• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asked a couple of people who would know. They both said it's fake.
THX JASON!
tenor.gif

Jdogg4089

Jan 28, 2019
And those can be copied post hardware launch. Next gen will likely be even closer than this gen has been, and if crossplay becomes more of a thing, lines will be further blurred.
When sony releases the heredic, that GDC Tech demo, as a game then that is next gen for me. Us sony fanatics come for the game and everything else comes second.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
J.Schreier take on release year and TF target

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you think about the Q1 2020 talk for PS5 release? jschreier

I gotta say that's a damn good fake though. Nothing off about it. Completely plausible design.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)
oh damn. over 10.7TF?
well i guess rip to 8TF team.

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France

Thanks for the input Jason.
Rip #team8tflops

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks again. I believe this is the first (I've seen at least) of someone saying it would be more than 10.7 TFs and this should end speculation of sub 10TFs.

I'm going in thinking 10.7 will be what it is and be pleasantly surprised when it is more

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Does this mean specs are still not finalized?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the fact jason is talking confidently means that both must be targeting above 10.7TF, then it must be 11TF at least, maybe 12TF.
which makes sense considering google is using a Vega chip.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
So the controller is a fake but Sony/MS are aiming for higher than 10tf. I will gladly exchange that controller for baseline 10tf consoles. Thanks Jason.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you chose your words carefully, but I'll ask anyway: Seems like you are willing to rule out 2019, are you able to extend that? Like what's your opinion on Q1 or H1 2020?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here we go. ALL ABOARD the 14 tflops hype train!

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No.much better than touch pad being always on and using battery.this will be on only when needed
Interesting - you already know how it's going to be used while it's not confirmed to be an actual thing? And even if it's only used at times: displays are the biggest battery drainer in such devices, this will not be an exception.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Not saying that PS5 will be out in 2019, but if they will succeed with their BC plans, you don't need many engineers for early PS5 cross-gen titles. All PS4 games would simply run on PS5, and increasing things like resolution and other settings would be very easy, comparable to the effort needed with mid-gen console support.

According to Digital Foundry, there were just 2 developers working on PS4 Pro support for Infamous: Second Son / First Light, and 1 developer that worked on PS4 Pro support for Days Gone. (link). I expect similar effort will be needed for early cross-gen titles.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

2x37fw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.