• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
Yes. CPU usage of RAM lowers GPU available bandwidth more than what the CPU consumes, likely partly due to bank contention. There's a graph near the OP.

That being said, this rumor only makes sense if they're 8GB stacks. 10GB stacks (for a total of 20GB), don't exist AFAIK because you're looking for an even number of die given how the channels are constructed in the standard.

That being said, a 2048-bit HBM2 interface will actually take less die space than a 256-bit GDDR6 one. I'll also mention that if this is fake, the constructor of this rumor knows a lot about the industry to make it sound believable. Calling out TSMC's INFO_MS is clever shit.

OK thx. Interesting

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
A mix of both HBM2 and DDR4 makes no sense. Because you would also have the downside of both technologies combined.

You use HMB2 for bandwidth and power efficiency and to reduce die size, because no memory interface is needed.

In this case you still would need the 256bit memory interface for DDR4 ram on your SOC or IO chiplet and your HMB2 is low bandwidth.

But IF Sony is doing a chiplet design, this makes a little bit more sense and is not 100% unrealistic anymore. Just 95%.

But as a silicon nerd, I would love this to be true. Just because Sony and Microsoft would be sooo different

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yes. CPU usage of RAM lowers GPU available bandwidth more than what the CPU consumes, likely partly due to bank contention. There's a graph near the OP.

That being said, this rumor only makes sense if they're 8GB stacks. 10GB stacks (for a total of 20GB), don't exist AFAIK because you're looking for an even number of die given how the channels are constructed in the standard.

That being said, a 2048-bit HBM2 interface will actually take less die space than a 256-bit GDDR6 one. I'll also mention that if this is fake, the constructor of this rumor knows a lot about the industry to make it sound believable. Calling out TSMC's INFO_MS is clever shit.
Well its 8GB HBM and 16GB DDR4 (of which 4GB is reserved for OS). Would really like to know how much feasible this is though.

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to memory speeds - is ~102gb/s for the CPU good? That's ~1.6 gb a frame if you're running at 60fps, although the cache will help (especially if it's as big as Zen2's).
Well, considering thats faster than nearly every PC DDR4 solution currently (with exception to 6 channel DDR4 configurations and 4 channel of the most expensive PC DDR4) I would say whatever it is its good enough.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Basically not the same idea. The eDRAM is on the same die/silicon and the memory is connected on die. HBM2 instead is on a different die that you need to interconnect with the SOC via extra layer of silicon called Interposer. The interposer is so to say an Autobahn which provides all the lanes between the SOC and the memory. SOCs with HBM2 memory are stacked chips (2.5 Stacking).

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
More like:

PS4 199
PRO 299
PS5 399
With the new leaks from everywhere seems Sony has gone with a very capable system for ps5 hence I believe 499.last leak said it is 499 with 100 loss for Sony and most leaks point to Sony going all out on the hardware .

A 12 tf machine with Navi and ryzen 2 and hbm2 and SSD mixed with HDD .I say easily 499

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
With the new leaks from everywhere seems Sony has gone with a very capable system for ps5 hence I believe 499.last leak said it is 499 with 100 loss for Sony and most leaks point to Sony going all out on the hardware .

A 12 the machine with Navi and ryzen 2 and hbm2 and SSD mixed with HDD .I say easily 499

That's the million dollar question isn't it ;)

Leaks are either true or they aren't so we can't use them really

Edit: Of course if it's 12TF with SSD and hbm2 should be $499 but I don't think it will be that powerful

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Haha true . 399 of 2013 means 455 in 2020 though

Yes I can see it being $499 and selfishly I hope it is, but realistically I think Sony will go for $399.

If we knew the price we would be able to more or less guess the specs and the other way around, so we basically been waiting months and even years for that piece of info ha ha

Wired - PS5 first details by Sony and Mark Cerny themselves

eatstatic

Aug 29, 2018
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Interview with Cerny regarding PS5. Playstation just tweeted out the link.

It supports raytracing! "PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments."

And it's got an SSD! And 8K support.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This memory scheme sounds like a nightmare and the antithesis of the PS4. Where does the DDR4 controller sit? How much control do devs have over HBM? If you're making them manage it, have you failed?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

It supports raytracing! "PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments."

First I thought you were joking abiout but after so many leaks and anctipating analyses of techs, the chances the PS5 (and the high version of XBox) will support ray-tracing are greater than the chances they won't. In fact RT is considered the new trend and no way the big console manufacturers will overlook it and call their consoles next-gen without it.

Edit: Cerny talks about RT. This kinda confirms it. :D

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Thanks for sharing and for the heads up!

Finally some information about the PS5. SSD and RT confirmed. Shares architecture principled of the PS4. That leak we talked about the last 3 pages already debunked by that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cerny:

No 2019 launch
Zen2
Ray tracing
NAvi GPU
PS4 BC
3D audio to revolutionize gaming audio
bigger harddrive . more specilized than SSD ?(i think meaning SSD plus HDD) but SSD based

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

And it's got an SSD! And 8K support.
We've been working on this story for a year and they just ... tweeted it out

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well thank God we have a global idea of how the PS5 will be. No way the PS5 gonna be scamped. From what we got HDMI 2.1 is a full one supporting 8K sets and with RT this confirms the GPU is not a lesser one too, maybe like the leaks said, extra RT hardware is added like the NVidia Rt cores.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
summarised it in the other topic:

So, we got:
- CPU: 7nm Zen 2, 8 cores
- GPU: custom Navi, including raytracing support
- SSD + custom interfacing to massively increase bandwith (Spiderman freetravel demo: 15 seconds to 0.8 seconds)
- PS4 Backwards compatibility (other platforms not confirmed)
- Physical media
- PSVR '1' compatible
- on-chip 3D audio support

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Holy Shit, it's Mark Cerny on PS5!!!!!

Obligatory Hot Tub gif

tumblr_p978cn5WKy1wvpwqfo1_540.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.