game, you will be able to fast travel in a second. Cyberpunk the same.

Imagine fast travel as fast as NES screen transition from the first Zelda but with insane detail and graphics. Some smaller games like Sekiro 2 will probably add a fade to black just because it would be too jarringly fast. To have the character go from death to alive in less than a second.

I know I am hyping this, but these are the images in my head and I am just talking about loading. Imagine next gen asset streaming in open world games.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was honestly finding very weird Cerny interview so early about the hw of the PS5. Now that rumors about Ms console (if true) are coming out more consistently ..I get why they get it. At least marketing wise

I'm sorry, i can't help but laugh at this. Why did it take rumours about the next XB ,vs an official story about PS5, to get what Sony did was actually very smart?

Seems to me people didn't like Sony getting the drop on next gen first with all the attention.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, i can't help but laugh at this. Why did it take rumours about the next XB ,vs an official story about PS5, to get what Sony did was actually very smart?

Seems to me people didn't like Sony getting the drop on next gen first with all the attention.
Yea non PS fans became extremely upset for some weird reason after that interview .like chill , they will announce the same soon enough.iys not a race to get angry why Sony did it first .

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what people are supposed to be mad at.
Nothing. If anything it reinforced the rumors about Xbox having raytracing support and a fast SSD. Those things being standard on consoles are great news for everyone. Combine that with Zen 2 and I am very happy with the way that future platforms are shaping up.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This.. this sounds so insane to me. I cant wait. and the thought of seeing GTA 6 and Horizon 2 use this tech.. mind blown.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Preach it my SSD bother/sister!

Hell, I don't even care about the rest of the specs. 8TF (I don't believe it) but yeah whatever. All I wanted from next gen was standard fucking SSDs in them but Sony is giving us NVMe PCIE 4.0. This is absolutely insane, nothing we have now can compare to that. They can basically move the entire RAM that a PS4 needs into RAM and out in mere seconds. This is much much much more that I was expecting. This will be an absolute game changer. This is the 8GB of GDDR5 of this generation and even more and I hope MS has the same thing so all devs can take advantage of this to the fullest.

Like holy hell, you can fill up 16GB of RAM in 3 seconds. 24GB in 4 seconds. This is absolutely insane. If Bethesda does not fuck up their next game, you will be able to fast travel in a second. Cyberpunk the same.

Imagine fast travel as fast as NES screen transition from the first Zelda but with insane detail and graphics. Some smaller games like Sekiro 2 will probably add a fade to black just because it would be too jarringly fast. To have the character go from death to alive in less than a second.

I know I am hyping this, but these are the images in my head and I am just talking about loading. Imagine next gen asset streaming in open world games.
Not hyping it enough. Some people sem transfixed on TFs but I care more about stuff like this and the CPU cause those are the things that will really impact what kinda games we get.

Fast travel? You aren't thinking big enough lol.... imagine the next GOW, there can be a super throw that basically allows you throw the Axe to some other far off point in the map then rather than summon it back you can teleport to its location. Tech like this will make stuff like that possible.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fast travel? You aren't thinking big enough lol.... imagine the next GOW, there can be a super throw that basically allows you throw the Axe to some other far off point in the map then rather than summon it back you can teleport to its location. Tech like this will make stuff like that possible.

I like the sound of that, wild shit right there! I hope MS/Sony have cool demos for it.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. If anything it reinforced the rumors about Xbox having raytracing support and a fast SSD. Those things being standard on consoles are great news for everyone. Combine that with Zen 2 and I am very happy with the way that future platforms are shaping up.
What I dont get about this is, haven't rumors regarding NextBox stated it will have an SSD rather than a mechanical drive? Haven't Anaconda rumors said the dev kits have a 2TB SSD in them, implying the retail version may have a 1TB SSD.
Have there been rumors of MS having a similar setup to what Cerny spoke of?

The thing thats weird to me is the changing of a HDD. Sony allowed this since PS3. MS allowed external drives first.

If all Cerny spoke of is a normal esque SSD the PS5 ships with (like Anaconda rumors have ), how would they let you change the SSD?
It could also make things like flying vehicles more practical. It's very exciting for open world games on top of the loading benefits.
Wow, I never thought of that!
Crazy. Exciting times!

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
What I dont get about this is, haven't rumors regarding NextBox stated it will have an SSD rather than a mechanical drive? Haven't Anaconda rumors said the dev kits have a 2TB SSD in them, implying the retail version may have a 1TB SSD.
Have there been rumors of MS having a similar setup to what Cerny spoke of?

The thing thats weird to me is the changing of a HDD. Sony allowed this since PS3. MS allowed external drives first.

If all Cerny spoke of is a normal esque SSD the PS5 ships with (like Anaconda rumors have ), how would they let you change the SSD?
A couple ways. Allowing external drives to be used to swap games in and out for long term storage, just making sure it's on the SSD first before you can play. It could also just be a small SSD embedded in the consoles with a separate drive for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.