• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that this image is based on a downscaled version of the original upload, generated by the 4chan board software. You can get a slightly higher-quality version of this picture if you modify the link found on 4chan:

1553552867344u7k4s.jpg

For comparison the downscaled version:

Thanks, it's much better, after watching this on my phone and zooming it looks there is a problem with the round button, even with the perspective it should not be like that and for the cross button, you can see blue color on the outside of button (the line towards the square).

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I see two things here... one, when we actually get the real leaks we probably wouldn't believe it either.

And two.... the only leak we will believe has to be something that fits a certain preconceived spec.... Basically, RAM 16GB - 20GB +/- 4GB DDR4 for OS, CPU clocked at 2.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz, GPU (max 60CU) clocked at 1.2Ghz to 1.5Ghz.

I think any leaker should just make sure their specs alls within that range and they will be fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Even fall 2020 might be out if nothing has been shared at GDC this year. PS4 and Xbox One had stuff leak out of GDC 2012 (codenames etc).

Still lots of confusion. There is lots of talk of Microsoft doing a Scorpio-level Scarlett reveal at E3 but then why would they do that and allow Sony time to respond if they are also late 2020? I would have thought Microsoft would only go first if they knew Sony was beating them to release ala PS4 Pro?

Many twists to come I think.
I like a good twist!

Both 2019 and 2020 cats being wrong would be funny.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I am tired of the dualshock controller. It's not that amazing of a design to be mostly unchanged for four generations. I hate how loosely I have to hold it with my giant man hands.
The face buttons are synonymous with the brand now and considering mostly everyone has copied their basic layout (2 sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, dpad on the left, 4 face buttons front, a couple in the middle) or copied the snes for some of those I don't see it changing soon. I do wish they wouldn't have the triggers uncovered on the bottom and would make the light bar have an option to be off next time. Also the sticks could be more concave rather than just have the edge on them

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
You won't even notice if you just get sekiro now. Go for platinum and you should finish just in time for fall 2021

I'll probably get it during the Steam Winter Sale, I don't have a PS4. Planning to get a 5 and play the new exclusives, and play all the PS4 greats there.

PC+PS5 will be the way to go for me, especially if Microsoft keep releasing their games on Steam. Or fix their Store.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
The face buttons are synonymous with the brand now and considering mostly everyone has copied their basic layout (2 sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, dpad on the left, 4 face buttons front, a couple in the middle) or copied the snes for some of those I don't see it changing soon. I do wish they wouldn't have the triggers uncovered on the bottom and would make the light bar have an option to be off next time. Also the sticks could be more concave rather than just have the edge on them
I agree with the guy you are quoting. The controller is way too small for people with big hands. I like the layout but the thing is too small.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I got a long rambling answer to my questions:

1. The only thing I can say
It is a Discrete CPU and GPU and they are both on an I/o die surrounded by GDDR6 and DDR4 modules. A good friend of me mentioned it uses technology like AMDs Epyc based on Zen 2.
2. Yes Navi will be a monolithic chip. But combine such a GPU over 10 Teraflops with a Zen 2 CPU plus Custom Features and MC will be expensive in 7nm. The yield rate it is not good currently for such huge chips. Apple A12 and other SOC yes but not for such price-sensitive and huge APUs. To reduce the costs and improve the yield rate the CPU and GPU will be in 7nm the IF in 14nm. The costs for 7nm is for AMD and NVIDIA really high currently. To avoid such problems AMD try's to link future CPU Modules with IF, i/o dies as well as in the near future GPUs. The use of a Infinity fabric and i/o dies reduces costs by improving the yield rate and they can increase computation performance easier without developing huge monolithic chips.
There are no multiple GPUs so far as I known. AMD is putting since Zen a lot of money to use chiplets of GPUs. But the current R&D is not ready for it.
There are no multiple GPU on the MCM module of PS5. It only one Discrete NAVI GPU with Custom features. And only one CPU with 8 cores like RuthenCookie mentioned.
Yes because of yield. The PS4 GPU has 8 ACEs and 64 Queues for a huge amount of GPGPU potential.
So, therefore is no need for a bigger cache. Draw calls will be fine. It will be a generational leap forward in CPU performance bigger than ps2 to PS3. A fiasco like Ubisofts Unity will not happen again. CPU is since PS4 less important than the Gpu. But the CPU of PS5 will be not a disappointment.
I really don't know it exactly but I know Sony is experimenting with some new cooling solutions there is a patent on the internet. But it will be higher than the original PS4 also because of the IF.
6+7. Sorry I cannot comment on this in detail because it is confidential. But it will be a custom I/O die which a low latency. AMD worked with Sony very deeply on it. PS5 will be the first System with such a powerful GPU on an I/O die.
8. I think you don't understood me. It is not the final price. It is the price point.
Companies like Sony set a price point in the early days of developing before any contract is signed with AMD. It is a point which the whole developing of the console circles around. A good friend said this to me. It is the first early price point that Sony made beginning and during the development.
It is NOT the FINAL price. Because so many things can change. For my apologies, I had it define better.
Because it is not set in stone. But to be more clear it will me more than 10 Terflops. Sony works very hard to achieve more than 12 Teraflops. The interesting thing is that Navi will be not a pure GCN GPU. AMD is developing NAVI with gaming focus. Navi in PS5 is a hybrid of old GCN architecture and the new one. Like PS4 Pro GPU. GCN is on the Limits. To avoid those limits AMD integrate some features from their new architecture and improve the CU. The GPU is wonderful. It is a sweet piece of silicon with a focus on Gaming Computation Performance and a New Deep Feature set, GPGPU capabilities and GPU is powerful enough for Raytracing.
That's all I can say.
Well. Sony is really trying to put more than 12 GB GDDR6 into the console. But GDDR6 is currently expensive. They not pay the prices like consumers so it could be possible that 16 GB of GDDR6 will be in the final.
But currently devkit has 32 GB total. Divided in GDDR6 and DDR4.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
MS shouldn't reveal the next-gen Xbox early. They should build hype for the next-gen Xbox early. Show us a game or two at E3 that looks out of the realm of possibility for Xbox One. Don't announce a platform, just get people talking. Disregarding the downgrade, look at how much hype Watch Dogs had after its reveal at E3 2012. Ubisoft played coy so well. That's what MS should do, IMHO.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well, it's fun watching this stuff on Reddit. I'm a layman, so most things are going over my head.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
MS shouldn't reveal the next-gen Xbox early. They should build hype for the next-gen Xbox early. Show us a game or two at E3 that looks out of the realm of possibility for Xbox One. Don't announce a platform, just get people talking. Disregarding the downgrade, look at how much hype Watch Dogs had after its reveal at E3 2012. Ubisoft played coy so well. That's what MS should do, IMHO.
What are your thoughts on an E3 2019 next gen Xbox reveal similar to project Scorpio's announcement? Spec announcement, target release year and a bunch of next gen games etc.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
What are your thoughts on an E3 2019 next gen Xbox reveal similar to project Scorpio's announcement? Spec announcement, target release year and a bunch of next gen games etc.
If it's releasing in Fall 2020, then they shouldn't reveal so much info this early. They can get the hype train moving by showing off a next-gen game or two. Something like Halo Infinite gameplay on next-gen.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
If it's releasing in Fall 2020, then they shouldn't reveal so much info this early. They can get the hype train moving by showing off a next-gen game or two. Something like Halo Infinite gameplay on next-gen.

Fair enough, Would love to see how many games shown at Microsoft conference will be on their next gen console, predicting at least 60% - 70% of games shown are next gen, maybe less though if their not ready.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Fair enough, Would love to see how many games shown at Microsoft conference will be on their next gen console, predicting at least 60% - 70% of games shown are next gen, maybe less though if their not ready.
Remember, Xbox One still has one more Holiday season left. And it's got a few big exclusives (Gears 5, Ori, Battletoads) coming up for that. A lot of the focus will be on those games.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a long rambling answer to my questions:

If this persons source is correct I can see a situation that might make sense based on what they are saying. I will take for granted the GPU and GDDR6 memory controller have to be on the same die. That said, there could easily be a CPU chiplet AND an I/O+DDR4 memory controller connected to each other and the GPU via infinity fabric. The DDR4 and I/O chip could easily be done on an older process. This arrangement would not actually require an Interposer, it would be a pretty standard MCM like Zen 2 is already using across the board.

Here's a quick diagram:
MacD8u9BhQ8PHC3F1hwRA-ydstqbz3QyWrsSIIuCY3LYoFt7Dk0qTrskGoKu0EambpVdRWH_ZdipZLmWDhoqdl0cvQBvBL5HqbQBLawMbxPQEnBOH4EmANvCWVNdrktZ7qJw92lUNycnFshDYdmT-ZeitQlSeahq3B2v1quB_G7LEiqhh4W1yrZLCmOj9N75GDyG6GK6x5v0zjKMt0E2gUJzwjYcRJGTirG8EJoyu1fcJdxxzycOM6av9kITDe3HX_dVkPCBTuec76jC1ESKUalic8AIxhZpaCaB9zTs4pDB577ZC45Xlz4DPH_4X_aJxb-w8s2kJvDHKWREnmxbbTEs_jH-kfyihLEXBS9fEAgqjOQFiQol4Hdf8Ae406-9HuLAtW-qJuu1OlAMeIKjQezsMulD6wRSrKi-_yJtezugQSflh7EXZlER7FgTPIy3y1qKwAX9Lh6RMt4y2tCLOSZYKCbmdb_K-w_7btvC9rIMLvAl1qaq9qnUpYlQcF9EsthCrbznKuF70jYa6v9mf0HQV4IE-HMdFtD7nMRIyTic_lZ0jBsn9p0DNSIhGvee-jpE9NT8wbxfVrkf1lpym2JQj79YZMKfl3S9Ye0elmnrVEVZJE0420QYi0VarOppb9v4KVadI4g5BpMlpA6-2mrfgdqXlcLC=w740-h538-no

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If this persons source is correct I can see a situation that might make sense based on what they are saying. I will take for granted the GPU and GDDR6 memory controller have to be on the same die. That said, there could easily be a CPU chiplet AND an I/O+DDR4 memory controller connected to each other and the GPU via infinity fabric. The DDR4 and I/O chip could easily be done on an older process. This arrangement would not actually require an Interposer, it would be a pretty standard MCM like Zen 2 is already using across the board.

Here's a quick diagram:
MacD8u9BhQ8PHC3F1hwRA-ydstqbz3QyWrsSIIuCY3LYoFt7Dk0qTrskGoKu0EambpVdRWH_ZdipZLmWDhoqdl0cvQBvBL5HqbQBLawMbxPQEnBOH4EmANvCWVNdrktZ7qJw92lUNycnFshDYdmT-ZeitQlSeahq3B2v1quB_G7LEiqhh4W1yrZLCmOj9N75GDyG6GK6x5v0zjKMt0E2gUJzwjYcRJGTirG8EJoyu1fcJdxxzycOM6av9kITDe3HX_dVkPCBTuec76jC1ESKUalic8AIxhZpaCaB9zTs4pDB577ZC45Xlz4DPH_4X_aJxb-w8s2kJvDHKWREnmxbbTEs_jH-kfyihLEXBS9fEAgqjOQFiQol4Hdf8Ae406-9HuLAtW-qJuu1OlAMeIKjQezsMulD6wRSrKi-_yJtezugQSflh7EXZlER7FgTPIy3y1qKwAX9Lh6RMt4y2tCLOSZYKCbmdb_K-w_7btvC9rIMLvAl1qaq9qnUpYlQcF9EsthCrbznKuF70jYa6v9mf0HQV4IE-HMdFtD7nMRIyTic_lZ0jBsn9p0DNSIhGvee-jpE9NT8wbxfVrkf1lpym2JQj79YZMKfl3S9Ye0elmnrVEVZJE0420QYi0VarOppb9v4KVadI4g5BpMlpA6-2mrfgdqXlcLC=w740-h538-no
I tried to help by saying that GDDR6 bandwidth is not feasible over IF, making it clear they didn't grasp that.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to help by saying that GDDR6 bandwidth is not feasible over IF, making it clear they didn't grasp that.

It's not uncommon for leaks to come from people who don't fully understand the info they've heard. The first Xbox One spec leak in 2011 was from someone who though the CPU had 1.2TF of FPU power, when that was, in fact, referencing the GPU at the time. At the same time they thought the PS4 specs were like an "eMachines crap PC". You have to sift through what they're saying to find what it could actually mean.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's not uncommon for leaks to come from people who don't fully understand the info they've heard. The first Xbox One spec leak in 2011 was from someone who though the CPU had 1.2TF of FPU power, when that was, in fact, referencing the GPU at the time. At the same time they thought the PS4 specs were like an "eMachines crap PC". You have to sift through what they're saying to find what it could actually mean.
True, and this is not the first time we've heard 800 GB/s bandwidth. The other technical details outside of MCM arrangement are consistent.

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
True, and this is not the first time we've heard 800 GB/s bandwidth. The other technical details outside of MCM arrangement are consistent.
I feel like if there's any one part of the spec that Sony is going to push it's RAM bandwidth. Cerny seems to care a lot about it when listening to him talk about designing the PS4.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I've just seen the UE4 Ray-Tracing session from GDC and they've talked about best and worst RT cases. The worst case for RT reflection is complex shaders, small holes (like in a fence or vegetation), closed environments and reflections that aren't 100% rough or 0% rough (so any value between them). So they've said that the easiest environment to render with RT reflections is a city with simple reflection shaders that are 0% rough, no vegetation and is built from simple and thick geometrical shapes. Sounds familiar? Yeah, it's basically the Cryengine demo :)

So if someone wondered how Crytek got RT to run on a Vega 56, they just used lower quality reflections than the RTX games and then created the easiest environment for RT while doing an on-rails camera in a really small level that will never represent a game that isn't something like Heavy Rain.

tvto1jz.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EekCn4wed1E

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Unless they know they are Sony exclusives I don't see how many games that are in development is that relevant.

(still think Sony could announce this year but don't agree with the reasoning)

That isnt anywhere near my only reason for PS5 reveal this year

I'm very confident in it

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Wonder if any of the those might be delayed for a next gen launch.
very doubtful. Also ninja theory's next game big game is supposed to be March 2020ish. They have been working on a game for 5ish years.

Halo infinite and a forza game are sure to be launch titles. Possibly ninja's next game, Or a game from one of their other studios. I don't think they need to delay any of their 2019 games.

Benji regarding some other relevant events taking place this year

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear this isnt leaking stuff. I am not aware of a planned PS5 reveal event for this year.

However there are going to be some major things happening this year that I would be stunned if Sony waited it out.

If people are mad at Sonys silence now they will be furious by the end of the year considering what's on the horizon

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
To be clear this isnt leaking stuff. I am not aware of a planned PS5 reveal event for this year.

However there are going to be some major things happening this year that I would be stunned if Sony waited it out.

If people are mad at Sonys silence now they will be furious by the end of the year considering what's on the horizon
Ominous.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

This sounds super negative. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.