• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Time to repost my baseline prediction. Revision only contains bug fixes. Please don't ask why Anaconda and PS5 are of the same specs, these are baselines and they can be slightly different ...
I4SjlzX.png
We need an Update ASAP!

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've also been telling all of you next gen wouldn't be in 2019 for over a year. I got basically chased out of these threads because of it.

Hopefully people can be more reasonable moving forward.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so assuming the gonzalo leak is real,
we now have our CPU performance
and the low GPU performance bar (with good assumptions for the peak, like lets be real none of them will be above 15TF).
only thing is left is the ram.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Finally people can shut up about 8TF... now let's see what's the next thing those same people will be fearmongering about next!

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I think 60 CU is reasonable to expect (64 - 4 for yield) unless Navi brings something new to the table.
At 60CU, the only question that remains is the clock speed and that will heavily depend on cooling. But I think absolute max that could go into a console with the improvements that 7nm brings to the table is ~1.5GHz.

Not happening. It's 2020 for sure.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

Thank you for the details. One thing do you think there's a chance that next-gen briefings (of developers) could feasibly come closer to release this time around? That architecture continuity might mean they don't need as much lead time?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
in my opinion, the range for the PS5 based on current information is probably 11TF to 14TF, which is a much smaller range than we had before

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
If PS5 is 2020 then no way will there be a reveal or even a tease of a reveal this year IMO. That goes against everything Sony have been moving towards (Apple-like short reveal/release). If they do then it points to them being shook by the competition.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opinion of first half of 2020?

Well again something I've also been saying for a long while, as Jason just said, is that dev kits aren't widely out there. There is a chunk of next gen games in development but the specifics still aren't widely out there.

So its possible first half I guess. I still expect PS5 reveal late this year as well as other reveals. But no idea when in 2020 these are coming. No idea at all

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't post here often: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...aiming-higher-than-10-7-teraflops-gpu.107952/

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful.

The bigger question IMO is how many platforms people are going to have to ship on. Last generation's cross-platform games had to ship on five -- PS3, 360, PS4, XB1, PC -- which made people miserable and led to a lot of sacrifices. Now that number's getting even bigger thanks to mid-gen hardware refreshes and cloud platforms. That's what I think is ultimately going to hamper AAA games, not hardware restrictions.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Well again something I've also been saying for a long while, as Jason just said, is that dev kits aren't widely out there. There is a chunk of next gen games in development but the specifics still aren't widely out there.

So its possible first half I guess. I still expect PS5 reveal late this year as well as other reveals. But no idea when in 2020 these are coming. No idea at all
I don't see it coming H1 if dev kits aren't prevalent yet. Unless they're expecting everyone to build to-spec PCs.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

What do you think about this latest reddit rumor ? Totally invented ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/b5th1y/ps5_next_gen_specs/?sort=new

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The bigger question IMO is how many platforms people are going to have to ship on. Last generation's cross-platform games had to ship on five -- PS3, 360, PS4, XB1, PC -- which made people miserable and led to a lot of sacrifices. Now that number's getting even bigger thanks to mid-gen hardware refreshes and cloud platforms. That's what I think is ultimately going to hamper AAA games, not hardware restrictions.

I agree with this, cross-gen titles are going to be terrible.

Imagine a developer having to make a game that can run decently and push higher fidelity on PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and Next Xbox + PC version day and date.
This is going to be a mess.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
If PS5 is 2020 then no way will there be a reveal or even a tease of a reveal this year IMO. That goes against everything Sony have been moving towards (Apple-like short reveal/release). If they do then it points to them being shook by the competition.

They will reveal this year if they're releasing it early 2020, imo.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Zhuge told us in December(or January?) i think, that dev kits are out and that devs praised them,to paraphrase.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I've been saying that PS5 will be bare minimum twice as powerful as the One X. Makes little sense otherwise.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zhuge told us in December,i think, that dev kits are out and that devs praised them,to paraphrase.

I'd like to see the post if anyone can link it.

Again, I'm not saying dev kits don't exist. I've also commented for a very long while now there are numerous next gen games in development. But if every major studio had a PS5 dev kit none of you would need to sit here and theorize on anything. It would all leak.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'd like to see the post if anyone can link it.

Again, I'm not saying dev kits don't exist. I've also commented for a very long while now there are numerous next gen games in development. But if every major studio had a PS5 dev kit none of you would need to sit here and theorize on anything. It would all leak.
he said that in the sony first party thread let me check.
EDIT:
here
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...4-because-were-skipping-3.88555/post-17271971
PS5 dev kits are out there and I've heard positive things about it. But I wouldn't expect any information in the immediate future.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is why I don't post here often: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...aiming-higher-than-10-7-teraflops-gpu.107952/

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful.

I think the big question is if the hardware going forward is going to mitigate this by making it much more PC-like? If the rumors are true and the PS5 is natively BC with the PS4, uses iterative hardware, and uses an iterative API theoretically it should be no harder to make games for PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5 than making games work for multiple different PC configurations.

Stressing again if these rumors are true than they might not even need to release multiple SKUs, rather cobrand games like how some X360 BC games are cobranded 360/One and include a special mode to take advantage of the newer hardware.

Feb 10, 2018

I don't understand.
If they come out around Nov 2020.
How are devs going to make games for them if they don't have dev kits?
It's only 19months until Nov 2020 that is not long for developers to make games.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I don't understand.
If they come out around Nov 2020.
How are devs going to make games for them if they don't have dev kits?
It's only 19months until Nov 2020 that is not long for developers to make games.
they are probably using PCs, you dont need dev kits too far away from launch as long as you have the SDK and the architecture between the two generations isnt really that different.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Be ready for a 499$ console if that's true, i highly doubt that a console 2 times more powerful than One X will cost less than that in 2020.
By 2020 the One X will be pushing down to $299. It's already $399 with a game bundled, 20 months later it'll be ~$299 if you got rid of the game. PS5 can get to $399, margins will be very short but that's normal near launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.