• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intresting stuff indeed. This is just speculation like Klob says. Dont go weird. :P

yeah, think that's coming.

Sony has a deep learning network, but I'm not sure if the ICE team is adopting it for their next gen console (I'm sure they will)

Although even so I wont be surprised if they're behind compared to MS and Nvidia.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although it has to be said that Playstation's first party MLAA solution is... quite great at reducing aliasing already, since HZD.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Intresting stuff indeed. This is just speculation like Klob says. Dont go weird. :P

It's interesting, but not very temporally stable. If you watch the demo, particularly the zoomed in image, while it's mostly very sharp, it sometimes inexplicably becomes very blurry.

In general though, I think DL and temporal reconstruction techniques are very promising and where things are going. Native 4k resolution isn't going to be very popular next-gen -- because there's very little reason to spend so much of the performance budget on native res.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
It's interesting, but not very temporally stable. If you watch the demo, particularly the zoomed in image, while it's mostly very sharp, it sometimes inexplicably becomes very blurry.

In general though, I think DL and temporal reconstruction techniques are very promising and where things are going. Native 4k resolution isn't going to be very popular next-gen -- because there's very little reason to spend so much of the performance budget on native res.

That was when he was flipping back and forth between regular updating and ML.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do we know the date Sony will be updating their investors on their game streaming plans? I assume that info is pretty much given directly to the public so we won't have to rely on an interpretation of what they said?

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't reconstruction image or CB free the GPU like a LOT to do better graphics overall?

There is no doubt that next consoles will be able to deliver Native 4K image with great graphics, But at the same time they can achieve amazing insane graphics by using these techniques since it frees up the GPU to do so right??

I would go for insane mode.

PetohKing

Alt account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Wouldn't reconstruction image or CB free the GPU like a LOT to do better graphics overall?

There is no doubt that next consoles will be able to deliver Native 4K image with great graphics, But at the same time they can achieve amazing insane graphics by using these techniques right since it frees up the GPU to do so?

Yes, gives way for about 40% more GPU resources to do other things. I think "Insane mode" will be the better option for AAA titles as well.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

There is no doubt that next consoles will be able to deliver Native 4K image with great graphics, But at the same time they can achieve amazing insane graphics by using these techniques right since it frees up the GPU to do so?

Variable rate shading should allow devs to target a higher native resolution while leaving more resources to do other things with the image quality. It'll likely be used in conjunction with CB and dynamic res but I'm sure some devs will use it pretty heavily to hit native 4K while getting back time to really push the image quality.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'll take 4K CBR 60 FPS vs 4K Native 30FPS that's for sure

The funny thing is, they would actually have the same number of natively rendered pixels each second. The former would then offer additional extrapolated pixels, a much smoother image, and more responsiveness. So yeah, 100% agreed.

Correct me if im wrong but there are some native 4K games on Pro

There are. Mostly simple titles, including the ZOE2 and KH remasters. There's also TLOU Remastered with a native 4K30 mode.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I think Next gen consoles will focus more on frame rates than native image.

Even on marketing side, there will be more talk about higher Frame rates.

Feb 23, 2019
I'm guessing you don't have a 1X or a high end PC and a Pro? You don't need to sit close to see the detail of a native 4K scene and there certainly is a massive difference between 1440p and 4K.

Play nothing but a native 4K (or 4K CBR even) game for a few weeks straight then load up that same game at 1440p and still tell us there isn't a big difference..

I only own a Pro. But strictly looking at certain games - Uncharted 4 vs. Horizon. vs. God of War vs. Days Gone, etc...all of these titles have various forms of resolution, and to me they all look SHARP ENOUGH.

That's not to say that true 4K won't get you a better image, it will. I just DO NOT THINK the tradeoffs are worth it.

Which is where we have a very big problem with Lockhart. If devs put 12TF towards a 1440P image with insane graphics, where does that put
Lockhart at only 4-6 TF?

Less than 900p? I doubt that's going to be acceptable.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The funny thing is, they would actually have the same number of natively rendered pixels each second. The former would then offer additional extrapolated pixels, a much smoother image, and more responsiveness. So yeah, 100% agreed.

There are. Mostly simple titles, including the ZOE2 and KH remasters. There's also TLOU Remastered with a native 4K30 mode.
And all the sports games I think.

Wipeout is also 4k/60/hdr if you turn motion blur off. With it on its checkerboard 4k

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I only own a Pro. But strictly looking at certain games - Uncharted 4 vs. Horizon. vs. God of War vs. Days Gone, etc...all of these titles have various forms of resolution, and to me they all look SHARP ENOUGH.

That's not to say that true 4K won't get you a better image, it will. I just DO NOT THINK the tradeoffs are worth it.

Which is where we have a very big problem with Lockhart. If devs put 12TF towards a 1440P image with insane graphics, where does that put
Lockhart at only 4-6 TF?

Less than 900p? I doubt that's going to be acceptable.
I think people gotta accept that if you're going to pay $299 for a next-gen console, you're going to get a $299 next-gen console. Sub-1080p was acceptable for several games this gen.

Nov 12, 2017
I hope you and TheTruthofKayle won't be too "confused", when Microsoft starts using the exact same reconstructed 4K for their next-gen titles.
They can use it ...but I'll never say that cbr or whatever is better than a native resolution
From my side I hope that Anaconda will be enough powerful to be native 4k and push for graphics .... Lockhart will certainly use reconstruction

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
They can use it ...but I'll never say that cbr or whatever is better than a native resolution
From my side I hope that Anaconda will be enough powerful to be native 4k and push for graphics .... Lockhart will certainly use reconstruction

Even if they are plenty powerful to do Native, they can achieve more and more and more by choosing these techniques. Like many have said, it frees up 40% of the GPU resources which can be used to achieve even better looking games.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Computex can't get here soon enough lol

Oh boy, the new rumors sound rough, grain of salt and all.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
So,what do we expect to be "Navi bad news" BitsandBytes ? Power consumption...poor reference cooling...increased pricing,i suppose?

Looks like the wheels have fallen off Navi....His sources telling him its a power hog and the engineers can't wait to get it out the door!?

Gotta wonder if that was all true why Sony and Microsoft would choose it for consoles?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Looks like the wheels have fallen off Navi....His sources telling him its a power hog and the engineers can't wait to get it out the door!?

Gotta wonder if that was all true why Sony and Microsoft would choose it for consoles?

Yeah,just saw it.Horrible news.We can kiss goodbye that 1.8GHz GPU clock in Gonzalo,that's out of question now.

Status
Not open for further replies.