• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my God ! O_o

Now I am starting to imagine the next game of ND. They will be the first one to sowcase RT in action on PS. Even their reflections from PS3 to PS4 are already quite very nice and very praised by the tech analysers. Now they gonna blow our minds.

Also imagine next Spider-Man with RT. *____*

I will probably wait to play Metro Exodus, SOTTR, BF5. They may get an update for PS5 to support RT. One thing that is almost sure Cyberpunk 2077 is supporting next-gen consoles (confirmed) so it may support RT too.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Well thank God we have a global idea of how the PS5 will be. No way the PS5 gonna be scamped. From what we got HDMI 2.1 is a full one supporting 8K sets and with RT this confirms the GPU is not a lesser one too, maybe like the leaks said, extra RT hardware is added like the NVidia Rt cores.

It's the same kinda RT that's been demoed on Vega and the non-turing GTXs

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty damn smart of Sony to do this, just enough info to spark excitement and speculation, and beats MS to the punch.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know, this whole Story seems strange. Why should Cerny speak this Open about PS5 at this Point ?
maybe they finally listened to fans about being tired of hush hush plans for PS5 and fact MS will announce their console in 7 weeks .they wanted to grab some attention. the interview is done in PS HQ .it doesnt get more offcial than this

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Damn. I did not expect this at all. I am so surprised by this Cerny interview that I feel like I am still sleeping and dreaming.
Great information. So hyped about PS4 BC.

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
Funny how so many people started screaming Sonys doomed when they pulled from E3 saying they were going media blackout then Cerny drops this and sits back and watched the internet melt.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Interview with Cerny regarding PS5. Playstation just tweeted out the link.

It supports raytracing! "PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments."

And it's got an SSD! And 8K support.
Backwards compatible with PS4 titles also!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's the same kinda RT that's been demoed on Vega and the non-turing GTXs

At this moment we really don't know if this forced hardware through software optimisations like the one you mentioned or the PS5 will have dedicated RT harwdare. The interveiw says custom NAVI GPU so the "custom" is the highlighted word here. As a matter of fact, the PS4 Pro GPU was very customised, it had a dedicated checkerboard harwdare and RPM FP16.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
"That's all great, but there's something else that excites Cerny even more. Something that he calls "a true game changer," something that more than anything else is "the key to the next generation." It's a hard drive. "

Interesting

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
SSD and ray tracing support - outstanding. Aggressive move from them to announce it like this so early - beating MS to the punch twice in a row now. Rumors suggest the next Xbox will have an SSD and user hmqgg has suggested RT as well.

A great baseline has been set, I feel next gen is going to be a big leap!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! Anyway:Ray tracing,SSD...this thing sounds to me like $499 box?

Ray tracing I'll pause on for now. Its a hot topic and the example he uses about audio points out 'its just tracing rays' - so whether this is strong enough to do proper RT or just augmenting current lighting (perhaps through regular GPGPU) we don't know yet.

Exciting stuff though. Who'd have thought they'd do their first reveal in a wired article? Crazy.

that SSD sounds delicious. Wonder if its cache or full storage (speed suggests cost which suggests cache to me)

I went for 1H19 reveal and I still think this puts us on track for a Q120 launch. They ruled out 2019, and perhaps want to go early to seed mindshare and then go dark for a while to keep PS4 sales up, but this is too early for a fall 2020 launch IMO

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
SSD and ray tracing support - outstanding. Aggressive move from them to announce it like this so early - beating MS to the punch twice in a row now. Rumors suggest the next Xbox will have an SSD and user hmqgg has suggested RT as well.

A great baseline has been set, I feel next gen is going to be a big leap!

It is important to note that in the article they say "RayTracing support" which basically means nothing at all as of right now because DirectX supports RayTracing now (or will in the future). It does not imply any dedicated RayTracing hardware. Which will be the case for all hardware moving forward I'd guess

(I am not saying it won't have it, but they only use the word "support" in the linked article)

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
This is basically everything I wanted from a next gen Playstation. Now to wait for the raw specs numbers..

Yup same. PS4 BC was the #1 most important for me. Build quality for Controller is another important thing for me and I am very glad that the PS5 WILL HAVE AN SSD (or something that works like an SSD. it is not quite clear what type of storage Cerny is refering to in the article but he is hyped about it so it is like an SSD or Nvme SSD or whatever, but it is blazingly fast).

Other things are as expected and go in line with my speculationg.

- Custom navi
- Zen2 8 core
- 2020 release
- more and faster memory

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Whole idea of this next gen interview is really fascinating and to me totally unexpected.

Jim Ryan starts his CEO days with a big bang!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes .last leak said 499 and even then Sony is taking 100$ loss .and every leak suggests it's very capable machine .that's why I m going with 499.too much smoke hence the fire ;)

The sooner we talk man, haha...after the Cerny interview I'm switching to the $499 camp!

PS: Can you link me this rumor you mention regarding $499+$100 loss? Thst would be awesome if true, the best of both worlds, value +power

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The sooner we talk man, haha...after the Cerny interview I'm switching to the $499 camp!

PS: Can you link me this rumor you mention regarding $499+$100 loss? Thst would be awesome if true, the best of both worlds, value +power
sure give me 2 min.

everything on his list came true after cerny talk. he mentioned ps5 is 14 TF. fucking hell if true .

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It is important to note that in the article they say "RayTracing support" which basically means nothing at all as of right now because DirectX supports RayTracing now (or will in the future). It does not imply any dedicated RayTracing hardware. Which will be the case for all hardware moving forward I'd guess

(I am not saying it won't have it, but they only use the word "support" in the linked article)

The careful wording of the article in this regard was not lost on me. At minimum, the ability for PS5 to do some RT work is exciting, even if there's nothing to the extent of turing's RT cores.

I also may be moving form the $399 camp to the $499 camp.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
I think we can drop the 399$-ball now. And thats good!

If they are seriously delivering Ray Tracing. Then this isn't a 399 console. The technology needed for this isn't cheap and is still new in the market. Amd talked previously about how much gpu power is needed to do this. Not to mention buying SSD's in bulk is still a much higher cost.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
That the next Xbox (well Anaconda at least) would have a 1TB NVME SSD, raytracing, intergrated machine learning and possibly the next next gen GPU (codename Atracus irrc) some other stuff as well but I can't remember everything off the top of my head)

"Atracus" means robbery in fake latin, I think you meant Arcturus :D

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Once again, the next gen is gonna be more lit than people had been expecting.

Lol, I mean if ray tracing was not gonna be a huge bullet point for them next gen Cerny wouldn't have been talking about it. It's gonna be an integral part of the console.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here is the leak from few months back :

1. I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5.
  2. Some infos that i'd like to share that are 99% correct(i say 99% because small incremental hardware change can occur till 2020,although specs are set in stone).
  3. -PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
  4. -PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
  5. -backward compatible
  6. -physical games & ps store
  7. -ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
  8. -specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
  9. GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
  10. 24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
  11. -2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
  12. -8k upscaling
  13. -PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
  14. -dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
  15. -price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning

https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR/

Status
Not open for further replies.