• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
All of this reminded me of the clusterfuck surrounding the development of the Cell chip and MS' CPU, lol. IBM pretty much took the cell chip, did some mods and gave it to MS because they made an offer they can't refuse.

https://venturebeat.com/2009/02/06/...icles-the-sony-microsoft-ibm-love-triangle/2/

I'm sure this won't happen anymore, but what a piece of history nontheless.

Cell didn't have anything to do with Xenon. Xenon was basically 3 PPC5 chips glued together. Cell used one, but for different purposes.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I don't understand how any of this works. In fact, I know I don't understand. If I go to a car dealership and see my neighbor buying a Ford Mustang. I could go over to salesman and say, "Hey, I want a Mustang too but I want it to be faster than what my neighbor is buying. Tell me the cost, I'll pay it." I probably sound like an idiot lol but on a very basic level is that not how purchasing chips from AMD could work out between Microsoft and Sony?

But Microsoft doesn't see anything. Because Sony has a contract which says that AMD needs to keep this secret.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Another way to put this. Would AMD who relys on their semi custom business fuck over one of their biggest customers? Think about how stupid that is. Unless MS came to them with a bigger budget, which is possible and even likely. But that not what he said. And if that's what he was told, he either twisted it or butchered the message

The whole thing is dubious but how exactly would Sony be getting fucked over? They'd still be getting exactly what they asked for lol

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess I don't understand how any of this works. In fact, I know I don't understand. If I go to a car dealership and see my neighbor buying a Ford Mustang. I could go over to salesman and say, "Hey, I want a Mustang too but I want it to be faster than what my neighbor is buying. Tell me the cost, I'll pay it." I probably sound like an idiot lol but on a very basic level is that not how purchasing chips from AMD could work out between Microsoft and Sony?

AMD will make/help you customize a chip with the features or goals you have in mind. They're not going to say "here have this chip it's a bit more powerful than what sony is going to use", it's illegal since all information is confidential.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AMD will make/help you customize a chip with the features or goals you have in mind. They're not going to say "here have this chip it's a bit more powerful than what sony is going to use", it's illegal since all information is confidential.

Ok so it's possible the ps5 and anaconda could both have an AMD 8 core 7nm zen 2 based chip but each chip could be quite different based on the amount of custom features and clock speed Sony and Microsoft request AMD to build into the chip. Those custom features and clock speeds will not be discussed by AMD to each other's competitor. The only way Microsoft could guarantee that they have a better chip from AMD is if they somehow get inside info of what Sony is planning for the ps5 then build something better.

Is that basically correct?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The whole thing is dubious but how exactly would Sony be getting fucked over? They'd still be getting exactly what they asked for lol

Part of the contract is confidentiality. How is it confidentiality if a competitor can just role in and say give me better than what they asked for? NO ONE does business like this. And IBM got fucked for doing it once

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Fast travel? You aren't thinking big enough lol.... imagine the next GOW, there can be a super throw that basically allows you throw the Axe to some other far off point in the map then rather than summon it back you can teleport to its location. Tech like this will make stuff like that possible.

Could you imagine a Flash game that lets you travel around a city in super speed with zero load times, insane.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so it's possible the ps5 and anaconda could both have an AMD 8 core 7nm zen 2 based chip but each chip could be quite different based on the amount of custom features and clock speed Sony and Microsoft request AMD to build into the chip. Those custom features and clock speeds will not be discussed by AMD to each other's competitor. The only way Microsoft could guarantee that they have a better chip from AMD is if they somehow get inside info of what Sony is planning for the ps5 then build something better.

That's the gist of it, yeah. Except for the last part because that would never happen. The only way to ensure a more powerful product is to build something so expensive that no sane competitor would match it. Otherwise you're just doing the best you can with whatever budget you have.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It's frankly beyond parody...and call me skeptical about that $500 million Halo budget.

We had a thread about that EXACT topic locked. I'm taking anything Sams says with a metric ton of salt. Everything he said would fit perfectly in a push square article about ps5, just replace Halo with horizon 2

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the contract is confidentiality. How is it confidentiality if a competitor can just role in and say give me better than what they asked for? NO ONE does business like this. And IBM got fucked for doing it once

Agreed. That still isn't Sony getting fucked over. They would still be getting exactly what they ordered. But we won't agree so let's just drop this hypothetical pointless semantics discussion.

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok so it's possible the ps5 and anaconda could both have an AMD 8 core 7nm zen 2 based chip but each chip could be quite different based on the amount of custom features and clock speed Sony and Microsoft request AMD to build into the chip. Those custom features and clock speeds will not be discussed by AMD to each other's competitor. The only way Microsoft could guarantee that they have a better chip from AMD is if they someone get inside info of what Sony is planning for the ps5 then build something better.

Yes, something like that. One of the rumor said that both will be using zen2 and Navi. You can also see that in current gen of consoles both use the same architectures in CPU and GPU but, they're different at the same time, one might have higher clocks and the other might have a better GPU, etc etc.

MS could guarantee a better chip by either waiting to release a couple of months later (example: xbox one x vs PS4 PRO) or spending more money, but that will also raise the cost of production of the console.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the gist of it, yeah. Except for the last part because that would never happen. The only way to ensure a more powerful product is to build something so expensive that no sane competitor would match it. Otherwise you're just doing the best you can with whatever budget you have.

Interesting. Well, that completely changes my mindset.

Yes, something like that. One of the rumor said that both will be using zen2 and Navi. You can also see that in current gen of consoles both use the same architectures in CPU and GPU but, they're different at the same time, one might have higher clocks and the other might have a better GPU, etc etc.

MS could guarantee a better chip by either waiting to release a couple of months later (example: xbox one x vs PS4 PRO) or spending more money, but that will also raise the cost of production of the console.

How would it be possible to guarantee a better chip simply by spending more money if they don't know what Sony is doing and AMD won't tell them specifics?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

My guess eh, but hardly this time will be significant difference in the power, even with an higher price. The only way, again, is release the hardware a year later but even for example with a price tag difference between 499 vs 599 bucks, it won't changes great things in terms of global performance. My opinion.

Feb 10, 2018
How is this even supposed to work...?

I wonder what the legal requirements are for AMD if MS asks "we want the most powerful GPU + CPU in a console on the market for the whole of 2020 and after, what will that take?"

I would imagine there is some nda amd have to obide by, can they also directly lie to ms?

Also I would of thought Sony + ms Cross paths with a lot of the same vendors, how many console PSU manufacturers can there be, if MS found out the power requirements of the PS5 it would give them a good idea what is possible power wise.
MS will know navis line up, and they will know which chip is possible in a sub 200watt box.

So with this knowledge and if the Navi rumours are true ms will assume Sony will be using the Navi 10 variant.

Once MS come to this conclusion there task will be to clock as high as possible (using Vapour chamber + Hovis method) therefore PS5 can't be more powerful if its using the same chip.

Sony could do the same but historically they have not gone for really high clocks and adding a fancy cooling method will add cost.

So the way I see it, is they will be either be extremely close (using a Similar Vapour chamber + high clocks) or ms will be more powerful and Sony will use there blower fan system and more conservative clocks.

Sony have taken this approach to there last 2 systems, I don't see why they would change things now.

The original PS4 historicaly was actually quite Conservative power wise.
It was a balance between price and power and size.

It's a tough call, its logical to think they will follow a similar philosophy but it's also logical to think that they are a bit more convident this time round and this gen has shown that power is still very much on the minds of gamers, the question is which area is more important to them, do they play the power game and launch at a higher rrp or do they have a strong value proposition right out the gate with $399.

Given sony's history and the interviews I've watched of shu, Andrew House, layden and cerny I think they will go with $399 again.
They know power is important, but I think strong value and the games are there main pillers.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

How would it be possible to guarantee a better chip simply by spending more money if they don't know what Sony is doing and AMD won't tell them specifics?

MS can make some assumptions here

1) They know exactly the economics Sony is dealing with in regards to what AMD can offer them
2) they can assume Sony is taking a one SKU approach which means their solution must be able to ramp to high volume (no chip binning, they can't tolerate low yield and still supply the market)
3) assuming they have hard MSRP and loss per console thresholds. Sony's game division is more important to their parent company's profit than Xbox is to theirs

Unless Sony gets really creative, MS knows exactly what kind of box they're building.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder what the legal requirements are for AMD if MS asks "we want the most powerful GPU + CPU in a console on the market for the whole of 2020 and after, what will that take?"

I would imagine there is some nda amd have to obide by, can they also directly lie to ms?

Also I would of thought Sony + ms Cross paths with a lot of the same vendors, how many console PSU manufacturers can there be, if MS found out the power requirements of the PS5 it would give them a good idea what is possible power wise.
MS will know navis line up, and they will know which chip is possible in a sub 200watt box.

So with this knowledge and if the Navi rumours are true ms will assume Sony will be using the Navi 10 variant.

Once MS come to this conclusion there task will be to clock as high as possible (using Vapour chamber + Hovis method) therefore PS5 can't be more powerful if its using the same chip.

Sony could do the same but historically they have not gone for really high clocks and adding a fancy cooling method will add cost.

So the way I see it, is they will be either be extremely close (using a Similar Vapour chamber + high clocks) or ms will be more powerful and Sony will use there blower fan system and more conservative clocks.

Sony have taken this approach to there last 2 systems, I don't see why they would change things now.

The original PS4 historicaly was actually quite Conservative power wise.
It was a balance between price and power and size.

It's a tough call, its logical to think they will follow a similar philosophy but it's also logical to think that they are a bit more convident this time round and this gen has shown that power is still very much on the minds of gamers, the question is which area is more important to them, do they play the power game and launch at a higher rrp or do they have a strong value proposition right out the gate with $399.

Given sony's history and the interviews I've watched of shu, Andrew House, layden and cerny I think they will go with $399 again.
They know power is important, but I think strong value and the games are there main pillers.
If I'm not wrong the same Sony has claimed lately this time can bet to have more loses thanks to the psn revenues. So personally I wouldnt be surprise if in the end they will offer the best sku possible even at lower price (with even an higher clock than expected to their past standard).

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Because they have budgets but I believe MS has more money to spend. So they could try to purchase a better (or more exotic) architecture, or maybe a faster CPU/GPU from the product line of AMD. They still wouldn't know what sony is doing (unless there's a leak obviously) but that would be a way to guarantee that you'll have a better product.

But like I said previously, that would raise the cost of production of the console and possibly the price for the final customer (us gamers), unless MS is willing to bite the bullet and sell at a bigger loss making the console accessible for everyone.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
My guess eh, but hardly this time will be significant difference in the power, even with an higher price. The only way, again, is release the hardware a year later but even for example with a price tag difference between 499 vs 599 bucks, it won't changes great things in terms of global performance. My opinion.

I don't think MS is looking for global domination. I think they want to do better than last gen, pull in some new subs and release a console more powerful than PS5. None of that sounds impossible.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Would AMD be offering each company the same prices though? Considering Sony is at least currently set to buy considerably more chips?

This is complete speculation from me, but I believe their cost structure is likely as follows

Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE): Design and validation services
Recurring costs: wafer cost - more or less paid directly by MS/Sony to TSMC/Samsung/ASE etc.
Royalty costs: fixed cost per unit sold.

I doubt there is a volume contingency. Perhaps a minimum to guarantee a floor on the royalties.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
This is complete speculation from me, but I believe their cost structure is likely as follows

Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE): Design and validation services
Recurring costs: wafer cost - more or less paid directly by MS/Sony to TSMC/Samsung/ASE etc.
Royalty costs: fixed cost per unit sold.

I doubt there is a volume contingency. Perhaps a minimum to guarantee a floor on the royalties.

Fair. I was assuming it would be a case of separate negotiations, with Sony as the current sales leader being in a better bargaining position with more leverage.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fair. I was assuming it would be a case of separate negotiations, with Sony as the current sales leader being in a better bargaining position with more leverage.
Well, nextgen starts fresh, so all that market leader talk does not mean anything if someone else puts up more money. All they can put out is sales projections and go from there.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Who else is Sony going to buy from?

Besides, AMD stands to benefit from a halo effect. Consoles doing well means more PC games optimized to their hardware, and enthusiast PC builders are a lucrative if small bunch.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think AMD would just casually violate their business contracts with a high profile, valuable customer? I've seen people repeatedly infer how AMD can "tip off" Sony or MS about the other's specs. I'm no business or legal expert, but even I can see how that would be disastrous to AMD when--not if--that comes out. Firstly, AMD would be sued to oblivion for violation of whatever contracts they signed with MS and/or Sony. Secondly, they would lose at least one highly valuable business partner and show other current and potential business partners that they cannot be trusted with sensitive information. It's a dumb, disastrous business move with no upsides no matter how you slice it. Yet some people are seriously thinking that that is a possibility.

Last edited:

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
Why do people think AMD would just casually violate their business contracts with a high profile, valuable customer? I've seen people repeatedly infer how AMD can "tip off" Sony or MS about the other's specs. I'm no business or legal expert, but even I can see how that would be disastrous to AMD when--not if--that comes out. Firstly, AMD would be sued to oblivion for violation of whatever contracts they signed with MS and/or Sony. Secondly, they would lose at least one highly valuable business partner and show other current and potential business partners that they cannot be trusted with sensitive information. It's a dumb, disastrous business move no matter how you slice it. Yet some people are seriously thinking that that is a possibility.

I don't get this thinking either but like you I am no expert in this field.

But wait, maybe AMD is being a double spy.

Maybe AMD winked at Xbox and said ok yours will be faster but then went back to Sony and said "They fell for it, yours will in fact be faster."

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Well, nextgen starts fresh, so all that market leader talk does not mean anything if someone else puts up more money. All they can put out is sales projections and go from there.

With BC helping ecosystem retention and just the general proven sales track record, I don't see why Sony couldn't at least have made an argument that they would be on track to sell at least 100 million PS5s, and try to increase their bulk discount based on that. But that's aiming there is a bulk discount to be had.

Who else is Sony going to buy from?

Besides, AMD stands to benefit from a halo effect. Consoles doing well means more PC games optimized to their hardware, and enthusiast PC builders are a lucrative if small bunch.

I figured Sony could potentially also go with Nvidia, or Intel. I don't necessarily think they would, but this is less about what they would do and more about what they could directly or indirectly convince AMD of at the negotiating table. But I'm probably off the mark.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
With BC helping ecosystem retention and just the general proven sales track record, I don't see why Sony couldn't at least have made an argument that they would be on track to sell at least 100 million PS5s, and try to increase their bulk discount based on that. But that's aiming there is a bulk discount to be had.

I figured Sony could potentially also go with Nvidia, or Intel. I don't necessarily think they would, but this is less about what they would do and more about what they could directly or indirectly convince AMD of at the negotiating table. But I'm probably off the mark.
They could, but Nvidia is fat off of high margin PC products, and they can't offer an all-in-one package solution like AMD can. Intel may be willing to play ball, but they actually have no excess fab capacity of their own to offer right now, and when they do get capacity, they probably view it as more crucial to maintain their PC and server foothold with the new threats from AMD.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think there's still some bad blood after Nvidia fucked them over with the PS3 GPU.

Feb 10, 2018
If I'm not wrong the same Sony has claimed lately this time can bet to have more loses thanks to the psn revenues. So personally I wouldnt be surprise if in the end they will offer the best sku possible even at lower price (with even an higher clock than expected to their past standard).

Yes it could definitely happen.

But even having bigger investment I doubt either will go higher then Navi 10 special edition which will limit how powerful they can go.

LhqKmZ6_d.jpg

One thing to note is that we already know PS5 is going to have a 8 core 7nm Zen2, so we already know that the hardware is not doing something unexpected regarding CPU.
Also Sony saying they can invest more thanks to psn subs, invest more compared to what? Is it going to a be bigger investment then they did for PS4?

Could Somone post a link or the graph itself of sony's past and future spending on Playstation, thanks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Next gen console CPU:
Still an open question for me is if the CPU will be 8C/8T or 8C/16T (SMT enabled) for the PS5. From the interview it is not entirely clear what they plan there.

Next gen console GPU:
Let's play the clock speed guessing game. The lower they are the better the NAVI architecture is compared to VEGA and POLARIS.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018
Going back to this table, I think we should expect somewhere between Navi 10 and Navi 10 "SE" on the highest end console with performance landing between RTX 2070 and RTX 2080.

Microsoft managed to get a card with a similar TDP (150-180W) into a console that draws 175W max at the wall with the X, so I don't think that's an out of line expectation at all.
This also dispels the notion of a "double SP" CU now that we have CU counts.
I agree.
I think "double SP" is very unlikely and would probably bring new issues with feeding the CUs.

However, I personally think they'll go for 80SP per CU. It is the only way I see the performance to reach the levels mentioned in the AdoredTV table.

Next gen console CPU:
Still an open question for me is if the CPU will be 8C/8T or 8C/16T (SMT enabled) for the PS5. From the interview it is not entirely clear what they plan there.

Next gen console GPU:
Let's play the clock speed guessing game. The lower they are the better the NAVI architecture is compared to VEGA and POLARIS.
I believe that only the entry-level Ryzen processors have SMT disabled, it would be quite strange if they disabled it on the consoles.

For GPU frequencies, my money goes to the 1200-1400MHz range.
Hopefully together with a small increase in SPs per CU. (80SPs / 25%)

Last edited:

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Something I was just wondering - have any GPUs ever used something similar to SMT?
Not to my knowledge. Mainly because you have so many processors with such small pipelines that it doesn't make much sense, or you're working with a VLIW architecture where your instruction set/compiler should be squeezing out most of the performance SMT would get you anyway.

Although, I guess rapid packed math or just generally going multiple smaller precision calculations at the same speed as a single larger calculation might be considered similar if you stretch your definitions far enough.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I do think Sony will come in at $499. Cerny said it will come in at a price point that is attractive for what users will get. Which is a very careful and deliberate message. It's the exact thing you say when something is not "cheap". In this case, anything above $399 being not cheap

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
My personal thoughts:
1) If weaker version of xbox will be 4tf it will be huge disadvantage for microsoft. Some say its no problem cause it can be 1080p console and more powerful version 4k. But thats only if more powerful version is targetting native 4k. Targeting ~1440p - 1800p checkerbord to 4k and you can achieve more graphic complex games. But in this case what target resolution will be on 4tf machine - 720p in 2020-2027 ? ;)
2) If its true that xbox anaconda is more powerful than ps5 I assume gpu will be not much better but cpu could be 12 cores

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

That's the thing... its not possible to guarantee a better chip. Unless you explicitly know exactly what the competition is doing the you just do whatever you need to do to be better than them. But there is only so much you can do.

Look at the Navi GPU leak. Its already rumored that both consoles are using Navi 10. And what lends credence to that rumor i that if looking at the pice and TDP of the RTX 2080 Navi 10 in the table ($250 and 150W respectively) it falls well within the parameters of what sony or MS will put into a console. Even the Navi 10 SE that has a 180W TDP is doable. As it stands, net xboxbeing more expensive can only come down to sony going with the standard Navi 10 and MS going with the Navi 10 SE (which is shown to be about 15% more powerful.

Thats the only way any of this is possible now. the ONLY way. But if sony is also going with the Navi 10 SE, it doesn't matter how much money MS is throwing it anything they simply cannot get a better GPU than that that will fit into a console. Then the question becomes what kinda cooling is being used and how much RAM?

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's the thing... its not possible to guarantee a better chip. Unless you explicitly know exactly what the competition is doing the you just do whatever you need to do to be better than them. But there is only so much you can do.

Look at the Navi GPU leak. Its already rumored that both consoles are using Navi 10. And what lends credence to that rumor i that if looking at the pice and TDP of the RTX 2080 Navi 10 in the table ($250 and 150W respectively) it falls well within the parameters of what sony or MS will put into a console. Even the Navi 10 SE that has a 180W TDP is doable. As it stands, net xboxbeing more expensive can only come down to sony going with the standard Navi 10 and MS going with the Navi 10 SE (which is shown to be about 15% more powerful.

Thats the only way any of this is possible now. the ONLY way. But if sony is also going with the Navi 10 SE, it doesn't matter how much money MS is throwing it anything they simply cannot get a better GPU than that that will fit into a console. Then the question becomes what kinda cooling is being used and how much RAM?

This is a much better explanation. Thank you!

Couldn't microsoft try to have some kind of modified version of whatever is the next architecture after zen2 or Navi?

Feb 10, 2018
I do think Sony will come in at $499. Cerny said it will come in at a price point that is attractive for what users will get. Which is a very careful and deliberate message. It's the exact thing you say when something is not "cheap". In this case, anything above $399 being not cheap

I'm sorry but this is you adding bias to cenrys statement.
His statement could apply to $399 just as much as $499.
Infact his statement would apply more to $399 because gamers would find more value with that price compared to $499

Status
Not open for further replies.