• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Has anything actually changed since the DF next-gen video last year where the expectations were of machines capable of up to ~14tf? Or have expectations simply dropped in the intervening period? I hear a lot of opinions here lately that such levels are essentially impossible in consoles, but I recall back then the DF estimates were thought quite reasonable? What gives?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Somebody posted this on B3D forum today:

"PS5 dev kits in the wild and i've some good news for you
System will be revealed close to E3 2019 in Sony's Special event with some mind-blowing tech demos and a few megatons and a release date for Q1-Q2 2020! The Last of Us Part 2's motion matching in 4K 60fps is a joy to watch!
Specifications:
CPU: 8Core/16Threads at 3.2Ghz (boost) Zen2 (this is the biggest improvement we've ever seen CPU-wise, even bigger than PS2 to PS3)
GPU: Fully NAVI-Based GPU with some AMD's next generation arch features at 12.6tf to 14.2tf (GPU clock still undecided)
Memory: 24GB - 20GB GDDR6 at 880Gb/s - 4GB DDR4 reserved for OS
2tb HDD"

anexanhume Colbert BitsandBytes and other guys who post there,what do you think? :)

Sounds too good to be true i guess...
Ah, it made it here, too. Shamepain is a banned former GAF member and doesn't have a history of being a tech guy at all.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Ah, it made it here, too. Shamepain is a banned former GAF member and doesn't have a history of being a tech guy at all.

Ehh,why am i not surprised...anyway,mods there on B3D (and it's really cool tech forum) shouldn't allow drive-by posts like that without some sort of user's verification.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh,why am i not surprised...anyway,mods there on B3D (and it's really cool tech forum) shouldn't allow drive-by posts like that without some sort of user's verification.

Posts like that really don't do any harm there. People who post there know to treat posts like that with the proper amount of skepticism.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
"This data are 100% correct and about the lastet dev-kits sony has sent to devs, i've a trustworthy friend in the industry who've access to PS5 dev-kit and of course i can prove it"

from shamepain in the beyond3d thread

xem

Oct 31, 2017
"This data are 100% correct and about the lastet dev-kits sony has sent to devs, i've a trustworthy friend in the industry who've access to PS5 dev-kit and of course i can prove it"

from shamepain in the beyond3d thread
apologies, but which particular dev kit leak? too many to keep up with these days. If you have a link pretty please.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Has anything actually changed since the DF next-gen video last year where the expectations were of machines capable of up to ~14tf? Or have expectations simply dropped in the intervening period? I hear a lot of opinions here lately that such levels are essentially impossible in consoles, but I recall back then the DF estimates were thought quite reasonable? What gives?

A lot of people don't like the idea of capable next gen consoles and seem to think we'll be playing current gen graphics at 4K.

So in other words nonsense. If Sony are stupid enough to release a 8TF console that will not have a significant jump in asset quality (not just resolution) then they deserve to lose the generation.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A dev with a devkit wouldn't know anything about Sony's plans to announce the console or about the event for said announcement.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if before people cross-post an alleged leak from a poster on another forum they take the 2 minutes it would take to look at that poster's post history there to see if it indicates anything that would support that they would have access to insider information. The "poster on Beyond3d" being referenced here has a post history that consists entirely of gushing over the visuals in various Sony exclusives and this "leak".

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That whole leak is epsilon leak. Hopefully someone will spill the beans about this leak whether it's true or fake

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite rumors are always the ones where the announcement is before a holiday season but the release is after it. Now I know it's been done, but with systems where the old one wasn't still a massive seller; Nintendo probably wasn't too worried about Wii U sales waiting on the Switch to come out, or Sony with PSP sales in the West waiting on the Vita. I can't see it happening with the PS4 -> PS5 transition.

Shawn Layden said retailers need to know what's up by the end of February, so it's difficult for me to imagine a scenario different from the PS4 announcement. February announcement, release fall of the same year, no trudging through a Christmas sales season with an old model when the new one is in the news.

Any good PSVR fanfiction lately? Last one I saw was basically magic; foveated rendering, eye tracking, 200 degree FOV, 4k, the lot.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My favorite rumors are always the ones where the announcement is before a holiday season but the release is after it. Now I know it's been done, but with systems where the old one wasn't still a massive seller; Nintendo probably wasn't too worried about Wii U sales waiting on the Switch to come out, or Sony with PSP sales in the West waiting on the Vita. I can't see it happening with the PS4 -> PS5 transition.

Shawn Layden said retailers need to know what's up by the end of February, so it's difficult for me to imagine a scenario different from the PS4 announcement. February announcement, release fall of the same year, no trudging through a Christmas sales season with an old model when the new one is in the news.

Any good PSVR fanfiction lately? Last one I saw was basically magic; foveated rendering, eye tracking, 200 degree FOV, 4k, the lot.

Patents suggest they're looking at foveated rendering, wireless headset, position tracking, new move controllers, and a few other rendering tricks to improve efficiency.

Oct 25, 2017
A dev with a devkit wouldn't know anything about Sony's plans to announce the console or about the event for said announcement.
Well that's not true. Any PS5 announcement is going to need software to demo it's capabilities. Sony will have devs working on launch period games trying to have something ready by a certain date. Having a stable build for a show doesn't just happen. That's why you often get months old builds of upcoming games at various shows throughout the year.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really reluctant. As a collective, we don't know what we don't know and it is… is this Prince of Persia? If I jump, will the bridge be there? That's what the ESA is right now. If we jump from the trade show thing to the consumer show… I do think the bridge will appear. We did PSX, we didn't know what that was going to be like. We did it for the 25th anniversary of PlayStation, but we got lucky. If you build it, they will come. That's the conversation we're having in real time right now with the ESA. Just because PlayStation is not at E3 2019 doesn't mean we won't be there in 2020.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...irst-party-crossplay-etc.99090/#post-17807331

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Also the game genres you cite as being 60fps have generally been 60fps every gen since forever, primarily because it makes most sense for many games in those genres.

If anything I'd argue a much lower proportion of games this and last gen are 60fps, as in the PS2 generation and before 60fps was pretty much ubiquitous across all games.

It sorta depends on how you look at it. I'm not sure what the straight numbers come out to overall but there are multiple franchises that have made the switch, though sometimes only partially. Off the top of my head, Resident Evil, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Mirror's Edge, Battlefield, Star Wars Battlefront, Nier, Metal Gear Solid, Killzone and Uncharted all used to stick hard to 30fps on consoles, but now they all at least target 60fps in at least one mode (Uncharted only in MP, but Naughty Dog did make it clear that they really, really wanted it to be 60fps but couldn't manage it on a technical level - not sure what the bottleneck was). There's also Devil May Cry, which went 30fps for the reboot, then swung back around HARD to 60fps when that was criticised. Ordinarily I'd probably consider this a fluke, but the fact that this is happening despite the weak Jaguar CPUs really makes me feel line there are a lot of devs who are genuinely seeing framerates higher than 30fps as important. Not all - Insomniac is one going in reverse - but quite a few.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Kodera demoted as SIE CEO after only a bit more then 1 year is shocking really...i wonder what's going on there?

Jim Ryan is great choice i guess,as a new CEO,considering Europe is PS fortess for a long time now.

Oct 25, 2017
Kodera demoted as SIE CEO after only a bit more then 1 year is shocking really...i wonder what's going on there?

Jim Ryan is great choice i guess,as a new CEO,considering Europe is PS fortess for a long time now.
It seems like Kodera just wants to focus on services and things of that nature. The CEO stuff gets in the way of that. Someone like Jim is better suited for it.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It seems like Kodera just wants to focus on services and things of that nature. The CEO stuff gets in the way of that. Someone like Jim is better suited for it.

Yes,but if that's the case they should have put Jim as CEO in the first place year ago.And the guy deserves that,he is with Sony since PS1 days,in charge of Europe,and we are always their strongest market.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jim Ryan promoted to President and CEO of SIE. Think it should be shared here as it may impact PS5 nextgen plans ...

#BCWhyWould AnybodyPlayThis
#NoCrossplayForTheChildren

"Sony Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE Deputy President Jim Ryan will be appointed President and CEO of SIE effective April 1, 2019. Current SIE President and CEO John (Tsuyoshi) Kodera will dedicate his focus on creating innovative user experiences and further enhancing the network area as Deputy President of SIE. At the same time, Jim Ryan will also assume the role of Representative Director and President of SIE's Japan-based legal entity, Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc., and John Kodera will be its Representative Director and Deputy President. Jim Ryan will report directly to Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO of Sony Corporation."
Source: PRNewsWire
Thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ji...-ceo-of-sony-interactive-entertainment.99087/

Last edited:

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So I'm curious now who gave Cerny his mandate for what is wanted in the box. We've basically gone through three people. Is most likely house/kodera? Communal effort?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Here are some of Shawn Layden's words in the Game Informer interview today that may or may not imply something regarding possible BC plans?

"What is it about having a streaming service like PlayStation Now that differentiates it from your other gaming experiences. Certainly I think one of the big benefits of PlayStation Now is its ability, on my PS4, to play the PS3 catalogue. One of the terrible circumstances of our gaming industry is that every time we launch a new console technology, we sort of put the last generation to bed. That doesn't occur in movies. That doesn't occur in music, but it occurs all the time in games. But PS Now is a way where all of a sudden you can bring back to life an entire PS3 catalogue though your PS4, through the streaming technology. It's kind of new, kind of different. You can see what that would suggest for the future, so I think that was a good experiment. Maybe we didn't explain it enough to really illustrate why it should be important to you."

Oct 25, 2017
Yes,but if that's the case they should have put Jim as CEO in the first place year ago.And the guy deserves that,he is with Sony since PS1 days,in charge of Europe,and we are always their strongest market.
Mhm, but I suppose Kodera was already next in line internally but they only changed it now because it wasn't working out. I do think Jim deserves it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.