• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
The hardware manufacturers likely thought their sales would start slow and pick up. Seams to me that sales arnt picking up, and Matt's data show that they likely never will. Nothing weird in the slightest by his statment. IMO VR will always be very niche and never have mass market appeal.

Even if it does remain 'niche', I'm glad Sony are still prepared to fund it.

Feb 23, 2019
A bit off topic but i fully agree with Mat here,Sony should give up on new VR with PS5:

Mass market VR gaming is just not gonna happen.

I completely DISAGREE.

VR is not some massive investment on Sony's part. They aren't selling it at a loss. It really doesn't tie up any major resources for the company. Saying VR is never going to be mass market is completely short sighted. It's like saying Electric Vehicles will never be mass market circa 2010 or now. In both cases, there are hurdles to overcome, but once they are...hold tight. It will definitely change the industry. Right now, I think the major hurdles are:

1) Quality - needs improved resolution / horsepower.
2) Ease of use -- too many things to set up.

Next gen we will see a big improvement in both areas. The upside to VR is that if you're not continually invested you will get left behind by whoever takes it mainstream. By the PS6 gen, it could very well replace traditional TV screens for gaming.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I never was interested in VR. Therefore as for Sony I would keep it as separate accessory and would not force it to the customer like MS did with the Kinect at the beginning of this generation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The thing is, PSVR has sold around 4 million units. that is not nearly as small as some people are trying to make it.
and with a next gen PSVR, with less cable management, inside out tracking (no need for camera accessory), higher resolution screen, and foveated rendering, PSVR2 has a much bigger sales potential.
I never was interested in VR. Therefore as for Sony I would keep it as separate accessory and would not force it to the customer like MS did with the Kinect at the beginning of this generation.
i am sure they wont do it, as they already saw what that did for MS.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The hardware manufacturers likely thought their sales would start slow and pick up. Seams to me that sales arnt picking up, and Matt's data show that they likely never will. Nothing weird in the slightest by his statment. IMO VR will always be very niche and never have mass market appeal.
Sony already said VR will be a slow burn and they are in it for the long run, I'm not sure how anyone can claim or has data that shows VR will never reach the mass market while everyone and their mother are screaming streaming will be the future and consoles will die, the tech is still new and it will grow in the future.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I completely DISAGREE.

VR is not some massive investment on Sony's part. They aren't selling it at a loss. It really doesn't tie up any major resources for the company. Saying VR is never going to be mass market is completely short sighted. It's like saying Electric Vehicles will never be mass market circa 2010 or now. In both cases, there are hurdles to overcome, but once they are...hold tight. It will definitely change the industry. Right now, I think the major hurdles are:

1) Quality - needs improved resolution / horsepower.
2) Ease of use -- too many things to set up.

Next gen we will see a big improvement in both areas. The upside to VR is that if you're not continually invested you will get left behind by whoever takes it mainstream. By the PS6 gen, it could very well replace traditional TV screens for gaming.
That equivalent would be VR mass market in 2030

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
[QUOTE="modiz, post: 19176953, member: inside out tracking (no need for camera accessory)[/QUOTE]

Would it be possible for the PSVR2 to use both of these for even more accurate tracking? I was thinking about how, if the PS5 is going to able to work with the current PSVR for the sake of BC (as well as just offering customers more options), it'll need a PlayStation Camera port. It would be cool if using the camera with PSVR2 was an optional thing to improve quality, kind of like when fighting game players use wired arcade sticks and TVs set to Game Mode to keep input lag at a minimum.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is, PSVR has sold around 4 million units. that is not nearly as small as some people are trying to make it.
and with a next gen PSVR, with less cable management, inside out tracking (no need for camera accessory), higher resolution screen, and foveated rendering, PSVR2 has a much bigger sales potential.

Most definitely, but I think the biggest thing that will get people on board will be the games. A lot of the tech you mentioned will of course help to make the games even better, but I think next gen is going to see a much larger selection of games with the option to play through in VR ala Resident Evil 7. Imagine GTA6 with optional VR mode for instance :)

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Mat just said this in the other thread about VR:

Not just looking at sales data (which has been and remains not great). Also looking at player engagement data we collect via 5k sample size survey, and even looking at peripheral numbers like Google Trends. Interest peaked in early 2017 and continues to fall off, despite innovations and lower priced headsets entering the market.

Maybe those things you mention will move the needle. Guessing none of those are going to make gaming VR a mass market success. Doesn't mean it can't find a nice niche in the market. Just a whole lot of money still being dumped into gaming VR and I can't figure out why. That money could fund a whole assortment of gaming products that have a higher likelihood of ROI.

Consistency is key. Means my analysis has been on the right track for some time.

Feb 23, 2019
There hasn't been any major innovations to PSVR since it released

The major innovations will be better integration, less cable management, smaller visor, and improved quality

PSVR was kind of early, but made sense to get the bell rolling. It's not tying up massive resources and sometimes the ROI won't be seen when you first deliver the tech.

Short term thinking to abandon VR

AstroBot proves its potential

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
Based on Mat's logic, why are MS and Google investing so much in an already "failed" technology like game streaming...? Maybe sometimes companies need to be more forward-looking and not just write stuff off prematurely? No reason that VR can't improve with every iteration.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
VR is here to stay. Im using my PSVR since release and it's still one of my favorite gaming systems. It will not kill 2d gaming, it's kinda like back when we had N64 and the Game Boy.

These are two different platforms to experience two different kind of games.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I think it's fair to say that we're at least less than a year away from the next gen consoles being announced, whether its E3 2019, PSX 2019 or Feb 2020 at the latest.

Unless the team 2021 underdogs were right all along.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I hope everyone keeps pushing forward with VR. I really want it to continue to grow and develop because I'm excited by it's future. If MS releases a headset for Anaconda with an open platform like on Windows, I'm in.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
my prob with psvr is after I am done, I have to jam it in my cabinet and all the cables get cluttered, its just a mess...
need some sort of wireless version that you can place on a charging mat (clean look).

Feb 10, 2018
It would be nice if PSVR1 had some PS5 VR games for it.
PSVR is still a pretty great piece of hardware, it's has hardly no screen door and the screen image is clear.
It will be great if they make some AA + AAA PS5 games for IT.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
my prob with psvr is after I am done, I have to jam it in my cabinet and all the cables get cluttered, its just a mess...
need some sort of wireless version that you can place on a charging mat (clean look).

They will be able to do this eventually, there's already a wireless adapter for the Vive. The hope is that PSVR2 will have a more built-in solution, though the costs could be too great. Might need to wait on it.

PSVR is still a pretty great piece of hardware, it's has hardly no screen door and the screen image is clear.

It could potentially be done, though I think it's more likely some PS4 VR games could get PS5 modes with doubled framerates and nicer visuals. Which would be petty good anyway, really.

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 doesn't launch with PSVR2 it better support PSVR1 hardware.

The key technological advancement VR needs is eye tracking to really benefit from foveated rendering. That will allow devs to make PSVR versions without having to compromise their games too much.

Feb 10, 2018
They will be able to do this eventually, there's already a wireless adapter for the Vive. The hope is that PSVR2 will have a more built-in solution, though the costs could be too great. Might need to wait on it.

It could potentially be done, though I think it's more likely some PS4 VR games could get PS5 modes with doubled framerates and nicer visuals. Which would be petty good anyway, really.

The real problem with VR is software, it needs more compelling games.
But VR companies are taking the slowly slowly approach.

If PS5 doesn't launch with PSVR2 it better support PSVR1 hardware.

The key technological advancement VR needs is eye tracking to really benefit from foveated rendering. That will allow devs to make PSVR versions without having to compromise their games too much.
Sony would be stupid not to make PSVR1 compatible with PS5, one of the main issues with VR is lack of install base, have a cheaper PSVR1 will increase the PlayStation VR ecosystem for PS5.
Once the install base is bigger (10million) 3rd parties will invest more and there will more better games which will further increase the install base.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The real problem with VR is software, it needs more compelling games.
But VR companies are taking the slowly slowly approach.

I feel there's a lot worth getting - Skyrim VR, RE7, Astro Bot, Beat Saber and Creed for fitness. But yeah, there needs to be more AAA VR.

I do think new features for the headset are important too, though. Wireless, foveated rendering, etc. I'd like to see devs take more advantage of PSVR2 as a personal TV, as well. VR modes are most important, but non-VR games getting a 60fps Ultra-wide 3D mode for use in the headset would be a great value-add. The idea of playing Spider-Man in smooth 3D is intoxicating.

Feb 10, 2018
I feel there's a lot worth getting - Skyrim VR, RE7, Astro Bot, Beat Saber and Creed for fitness. But yeah, there needs to be more AAA VR.

I do think new features for the headset are important too, though. Wireless, foveated rendering, etc. I'd like to see devs take more advantage of PSVR2 as a personal TV, as well. VR modes are most important, but non-VR games getting a 60fps Ultra-wide 3D mode for use in the headset would be a great value-add. The idea of playing Spider-Man in smooth 3D is intoxicating.

Yes I agree there are some good games for VR but in comparison to other platforms it is still seriously lacking.
Big adoption with VR will happen when there is a Similer flow of games to popular consoles and PC.
Shawn layden has even said that they need to take a loss on big games in order to sell PSVR.
They need to get naughty dog to make a VR game, there experience with story and set pieces, I think will translate really well with VR, plus ND will be able to set a visual benchmark for VR.
Oculus are doing a good job, with games like lone echo and robo recall. Those are the type of games which I think will resonate well, but the rift is costly.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Why should we care about Sony's fiscal year? Mat is an analyst:he sees and analyzes VR sales numbers since that thing was launched few years ago and he just confirmed what lots of us suspected already: VR gaming is not gonna happen,it's just a waste of resources at this point.
On PC maybe but not on PS where its been successful.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's fair to say that we're at least less than a year away from the next gen consoles being announced, whether its E3 2019, PSX 2019 or Feb 2020 at the latest.

Unless the team 2021 underdogs were right all along.
Hey the systems can be more powerful if it's 2021 and even though I may be hoping for that I'm not gonna be mad or not be there day 1 if they release in 2020. Things are just starting to feel dated on PS4 for me. Feels like an eternity ago I was playing my PS3.

Im fully expecting Fall 2020 (please be before November though)

Jan 21, 2019
Hey the systems can be more powerful if it's 2021 and even though I may be hoping for that I'm not gonna be mad or not be there day 1 if they release in 2020. Things are just starting to feel dated on PS4 for me. Feels like an eternity ago I was playing my PS3.

Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima look dated to you?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima look dated to you?
Oh I meant feel dated as in I've had the actual hardware for awhile and I want some new next gen controllers, ps camera, and mind blowing graphics. Then again I need a new tv before i would see any of that lol

Besides my main point was that I CAN wait until 2021 but realistically believe it's gonna be 2020

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

I'm personally predicting a PSX 2019 reveal to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the playstation brand and a November 2020 release.

Jan 21, 2019
Oh I meant feel dated as in I've had the actual hardware for awhile and I want some new next gen controllers, ps camera, and mind blowing graphics. Then again I need a new tv before i would see any of that lol

Besides my main point was that I CAN wait until 2021 but realistically believe it's gonna be 2020

Oh sorry, yeah I totally feel you. I am totally willing to wait until 2021 but I also want some new toys very bad. I want to wait, but I can't wait. I want to see what Horizon 2 looks like.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm personally predicting a PSX 2019 reveal to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the playstation brand and a November 2020 release.
I just they would get the preorder/release rush outta the way BEFORE the holidays so they could get a SECOND massive rush when November hits. I think that an October or September release could get them millions more sales in the first 4 months than a November one would

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I think just about everyone would choke if the next gen systems were under 10.2 TF at this point, so in my view it's a safe bet we can expect at least 12.

That's quite jump from an arbitrary 10.2 to 12 TF. The only concrete spec for technically "next gen" system is Stadia at 10.7TF with orders of magnitude better CPU. From where did you procure your assumed values?

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know. The 10.7 TF is just for starters, for a single user - It can scale to three GPUs for a single user/instance, that's 32.1 TF, on the current generation of Google's server hardware.

Imagine the kind of graphics that could be done if 32.1 TFlops was targeted at games running at "just" 4K 60fps.

n4E2Oyn.jpg

Imagine that level of fidelity, in-game.

This was running on 4 Nvidia GTX Titan X (Maxwell) cards in 2015. That's 28 teraflops in total.

Should be no problem for 3 Vega 56 class AMD GPUs in 2019 forward, not to mention newer GPUs as Google upgrades.

28 teraflops?

So we'll have to wait for PS7/XboxFour so game graphics impress us again?

Why devs show us these advanced tech demos in the first place if is something that we'll never see at home at in least in 15 more years?

Expectations goes very very low for next-gen if the bar is 8 teraflops.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
28 teraflops?

So we'll have to wait for PS7/XboxFour so game graphics impress us again?

Why devs show us these advanced tech demos in the first place if is something that we'll never see at home at in least in 15 more years?

Expectations goes very very low for next-gen if the bar is 8 teraflops.
Well hang on even at 8TF next gen is over 4x what last gen was (base PS4)

So 4x8=32! Ps6 is at least 32TF confirmed! Hopefully they get at least 128gb of ram in there or the bottle neck will be real

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite jump from an arbitrary 10.2 to 12 TF. The only concrete spec for technically "next gen" system is Stadia at 10.7TF with orders of magnitude better CPU. From where did you procure your assumed values?

Hours considering CU count and clock speed, and their contributions to die size and heat/power requirements, respectively.

Nah, it's tails from their ass, prompted by hopes and dreams

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a history of half-assing tech innovation, and then letting competitors make the money after they execute much better than Sony. Just with Playstation, Eyetoy and Streaming are good examples.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Sony bailed on VR and let another company make it popular, but I hope they follow through for once.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
Sony has a history of half-assing tech innovation, and then letting competitors make the money after they execute much better than Sony. Just with Playstation, Eyetoy and Streaming are good examples.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Sony bailed on VR and let another company make it popular, but I hope they follow through for once.

.... The hell????

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

DO you have any clue what your talking about? They have like over 4 million PSVR's out in the wild. Which is huge when compared to VR headset sales for VIVE, OCULOUS.

PSVR did as many as both those combined. It's not going anywhere. They even made it use the MOVE which is old as shit now. They find ways to use tech that may be dead.

And yes they have made products in the past that ended up dying. PSP GO, and PS TV are ones that come to mind. But VR, they are in it for the long haul.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yea that ship has long sailed . Now I m starting to move from March 2020 to November 2020.
Never understood why it has to be November if not spring. If they want the most sales in the initial period why not release a month or two before the holiday sales? That way they can get all those preorder customers and the first couple million early adopters outta the way THEN hit that holiday rush and a few million more

Never made sense to me why they like to release right when sales would be high anyway

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Hours considering CU count and clock speed, and their contributions to die size and heat/power requirements, respectively.

Nah, it's tails from their ass, prompted by hopes and dreams

Tales from my ass confirmed

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
DO you have any clue what your talking about? They have like over 4 million PSVR's out in the wild. Which is huge when compared to VR headset sales for VIVE, OCULOUS.

PSVR did as many as both those combined. It's not going anywhere. They even made it use the MOVE which is old as shit now. They find ways to use tech that may be dead.

And yes they have made products in the past that ended up dying. PSP GO, and PS TV are ones that come to mind. But VR, they are in it for the long haul.
Chill. I agree that they should continue to invest because they have done a good job so far and made great content. I think NPD Matt should be ignored on this. I was merely pointing out that they don't have a good track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.