• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I suppose Sony's silence in the face of a potential next-gen Xbox reveal this year, and the Switch Pro launch, would definitely result in a pissed off fanbase.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious that MS will be talking next-gen plans at E3 2019 in some capacity and people will want to hear that stuff from Sony too, so if there's no PS5 talk this year then fanxiety will only get worse.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear this isnt leaking stuff. I am not aware of a planned PS5 reveal event for this year.

However there are going to be some major things happening this year that I would be stunned if Sony waited it out.

If people are mad at Sonys silence now they will be furious by the end of the year considering what's on the horizon
Wha the fuck does this mean!?! Goddamnit I'm scared!

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose Sony's silence in the face of a potential next-gen Xbox reveal this year, and the Switch Pro launch, would definitely result in a pissed off fanbase.
I think it's pretty obvious that MS will be talking next-gen plans at E3 2019 in some capacity and people will want to hear that stuff from Sony too, so if there's no PS5 talk this year then fanxiety will only get worse.
Which has made me back away from the community more and more. This forum, Discord, etc... There is just way too much whining and crying and panic over nothing. All these fits only for Sony to eventually talk about their plans and everything is back to "normal" (which is basically a lesser version of the whining and crying lol).

I just get tired of it. It isn't that hard to be a reasonable adult.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which has made me back away from the community more and more. This forum, Discord, etc... There is just way too much whining and crying and panic over nothing. All these fits only for Sony to eventually talk about their plans and everything is back to "normal" (which is basically a lesser version of the whining and crying lol).

Gamers are a fickle bunch.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Next Xbox this year would be interesting but honestly out of anyone I feel MS needs it to release their device the earliest and wouldn't be surprised by a 2019 release

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Just think of it as rooting for sports teams.

It makes it all so much more enjoyable.

Like how the Boston Celtics fandom has been so chaotic this year, despite the team playing good~~~

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018

You would hope so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be clear this isnt leaking stuff. I am not aware of a planned PS5 reveal event for this year.

However there are going to be some major things happening this year that I would be stunned if Sony waited it out.

If people are mad at Sonys silence now they will be furious by the end of the year considering what's on the horizon

What I got from this is Microsoft is going to announce NextBox this year

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017

The megaton I've been waiting for. Doesn't matter which console. I just love megatons!

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

200.gif

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand

This reads like Sony keeping their big cards super tight to their chest and drip feeding all year ready to lay down the Aces start of next year.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Of course Sony fans would be pist off by silence. Nintendo gunna release a moblie switch, and a more powerful one along with some good games. Microsoft gunna announce a new console and at least 2 studio acquisitions.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Sweet finally some spark in this thread. The joy of anticipation always gets me. It is pure bliss to speculate and read other peoples speculation.

Benji making me hyped for this year. Though it sounds like he is confident Sony does something late late this year in terms of revealing the PS5.

As far as Sonys silence goes I don't think too much about it. It is hard to read something into it. Lets be honest here the PS4 is amazing so far and the three big games for PS4 that are still to come out look like straight fire. They announced them pretty early, which can be good and can be bad. However you want to look at it. I wonder if there are any other not-yet-announced AAA exclusive games for PS4.

To be fair I might be more chill than console-only gamer because I will be buying a new PC this year, but damn I am HYPED for next gen and the remaining big PS4 games.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
honestly speaking I hope both the next Xbox and PS5 have good specs and/are similar to each other in a good spec way

since multiplat ambitions and scale is based on the lowest common denominator

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Next Xbox and PS5 won't release until late 2020, so announcing them at E3 19 or in early 2020 is irrelevant. Don't see why PlayStation fans should be angry.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I wouldn't say a thing about PS5 if I didn't plan to say anything about PS5 this year. The only reason that would change is if someone is launching a product before I planned to talk about PS5. That doesn't include the Switch refresh.

That said, nothing planned yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Though Sony knew months ago they weren't going to E3, so who knows.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So just to confirm, you don't know for sure Sony are talking about PS5 this year, but you are confident they will?

Yep.

Considering other things happening across the industry this year I do expect them to reveal.

This is not me claiming I have knowledge they will, I dont. But yeah I'd be pretty stunned if they don't

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
You have to remeber we are in the short reveal to launch era.

Anything more than a few months gets prople bored; although you still can drop stuff early for strategic, kill-the-other-company's-hype reasons like MS does all the time.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder though if Sony reveals PS5 this year, it will be a long way until its release (considering a Holiday 2020 launch). I thought companies were trying to make the reveal-launch period as short as possible? Like Nintendo with Switch.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Next Xbox and PS5 won't release until late 2020, so announcing them at E3 19 or in early 2020 is irrelevant. Don't see why PlayStation fans should be angry.

People like announcements and surprises. Makes them feel good about their purchase and keeps imaginations flowing. Thing is Sony showed a vast majority of their plans three years ago and now they're just ticking things off the list until next gen. Makes them very boring. And with Microsoft being very active making sure they have a world destroyer of a console and game plan Sony's silence creates a lot of uncertainty among fans. People in general hate that feeling and want to be reassured.

Feb 10, 2018
Correct.

I like to think its educated speculation as I'm not just randomly posting this. There are very real things going on that lead me to this conclusion

But dont take this as fact by any means.

Gotcha, thought you might of been basing your opinion on some inside knowledge.
But you are basing your speculation on public knowledge.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
People like announcements and surprises. Makes them feel good about their purchase and keeps imaginations flowing. Thing is Sony showed a vast majority of their plans three years ago and now they're just ticking things off the list until next gen. Makes them very boring. And with Microsoft being very active making sure they have a world destroyer of a console and game plan Sony's silence creates a lot of uncertainty among fans. People in general hate that feeling and want to be reassured.

It is the akward readjustment period from the old long tail pr cycle and the new immediate gratificatin one. MS is doing a very good job at poking this wound, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.