• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Ok
1. They have WMR, with tools and some of the best headsets on th market.
2. Ninja Theory have experience making a VR game, rare have expirenced with kinect, so they have some good and relevant experience.
3. Will sony's devs have more experience? Yes they will, but this does not necessarily mean xbox devs won't be able to make VR games as good as.
4. Sony have likely lost money on PSVR overall. Sothere devs will gain expirence, but while losing money.
Like I've already said we don't know if Sony launching VR first will be worth it.
Both approaches have there pros and cons.
5. Microsoft's inside-out tracking solution is light years ahead of whatever Sony is currently using.

Jun 18, 2018
Anyone else seen this fan made concept demo of the PS5 yet?

Unrealistic specs i know but pretty cool nonetheless.

I must be old - I remember the days when crazy fan concepts drew more attention that specs!

And whilst I'm not a big fan of that design as a whole, it tries to hard to incorporate too many elements from different playstations, I would love to see the PS5's chassis to reference the PS1 or PS2.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
VR is such a niche product......I honestly struggle to see why anyone would put so much emphasis on it at current moment in time.

VR is at it's absolute infancy still, but it is undoubtedly here to stay. There's an amazing amount of innovation happening in the VR space and it's only going to expand once core issues are taken care of.

I currently have no room for full-scale high-end VR in my home, but having experienced proper VR gaming truly convinced me of the fact that it's without equal. It takes everything I love most about gaming (immersion, adventure, storytelling, interaction) and enhances it to a ridiculous degree.

I'd say going into next-gen without at least a proper plan for future VR support is a fool's errand. You need to be proactive in that regard because it's an untapped market with ridiculous potential for gaming. So it would make alot of sense to be at the forefront of it all.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
with the x1x they had more CUs but a lower clocks and ended up very close performance wise to the consumer card boost performance, so i think its possible we will get that performance level.
all in all RTX 2070 performance level in a console is pretty good IMO, couple that with 5x the CPU and the really fast SSD and i am excited.
also remember that the ps4, which was the more powerful of the 2 had a GTX 660 equvialent GPU basically, so the next gen consoles will be comparable to one rank above at the current NVidia cards.
PS4's GPU was much better than the 660, 660 lacked any async compute. The 2000 series caught up to AMD's compute advantage so there is less of a difference between Nvidia & AMD now, except for ray tracing.
Speaking of ray tracing, until we know PS5 or Navi has it, it's more honest to compare the 5700 to the GTX 1080, 2070 is using some die space for ray tracing.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of ray tracing, until we know PS5 or Navi has it, it's more honest to compare the 5700 to the GTX 1080, 2070 is using some die space for ray tracing.

We'll know more come AMD's E3 press conference (and possibly MS's too) - but my current guessing is that this 1st gen Navi "hybrid RDNA/GCN" thing doesn't have it, but a future "pure Navi" does - and the next gen consoles are using that. PS5 particularly since Mark Cerny has specifically mentioned raytracing - I'd say we do know PS5 has it - but I don't see why not MS too unless they are doing something unexpected. The wait until Fall 2020 for release makes it seem very unlikely to me they will be using the specific graphics chip "Navi" releasing next month - everything is ready (very nearly at retail!), a 2019 release would have been possible with these designs, which was rumoured to be Sony's plan initially. Why delay?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
We'll know more come AMD's E3 press conference (and possibly MS's too) - but my current guessing is that this 1st gen Navi "hybrid RDNA/GCN" thing doesn't have it, but a future "pure Navi" does - and the next gen consoles are using that. PS5 particularly since Mark Cerny has specifically mentioned raytracing - I'd say we do know PS5 has it - but I don't see why not MS too unless they are doing something unexpected. The wait until Fall 2020 for release makes it seem very unlikely to me they will be using the specific graphics chip "Navi" releasing next month - everything is very nearly already out (and at retail!), a 2019 release would have been possible with these designs, which was rumoured to be Sony's plan initially. Why delay?
Well the new Call of Duty mentioned DXR & not RTX, so i wonder if that's a hint at ray tracing in NG Consoles & NG AMD cards, but it doesn't look like the 5700 has ray tracing hardware at all, it's kind of just AMD's GTX 1080, the RTX 2070 is pretty much just a 12nm 1080 with ray tracing. I mention this obvious stuff because if the 5700 is $500, that's gonna be shitty.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Well the new Call of Duty mentioned DXR & not RTX, so i wonder if that's a hint at ray tracing in NG Consoles & NG AMD cards, but it doesn't look like the 5700 has ray tracing hardware at all, it's kind of just AMD's GTX 1080, the RTX 2070 is pretty much just a 12nm 1080 with ray tracing. I mention this obvious stuff because if the 5700 is $500, that's gonna be shitty.
Yep, new navi doesn't soud impressive at all but thats the only option for both microsoft and sony

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well the new Call of Duty mentioned DXR & not RTX
RTX is NV's h/w+s/w stack for DXR execution. Basically RTX is like a D3D12 driver and D3D12 h/w for D3D12 API but for DXR instead. They do put some other features besides RT into RTX tech package (like DLSS for example) but this is mostly irrelevant.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
RTX is NV's h/w+s/w stack for DXR execution. Basically RTX is like a D3D12 driver and D3D12 h/w for D3D12 API but for DXR instead. They do put some other features besides RT into RTX tech package (like DLSS for example) but this is mostly irrelevant.
Yeah, still, you would think they would mention RTX, guess we will see.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This ancient reptile of a thread is almost done!
giphy.gif

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
I'm not here very often. I just checked the start date of this thread to see whether the next one would last until the consoles are released.

Nope. ;)

Nov 11, 2017
If the rumour of them mandating cross-gen titles for the coming 2 years is true, then it makes the two console launch strategy seem even more nonsensical.

You'd be able to play 'next-gen' for a ~150 dollar Xbox One S or a cheap One X without having to buy any of the nextgen hardware. Defeats the purpose of the lockhart unit for sure.

It'll remain my opinion that they will not go for a two console launch after all. Maybe they'll position the One X as the 'lockhart' unit.
That's not even the rumor lol, the rumor is that Microsoft first party will be releasing cross gen titles the first few years

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok
1. They have WMR, with tools and some of the best headsets on th market.
2. Ninja Theory have experience making a VR game, rare have expirenced with kinect, so they have some good and relevant experience.
3. Will sony's devs have more experience? Yes they will, but this does not necessarily mean xbox devs won't be able to make VR games as good as.
4. Sony have likely lost money on PSVR overall. Sothere devs will gain expirence, but while losing money.
Like I've already said we don't know if Sony launching VR first will be worth it.
Both approaches have there pros and cons.
I've got to hand it to with your attitude towards Microsoft, I bet if they come and took a dump on your front lawn you'd see the positive side. Fertilizer and all that.

Might as well put a disclaimer as I'm not sure how people take jokes any more, so yes just having a laugh.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That's not really true. The 2070 architecture is a pretty big upgrade over the 1000 series even without any RTX hardware. I'm not sure why keep comparing the 5700 to NVIDIA, it's basically a smaller and more efficient Vega 64.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, still, you would think they would mention RTX, guess we will see.
Why would they if they use DXR and not RTX? One could use RTX specifically - meaning accessing NV's RT h/w through NVAPI for example. But why would you if you have DXR which works on more than RTX cards already and is very likely to work on non-NV cards too in the future? The real question is to what extent will they actually use RT in CODMW - what if they'll target GPUs without DXR acceleration like the 10/16 series?

Feb 10, 2018
I've got to hand it to with your attitude towards Microsoft, I bet if they come and took a dump on your front lawn you'd see the positive side. Fertilizer and all that.

Might as well put a disclaimer as I'm not sure how people take jokes any more, so yes just having a laugh.

Lol, some people like you are so far gone that when someone says something positive about xbox it automatically means they are some xbox fanboy.

When people don't converse with reasoning and facts and instead resort to name calling it basically because they have no argument, like trump.

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, good for him. He is the man. Yet bunch of PC and especially PS4 owners already playing great VR games. Even in this "early stages".
Vr Is just so niche right now that basically that tech have still to see the mass market ...I repeat from a marketing stand point it was the right choice for Xbox . If they choose tomorrow to jump in ...isn't like people will say "oh but psvr is so famous that I need a ps for the definitive be experience" this is what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.