• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Albert Penello , speaking of console makers determining specification, wouldn't this upcoming generation have been the trickiest to plan due to the high uncertainty of the timeline for 7nm and 7nm+ in earlier years? Is it probable that Sony and/or Microsoft would have done two different designs depending on those timelines, or would they focus on a single node no matter the developments?

Edit: Also, many thanks for your input, and insight, on the topic of console development?

I had always wondered if they would have a couple of contingency designs based on various factors and timelines. It would only make sense to have plans just in case things outside your control occurred.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Albert Penello , speaking of console makers determining specification, wouldn't this upcoming generation have been the trickiest to plan due to the high uncertainty of the timeline for 7nm and 7nm+ in earlier years? Is it probable that Sony and/or Microsoft would have done two different designs depending on those timelines, or would they focus on a single node no matter the developments?

Edit: Also, many thanks for your input, and insight, on the topic of console development?

Maybe this is what Phil REALLY meant by plural Xbox consoles. :D

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to comment on the specs of course. But there are couple things in here that I felt Brad took a pretty hard stance on which would be counter to my experience.

First, Sony and Microsoft know exactly the prices and specs they intend to launch, and they know it before a contract with AMD is ever signed. An enormous amount of diligence is done on a process like this internally - and figuring out the pricing and specifications of what you can build are, like, fundamental to the whole process. It's literally Step 1.

The reason is they have modeled the entire architecture and are building system components in parallel - not in series. So they have to know roughly where everything will land so that the motherboard, cooling system, case design, fan speeds, radio antennas, and countless other components all land to support the intended price and performance targets. Margins on console are super thin so there is not a ton of room to make major changes late in the program.

Now - things can change. But those changes are almost always in the margins. In the case of the Xbox One for instance, the entire case and cooling system was way overdesigned (obviously given the size!) which allowed the team to increase the clock speeds after the initial parts were tested. This was not part of the plan, and had the case been designed to precisely hit the target there would not have been the headroom to change the clock speed. And on top of that, there was a huge amount of time spent calculating the cost of that change - because even something as small as a 10% clock increase could have more than a 10% yield implication both at launch, and over the long term. So these things are not taken lightly.

So I think it's important to know that specs and prices are set pretty early in the process. Yes, things can change and evolve, but it's generally small tweaks because the implications of doing a major change late in the process are very risky. This is why any idea that Xbox One X made any change or reaction based on the Pro shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the timelines HW works on.

Well if that's true, and they pushed out a year, then they either changed their mind about the spec, or something they wanted to do could not be done in time or on cost. I doubt a 1 year slip means they are going to ship the same thing as they had planned a year earlier.
Based on your past post regarding specs, price being set early on, Cerny almost made it seem at the February 2013 announcement, the case design was not finalized at that point, and knew at E3 that year he was going to see it at the unveil with the rest of us. Could the box design be changed late in the game to accommodate upclocks of APU?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
You won't get it. Compared to current consoles and even with 9-10tflops it will be a monster because of the new GPU architecture and Ryzen CPU.

First Pro specs were leaked 18 months before the release of Scorpio. 18 months before is pretty early for a mid-gen console. First Scorpio reveal was done after the Pro was leaked.
"new GPU architecture"
That's kinda the problem with next gen, it's a GCN refresh, so the leap will be smaller than ever before, they really should wait until 2021 for AMD's true next gen GPU's, but people don't wanna wait that long despite the PS4 Pro & X.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I just want to say big thanks to Albert Penello for insight posts.
Must be difficult to write without revealing too much..

Im interested in (and obviously it will not be possible to answer this) but how would a company go about to "secure" top spot with having the most powerful console when not knowing where the competitor will be at.

Is it a viable strategy to have several possible configurations, with testing and everything and depending on what is leaked/revealed from the competitor, that you would choose accordingly in order to maintain tech lead or is it already decided long before like, pardon the expression but.. "fuck it, lets max this to the max"?

Also, when designing specs and hardware.. (because many involved are also gamers (Phil Spencer for sure), do you as a unit create a hardware that you feel would be design for you (as gamers yourself). Because you guys also love to play games, you have the possibility to design something that you also would like to have as a gamer... or is it strictly "business" always?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
console lover said:
If Penello has done anything, it's probably relieved concerns of Sony releasing an under powered console. Which is an odd fear to begin with. Either they speced so high that they needed a year to have price come down, or they decided to push out a year to increase things

you need to keep your expectations on ps5 specs in check. sony hasn't turned the ps5 into ps5 turbo. 2019 was never a thing. team 2019 needs to let it go.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Firstly thank you Albert Penello for weighing in and providing some much needed context.

this should calm many heads here. hopefully

For like a page or two and then it's back to the wild speculation and leaks based on a culmination of what's discussed here. Penello's input is super important but this thread has taken on a life of it's own and I fear it'll be forgotten quickly in favor of continuing the, often not based on reality, speculation.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't like the word "locked" because they really aren't "locked" until mass production. That's usually (and man this one I'll have to think about) not until about maybe ~6 months before release. Units that are near-production quality for testing and validation are more like ~9 months from street date. At that point, small tweaks may be happening so there could be very minor differences. So I take the word "locked" very seriously.

But, you can make very small changes right about a year before launch. The variables for a full-next generation console are MUCH different then what we were dealing with on Scorpio, which we were pretty confident in early on (and which allowed us to announce so early), in not the same situation.

This is the nuance of my early post. The specs for these machines are largely targeted very early, and any changes that do happen that late in the game are usually pretty small. Does that make sense?

It also seems to be accepted wisdom that console manufacturers get access to new gen components from AMD far in advance of them becoming available to the consumer. How far is this actually true?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting words by Albert.

I've always thought (and said) that the first step was fixing the price ($399 for PS5) and from there you calculate what can you implement for that price.

So they knew the specs very early on....that doesn't bode well for SSD for example, which prices are only going down lately.

Nor for the PS5 and not for Lockhart either.

So that would be 2 things that put Brad Sams in doubt, the Hard Drive and the talk about specs not being 100% final. So he's either:

- Making things up, or
- He's getting fed false information...

Could MS do that on purpose, and why?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

I've always thought (and said) that the first step was fixing the price ($399 for PS5) and from there you calculate what can you implement for that price.

So they knew the specs very early on....that doesn't bode well for SSD for example, which prices are only going down lately.

So that would be 2 things that put Brad Sams in doubt, the Hard Drive and the talk about specs not being 100% final. So he's either:

- Making things up, or

I mean Brad said, the dev kit uses an SSD, so it might just be something for developers. Or the final versions use a smaller SSD.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Brad said, the dev kit uses an SSD, so it might just be something for developers. Or the final versions use a smaller SSD.
Dev Kits always have better specs, mostly because of debugging tools and other crap that is needed for monitoring and fine tuning.

I hope for SSD, but I would rather an HDD running at 7200rpms with 2TB of storage.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
RE SSD: It'd be great, but the most important thing isn't what it ships with the console, but rather what is supported. That was what was so disappointing about the OG PS4 which shipped with a SATA 2 port instead of SATA 3.

If it's not economically feasible for Sony/MS to ship with a high speed, high capacity NVMe SSD, it's enough for me if they provide support and easy access for the user to make such an upgrade.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
RE SSD: It'd be great, but the most important thing isn't what it ships with the console, but rather what is supported. That was what was so disappointing about the OG PS4 which shipped with a SATA 2 port instead of SATA 3.

If it's not economically feasible for Sony/MS to ship with a high speed, high capacity NVMe SSD, it's enough for me if they provide support and easy access for the user to make such an upgrade.
The PS4 doesn't have enough physical space for 2.5" HDD that is 12mm in thickness, a 4TB HDD. I dare to bet that Sony will not expose the pcie, which they probably won't use considering the price.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
If the next gen consoles have a removable hard drive that can be swapped about between an SSD and a HDD similar to the Xbox 360 then i'd be good with that.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About the whole SSD thing...

If the next-gen Xbox consoles were to use traditional hard drives with cache of flash memory, would we see that on the dev kit? I wasn't sure if it's easier/cheaper to just throw an SSD in the dev kit for that scenario. Xbox One X has an SSD in the dev kit does it not?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hoping for a hybrid drive that can be swapped out for an SSD. Would still provide a nice experience for those that don't want to spend extra money on upgrades. Having a couple 3.1 slots would allow for plug-and-play upgrades as well. My Sammy T5 external SSD gets nearly the same performance (like, within margin of error) as my M.2 860 Evo.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Didn't he say Dev Kits weren't supposed to be out until after GDC?

I don't think he was referring to devkits when he talks SSD, but the final SKUs

Edit: In any case you all missing the point of my post, the point was that the specs + price is the first thing that are decided, as per Albert Penello, so it doesn't make sense to plan for an SSD and then expect that it drops as much as it did.

So for the PS5 at $399 wouldn't make sense, and for the Lockhart either.

On the other hand if they planned it for Anaconda, which would make sense, now they can make it cheaper than they thought, which in turn liberates some money.

Although it's probably hard to invest that money on the sku now, this late in the game, I'm sure they can tweak some things etc

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 doesn't have enough physical space for 2.5" HDD that is 12mm in thickness, a 4TB HDD. I dare to bet that Sony will not expose the pcie, which they probably won't use considering the price.
Who knows what they'll do... But say they want to include some flash storage for cache, wouldn't it be cheap to just plop an m.2 slot and have it accessible for service?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Making things up, or

It's possible.

We know how MS beat Sony to the punch with the Scorpio announcement even though Sony was much farther ahead (a full year ahead) and stole Sony's so called thunder with a 6 tflops console that made Sony's pro obselete before it was even announced, let alone released. Phill has been playing 3d chess this whole time. He knows Sony's gameplan. Simple no-frills and powerful console for a mass market price, and he has gone out of his way to announce that MS will reveal not one but two consoles. Now if I was Sony, i would be like what the hell do i do now? He will beat me with a cheaper console and a more powerful console at the same time. I am in a lose-lose situation.

I began to have self doubts and delay my console to have a more powerful console to avoid the bad PR i got from the Pro. But maybe thats exactly what Phill wanted. he knew he was going to get beaten to the market by a full year and threw Sony in for a loop by talking about the most powerful console ever made.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. Horizon 2 was probably not ready for a 2019 launch and there werent any third party cross gen games releasing in 2019 for Sony to advertise at E3 2019. They were probably a bit insecure about releasing an 8 tflops console and figured it couldnt hurt to delay it by a full year. At some point, you say screw it to the comeptition and focus on what you do best which is first party output and they probably wanted to give their first party studios enough time to get demos ready for the reveal.

Note: all of this is just assumptions on my part with some gossip to keep things interesting. its fun to discuss what might be happening behind the scenes in the most salicious way possible.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
It's possible.

We know how MS beat Sony to the punch with the Scorpio announcement even though Sony was much farther ahead (a full year ahead) and stole Sony's so called thunder with a 6 tflops console that made Sony's pro obselete before it was even announced, let alone released. Phill has been playing 3d chess this whole time. He knows Sony's gameplan. Simple no-frills and powerful console for a mass market price, and he has gone out of his way to announce that MS will reveal not one but two consoles. Now if I was Sony, i would be like what the hell do i do now? He will beat me with a cheaper console and a more powerful console at the same time. I am in a lose-lose situation.

I began to have self doubts and delay my console to have a more powerful console to avoid the bad PR i got from the Pro. But maybe thats exactly what Phill wanted. he knew he was going to get beaten to the market by a full year and threw Sony in for a loop by talking about the most powerful console ever made.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. Horizon 2 was probably not ready for a 2019 launch and there werent any third party cross gen games releasing in 2019 for Sony to advertise at E3 2019. They were probably a bit insecure about releasing an 8 tflops console and figured it couldnt hurt to delay it by a full year. At some point, you say screw it to the comeptition and focus on what you do best which is first party output and they probably wanted to give their first party studios enough time to get demos ready for the reveal.

Note: all of this is just assumptions on my part with some gossip to keep things interesting. its fun to discuss what might be happening behind the scenes in the most salicious way possible.

Nor most likely for a 2020 release date... Why did you think a such project could have been released in 2019?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

- Making things up, or

Why wouldn't it bode well for an SSD if that's what they were planning from the beginning? If talking to their suppliers they could estimate out what the costs would be over ~10 years it's very possible they've been thinking about it from the beginning.

I would assume Sony is looking at the same storage solution as well for the PS5.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows what they'll do... But say they want to include some flash storage for cache, wouldn't it be cheap to just plop an m.2 slot and have it accessible for service?
Adding a port if it is not included in the motherboard design is a pita. Doubtful that Sony cared enough. Probably we will just get plain old USB 3, not USB 3.1.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible.

If anything Sony was sticking to there own plan .
We knew about Pro specs etc etc going into E3 but Sony did not want to talk about it there and did there own event .
This is when Andrew House was in charge and said he did not want to announce hardware to long before you can buy it , don't know if that is still the same way now that he left .
Also it make sense that Sony don't want to announce hardware early there sales are still really good at the current price point .
This month NPD is the perfect eg of this , Sony and MS going to have different plans and do things different cause there standing is not the same.

Jan 17, 2019
It's possible.

tenor.gif

Where MS stole so called "Sony's thunder"? What happened in the end when MS beat Sony to the punch after Scorpio announcement? Powerful console for a mass market? And yet X1 is selling worse every year. WTF i'm reading here.

Btw, you're missed KZ Shadowfall launch for 2 years.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he say Dev Kits weren't supposed to be out until after GDC?

I don't think he was referring to devkits when he talks SSD, but the final SKUs

Edit: In any case you all missing the point of my post, the point was that the specs + price is the first thing that are decided, as per Albert Penello, so it doesn't make sense to plan for an SSD and then expect that it drops as much as it did.

So for the PS5 at $399 wouldn't make sense, and for the Lockhart either.

On the other hand if they planned it for Anaconda, which would make sense, now they can make it cheaper than they thought, which in turn liberates some money.

Although it's probably hard to invest that money on the sku now, this late in the game, I'm sure they can tweak some things etc
He specifically refers to the dev kit (Danta) having an NVME SSD, not the consumer version:

(12:08 if the timestamp doesn't work)
There is no reason to doubt Sams (or "making things up"), given his track record and Thurrott as a whole.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, that is incredibly disrespectful to anyone on the KZ team.

lol i didnt mean to be disrespectful. we have always referred to B teams over at Sony's studios. GoW Ascension and KZ Shadowfall were disappointments for a reason.
You're off by 2 years
No everyone was working on KZ and small set working on HZD.
GG does not have two teams plus your dates wrong lol
lol yes i meant 2013 when PS4 launche.d

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
lol i didnt mean to be disrespectful. we have always referred to B teams over at Sony's studios. GoW Ascension and KZ Shadowfall were disappointments for a reason.

"We"?

There is no "B" team at any of Sony's studios.

GOW Ascension was a great game and KZ Shadowfall was a launch game made in a remarkably short space of time. Middling quality launch games are simply a fact of the industry (unless you're Nintendo and operating on your own timeline)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We"?

There is no "B" team at any of Sony's studios.

GOW Ascension was a great game and KZ Shadowfall was a launch game made in a remarkably short space of time. Middling quality launch games are simply a fact of the industry (unless you're Nintendo and operating on your own timeline)
People on forums have referred to those teams as B teams for the longest time.

Sony studios no longer have two teams making seperate projects anymore but this was true back in those days when ND was developing TLOU and Uncharted 4 at the same time, SSM was developing a new IP and GOW Ascension at the same time and GG was making Horizon and KZ shadowfall at the same time.

2 years and 8 months is not a short space of time. The Horizon 2 team is even bigger than the first and the entire studio is working on it at the same time. Obviously it's possible they still werent able to deliver a sequel in that time, but if rumors of Sony's initial plans to launch in 2019 are true, they wouldve thought they could deliver a sequel in 2 years and 8 months since they had done that already. especially now that the studio is bigger than ever and focused on one game.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
He specifically refers to the dev kit (Danta) having an NVME SSD, not the consumer version:

(12:08 if the timestamp doesn't work)
There is no reason to doubt Sams (or "making things up"), given his track record and Thurrott as a whole.

Look, I didn't bring Sam up, Albet Penello did, putting in doubt the affirmation than the specs are not final, according to his prior experience

So thats why I asked that either he's making stuff up (which I myself don't think) or so someone is feeding false information to him.

Alternatively, you can also put in question Albert's doubts and believe that indeed Sam is 100% correct.

But for the sake of arguent and speculation, let's heed Albert's advice, and question ourlseves, if Sam is not making stuff up, who and why would leak to him false information?

But I see the thread is not receptive about these inquisitive line of thought lol

Let's go back to the TFs, storage size and clock speed talk, which certainly seems much more endearing

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Sony studios no longer have two teams making seperate projects anymore but this was true back in those days when ND was developing TLOU and Uncharted 4 at the same time, SSM was developing a new IP and GOW Ascension at the same time and GG was making Horizon and KZ shadowfall at the same time.

2 years and 8 months is not a short space of time. The Horizon 2 team is even bigger than the first and the entire studio is working on it at the same time. Obviously it's possible they still werent able to deliver a sequel in that time, but if rumors of Sony's initial plans to launch in 2019 are true, they wouldve thought they could deliver a sequel in 2 years and 8 months since they had done that already. especially now that the studio is bigger than ever and focused on one game.

You are wrong about GG there were never 2 teams or anything like that .
There was small team working on pro type stuff while everyone was working KZSF .
Then after wards everyone move over to HZD .
You really can't call 15 to 25 people doing pro type stuff a team .

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I didn't bring Sam up, Albet Penello did, putting in doubt the affirmation than the specs are not final, according to his prior experience

So thats why I asked that either he's making stuff up (which I myself don't think) or so someone is feeding false information to him.

Alternatively, you can also put in question Albert's doubts and believe that indeed Sam is 100% correct.

But for the sake of arguent and speculation, let's heed Albert's advice, and question ourlseves, if Sam is not making stuff up, who and why would leak to him false information?

But I see the thread is not receptive about these inquisitive line of thought lol

Let's go back to the TFs, storage size and clock speed talk, which certainly seems much more endearing
"Who" it's not one singular person, he talks about three separate sources he verified it with. I was just correcting you about what he said in relation to the SSD, no need to explain your reasoning.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
"Who" it's not one singular person, he talks about three separate sources he verified it with. I was just correcting you about what he said in relation to the SSD, no need to explain your reasoning.

No man, you weren't "just correcting me about what he said in relation to the SSD" (in which I think you're mistaken btw, because he's talk about them in other videos, in which he mentioned the possibility of an SSD on actual SKU's, but I don't have time to rewatch all of them at this point, so let's leave it at that)...

You were also rebuking me for, and I quote, "There is no reason to doubt Sams (or "making things up"), given his track record".

Of course I wanted to clarify that further, so that's i explained my reasoning, and if you go back to my initial post, in which I said "make things up", which you mention but don't quote, I say very clearly "He either made things up, or someone was misleading him"

So indeed I needed to explain my reasoning, because you misrepresented what I said, which was not to cast doubt about him , but on the contrary, ask ourlseves "who and why?" would mislead him, if it was the case that indeed his info is not 100% accurate

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
No man, you weren't "just correcting me about what he said in relation to the SSD" (in which I think you're mistaken btw, because he's talk about them in other videos, in which he mentioned the possibility of an SSD on actual SKU's, but I don't have time to rewatch all of them at this point, so let's leave it at that)...

You were also rebuking me for, and I quote, "There is no reason to doubt Sams (or "making things up"), given his track record".

Of course I wanted to clarify that further, so that's i explained my reasoning, and if you go back to my initial post, in which I said "make things up", which you mention but don't quote, I say very clearly "He either made things up, or someone was misleading him"

So indeed I needed to explain my reasoning, because you misrepresented what I said, which was not to cast doubt about him , but on the contrary, ask ourlseves "who and why?" would mislead him, if it was the case that indeed his info is not 100% accurate
giphy.gif

I was also clearly talking about the SSD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Forum fanfiction =/= reality. No single Sony studio has ever had two full discrete teams outside of Guerilla Cambridge who were renamed from existing Sony Cambridge and Japan Studio.

Both GG and ND have always had all staff working on all their games but with a small skeleton crew that break off and work on concepting and pre-production on new titles while the existing ones are in the final stages of their full production cycle. You're misinformed here.

Also, when the average current gen game takes 4yrs to make (Anthem took 6 and look what a shitshow that turned out to be), GG making KZ Shadowfall being made in just over 2 and a half, while being so polished despite its flaws is remarkable.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forum fanfiction =/= reality. No single Sony studio has ever had two full discrete teams outside of Guerilla Cambridge who were renamed from existing Sony Cambridge and Japan Studio.

Both GG and ND have always had all staff working on all their games but with a small skeleton crew that break off and work on concepting and pre-production on new titles while the existing ones are in the final stages of their full production cycle. You're misinformed here.

Also, when the average current gen game takes 4yrs to make (Anthem took 6 and look what a shitshow that turned out to be), GG making KZ Shadowfall being made in just over 2 and a half, while being so polished despite its flaws is remarkable.
Not true.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/12/12/naughty-dog-officially-split-into-two-teams

BY COLIN MORIARTY Naughty Dog, the keystone of Sony's 15 studio first party roster, has typically made one game at a time. But sometime after Uncharted 2: Among Thieves came out, Naughty Dog split its focus onto two separate projects. Indeed, the team that was responsible for Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is not the same team that's been toiling away on The Last of Us for the last two years.

As confirmed by Naughty Dog's Co-President Christophe Balestra on Twitter, two teams are now hard at work at Naughty Dog. One team is presumably working on Uncharted 3's post-release content while the other is indeed working on The Last of Us.

Sony famously canned SSM's new IP just a few weeks after firing Amy Henning. That IP was led by Stig who had directed GoW3. After they cancelled, they had a big round of layoffs.

You can watch any horizon documentary and you will find that they had a separate team of 30-40 people working on Horizon while they shipped KZ Shadowfall.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Not true.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/12/12/naughty-dog-officially-split-into-two-teams

Sony famously canned SSM's new IP just a few weeks after firing Amy Henning. That IP was led by Stig who had directed GoW3. After they cancelled, they had a big round of layoffs.

You can watch any horizon documentary and you will find that they had a separate team of 30-40 people working on Horizon while they shipped KZ Shadowfall.

The point is, having two separate teams working on titles that overlap doesn't mean that those are two distinct teams of physical people who always work together do not move around between projects.

Colin's article is editorialising here based on that tweet.

There is no "A" Team and "B" Team, as you seem to want to suggest, where one has all the most talented staff and the other team is the leftover dregs that work on the shit projects.

That's forum fanfiction and disrespectful to the devs.

Frankly I think posters peddling that kinda sentiment are being abhorrent

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

I was also clearly talking about the SSD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I wasn't, so that's how and why you misrepresented me.

If you don't wanna address the points I made, why quote me in the first place?

But let me show you how you are wrong about the SSD as well:

https://youtu.be/Zggh5sysbsY

14m45s

Question: "Brad, do you think next generation Xbox should have an SSD?"
Answer: "Yes, I do, and I'm almost positive that it does"

And then again at 15m32s

"So yeah, the next gen stuff will have a Solid State Drive, it might be up to 1TB is what I'm hearing"

So welp, there you have it

To finalize I wanna add that I'm pretty sure he talks about SSDs in yet another video, but the experience of going through this once again was quite grueling, so I'm not gonna search for them :P

Edit: I have no idea what "Simmah down nah" means btw

Edit 2: Adding Lausebub's post

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's forum fanfiction and disrespectful to the devs.

Frankly I think posters peddling that kinda sentiment are being abhorrent
I think you are being disingenious here. Stop trying to get outraged over something so commonly used on forums. When Dark Souls 2 came out and it ended up being a disappointment, and people found out Myzaki wasnt involved, people openly blamed it on the "B" Team. When Andromeda came out and people realized it was an entirely different studio that made it, and that the A team was working on Anthem, people blamed the B team.

If the games ended up being great and not massive disappointments then you wouldnt hear people call them B teams. GG Cambridge made Mercenary and everyone here was begging Sony to let them work on Killzone full time. They used to be the B team and people loved them. Treyarch was once the B team and they are now by far the most popular CoD devs.

You need to stop getting so worked up over this. Calling posters abhorrent for using terms being used going back all the way to DMC2 is ridiculous. Leads in video games matter. If most, if not all the major leads are working on Horizon or Santa Monica's new IP or The Last Of Us or Bloodborne then other games suffer. U3, GoW Ascension, Dark Souls 2, Killzone Shadowfall all didnt live up to expectations because they didnt have the best talent working on them. Thats the cold hard fact. No one is calling devs lazy. They did the best they could.

But if we are literally getting to the point where we cant say a game as flawed as Killzone Shadowfall wasnt made by their best devs then we reached a new level of insanity.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think you are being disingenious here. Stop trying to get outraged over something so commonly used on forums. When Dark Souls 2 came out and it ended up being a disappointment, and people found out Myzaki wasnt involved, people openly blamed it on the "B" Team. When Andromeda came out and people realized it was an entirely different studio that made it, and that the A team was working on Anthem, people blamed the B team.

If the games ended up being great and not massive disappointments then you wouldnt hear people call them B teams. GG Cambridge made Mercenary and everyone here was begging Sony to let them work on Killzone full time. They used to be the B team and people loved them. Treyarch was once the B team and they are now by far the most popular CoD devs.

You need to stop getting so worked up over this. Calling posters abhorrent for using terms being used going back all the way to DMC2 is ridiculous. Leads in video games matter. If most, if not all the major leads are working on Horizon or Santa Monica's new IP or The Last Of Us or Bloodborne then other games suffer. U3, GoW Ascension, Dark Souls 2, Killzone Shadowfall all didnt live up to expectations because they didnt have the best talent working on them. Thats the cold hard fact. No one is calling devs lazy. They did the best they could.

But if we are literally getting to the point where we cant say a game as flawed as Killzone Shadowfall wasnt made by their best devs then we reached a new level of insanity.

"Stop being outraged by my inflammatory language used in my ignorance to disrespect developers when I feel disappointed about something I like less than others."

I'm not the one being disingenuous here, my friend.

Regardless, i'm not going to respond on this any further because you clearly think its ok to continue peddling the above sentiment.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Regarding "contingency plans" or multiple development paths: No. At least not in the way I assume you mean (which is to actively parallel-path different options). That's simply not economically feasible because in essence you're developing multiple different consoles and incurring all the costs and risks associated with both. The chip itself is only one part of the program, and the entire system is usually built around the chip. So doing more than one is really not possible. You do have multiple options for achieving your goals which is discussed with the vendors (e.g. AMD), but assuming I'm interpreting the question correctly - you chart one course and go. As I've said, adjustments can be made during development but I would not consider that "contingency plans" in the way I think you mean it. There is a lot of risk involved. It's scary - but remember AMD is a partner long-term for both Sony and Microsoft, so by the time work is being done, and contracts are in place, there is a high degree of confidence from all involved that the plan can happen.

On Cerny's comment on the final form. Obviously I can't speak to Sony's timing and I don't know how much he is involved in system design vs. just chip design. The simplest answer (based on what I know) is that the entire system design is done in Japan so it's simply possible that he was not involved in the console ID. He's not a Sony employee AFAIK, he's a consultant I thought, so that could be more of an organizational decision then a timing one. I do know that "seeing the final" and "seeing work in progress" are also not the same thing. So it's very likely he had some idea of the overall form, but simply wasn't privy to the final ID until after the system integration was done. Again, I don't know but I don't think it is counter to any of the timelines I've talked about.

Finally - I'm not intending to suggest that Brad is lying, or being fed bad information (on purpose). I think people who are leaking may be credible sources and just don't know the whole plan. He is likely likely getting small snippets of information then extrapolating that into a spec, or the people giving him the information only have part of the story and are doing the same thing. The only thing I was reacting to was the impression that these console specs are fluid, they haven't been decided, and so everything is still up-in-the-air. That's likely not the case. Someone knows exactly what the plan is.

I have yet to see anything that is accurate to what I was aware of before I left. The infinite monkey theorem suggests that maybe someone, somewhere has figured it out exactly. But so far nothing I have seen is 100% right. Of course, things could have changed as it's been 9 months since I left so it's possible the plan has changed slightly. And if someone did have it right, I would never say.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
But I wasn't, so that's how and why you misrepresented me.

If you don't wanna address the points I made, why quote me in the first place?

But let me show you how you are wrong about the SSD as well:

https://youtu.be/Zggh5sysbsY

14m45s

Question: "Brad, do you think next generation Xbox should have an SSD?"
Answer: "Yes, I do, and I'm almost positive that it does"

And then again at 15m32s

"So yeah, the next gen stuff will have a Solid State Drive, it might be up to 1TB is what I'm hearing"

So welp, there you have it

To finalize I wanna add that I'm pretty sure he talks about SSDs in yet another video, but the experience of going through this once again was quite grueling, so I'm not gonna search for them :P

Edit: I have no idea what "Simmah down nah" means btw

Edit 2: Adding Lausebub's post
"Simmah down nah" means calm down, thanks for the link and the info. I'm still utterly confused about how I "misrepresented" you, or your responses in general tbh. All I did was respond to you with the Sams video about the "leak" were he talks about it as you were unsure about what he said, but I was clearly mistaken as I did not remember the response in that other video. I also see nothing wrong with me saying "There is no reason to doubt Sams (or "making things up"), given his track record and Thurrott as a whole", I don't think he has made anything up given his track record and thurrott as whole. I also don't think there is any reason to doubt Sams, he (or Thurrott) wouldn't have their track record if they were being fed false info. They wouldn't be doing their job properly if that was the case, I pointed out in my second response that he had checked with three sources clearly to avoid such a thing from being reported. So I don't think anything was made up, I also don't think he is being fed false info as he is doing his job as a journalist well which is a given due to his track record. I'm really finding it hard to understand what your taking issue with.

Regarding "contingency plans" or multiple development paths: No. At least not in the way I assume you mean (which is to actively parallel-path different options). That's simply not economically feasible because in essence you're developing multiple different consoles and incurring all the costs and risks associated with both. The chip itself is only one part of the program, and the entire system is usually built around the chip. So doing more than one is really not possible. You do have multiple options for achieving your goals which is discussed with the vendors (e.g. AMD), but assuming I'm interpreting the question correctly - you chart one course and go. As I've said, adjustments can be made during development but I would not consider that "contingency plans" in the way I think you mean it. There is a lot of risk involved. It's scary - but remember AMD is a partner long-term for both Sony and Microsoft, so by the time work is being done, and contracts are in place, there is a high degree of confidence from all involved that the plan can happen.

On Cerny's comment on the final form. Obviously I can't speak to Sony's timing and I don't know how much he is involved in system design vs. just chip design. The simplest answer (based on what I know) is that the entire system design is done in Japan so it's simply possible that he was not involved in the console ID. He's not a Sony employee AFAIK, he's a consultant I thought, so that could be more of an organizational decision then a timing one. I do know that "seeing the final" and "seeing work in progress" are also not the same thing. So it's very likely he had some idea of the overall form, but simply wasn't privy to the final ID until after the system integration was done. Again, I don't know but I don't think it is counter to any of the timelines I've talked about.

Finally - I'm not intending to suggest that Brad is lying, or being fed bad information (on purpose). I think people who are leaking may be credible sources and just don't know the whole plan. He is likely likely getting small snippets of information then extrapolating that into a spec, or the people giving him the information only have part of the story and are doing the same thing. The only thing I was reacting to was the impression that these console specs are fluid, they haven't been decided, and so everything is still up-in-the-air. That's likely not the case. Someone knows exactly what the plan is.

I have yet to see anything that is accurate to what I was aware of before I left. The infinite monkey theorem suggests that maybe someone, somewhere has figured it out exactly. But so far nothing I have seen is 100% right. Of course, things could have changed as it's been 9 months since I left so it's possible the plan has changed slightly. And if someone did have it right, I would never say.
It's nice to have you posting in here with some behind the scenes info, I think the thread would go mad without the occasional informative post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.