• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I wasnt following this back then...weren't insiders last gen positive that Xbox would be more powerful? And I think it was Jez Corden or Brad Sams who tweeted they were 99% sure the xbox 1x would not have a Jaguar, and that was real close to release. Not to mention rumors Sony was going to also do the no used games things. To be clear, I think Xbox will be more powerful but not massively, considering same price

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Part of me thinks that if Anaconda is more expensive due to the power, that MS should just bundle Game Pass/Gold in the box for 6/12 months. No matter how much a console is, we always get those breakdowns of additional costs to rationalize why another system is better. The old +electricty +4k TV +Rent for house etc.

MS has a truly solid tech team now, as shown by the Surface products and the 1X. At least we know Anaconda will look damn slick! haha.

That won't happen because you're essentially giving Halo Infinite for free to all next gen adopters.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt following this back then...weren't insiders last gen positive that Xbox would be more powerful? And I think it was Jez Corden or Brad Sams who tweeted they were 99% sure the xbox 1x would not have a Jaguar, and that was real close to release. Not to mention rumors Sony was going to also do the no used games things. To be clear, I think Xbox will be more powerful but not massively, considering same price
I remember Arthur Gies posting a lot on the old place about how the Xbox One was a beast with a ton of "special sauce" and that no one even knew what Sony was doing.

I believe it was Jez Corden that was 99% sure that the X wouldn't use Jaguar.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks that if Anaconda is more expensive due to the power, that MS should just bundle Game Pass/Gold in the box for 6/12 months. No matter how much a console is, we always get those breakdowns of additional costs to rationalize why another system is better. The old +electricty +4k TV +Rent for house etc.

MS has a truly solid tech team now, as shown by the Surface products and the 1X. At least we know Anaconda will look damn slick! haha.

I think it's much more likely that they'll subsidize hardware so they can make it up with Game Pass/Live. Those are pure profit.

Oct 25, 2017
it means we don't need as much as 24GB of RAM in the console. They can do perfectly ok with as little as 16GB of GDDR6 for games and have like 4GB of LPDDR4 for the OS. Being able to move 16GB worth of data to and from RAM to the SSD in no more than 3 secs at any given time is literally a game changer.

Interesting you could do far more streaming on the fly with a fast SSD drive. Indeed it is a gamechange.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
New video from everyone's favorite non-biased source

Xbox info:
Halo Infinite budget is close to $500M
Halo Infinite video at E3, may open show
Expects MS to reveal "soft" specs at E3 similar to PS5 Wired reveal
He suggests Anaconda could be more powerful if MS requested AMD guarantee it without divulging Sony specs (this one seems dubious)
Current gen Xbox S/SAD will get internals refresh this Fall

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Xbox info:
He suggests Anaconda could be more powerful if MS requested AMD guarantee it without divulging Sony specs (this one seems dubious)

Lol, what if Sony requested the PS5 to be more powerful too?...

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Xbox info:

The anaconda point, it's just sad a journalist would even suggest something like that. Couldn't every competitor just go to a shared a vendor (whatever the consumer electronic) and say "give us better than everyone else"?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The anaconda point, it's just sad a journalist would even suggest something like that. Couldn't every competitor just go to a shared a vendor (whatever the consumer electronic) and say "give us better than everyone else"?
While it does sound improbable, if they gave them a launch date and money, or course they could. Is PS5 launched early in the year and MS wants a Nov launch, there is certainly tech that might be available later. Again, it's all pretty crazy but not impossible.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Either somebody fed him silly info or I don't understand how negotiations work. Probably a bit of both tbh.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
While it does sound improbable, if they gave them a launch date and money, or course they could. Is PS5 launched early in the year and MS wants a Nov launch, there is certainly tech that might be available later. Again, it's all pretty crazy but not impossible.

That's different. If youre launching later and have more recent tech available to you, of course you would do that. But what he's actually saying is "whatever Sony is doing make ours better, *wink wink* "

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Xbox info:

Ahahahahhahaa. How a YouTuber imagines business is done.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
They would have to pay up a lot of money for this I'd think. I mean, it's not like they can't afford it though and it is basically going to define their next gen and how they are perceived over the next ~7 years. I can see it happening but the real game changer here will be pricing. If they can make a console which is noticeably more powerful (let's say PRO vs X) and price it within $50 of the PS5 I think they'll do very well especially now that Youtubers such as Digital Foundry are so well known with their graphics comparisons. In fact, I'd even go as far to say they are a contributing factor to why the Xbox One was perceived so terribly. Their resolution comparisons became headline news for a time.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's different. If youre launching later and have more recent tech available to you, of course you would do that. But what he's actually saying is "whatever Sony is doing make ours better, *wink wink* "
Haha well then, that is a little more crazy. That's also not to say that crazy deals have not been made but this kind of deal would be super shady.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Xbox info:

Seems Dubious? It's a wet dream. Not trying to disrespect the guy he must know his shit about MS but having watched his latest videos he certainly doesn't know jack shit about sony.

Wasn't he the one that started the rumor of "MS console is more powerfu"?

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Either somebody fed him silly info or I don't understand how negotiations work. Probably a bit of both tbh.
Another way to put this. Would AMD who relys on their semi custom business fuck over one of their biggest customers? Think about how stupid that is. Unless MS came to them with a bigger budget, which is possible and even likely. But that not what he said. And if that's what he was told, he either twisted it or butchered the message

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
No reputable,serious company would treat its partners/customers like that.

I know, I thought the ridiculousness of the idea that Microsoft just asked AMD for whatever Sony ordered but better would have been a clear joke. But I guess that's essentially what this rumor is.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
But it's really not how OEM's and suppliers work together. When AMD and MS sit down to discuss things I can almost guarantee that AMD is not going to say a peep or divulging anything that goes on down the hall where Sony and AMD are having a talk.

Oct 25, 2017

I can't remember exactly but with this current situation, not calling the folks inaccurate, but it's clear as day that these are controlled leaks by MS.

And controlled leaks will always be presented in the best light possible.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like there are quite a few posters who have experience in making multi-million dollar chip contracts. That's great news for me! Can someone explain why it's nonsense to think that Microsoft would go to AMD and tell them they will pay more for a better chip than what Sony is getting?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So this guy seems to know whats hes talking about. This is what his sources have given him,.

LhqKmZ6.jpg

I think we can expect RX 3070 levels of performance. Anything more than that and its just not going to fit the TDP budget of a console which needs to power the HDD (or SSD now), the UHD and other components.

Vega 56 is an 8 tflops GPU which means Team 8tflops has been resurrected. The Vega 56 had a TDP of 210 so going to 7nm, it seems like they have been able to get a significant reduction in power consumption, but its clearly not enough to get Vega 64 (12 tflops) level of performance into next gen consoles. Disappointing.
Going back to this table, I think we should expect somewhere between Navi 10 and Navi 10 "SE" on the highest end console with performance landing between RTX 2070 and RTX 2080.

Microsoft managed to get a card with a similar TDP (150-180W) into a console that draws 175W max at the wall with the X, so I don't think that's an out of line expectation at all.

This also dispels the notion of a "double SP" CU now that we have CU counts.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like there are quite a few posters who have experience in making multi-million dollar chip contracts. That's great news for me! Can someone explain why it's nonsense to think that Microsoft would go to AMD and tell them they will pay more for a better chip than what Sony is getting?

Because how would MS know what chip Sony is getting unless AMD tells them, thereby opening them to massive liability?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Going back to this table, I think we should expect somewhere between Navi 10 and Navi 10 "SE" on the highest end console with performance landing between RTX 2070 and RTX 2080.

Microsoft managed to get a card with a similar TDP (150-180W) into a console that draws 175W max at the wall with the X, so I don't think that's an out of line expectation at all.

This also dispels the notion of a "double SP" CU now that we have CU counts.

I still wonder what that "Navi 10 lite" thing is...!

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
If you look at it as a straight up controlled leak. What does it say about Microsoft's confidence in the box that such a stupid rumour has to be disseminated? Maybe the difference isn't as big as they thought. Thy may have been planning $500 v. $400 and although they're still confident it's not a world of difference anymore

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

IBM got into enough hot water by letting Microsoft use the PPC core they customized for the Cell along with Sony. Iirc it was the exact same core, and (again, iirc) there was an understanding it could be used elsewhere because Sony didn't care about that part, they just didn't expect it to wind up in a competing console. I'm sure the contracts with AMD were gone over very carefully after that.

AMD would definitely lose Sony as a customer and probably lose a gigantic lawsuit, and hurt their reputation as a semi-custom APU developer. Just to make Xbox fans happy? It's not like they'll lose MS as a customer if they don't do it.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
IBM got into enough hot water by letting Microsoft use the PPC core they customized for the Cell along with Sony. Iirc it was the exact same core, and (again, iirc) there was an understanding it could be used elsewhere because Sony didn't care about that part, they just didn't expect it to wind up in a competing console. I'm sure the contracts with AMD were gone over very carefully after that.

AMD would definitely lose Sony as a customer and probably lose a gigantic lawsuit, and hurt their reputation as a semi-custom APU developer. Just to make Xbox fans happy? It's not like they'll lose MS as a customer if they don't do it.

And AMD relies on their semi custom business, even if everything else you listed was enough of a ditractor already

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
And again, this is not limited to AMD as a supplier. It's the exact same thing in every industry with every supplier. It is not rocket science.

When GM goes to Bosch asking for a new generator to use in their next car. Bosch is 100% not going to tell GM what Toyota recently bought off them.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I guess I don't understand how any of this works. In fact, I know I don't understand. If I go to a car dealership and see my neighbor buying a Ford Mustang. I could go over to salesman and say, "Hey, I want a Mustang too but I want it to be faster than what my neighbor is buying. Tell me the cost, I'll pay it." I probably sound like an idiot lol but on a very basic level is that not how purchasing chips from AMD could work out between Microsoft and Sony?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because how would MS know what chip Sony is getting unless AMD tells them, thereby opening them to massive liability?
All of this reminded me of the clusterfuck surrounding the development of the Cell chip and MS' CPU, lol. IBM pretty much took the cell chip, did some mods and gave it to MS because they made an offer they can't refuse.

https://venturebeat.com/2009/02/06/...icles-the-sony-microsoft-ibm-love-triangle/2/

I'm sure this won't happen anymore, but what a piece of history nontheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.