• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the info we've got so far, I've read worse fan dreams... RAM can change. Price, I'd caution again against making assumptions about these things because we don't know what sort of deals they're getting and if they think they can justify the losses.
Yeah, the conversation around what isn't possible for RAM setup and price of the PS5 is basically pointless because we have no way of accounting for those things. What seems too expensive RAM wise may not be as bad for Sony, and loss may not be something they shy away from considering how much better they are doing financially.

Even the PS4 had loss of ~$60 and that was when Sony was flirting with bankruptcy.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
But the leaker gets the 2019 q2 "small reveal" info right.

Somone might be able to guess ray tracing + 8k upscale, but to get the date and the fact that it's a small reveal correct is far to specific to be a guess,

It seals the deal for me, Sony are going all out.

I have to agree, so far all of the things that leak have predicted have come true. How lucky do you have to be to get literally everything correct about there reveal we got? Not only the info in the reveal, but also the timing and style of the reveal?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree, so far all of the things that leak have predicted have come true. How lucky do you have to be to get literally everything correct about there reveal we got? Not only the info in the reveal, but also the timing and style of the reveal?

The timing is Q2 2019 that could be interpreted in a wide way.
The correct things are also the most vague one:
-8k upscaling (not native)
-8 core Zen 2
-Navi
-Backward Compatibility

The leak talk about flash memory which could've been guessed.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
In the same world where the first gonzolo leak gave us 8 tflops at 1ghz. Back then, the assumption was that the CU count was 64.

64 CU x 64 SP x 2 x 1.0Ghz = 8 tflops

So if you believed that number back them and were part of the 8 tflops doom and gloom team then you should also believe the latest leak would give us 14 tflops.

If you weren't then yes you have more of a reason to be skeptical.

As for Navi lite, i just don't see why the would settle for 48 CUs after shrinking the die by 2.3x. It just doesn't make sense. Especially since they were able to double the cu count for the pro without breaking the $399 price barrier. They no longer have to stick to that price point and should be able to easily push 56-64 CUs for the reasons i gave above.

Lastly, the same leak that posted that chart said that there would be no hardware ray tracing in Navi 10. Only in Navi 20 which is due out next year. So we can assume that the ps5 gpu will be borrowing some of the Navi 20 features.

Do you think these potential rumors of 8 and 14 TF, and also raytracing and not having raytracing could be a potential indicator of 2 SKU's from Sony similar to what Microsoft is apparently planning?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
A lot people in here are posting Lockhart spec and price both of which are way too high IMO. There has to be a noticeable and strategical difference between Lockhart and Anaconda if you're gonna launch both at the same time (which for the record I don't even think they should do). To me it's a bad strategy to have 2 SKU's that heavily resemble a mid-gen hardware refresh spec at launch. But if MS really is insisting on 2 SKUs Lockhart needs to be clearly distinguishable by the consumer from Anaconda, having them separated by $200 and ~3-4 teraflops simply doesn't do that.

In order to truly go after separate consumers Lockhart should be viewed as a an entry level streaming box perhaps with some basic 'traditional console' capabilities to play games at 1080p..and it shouldn't be a penny over $199. Anaconda would of course be the opposite..most likely a $499 console potentially sold at loss which would be quite the beast depending how much of a hit MS is willing to take per console.

Maybe these are my personal thoughts on what should happen versus what actually will who knows.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Base PS4 and X1 still sell vastly better then the mid gens for a reason

People,kids and families in council estates, the projects and other low income areas are going to get the cheapest console which plays the latest games.
Software sells. Its proven that exclusives (or the perception of exclusivity) matters. If Lockhart is $399 and PS5 $499 it doesn't automatically mean that the nXbox will sell better by default, at all.

Spider-Man sold something like 9 million PS4 bundles by itself in the first 3 and a half months IIRC.

Oct 25, 2017
Software sells. Its proven that exclusives (or the perception of exclusivity) matters. If Lockhart is $399 and PS5 $499 it doesn't automatically mean that the nXbox will sell better by default, at all.

Spider-Man sold something like 9 million PS4 bundles by itself in the first 3 and a half months IIRC.
Spider-Man sold 9M copies (physical and digital) and bundles were included in that number.

Upscaled - Using 'chiplets' to build next-gen CPUs

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Neat video explaining Chiplets that's easy to understand.

-

This part is pretty cool! https://youtu.be/f-4hxNKvEY0?t=244

"AMD and Intel have both proposed solutions, their approaches are different, but they all revolve around breaking up the CPU into discrete 'chiplets' and connecting them together to form a sort of, 'Voltron CPU'.

Even if the 2020 consoles don't use them, I totally expect mid-gen upgraded refresh consoles to do so, because by 2023/2024, we may only still be on 5nm and not have reached 3nm for mass production, especially for hardware that would go into development in 2020.

Last edited:

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The highest end performance speculation almost never happens, so until we get some really compelling information that says different, 10-12 teraflops feels realistic. There are plenty of other things Sony can spend finite resources on past just teraflops.

On an unrelated note, that Peter Rubin interview is worth a listen. Some pretty safe things to extrapolation from it:

- Juicy dev-kit leaks are coming very soon and that's part of why the Wired article exists.
- PS5 really is aiming for a higher price point, likely not cripplingly high, but more than $399.
- Sony is holding off telling as much as possible, and are opting to show quite a bit instead, they are just waiting until there is enough to show.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Google translate:
"Navi 10 and Navi 10 LITE are identified, but as long as GFX ID is different, they should be completely different GPUs. I think that the meaning of LITE is not that the number of CU is small, but that the element of Navi is thin in the architectural sense."

Hmm...what do you make of this Anex?

Feb 10, 2018

I got all hyped about the pastbin
Because of this video at 9min mark

But after reading the exact quote about the reveal

Pastebin leaker:
"PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal"

I think I got a bit ahead of myself,
I mean it could be true Sony did do a small reveal in q2 2019, but it was not really a reveal, it was a strange internet article/interview.

Yeah, I got ahead of myself, sorry.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It cannot be played on last gen because it has a much better CPU and a SSD. It's like your asking how a game can be played on a RTX 2060 instead of a RTX 2080.

You're missing the point entirely. Until around 18 months into next-gen, there will be NO games made by third parties that are next-gen exclusive, and thus not playable on PS4 and XB1S.

Cross-gen games at the start of a generational transition are a reality of the economics of games development today. You're refusing to acknowledge reality by denying next-gen games will not all initially run on legacy consoles.

I thought 64 *was* a hard limit for vega? They were hitting diminishing returns above 56CU I thought which is why Vega 64 isn't a lot better than 56 but uses a lot of power to push through

It is a hard limit for Vega/Polaris's Front End design - it's not really a 64CU limit, it's a 4x Shader Engine limit. It's not a hard limit for GCN.

The diminishing returns beyond 56CUs of Vega has more to do with memory bandwidth limitations, however, as evidenced perfectly by Radeon 7's performance.

One question - I was told that doubling the number of SPs per CU would not help, as it would just halve the number of CUs you could have before diminishing returns set in. Doesn't that mean that the 'CU limit' is actually more of an SP limit?

The point of diminishing returns is not a static fixed quantity independent of the specific GPU and memory subsystem design. It's entirely defined by the bottlenecks in the GPU pipeline together with the hard limitations of the GPU architectural design.

So while, yes, increasing the number of SPs per CU for Vega would just shift the problem elsewhere, Navi is a new architecture, and so one would have to assume that the RTG designers in designing the GPU arch for a higher SP/CU ratio, they would adjust other aspects of the GPU microarchitecture to accommodate that change. There are a number of ways AMD can effectively improve GPU throughput and utilisation of the execution resources.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot people in here are posting Lockhart spec and price both of which are way too high IMO. There has to be a noticeable and strategical difference between Lockhart and Anaconda if you're gonna launch both at the same time (which for the record I don't even think they should do). To me it's a bad strategy to have 2 SKU's that heavily resemble a mid-gen hardware refresh spec at launch. But if MS really is insisting on 2 SKUs Lockhart needs to be clearly distinguishable by the consumer from Anaconda, having them separated by $200 and ~3-4 teraflops simply doesn't do that.

In order to truly go after separate consumers Lockhart should be viewed as a an entry level streaming box perhaps with some basic 'traditional console' capabilities to play games at 1080p..and it shouldn't be a penny over $199. Anaconda would of course be the opposite..most likely a $499 console potentially sold at loss which would be quite the beast depending how much of a hit MS is willing to take per console.

Maybe these are my personal thoughts on what should happen versus what actually will who knows.
I agree, it should be as low as possible. The whole point of it is to undercut all the advanced stuff going on with PS5 and Snek. If they are around the $499 mark, Lock will benefit by being $200-300 lower than that.

Feb 10, 2018

I don't know how you got all that from what I said.
But yes I agree with you.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably better - it wouldn't need a Qualcomm chip like the Quest, but wireless connection tech, a much higher resolution screen, eye-tracking, etc would almost certainly mean $399 at least.

Honestly, the PSVR2 as described sounds like what I want and expect, but the price is bullshit.
There is no credible rumor. If you man that pastebin leak: that PSVR2 would be crazy, basically a OculusQuest with eye tracking and the power of the PS5 instead of a mobile Chip, for $250. That's absolutly impossible, though.

Edit: I forgot an FOV of 220°, doubling the Quest lol

Thanks folks! I haven't followed the Quest too closely so I honestly wasn't sure. I agree that the pricing seems off here then. If our rumored specs were basically an Oculus Quest without included controllers or built-in processing I'd think $250 sounds reasonable. Basically doubling certain features seems like a $350-$400 headset even if it does depend on PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
The highest end performance speculation almost never happens, so until we get some really compelling information that says different, 10-12 teraflops feels realistic. There are plenty of other things Sony can spend finite resources on past just teraflops.

On an unrelated note, that Peter Rubin interview is worth a listen. Some pretty safe to extrapolation from it:

- Juicy dev-kit leaks are coming very soon and that's part of why the Wired article exists.
- PS5 really is aiming for a higher price point, likely not cripplingly high, but more than $399.
- Sony is holding off telling as much as possible, and are opting to show quite a bit instead, they are just waiting until there is enough to show.
What interview is that?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Google translate:
"Navi 10 and Navi 10 LITE are identified, but as long as GFX ID is different, they should be completely different GPUs. I think that the meaning of LITE is not that the number of CU is small, but that the element of Navi is thin in the architectural sense."

Hmm...what do you make of this Anex?
No FP64 would be one guess.

Anything that is focused towards NN training as well. They may still want to do inference stuff, and they definitely want AI assisted denoising if they're serious about RT.

https://blog.inten.to/hardware-for-deep-learning-part-3-gpu-8906c1644664

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So with Gonzalo, can CPUs be told to run at any clock speed between their minimum and maximum? IE, if the 1.6ghz is for PS4 compatibility an the 3.2ghz speed is for PS5 games, can it be told to run at 2.1ghz for PS4 Pro compatibility?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So with Gonzalo, can CPUs be told to run at any clock speed between their minimum and maximum? IE, if the 1.6ghz is for PS4 compatibility an the 3.2ghz speed is for PS5 games, can it be told to run at 2.1ghz for PS4 Pro compatibility?
That's an interesting question. Games with Pro support will run as on the Pro or the backward is just for PS4 assets at higher res?

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the 4TF Lockhart rumor, do RT cores impact that number at all, or is it separate? I know we don't really have AMD RT hardware yet, but what about NVidia card specs?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding streaming services like xCloud, wouldn't it make sense to have both Anaconda and Lockhart hardware in their servers? Anaconda can stream to users with 4K enabled devices and Lockhart could stream to users with 1080p and lower devices. It doesn't make much sense to dedicate a 4K high end session to a device that can't exceed 1080p.

That reasoning alone is what had me pondering if Sony could be going for 2 SKUs as well.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Can someone explain why 64 CUs is a Navi limit?

We should easily get more CUs just by going from 16nm to 7nm
It has to do with the GPU front-end. Basically there are things called shader engines. These feed tasks to the CUs. Basically in the GCN there are 4 of them, each only able to effectively support 16 CUs. Adding More will require a ar bigger redesign of the entire architecture.

It seems that rather than redesign said front-end in this iteration f GCN, coming from vega to navi what AMD may have focused on is achieving higher efficiency. Allowing them to clock a lot higher while reducing power draw. In a manner of speaking, 1.8Ghz could very well be to navi what 800mhz was to Southern islands (code name of GPU range the OG PS4 belonged to).

i dont get it. what is this tdp limit and where can i find some info on this?
This is how much power you chip can safely use before the heatusing that power kills it.

Practically, its indicative of the capacity of heat dissipation your cooling system must account for. The higher the number the better the cooling system you will need, larger the PSU you will need, bigger the console you will need and higher the overall system draw of the console.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I agree, and I've said as much. 3 SKU's make no sense.

Make the Lockhart the Streambox, and price it cheap.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever Sony decises to do unveil the PS5 for real I hope we will get something like this

With a real Cerny-talk

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully, Sony can do a better implementation of BC in PS5 than they did on Pro making this a moot point. I think there are even patents indicating such. It's much better if you handle BC more in software, with some hardware support, than having it be primarily hardware based. It allows you more flexibility.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading the whole thread, I saw a lot on TFs but I don't think anything was answering this:
PS4 refresh
  • sometime between september and november
  • fabbed on samsung 7nm EUV
  • best wafer pricing in the industry
  • die size 110mm²
  • no PRO refresh, financially not viable yet
  • too close to PS5 as well
PS5 memory and storage systems
  • 24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)
  • 8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2
  • Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM
  • in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
  • HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
  • Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices
  • Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
  • InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well
  • InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v
  • HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power
  • additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec.
  • 4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games
  • memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers
  • HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well
  • developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves
  • memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4
  • namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately
  • 2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)
  • GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM
  • at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4
  • very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons
  • allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec.

Can anyone explain the red RAM counts to me? I get that there are potentially split allocations & types of RAM but I am unclear on the roles for the allocations.
I've seen 20GB of the 24 being usable by developers for games and 4 for OS before but here I am seeing;

24GB == "8GB in form of 2x 4-Hi stacks of HMB2" + "additional 16GB in form of DDR4"
"additional 16GB in form of DDR4" == "4GB reserved for OS" + "12GB usable by games"​

So what is going on with the HBM2 8GB? How does that get utilised theoretically vs the DDR4? And what does that get mean for devs vs how is it exposed to them?

Also can anyone give a refresher on the green line - what was "wrong" with the memory solution in PS4? I thought the shared mem pool fixed a lot of the problems the PS3 had? Is it a bus/latency thing?

Sorry if already covered.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. The Xbox One S is always cheaper than the PS4 and Sony is outselling MS by more than 2:1.

I Microsoft has the cheapest and more powerful consoles on the market at this time and things are only getting worse, could even be 3:1 worldwide this early 2019 months

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished reading the whole thread, I saw a lot on TFs but I don't think anything was answering this:

Can anyone explain the red RAM counts to me? I get that there are potentially split allocations & types of RAM but I am unclear on the roles for the allocations.
I've seen 20GB of the 24 being usable by developers for games and 4 for OS before but here I am seeing;

24GB == "8GB in form of 2x 4-Hi stacks of HMB2" + "additional 16GB in form of DDR4"
"additional 16GB in form of DDR4" == "4GB reserved for OS" - "12GB usable by games"​

So what is going on with the HBM2 8GB? How does that get utilised theoretically vs the DDR4? And what does that get mean for devs vs how is it exposed to them?

Also can anyone give a refresher on the green line - what was "wrong" with the memory solution in PS4? I thought the shared mem pool fixed a lot of the problems the PS3 had? Is it a bus/latency thing?

If I m not mistaken ddr4 will be split between cpu and gpu but hbm2 will be all given to gpu.gpu need much faster ram compared to cpu.ddr4 is good enough for cpu.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

"additional 16GB in form of DDR4" == "4GB reserved for OS" - "12GB usable by games"​

HBM2 would be used almost exclusively by the GPU and only data that was going to require the high bandwidth of that memory would need to be stored there. All other data would exist in the slower pool and data would be moved from the larger, slower, pool to the smaller, faster, one as needed.

There's nothing wrong with a unified memory setup, and in fact it has some advantages. It may just be at this time, with the current state of technology, having a split pool offers more advantages.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Whenever Sony decises to do unveil the PS5 for real I hope we will get something like this

With a real Cerny-talk

I wonder if we might get a little of Cerny talk at Computex as one of Lisa Su's special guests at the keynote?

During the CEO Keynote, Dr. Lisa Su and other high-profile guests will highlight new details of upcoming products and showcase how the industry is building a new high-performance computing ecosystem that will push technology to the next level.

https://www.computextaipei.com.tw/en_US/news/info.html?id=6994382A4DFCD609

If there is any truth in AMD making Navi for Sony it might make some sense for Mark to be there?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

The HBM is used solely for games. Of the remaining 16GB DDR4, 4GB is reserved for the OS.

HBCC (high bandwidth cache controller) is the intelligence that manages what's in the HBM versus DDR4 for games. The leak says devs have the option to override this.

The problem with the PS4 memory solution was that as the CPU demanded more bandwidth, it decreased the bandwidth to the GPU by more than what the CPU was taking. Basically, as the CPU reads more data, the chance it's reading a bank the GPU wants to access goes up, meaning someone has to take priority.

With this solution, the chance of that happening goes way down. The DDR4 alone would have the same number of banks as the GDDR5 in PS4, and the HBM would have 512 banks for very granular access.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Person who leaked many info about ps5 and said Sony is skipping e3 before Sony confirmed they r skipping e 3
"There is no concrete date for the first unveiling of PlayStation 5 has been outlined yet. But as per the source, Sony will possibly go for April 2019 to showcase the console for the first time ever."
Seems like he was spot-on. This was written in November

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, and I've said as much. 3 SKU's make no sense.

Make the Lockhart the Streambox, and price it cheap.

If Lockhart exists to sell to the $299 consumer, that consumer may not be the one with the internet service to support a streambox. They may want physical media they can trade in for instance.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Small .that's around 15% .Abit of resolution /fps at Max with next gen engines

I agree. A 2 TF difference wouldn't be that much given a 10-12 TF baseline.

Yet that would likely not be the case between Anaconda and Lockhart, if the difference between them is something like Lockhart having 1/2 or 1/3 the GPU performance, i.e. 12 vs 6 TF or 12 vs 4 TF or 14 TF vs 7 TF. Lockhart might not be able to run next gen engines with the same feature set as Anaconda. It's not just a difference between 1080p and 4K, unless they hold back Anaconda's potential in fidelity (graphics complexity).

Status
Not open for further replies.