• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there's been no leaks about PS4's price either, so it could be either.

But I personally want $499 to ensure we get visuals closer to these tech demos using a RTX 2080Ti.

It really disappoints me that next gen probably won't have nvidia RTX hardware or some other specific Ray tracing hardware.

The next naughty dog game is going look insane with this type of hardware. What the actual fuck :o

Oct 25, 2017
interesting number choices. did you make them yourself or referring to a leak?

Patrick Klepek, gametrailers, Michael Pachter all reported on it as well. Im sure ign and other sites mentioned it but its hard to dig through years of content to find old articles. Sony kept quiet and let Microsoft take the bullet on the used game initiative but it was reported they had the same plan. That last minute "used games" video sony filmed in a e3 hotel room was a brilliant marketing move on their part. People were so quick to forget sony was up to the same skeevy plan and now all of a sudden was a gamers best friend.
It was speculation based on "If Microsoft is doing it, then Sony must be doing too." That's where the "SonyToo" meme came from back on gaf. There has never really been any concrete information indicating that they were doing it too and only backed off because of the backlash Microsoft was receiving. Or that they changed their E3 conference to reflect that.

Oct 28, 2017
It was speculation based on "If Microsoft is doing it, then Sony must be doing too." That's where the "SonyToo" meme came from back on gaf. There has never really been any concrete information indicating that they were doing it too and only backed off because of the backlash Microsoft was receiving. Or that they changed their E3 conference to reflect that.

This guy said he had sources saying it was true. Not sure if it was ever true. Doesn't matter now obviously but interesting anyway.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

it wasn't speculation, it was reported and backed by developers but sony never publicly announced it. A smart movie after what the response was to Microsoft. I remember a thread on this very subject back on gaf and people dug out the links. I don't really want to log in there to see if that thread still exists or got purged after the shower.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Didn't Sony have a patent to embed information on the Blu-ray, potentially to prevent resale?

Edit: yes: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/pl...-plans-detailed-in-january-2013-pate-1439755/

Literally to control used game sales, says that article.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
In what world are features more important than the core reason a console exists?

I want power, not features.
The core of a console certainly isn´t raw power. I mean we have plenty of examples that prove otherwise. PS2 vs. Xbox/Gamecube, DS vs. PSP, Wii vs. PS3/360, PSX vs. N64, 3DS vs. Vita, Switch. And it´s not like a 9TF PS5 would be outlandishly underpowered anyway.

Jan 21, 2019
The core of a console certainly isn´t raw power. I mean we have plenty of examples that prove otherwise. PS2 vs. Xbox/Gamecube, DS vs. PSP, Wii vs. PS3/360, PSX vs. N64, 3DS vs. Vita, Switch. And it´s not like a 9TF PS5 would be outlandishly underpowered anyway.

I can't wait for pong in 4k. /s

I have high hopes for Sony since they will be pushing VR, I expect them to push the power envelope farther than we think.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think just about everyone would choke if the next gen systems were under 10.2 TF at this point, so in my view it's a safe bet we can expect at least 12.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Well, let's look at sales of the Switch for starters.
Which isn't PlayStation i.e. a low powered Switch-like PlayStation 4 wouldn't have sold.

The PlayStation platform, as your examples show, is expected to be powerful. True, there are clever ways to show power.

9TF's would be fine if that's near the upper limit of possible capabilities. If it's significantly higher, Sony would need to move along to compete.

Jan 21, 2019
Kinda off topic but not really.

The least we are expecting is zen2 with 8 cores at 3.2gh with an 8tf gpu.

Let's say Sony pays 150$ for the Apu.

That is an insane amount of power inside an Apu. I am very interested if there will be an equivalent to buy on PC. Obviously, it would not have 16gigs of gddr6 but with sufficient ram, wouldn't it kill any mid tier PC competitor with even dedicated graphics cards for like 220$? Or will the ram set up void this idea?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, a question regarding Stadia. Say for a moment that next gen consoles are much more powerful than most expect, say 15TF or so, if a multi-plat game is made for those consoles that pushes them to their limits how would that work on Stadia? Would it be more likely the game would be toned down to run on one 10.7TF Stadia instance or more likely they'll just toss it on there and let 2 instances run it? I guess it'd be up to the dev when porting it over, but I wonder if that might be something that crops up. Not to mention what if next gen consoles have 24 or 32GB of RAM, and even more powerful CPUs than a single Stadia instance? If the dev isn't willing to pay for 2 Stadia instances for their title does that mean Stadia will wind up with a lesser version of the game? Or if they are willing to pay for 2 instances does that mean the cost might be shifted to the consumer?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Those are all magnificent questions Google did not really answer because Stadia is still basically just an idea for them to profit from the large gaming base on YouTube.

That said, I don't think it's any different than running a game at lower settings until devs make requirements higher for games. At which point, they have to upgrade server instances to keep up anyway.

I don't expect too many games are going to require nothing but high-end GPUs of today for a few years.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Where are my leaks? I was promised leaks after GDC, seriously though why the fuck no one knows anything about the PS5?

'PS5' codename reportedly leaked as PlayStation 5

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Where are my leaks? I was promised leaks after GDC, seriously though why the fuck no one knows anything about the PS5?

Well I was gonna wait a while to share, but you twisted my arm... I've heard from top sources that the PS5 is in fact short for PlayStation 5.

You heard it here folks!

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
A bit off topic but i fully agree with Mat here,Sony should give up on new VR with PS5:

Mass market VR gaming is just not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The positive by product of Stadia is that will be a larger emphasis on Vulkan support/adoption in game engines. More games might even get native Linux support.

One thing I wonder though is if Stadia and the push for distributed computing for games will ultimately change the paradigm of game engine development to be multi-gpu/cpu aware?

Anyway, I hope next-gen will bring Nvidia Flow like volumetric particle effects to games. I'm ready for games to completely leave 2D billboards and sprites behind!

I guess I shouldn't have joked about not getting new next-gen info after GDC...

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I get that moreover, Sony's fiscal year isn't over and Matt doesn't get any privilege to see that info ahead of time. I think Matt is coming out pre-maturely with his absolute statement. :p

Why should we care about Sony's fiscal year? Mat is an analyst:he sees and analyzes VR sales numbers since that thing was launched few years ago and he just confirmed what lots of us suspected already: VR gaming is not gonna happen,it's just a waste of resources at this point.

Dec 4, 2018
Why should we care about Sony's fiscal year? Mat is an analyst:he sees and analyzes VR sales numbers since that thing was launched few years ago and he just confirmed what lots of us suspected already: VR gaming is not gonna happen,it's just a waste of resources at this point.

So Matt can't be wrong? Matt is the absolute point of view because of NPD? I think it's ridiculous to put Matt on a pedestal. Moreover Sony's numbers matter because you commented:

A bit off topic but i fully agree with Mat here,Sony should give up on new VR with PS5:

Mass market VR gaming is just not gonna happen.

In regards to Sony, if they're happy with their VR sales numbers in their fiscal report, why kill their own VR efforts. VR gaming is happening and it's not going away any time soon, at least not over night.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I don't find any reason to agree with this as a gamer. I am not Sony to care about sales and money.
As a gamer, I hope that they will continue investing in the best thing happened in gaming, since ps1/saturn/M64 era.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If Oculus and HTC continue to improve and release new VR headsets, no reason why Sony shouldn't continue to improve PSVR with a new headset.

PSVR hardware sold decent enough, especially compared to Rift and Vive and they also sold a lot of VR games too, so definitely no reason to quit now.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't find any reason to agree with this as a gamer. I am not Sony to care about sales and money.
As a gamer, I hope that they will continue investing in the best thing happened in gaming, since ps1/saturn/M64 era.

Agreed. VR owns, is growing, and will only continue to grow with the advent of cheaper wireless solutions, foveated rendering, etc that make it more accessible. We're in the 'giant eighties brick phones' era right now.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Because not even the hardware maker was expecting such a thing from it?
The hardware manufacturers likely thought their sales would start slow and pick up. Seams to me that sales arnt picking up, and Matt's data show that they likely never will. Nothing weird in the slightest by his statment. IMO VR will always be very niche and never have mass market appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.