• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear.

A similar line of questioning, will Xcloud require the newest Xbox or is MS planning to roll out its streaming service to be used without a box?

They have been focusing on streaming to phones first and foremost. I'm expecting the first public tests to be only on Android phones and then it rolls out more widely next year.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
So AdoredTV came out and this thread jumped a good amount of pages. I can only imagine the craziness based on the last two pages I've skimmed. Lol

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
you're right, sorry — Scorpio was announced in June 2016 with a Holiday 2017 release. PS4 Pro was announced September 2016 & released November 2017.

But with their own manufacturing plans / lead times they had to know that Sony had something coming and that even if they announced it then Sony wasn't really in a position to change anything or relate another hardware revision that could challenge what they were going to do. Also like I said they were already being outsold 2:1 or more... so the risk for them was a lot less to announce details than I feel it is for them to announce details on next gen now... unless they are very, *very* confident in what they have.

Pro was released 2 months after announcement in 2016

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff.
Do you believe the inclusion of the SSD (which was pretty surprising to most people I'd think) was related to this?

I think that both had to/will go with SSD. With higher performance machines you want to push more detail - bigger worlds, better textures, more sounds and more intricate geometry.

You have more memory on the new machines but assets have grown in size, draining the available memory just as quickly as before. We were already looking at considerable loading times running from hard disks. If you're loading more data (at least twice the current amount) at the same old HD speeds it would be unbearable for players.

If you don't make the jump to SSD for faster loading, can you take the risk that a competitor won't?

So SSDs for everyone!

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm actually kind of interested in what games get shown to kick off next-gen. I need something that is gonna get me as hyped as the MGSV trailer did.

WOOOOOOAAAOOOOOOOH WOHOOOOOOOOAOAOAOAOOAH WO!

That was an amazing moment, it's E3 2013, Microsoft starts first and kicks things off with MGSV which to me at the time was the most photorealistic game sho n until UC4 in 2016, I really hope that a majority of Microsoft's games shown at E3 2019 is running on the Scarlett, I mean think about it, unless a games coming out this year or the first half of 2020, it will most likely be releasing on the Scarlett. I mean what does Microsoft even have left to release for the Xbox One anyway.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Estimates have varied. But, Kurzweil estimates the brain about 20 million billion FLOPS which equals 20 quadrillion FLOPS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near
AMD or Nvidia flops?
Damn, you found the answer. Congratulations and Chapeau!

That's 20 Yotta FLOPs.
The newest DOE super computer will be 1.5 Exa FLOPs.

Edit:
Or about 13.4 million times as powerful.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Can we expect a bigger cooler in the next gen console and 300W TDP? It seems that the cooler inside the One X can dissipate well 175W without loud noise

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So here is a small thing actually new - https://wccftech.com/sony-ultra-high-speed-ssd-key-to-our-next-gen

However, the folks at the Official PlayStation Magazine were able to snatch an additional statement from a Sony spokesperson, which is as brief as it is interesting. Here's the quote, straight from the magazine (June 2019, issue 162): An ultra-high-speed SSD is the key to our next generation. Our vision is to make loading screens a thing of the past, enabling creators to build new and unique gameplay experiences.

I get that SSD is going to be great for next gen consoles, but I must say that it seems a little odd for Sony to be acting like it is the entire key to things for them.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I think that both had to/will go with SSD. With higher performance machines you want to push more detail - bigger worlds, better textures, more sounds and more intricate geometry.

You have more memory on the new machines but assets have grown in size, draining the available memory just as quickly as before. We were already looking at considerable loading times running from hard disks. If you're loading more data (at least twice the current amount) at the same old HD speeds it would be unbearable for players.

If you don't make the jump to SSD for faster loading, can you take the risk that a competitor won't?

So SSDs for everyone!
Yeah SSDs being a standard in the games consoles next gen is truly a generation leap.
The only concern is how will this effect PC gaming? Right now I would think the optimal price/performance combination would be to have an SSD for OS and maybe a couple of smaller games paired with a high capacity 1-2TB HDD for those really big games like MMOs (e.g. the last time I played ESO with a few DLC packs the folder size was over 100GB iirc). Would the SSDs being standard in the consoles force PC gamers to shell out for expensive, high capacity 1-2TB SSDs or will it just be a case of having more pop-in in games if you're using a slower but cheaper HDD (like most are now)?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken MS announced 6TF GPU at E3 2016. Before the Pro was officially announced.

Yeah but the PS4 Pro dev documentation was leaked spring of that year. So everyone, including MS, knew what the specs were going to be. That's not the case now so I'd be very surprised if we got as much info at E3 as we got in the initial scorpio reveal.

So SSDs for everyone!

Yeah I think you are on point here. Next gen machines will have at least twice the amount of memory. Developers would need a faster storage medium to fill this larger pool efficiently enough.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah but the PS4 Pro dev documentation was leaked spring of that year. So everyone, including MS, knew what the specs were going to be. That's not the case now so I'd be very surprised if we got as much info at E3 as we got in the initial scorpio reveal.
They knew the specs anyway even if they did not leak at the time. Just like the know it this time, not exactly, but the ballpark the PS5 will be in. MS executives are very confident behind the scenes, they wouldn't be if they did not know what to expect from the competition.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Backwards Compatibility is not something that Sony or Nintendo bothered with. There is no money to be made by Microsoft in doing it, the fact that they have done it and still continue to do it is in itself phenomenal. Especially when you consider how happy people were when Cerny announced BC for the PS5 when it comes to this generation's games.

The Xbox One S was not a simple shrink of the base console. It runs faster, sports a UHD drive.

The Xbox One X in terms of approach to how hardware is handled is one of the best consoles ever designed, period. How silent it is, how much they are able to clock up, the Hovis method. They did not have FP16 or some other innovations that Cerny put into the PS4 Pro, some of which there is no bandwidth to really run. What they had was a console that was well designed, silent, and hit all the targets envisioned, one that more often than not hit 4K.
The Xbone one S is not even remotely comparable to the ps4slim size, put the thing in this perspective what Sony engineers are? Divinity level? I just express my opinion about the matter and I'm not trying to change your convictions but I don't think talk as a MS PR could change the reality of the matter. I mean the Xbone S, for example, is more powerful of the OG for convenience reasons and not for tech engineering. Or about the X hardware goals, many times MS has claimed the true 4k stuff where indeed is a bit... " deceptive" release such message about the true hardware capability. But the matter is too wide and we are quite OT.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So here is a small thing actually new - https://wccftech.com/sony-ultra-high-speed-ssd-key-to-our-next-gen

I get that SSD is going to be great for next gen consoles, but I must say that it seems a little odd for Sony to be acting like it is the entire key to things for them.

Effective marketing isn't just reeling off a feature list/spec sheet that most customers don't understand.

Better to highlight benefits and how they will improve things from the player's perspective rather than a roll call of company achievements and chest beating.

Plant the seed that next-gen it is going to be better than this one at least in one regard, leave them wanting more.

A "#4ThePlayers" approach which I'm sure Sony learned from taking their lumps on the PS3 where they thought they knew best.

Feb 23, 2019
This is why I think Lockhart is a smart move. Giving gamers access to these awesome new next-gen features (SSD, Raytracing) that define the next-gen consoles at a relatively cheap price is pretty exciting.

I wonder how cheap it can be though.

It sounds to me like there's a lot of fixed cost in making it next gen capable (CPU, RAM, SSD). You get some savings on some RAM, GPU, and cooling/power, but is it enough to add a huge price delta?

I think Lockhart is still going to be pricey.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They knew the specs anyway even if they did not leak at the time. Just like the know it this time, not exactly, but the ballpark the PS5 will be in. MS executives are very confident behind the scenes, they wouldn't be if they did not know what to expect from the competition.
No offence but MS was very confident in the Xbone era too. I could be wrong but I don't think they could know clearly what Sony will do. Just they use the common logic around the specs possible.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
but I must say that it seems a little odd for Sony to be acting like it is the entire key to things for them.
No loading screens is a differentiation everyone can understand, without ever seeing so much as a hint of a next-gen game.
"More better pixels" is something no one has any concept-of to even imagine until they start releasing new game footage, and even after that point 90% of people won't be able to tell the difference at this stage. Power as a selling point just isn't all that exciting until there's something that show.

executives are very confident behind the scenes, they wouldn't be if they did not know what to expect from the competition.
You've never met an executive before, have you?

MajorVape

Mar 27, 2019

They would have known ballpark. That doesn't make it possible to re-jig a console to make it more powerful than the competition with only a year / 16 months until release. Raise the clocks perhaps but then that's something Sony could do as well.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Effective marketing isn't just reeling off a feature list/spec sheet that most customers don't understand.

Better to highlight benefits and how they will improve things from the player's perspective rather than a roll call of company achievements and chest beating.

Plant the seed that next-gen it is going to be better than this one at least in one regard, leave them wanting more.

A "#4ThePlayers" approach which I'm sure Sony learned from taking their lumps on the PS3 where they thought they knew best.
Well just a thing worry me a bit. I hope all those chats about the loading aren't a move to avoid to talk of some underpowered aspect of hardware compared the expectations. That give me some anxiety, I admit it.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i hope they also push more support towards Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos and DTSX. There are probably some other features im forgetting, but i dont want just the simple HDR10, i need that dynamic shit. i know we already have a very few select games that support atmos, but i want to see it become more of the norm for games this next gen. I want a full package :P

what else can they add? i know there are plenty of features/opportunities with hdmi 2.1, but it doesnt mean everything it offers will be utilized right?
will we have two hdmi ports? earc? im not thinking it all through, but just throwing out some things for conversation.

Better wifi is a given too. will we see any inclusion of hardware to "future" proof it when 5G starts to roll out years later? or will that be part of their refresh? hmmmm

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

As mundane as t may seem, if you really think about it an "ultra-fast" SSD represents the single or most obvious game changer with regards to next gen.

Everything else in next-gen consoles is evolutionary; more RAM, more bandwidth, faster CPU, more powerful GPU...etc. But the SD is the only revolutionary component in there. Not only will it change how games are made/designed/what devs can do with data/world streaming. its QOL implications will be so profound that it will make gaming before it feel antiquated.

Trust me, the second you hit start and 3-10 seconds later you are playing the game you will not even be able to imagine how you could sit through a 1min loading screen before. It's akin to that moment when you swap out your HDD for an SSD in our computer and suddenly notice everything happens faster.

Oct 27, 2017
Well just a thing worry me a bit. I hope those all chats about the loading isn't it a move to avoid to talk of the some underpowered aspect of hardware compared theexpectations. That give me some anxiety, I admit it.

I think it was one of the most obvious things to reveal to take the wind out of MS sails at E3.

Reveal what is expected, so you don't get pressed on things you'd rather not divulge yet.

So MS either have to go "oh yes, we're doing that too" which diminishes the impact or they have to one up you and reveal even more.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I wonder how cheap it can be though.

It sounds to me like there's a lot of fixed cost in making it next gen capable (CPU, RAM, SSD). You get some savings on some RAM, GPU, and cooling/power, but is it enough to add a huge price delta?

I think Lockhart is still going to be pricey.
It will be pricier than a lot here think it will be for sure. But it will still be cheap. I can see PS5/Ana being $499 and Lockhart being $349-$399.
I'd be shocked if it's 299.

I expect 349 and possibly 399 for Lockhart

Is $100 gap enough? Seems like the next Xbox Arcade or PS3 20GB
A $100 gap can be deceptive. Lockhart can cost $349 and have a BOM of $320. Ana could cost $499 but have a BOM of $650.

Soit ends up not being just a $150 difference but instead a $300 difference.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As mundane as t may seem, if you really think about it an "ultra-fast" SSD represents the single or most obvious game changer with regards to next gen.

Trust me, the second you hit start and 3-10 seconds later you are playing the game you will not even be able to imagine how you could sit through a 1min loading screen before. It's akin to that moment when you swap out your HDD for an SSD in our computer and suddenly notice everything happens faster.

Absolutely. It's not just load times, though, it's that the designs of most modern games deliberately hide load times by streaming resources just before they're needed. As Mark Cerny discussed, this puts an upper bound on the speed with which you can travel through the environment. The reason traveling on a horse or other mount in Dragon Age: Inquisition felt singularly pointless is because you couldn't let the player move faster than you could load the landscape, and so mounts were unable to move much faster than you could on foot.

Lockhart will need to include an SSD in order to play games designed around the faster loading speeds, and that will make an aggressive price point challenging.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
a
I think it was one of the most obvious things to reveal to take the wind out of MS sails at E3.

Reveal what is expected, so you don't get pressed on things you'd rather not divulge yet.

So MS either have to go "oh yes, we're doing that too" which diminishes the impact or they have to one up you and reveal even more.

Not this again. I'm sure everyone is going to remember details from the Wired article during e3. It's all about perception and deception now.

Status
Not open for further replies.