• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
He'll even GG that was working on a next gen game did not know about the jump in ram for PS4.
It a sure bet that Cory does not know anything about PS5 at this stage .
If any thing it would be the ICE team that know something since they make tools for the Sony group.

Feb 10, 2018
Again, where is the link, because i heavily doubt cory is just openly speaking about next gen.

https://www./tech/gaming/703144/PS5...rlog-talks-PS4-Pro-and-PlayStation-5-consider

It's more of a general answer about how he prefers moving to a new gen.

I saw it quoted out of context a bit, that made it look more relevant to next gen.
My apologies.

haolee510

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Yes, but that's not what Sharp was talking about. He said - correctly - that there won't be 'forward compatibility'. What you're talking about is backwards compatibility with enhancements.
What about early, cross-gen launch titles? Say, a CoD game is releasing that year, promoted under the PS5/Xbox Scarlett banner, but also still releasing on PS4/X1(like how early PS4/X1 titles were still released on PS3/X360). In theory, if you buy the game on PS4, you'll still be able to play it on the PS5, right?(if BC is indeed a thing). What are we gonna call that, then? Backwards compatibility wouldn't make sense, if these games are getting released labeled as PS5/XS games. It wouldn't exactly be forward compatibility either, though.

Feb 10, 2018
What about early, cross-gen launch titles? Say, a CoD game is releasing that year, promoted under the PS5/Xbox Scarlett banner, but also still releasing on PS4/X1(like how early PS4/X1 titles were still released on PS3/X360). What are we gonna call that, then? Backwards compatibility wouldn't make sense, if these games are getting released labeled as PS5/XS games. It wouldn't exactly be forward compatibility either, though.

I wonder if cross gen games will be less of a thing, because BC is likely.

haolee510

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I wonder if cross gen games will be less of a thing, because BC is likely.
What would that be, then? Would new cross-gen games released after next gen launches just be branded as PS4/X1 games, or would they be branded as PS5/XS games? Meaning there won't be PS4/X1 copies of the games, but people can still play them on the older consoles. That could potentially be confusing for those not in the loop, though.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If Sony sells PS5 for 399/449$ and subsidize it for 150$ what kind of specs can we expect?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Right before E3 or afterwards.. It will all depend on when Sony wants to drop the PS Experience.. followed up by a meeting in Feburary

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
He'll even GG that was working on a next gen game did not know about the jump in ram for PS4.
If any thing it would be the ICE team that know something since they make tools for the Sony group.

Oh,come on :) He maybe doesn't know all the details but he is working now on GoW sequel for PS5.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
What would that be, then? Would new cross-gen games released after next gen launches just be branded as PS4/X1 games, or would they be branded as PS5/XS games? Meaning there won't be PS4/X1 copies of the games, but people can still play them on the older consoles. That could potentially be confusing for those not in the loop, though.

They will be PS4/X1 games, and the PS5 and new Xbox will have BC with enhancements on select titles. It's pretty simple, though I do agree that the next-gen consoles should be part of the branding and that every PS4 game should start being branded as 'PS4+PS5' as soon as the PS5 is revealed, same with the Xbox games. Mms already do that with their re-releases of 'Xbox 360 + Xbox One' games, and I think it would make for great advertising.

Feb 10, 2018

I think you will get a mix.
You get some devs who just do nothing and let people play there game via BC.
There will be some BC patches, some will do next gen versions that are just a res and fps bump and few will go the extra mile and add better lighting, textures etc.

haolee510

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
They will be PS4/X1 games, and the PS5 and new Xbox will have BC with enhancements on select titles. It's pretty simple, though I do agree that the next-gen consoles should be part of the branding and that every PS4 game should start being branded as 'PS4+PS5' as soon as the PS5 is revealed, same with the Xbox games. Mms already do that with their re-releases of 'Xbox 360 + Xbox One' games, and I think it would make for great advertising.
I agree that this will likely be the case, however I'm sure Sony and MS would want new games to be branded PS5/XS when they come out, though. Branding them as PS4+PS5 could be a bit awkward, but I can see it being that way.

haolee510

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I think you will get a mix.
You get some devs who just do nothing and let people play there game via BC.
There will be some BC patches, some will do next gen versions that are just a res and fps bump and few will go the extra mile and add better lighting, textures etc.
My point is more about what will they be released and packaged as? Say, CoD 2020, will it have PS5 packaging? If it's releasing cross-gen, will there be two version, one packaged as a PS4 game, one as PS5? But if they're BC and playable on both consoles, won't they basically be the same physical disc, just with different packaging?

Feb 10, 2018
I agree that this will likely be the case, however I'm sure Sony and MS would want new games to be branded PS5/XS when they come out, though. Branding them as PS4+PS5 could be a bit awkward, but I can see it being that way.

Might be like this

CxaCwh8XAAEVHLQ.jpg:large

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh,come on :) He maybe doesn't know all the details but he is working now on GoW sequel for PS5.

He might not even be doing that since he said he like when they change directors per game , so he would be just a writer on the next part .
The only people that know much about PS5 would be tech guys ( ICE , Mark) and the higher ups at Sony .
If the system really coming out in 2020 they don't even have dev kits yet .

they wont subsidize 150$ LMAO.
the biggest loss they will take is 50$.

I think they would take a bigger lost than that at least for first 6 months to a year .
With PS4 doing so good the have options .

Feb 10, 2018
He might not even be doing that since he said he like when they change directors per game .
The only people that know much about PS5 would be tech guys ( ICE , Mark) and the higher ups at Sony .
If the system really coming out in 2020 they don't even have dev kits yet .

How on earth are there devs going to make games for the PS5, if they don't already have devkits, or at least target PC with PS5 dev tools?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth are there devs going to make games for the PS5, if they don't already have devkits, or at least target PC with PS5 dev tools?

Target specs on PC until they get devs kits and they don't get final devs kits until a few months before the system comes out.
Which is why making games is harder when a new system launching since things is be in flux.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing people mention that current high-end PC GPUs don't need more than X amount of ram and so there'll be no need for much more in next gen consoles.

As has been mentioned here many times, a console has to share that memory (and its bandwidth) between the CPU and GPU; and the console OS. The PS4 uses 2.5-3.0GB for the OS; up from ~70MB on the PS3. I can easily see the PS5 OS using 4-8GB.

Also, when PS4 came out the best spec GPUs were in the 3-6GB region, 8GB Single GPUs didn't come to PC for another year to a year and a half after that... and we're talking 290X's, Ti's and Titans.

An integral part of a new console generation is to move the goal posts and set a new baseline, you can't judge the required specs based off what PCs currently use.

I concede that the requirement for a jump in RAM isn't as high as it was before and that prices are no doubt going to represent a challenge, but 2x as the basis for a platform that needs to be a flagship system for 6-8yrs and have a lifespan of 10yrs just doesn't strike me as being practical; even taking into account advances in compression, smart memory controllers and flash caches.

I can't imagine a PS5 with 16GB RAM & 500-600GB/s Bandwidth in the years approaching 2030... Mid-gen refreshes could help a little but the games will ultimately be structured around and limited by the base console in everything but Resolution, FX & Framerate.

I think 24GB @ 768GB/s (Game) + 8GB @ ~40GB/s (OS) is the baseline and I hope for 32GB @ >920GB/s (Game/OS).

In regards to the CPU, I really see no reason to go for anything other than an 8 Core / 16 Thread Zen 2, the gains in die space for dropping multi-threading is negligible and the gain in die space for dropping to 4 or 6 cores won't gain you much in GPU power to make it worth losing 25-50% of your CPU cores..

The relative physical and thermal footprint of a 3.0-3.2GHz 8C/16T Zen 2 will be roughly the same as the Jaguar CPU in PS4. There's likely little to be gained by going for less or more, I think that's the sweet-spot.

I expect:
$399
APU with 8C/16T ZEN2 @ 3GHz & Navi/NG GPU @ ~12TF
24GB GDDR6 @ ~768GB/s (Game) + 8GB DDR4 @ ~40GB/s
1.5TB 5400RPM HDD + 32GB NAND Cache

I hope for:
$449
APU with 8C/16T ZEN2 @ 3.2GHz & Navi/NG GPU @ ~14TF
32GB HBM3 @ 0.9-1.4TB/s
2TB 7200RPM HDD + 64GB NAND Cache + HBCC Memory Controller

Sony are also likely to be the biggest potential customer for high capacity, high speed RAM chips, full stop. Compared to Consumer GPUs, Pro GPUs, Microsoft and all other areas; barring any major cock-ups and depending on the specific technology and densities used, they'll be ordering 2-16 chips per unit and are pretty much guaranteed to sell 80-120 million units over the platform lifespan. I wouldn't be surprised if they alone could shift a promising but problematic and expensive technology [like HBM] to a mainstream technology; benefiting all parties involved and the industry as a whole while getting a great deal. (GDRR6 is pretty much the end of GDDR imo, and HBM or something very similar will soon become a necessity).

Nice post. One question, how much of a loss per SKU are you taking into account Sony will take?

We know last time was around $60-$80, depending on the interpretation, so some of us here think this time will be around $80-$100.

So if that was the case , and depending if you have taking that into account or not, maybe your "hope" scenario could be $399 as well, instead of the $449

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Nice post. One question, how much of a loss per SKU are you taking into account Sony will take?

We know last time was around $60-$80, depending on the interpretation, so some of us here think this time will be around $80-$100.

So if that was the case , and depending if you have taking that into account or not, maybe your "hope" scenario could be $399 as well, instead of the $449
wasnt ps4 loss on launch only 19$? iirc they said that they profit with one game purchase, so 60~80$ wouldnt do that.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I hope for:

$449
32GB HBM3 @ 0.9-1.4TB/s

I would even gladly pay 499$ for this.
Honestly, paying 499$ for something that will last you for 7 years and have thousands of hours of fun with it is a good investment.

Those specs are really monster.It would make a neverseen improvement in graphics,physics,destruction,AI,open world,NPC..

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I would even gladly pay 499$ for this.
Honestly, paying 499$ for something that will last you for 7 years and have thousands of hours of fun with it is a good investment.

Those specs are really monster.It would make a neverseen improvement in graphics,physics,destruction,AI,open world,NPC..

Me too, although a monster like that will sadly never happen, especially at that price lol

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
You guys are getting carried away again. A large percentage thought Project Scorpio was getting a Zen-based APU and look how that turned out. Temper your expectations to avoid disappointment.

Nov 12, 2017
That's coming from genuine leaks. You sources about your next gen specs: Microsoft official and unofficial PR.

Just remember a thing about next gen specs, what MS did with XBX (>40% more power + significantly more bandwidth) while being one year late and $100 more expensive: PS4 did it while releasing at the same time and being $100 less expensive than XB1. That's not PR, that's history.
PS4 had no 100$ Kinect attached to It ..
PS4 pro instead had to be a premium console for half of the gen...i let you do the hardware comparation with the xbx
Is stupid for both side to talk about specs without considering the price point

Last edited:

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Surely a Navi/NG GPU @ ~14TF would cost $400 on its own. A Vega 64 is $400 at the moment and that @~12TF. 32GB of HBM3 would also cost a fortune. Also the cooling and power requirements will be crazy for something like that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Surely a Navi/NG GPU @ ~14TF would cost $400 on its own. A Vega 64 is $400 at the moment and that @~12TF. 32GB of HBM3 would also cost a fortune. Also the cooling and power requirements will be crazy for something like that.
you shouldnt use Vega as a point of comparision. rumors are Navi 10 is around 14.5TF @ 250$ with 8GB GDDR6 and that is a consumer price, sony will get it for much cheaper.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
You will be able to take most "PlayStation" discs and use them in a PS4 or PS5- things like The Last of Us 2 will work in either system, no generation specific discs (at least in the beginning).

I highly, highly doubt that. Sony has said a number of times that they still believe in clearly defined generations, regarding every aspect of a console. Processing hardware, memory, storage, controller. PS5 will be a traditional generation console, with backward compatibility of PS4 games. I highly doubt it'll play PS3 games.

PS5 games will only work on PS5 consoles. 99% chance it won't be otherwise.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Me too, although a monster like that will sadly never happen, especially at that price lol

Lets say
CPU 100$
GPU 150$
32GB HBM3 150$?

Only that is 400$

Plus at least 150$ for optical drive,hdd,joystick,power supply,other electro-mechanical contect

I would say about 550$. Its definitely doable if they go with 449$ or 499$.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Yea only Cerny and a tight team knew PS4 definite hardware components by 1 or 2 years before

And the RAM for PS4 was apparently decided very late after prices became more obvious and then 8 GB became feasible

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
you shouldnt use Vega as a point of comparision. rumors are Navi 10 is around 14.5TF @ 250$ with 8GB GDDR6 and that is a consumer price, sony will get it for much cheaper.

I've seen those rumoured prices too but I don't believe them. They seem way too good to be true.

Are AMD scheduled to give any new info at CES?

Edit: looks like we should know more tonight regarding AMDs 2019 hardware.

AMD Keynote CES

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cory Barlog recently said he hopes that PS4 tools carry over to PS5 in a smooth transition.
Cory is one of sony's inner guard, how on earth does he not know what the PS5 is?

If SSM, one of sony's top studios don't have PS5 devkits it does not make a lot of sense for a 2020 launch.

Cory likes to make public appearances, but he's definitely not the kind of guy who would slip us information by accident. It's a purposefully vague answer that doesn't tell you what Sony is actually doing.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Cory likes to make public appearances, but he's definitely not the kind of guy who would slip us information by accident. It's a purposefully vague answer that doesn't tell you what Sony is actually doing.

He's kind of on the right track though. Sony's then-new libraries for the PS4 - GNM and GNMX - are favoured in the dev community due to them being very clean and easy to use, i.e. no legacy guff as in DirectX. So it makes sense that Sony would continue using them for PS5 which means the architecture can't be too wildly different from the PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Lets say
CPU 100$
GPU 150$
32GB HBM3 150$?

Only that is 400$

Plus at least 150$ for optical drive,hdd,joystick,power supply,other electro-mechanical contect

I would say about 550$. Its definitely doable if they go with 449$ or 499$.

32GB HBM3 @ 0.9-1.4TB/s

I'm not so sure. I certainly don't expect anything as powerful as that tbh, as great as it would be.

Feb 10, 2018
People should expect 11 - 15tf with 64cus.

With more then 64cus, 14-16tf or more becomes a lot easier.

I don't think we will get any lower then 11tf.

We can say this with quite a bit of certainty because we know the die space required and power requirements needed for such specs.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Cory likely knows enough about the PS5 to have a formed opinion. He's also likely someone that would have a say on what the PS5 should be - one of the devs Cerny is going to talk to during his tour. So, it's pretty safe to assume that what he wants aligns to some degree with what we're getting.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
People should expect 11 - 15tf with 64cus.

With more then 64cus, 14-16tf or more becomes a lot easier.

I don't think we will get any lower then 11tf.

We can say this with quite a bit of certainty because we know the die space required and power requirements needed for such specs.

15TF with 64CU is very unlikely....

EDIT: In a console obviously.

Last edited:

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Eventually yes, we will see games that require a PS5, but I really think at launch what you'll see is things like The Ladt of Us 2 or Death Stranding be enhanced for PS5. The same disc will work on both PS4 and PS5. They'll just run better on the PS5, similar to how the Pro works now. I seriously doubt we'll see any games that require the PS5 at launch.
Whilst I agree we will see cross-gen games, I don't think that's happening on the same disc. There isn't enough space for a PS5 game's enhanced textures and whatever else to fit on a standard Blu-ray disc. And PS4 doesn't support BD-XL.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah but the TDP on that is high for console. They will either downclock that or use a part with cut down CUs.
Navi 10 is su
I'm with you. I think 15TF is too high for a console that will launch within the next 2 years. I expect 11.X TF. Now, 15TF might be possible when they do a console refresh pro/X style.
Umm what? A mid gen console with less than 50% flop increase? Yea no way. Mid gen console needs to be at least 2x faster for any actual worth while advantage. In general i heavily doubt we will get only 11 TF, i am still going with 12 ~13 TF range. Those AMD leaks makes this sound perfectly plausible.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's kind of on the right track though. Sony's then-new libraries for the PS4 - GNM and GNMX - are favoured in the dev community due to them being very clean and easy to use, i.e. no legacy guff as in DirectX. So it makes sense that Sony would continue using them for PS5 which means the architecture can't be too wildly different from the PS4.

Cory likely knows enough about the PS5 to have a formed opinion. He's also likely someone that would have a say on what the PS5 should be - one of the devs Cerny is going to talk to during his tour. So, it's pretty safe to assume that what he wants aligns to some degree with what we're getting.

I think you both have an excellent view of Cory's comment. At least it seems more likely than him having no idea about the PS5 at all.

You guys are getting carried away again. A large percentage thought Project Scorpio was getting a Zen-based APU and look how that turned out. Temper your expectations to avoid disappointment.

I remember those days... I was in the camp that figured it'd be a more modest upgrade, but I was still wrong on pricing. I thought for sure that the One X would come in at $399.

Last edited:

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Supplemented with all the advancements in the areas of coding, compression and rendering techniques, middleware, API, upscaling, I believe a 11-12 tf gpu should be more than enough for next-gen.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
wasnt ps4 loss on launch only 19$? iirc they said that they profit with one game purchase, so 60~80$ wouldnt do that.

They said 1 game or 1 years worth of PS+ iirc, so most ppl assumed around $60, although I've seen other people claim $80 as well. You say $20, could be too, maybe other people can ellaborate further.

If it was $20 we could expect $50 this time around, and if it was $60 we can expect $100, because the stakes are so much higher with the revenue that will come into play with the various subscription services

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They said 1 game or 1 years worth of PS+ iirc, so most ppl assumed around $60, although I've seen other people claim $80 as well. You say $20, could be too, maybe other people can ellaborate further.

If it was $20 we could expect $50 this time around, and if it was $60 we can expect $100, because the stakes are so much higher with the revenue that will come into play with the various subscription services
In short we can expect at least 50$ subsidizing for the cost. Will be interesting to see what sony can do with a console worth 550$ (until proven otherwise i stand by 499$ price point).

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

The BOM was $381, that excludes shipping and retail cut. I think the $19 came from that but was meant as $19 profit. We know they took a small loss at the start but a game and/or PS+ sub likely balanced the books - they were making a profit after 6 months. From this we can gather the loss was anything from $30-60 IMO, next gen I would expect potentially $50-80 based of a complete guess (other than they have more money this time and are in a much better position)

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Cory, Kojima, Hulst, Druckmann.. I'm 100% sure that they know the PS5 specs and that they were involved in creating the next gen PlayStation.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This is the word of the Lord.

Dipping into Microsoft's recent patent application output - this caught my eye. Seems to indicate research relating to local compensation for streamed games, to help reduce input latency, the type of thing previously rumoured in reports on Microsoft's cloud gaming service.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10159901.html

I've only skimmed it, but it doesn't seem to go into a great deal of detail on the really tricky bits. It points to systems where the game client would handle logic and rendering for game objects under direct control or interaction by the player, composited with frames rendered by a server that exclude those objects, with systems to try to reconcile divergence between the server and client. It seems to be mute on methods of reconciliation - a really tricky part - and how to ensure in the general case that objects can be instantaneously interacted with, but it does point to an approach that might need a fair bit of explicit cooperation from the game itself.
Same concepts with their project Kahawaii streaming. Render/calculate what you can locally, do the delta computations cloud-side.

Status
Not open for further replies.