• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2019
I won't say I know the procedure, but I believe it has to be hard written into the kernel of the platform. So basically the disabling is not done on a hardware level but on a software one. The OS-firmware will be coded to only "see" x number of CPU cores and GPU CUs.
Just to add to this, the Xbox dev kits receive fully functioning chips, allowing them to enable the full spec for testing/profiling purposes.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
whats the point of a streaming box? isnt the entire point of xcloud to stream to virtually any modern device, phones included? would a stand alone, streaming xbox be necessary?

Yeah I'm curious of the market for a $100-150 streaming box for people with amazing internet and the ability to pay a monthly xCloud fee but aren't interested in just having a local system to play their games. There could be one, I have no idea. I'm just not seeing it.

If anything, they should just partner with Roku and have them put "xcloud enabled!" on their boxes.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
We'll see. Too bad those things are inversely related and I don't think there's a real 'sweet spot' that makes sense business-wise.

Because you need a device that receives the stream and puts it on your TV/projector? Or do you honestly think every TV out there is going to be supporting some Xbox 'app' with it's built in hardware and OS?
I think there's definitely a sweet spot. Being the cheapest console while still having the next gen architecture and tech, and plays all the next-gen games at a lower resolution would be a great option for the millions of casual gamers out there.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will those TVs have support for Xbox hardware? Expecting people to have a premium product to play an economical solution doesn't make a lot of sense.

If someone is interested in streaming games they probably already have a Roku box or smart TV. Hardly premium at this point.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think there's definitely a sweet spot. Being the cheapest console while still having the next gen architecture and tech, and plays all the next-gen games at a lower resolution would be a great option for the millions of casual gamers out there.

That's a great marketing line. But you can't just will it into existence, no matter how good it sounds.

How are they going to provide enough hardware power with all the next-gen bells and whistles at a bargain price? It'll be the baseline of Xbox hardware that would have to last the entire generation.
It would be super risky to price it too low and have it be an anchor around game development for the rest of the generation. Or will people just accept subpar resolutions and low framerates for the sake of pricing? I don't think that's a positive message to your customers at all. And what happens when Sony launches their mid-gen refresh a few years in? Would Xbox create a third SKU that's even stronger but also still held back by having to have the games run acceptably on Lockhart? It's not just resolutions we're talking about.

The Xbox One X is, to this day, still sold for around $500. I think it's quite a stretch to assume they'll be able to put out a stronger or equivalent console with modern architectures and features out of their hat for cheap all of a sudden.

If someone is interested in streaming games they probably already have a Roku box or smart TV. Hardly premium at this point.

99% of 'smart TV's' are absolute garbage and it's laughable to assume every TV out there with a cheap 2011 android chip would be able to decode a stream like that. Hence the box.

Parasyte29

May 12, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised that the whole 2 SKU approach (that people already seem to take as fact) will end up not coming to fruition at all. I'm sure the idea has floated around on both companies' design chalkboards at some point, but I remain unconvinced that MS will actually go that route. I see it more likely to backfire than to benefit anyone.

I could see both Sony and Microsoft coming out with a single box costing either 399$ or 499$ and perhaps Microsoft will have a cheap streaming box on the side that is largely hardware agnostic.

The MS streaming box would be able to provide all next-gen games through streaming alone without having to supply it's own local hardware. Very low price of entry, gamepass, it would be a great value product if the public is able to cope with the downsides of streaming.

So what I could see happening:

Xbox Stream - $149 - Streaming unit
PS5 - $399 - 10TF, SSD
Xbox Anaconda - $499 - 12TF, SSD
Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the way things shake out. The real question is, can MS repeat the same strategy as last gen by having the more powerful, more expensive console without having any compelling first part exclusive titles? I think the truth will be told at E3 when we start to see what all of these new MS acquired studios have been working on.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
What if next gen everything is free? Free consoles, free games, free MTX.

What if you buy game pass and a get a free Xbox console? What if you buy an Xbox console and get gold free? What if you buy gold and get game pass free?

The possibilities for MS cornering the market next gen are endless. Sony am cry.

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks, I edited to $249, I got my wires crossed.
Fact remains that it could have been their budget-entry into the Xbox ecosystem and yet they decided it to send it to retail at $249. Makes zero sense to expect a next-gen 6TF console with brand new hardware and modern architecture to retail at the same price when you look at the hardware differences. It gets even weirder when you consider that the current 6TF unit that's been on the market for over a year is still retailing at around $500.

That is, unless they suddenly decide to take huge losses on every single next-gen console. Doubt it.
This argument isn't lots valid .....the pro is 4.2tf and is officially 409 Euro in Italy. Ps5 1200 Euro console confirmed?
It dosnt work in this way and we know it )

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's a great marketing line. But you can't just will it into existence, no matter how good it sounds.

How are they going to provide enough hardware power with all the next-gen bells and whistles at a bargain price? It'll be the baseline of Xbox hardware that would have to last the entire generation.
It would be super risky to price it too low and have it be an anchor around game development for the rest of the generation. Or will people just accept subpar resolutions and low framerates for the sake of pricing? I don't think that's a positive message to your customers at all. And what happens when Sony launches their mid-gen refresh a few years in? Would Xbox create a third SKU that's even stronger but also still held back by having to have the games run acceptably on Lockhart? It's not just resolutions we're talking about.

The Xbox One X is, to this day, still sold for around $500. I think it's quite a stretch to assume they'll be able to put out a stronger or equivalent console with modern architectures and features out of their hat for cheap all of a sudden.

99% of 'smart TV's' are absolute garbage and it's laughable to assume every TV out there with a cheap 2011 android chip would be able to decode a stream like that. Hence the box.
As long as it plays all the next-gen games, then yes I think people will be more than happy to take a hit on resolution if it means they get to save money. How do you think MS and Sony are going to make a $399-$499 console twice as powerful and more advanced than the X if you think it's a stretch for the Lockhart to match its power at a lower price?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
As far as serious speculation goes, the only reliable insider we have is Schreier saying Sony/MS are aiming higher than Stadia's 10.7TF. I also think 12TF is the absolute ceiling as to what we can expect so my prediction is both PS5/Anaconda end up somewhere in the 11TF neighborhood. I also have both at $499 for what that's worth.

But shit, I really wish this thread revolved less around GPU TF speculation. When we're about to jump from HDD to SSD and Jaguar to Zen 2, GPU is easily the least interesting part of the conversation.

How long before Stadia was revealed did sony/ms know it was going to be 10.7Tf? If they were caught off guard and those NAVI horror rumors are true, what are their options?

PS5 - 10TF
Lockhart - 8tf
Anaconda - 12tf
nintendo switch 2 - 16tf with folding screen

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No are a mix of things ..Nadella Spencer Panay Ms new money and investments ..words..speech..rumors and insiders
Basically all point at it
unless MS has managed to go with Arcturus and Zen 3, i just dont see how thats possible if they both go with $499 consoles. Why would Sony get a better or worse deal than MS from AMD, the GDDR6 manufacturers, the vapor chamber manufacturers, the SSD manufacturers, or the 4k bluray manufacturers? If anything, Sony could just make the SSDs and 4k drives themselves and save a little money whereas MS would have to go to third party manufacturers.

It makes no sense. Both consoles will be within 10% of each other unless MS is priced higher which they are bound to be if its Zen 3 and Arcturus since they are supposed to be on 7nm+.

Lastly, if MS is able to go with 7nm+, i dont see why Sony couldnt. When Phil made that statement, he was probably under the assumption that Sony would go with a $399 console. He probably thought Sony wouldnt dare release a power hungry console with an SSD at $399. MS doesnt have a magic wand. Yes, they have billions more than Sony but this is Sony's biggest moneymaker unlike MS. They have even more of an incentive to spend more money than MS.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
30$ USB Xbox stick will do the job, just like a chromecast.

Xcloud will probably be used mostly as an app. On your PC, on your iPad, on your phone, on your smart tv, etc. If you don't have a streamer or a modern enough smart tv, just buy an Xcloud USB stick.

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
How long before Stadia was revealed did sony/ms know it was going to be 10.7Tf? If they were caught off guard and those NAVI horror rumors are true, what are their options?

PS5 - 10TF
Lockhart - 8tf
Anaconda - 12tf
nintendo switch 2 - 16tf with folding screen

The way I intepret that comment from Schreier is that Sony/MS were already aiming higher than 10TF, not that it was a reaction to Stadia itself.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just want to ask, for those in the know about the NVIDIA>AMD Teraflops argument.
We got Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, TLOU 2.. all with 1.8TFLOPS by AMD's standards..
So.. is that like 800Gflops by Nvidia's standards? Because I keep reading online "12 Tflops for AMD is like 9-10 Tflops for Nvidia"

Im starting to think it isn't fair to make such comparisons. Or am I wrong here?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I edited to $249, I got my wires crossed.
Fact remains that it could have been their budget-entry into the Xbox ecosystem and yet they decided it to send it to retail at $249. Makes zero sense to expect a next-gen 6TF console with brand new hardware and modern architecture to retail at the same price when you look at the hardware differences. It gets even weirder when you consider that the current 6TF unit that's been on the market for over a year is still retailing at around $500.

That is, unless they suddenly decide to take huge losses on every single next-gen console. Doubt it.
It's $50 cheaper than the One S, which hasn't moved from its $299 MSRP since 2016. Even then, you always see the One S and X on sale multiple times a year. Hell, there will probably a $50 off deal in June so the SAD box will be $199, and then $149 in the holidays.

Also, the One X's price is already $399 with a game bundled in. 18 months after that? Probably $299 with a game.

If Lockhart is close to One X in specs, they can sell it for $299 without a game.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Just want to ask, for those in the know about the NVIDIA>AMD Teraflops argument.
We got Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War, TLOU 2.. all with 1.8TFLOPS by AMD's standards..
So.. is that like 800Gflops by Nvidia's standards? Because I keep reading online "12 Tflops for AMD is like 9-10 Tflops for Nvidia"

Im starting to think it isn't fair to make such comparisons. Or am I wrong here?
It's a pretty superficial way of talking about GPUs, mainly because not everything in a GPU performance is based on TF. But if you want to talk in a very general sense, the PS4 is ~1.4 NVIDIA Pascal TF.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Make your life easier: When comparing to PC GPUs, dont compare to Nvidia but AMD. So 12Tflop is between VEGA 56 and VEGA 64.

Nov 12, 2017
unless MS has managed to go with Arcturus and Zen 3, i just dont see how thats possible if they both go with $499 consoles. Why would Sony get a better or worse deal than MS from AMD, the GDDR6 manufacturers, the vapor chamber manufacturers, the SSD manufacturers, or the 4k bluray manufacturers? If anything, Sony could just make the SSDs and 4k drives themselves and save a little money whereas MS would have to go to third party manufacturers.

It makes no sense. Both consoles will be within 10% of each other unless MS is priced higher which they are bound to be if its Zen 3 and Arcturus since they are supposed to be on 7nm+.

Lastly, if MS is able to go with 7nm+, i dont see why Sony couldnt. When Phil made that statement, he was probably under the assumption that Sony would go with a $399 console. He probably thought Sony wouldnt dare release a power hungry console with an SSD at $399. MS doesnt have a magic wand. Yes, they have billions more than Sony but this is Sony's biggest moneymaker unlike MS. They have even more of an incentive to spend more money than MS.
Because I would bet my home that Sony will go 399 ...because they know the existence of Lockhart and they would never give 100/150 euro advantage
Sony is basically forced to go 399 or they will be very under pressure
If they will release a 500+ (like a 499 console is) console at 399 price that will compete with what is expected to be Anaconda well ...

Another option is that both Anaconda and ps5 are 399 consoles

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Make your life easier: When comparing to PC GPUs, dont compare to Nvidia but AMD. So 12Tflop is between VEGA 56 and VEGA 64.
Looking almost exclusively at TF is a pretty new thing, it really started with the PS4 and the XBO. Platform holders always shared some FLOPS data but it was never a big deal because usually it didn't mean much because the consoles where so different. The PS4 and XBO on the other hand use the same GPU architecture so it helps comparing the two.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Looking almost exclusively at TF is a pretty new thing, it really started with the PS4 and the XBO. Platform holders always shared some FLOPS data but it was never a big deal because usually it didn't mean much because the consoles where so different. The PS4 and XBO on the other hand use the same GPU architecture so it helps comparing the two.

Well yeah, GPUs on PS3/360 were close to nothing like their PC counterpart nor had one for multiple reasons.
From this generation and the next one though, we're looking at a close comparison, hence why the TF talk now. But we only do so because they are really close in term of architecture. Not because TF are a good measure of performances.

Nov 12, 2017
Sony would have set its MSRP target years ahead of the expected launch, before any knowledge of Lockheart.
If that was the case I think they would change the plan then.....marketing wise it make no sense ..would be shooting on their feet releasing a console that cost 100 or 150 Euro more than another one that play most of the same games ...and betting everything on the fact that the one that cost like you (499 Ana) would end to be 10% more or less powerful ..
If you ask me ...marketing wise it sound like a suicide ..but this is juts my opinion

Honestly how you think it would sound if Lockhart cost 100/150 euro less and Anaconda at the same price 499 is more powerful ?

No one would risk that

Ps. This is just because we speculating on price/perf targets ...of course

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
If that was the case I think they would change the plan then.....marketing wise it make no sense ..would be shooting on their feet releasing a console that cost 100 or 150 Euro more than another one that play most of the same games ...and betting everything on the fact that the one that cost like you (499 Ana) is 10% more or less powerful ..and not more
If you ask me ...marketing wise it sound like a suicide ..but this is juts my opinion

Honestly how you think it would sound if Lockhart cost 100/150 euro less and Anaconda at the same price 499 is more powerful ?

No one would risk that

Ps. This is just because we speculating on price/perf targets ...of course
Changing plans is hard. If you decide to sell a 499$ console for 399$ at the last moment, that's 100$ lose per console sold and if Sony is planning to sell ~15M PS5 consoles in its' first year, that's 1.5 billion dollars loss. In 2018 Sony made ~1B dollars, losing 1.5B dollars can put the whole company in the red for a full year.

Both companies have a plan in place and they are executing their plans for the past few years with very little wiggle room. If Sony is aiming at 499$, the PS5 will probably sell for 499$ and the same goes for Microsoft.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
At this point I strongly believe the PS5 and Scarlett will be the same price ($499) but Scarlett will be much faster, just based off all the rumours I've seen.

My opinion of course and can change at any time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At this point I strongly believe the PS5 and Scarlett will be the same price ($499) but Scarlett will be much faster, just based off all the rumours I've seen.

My opinion of course and can change at any time.

If they are priced the same and launched at around the same time, they'll likely be within spitting distance of eachother. And at that point it basically matters zero.

Unless there's a reason why you'd think Microsoft manages to squeeze more power out of the same hardware?

Nov 12, 2017
Changing plans is hard. If you decide to sell a 499$ console for 399$ at the last moment, that's 100$ lose per console sold and if Sony is planning to sell ~15M PS5 consoles in its' first year, that's 1.5 billion dollars loss. In 2018 Sony made ~1B dollars, losing 1.5B dollars can put the whole company in the red for a full year.

Both companies have a plan in place and they are executing their plans for the past few years with very little wiggle room. If Sony is aiming at 499$, the PS5 will probably sell for 499$ and the same goes for Microsoft.
Well man..if this is the true and ps5 wasn't set to be a 399 console .....Lockhart could have completely fucked their plan.
At least marketing wise

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

Wasn't 2018 Sony's strongest year in a long time? Playstation alone profited $2.8Bn in 2018. I would assume they know fully well they'll lose money on hardware, they always have. I don't think a theoretical $1.5Bn loss in order to get a large install base is something they worry about too much.

Computex: AMD's keynote May 27th

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Here is something tangible at least for people to watch instead of making up crazy guesses based on nothing, lol :) AMD is going to livestream Lisa Su's Computex keynote address - http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-livestream-dr-lisa-su-computex-2019-keynote Interesting note: "This will be the first time that a keynote speech will be delivered at the COMPUTEX pre-show international press conference."

My time conversion from Taiwan time to EST says that you can watch at 10:00 PM EST on Sunday night, May 26th then it sounds like.

There may be some interesting Navi tidbits and possibly even some nuggets pointing toward any partnerships with Microsoft.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
If they are priced the same and launched at around the same time, they'll likely be within spitting distance of eachother. And at that point it basically matters zero.

Unless there's a reason why you'd think Microsoft manages to squeeze more power out of the same hardware?
Zen 3 based processor with 3-way SMT and sporting a GPU using the full 64 CU. I've been thinking about it for some time and I've seen 2 pieces of evidence nearly 5 months apart saying the same thing from 2 different sources (one being the Imgur leak and the other the YouTube video). I believe the Imgur leak to be true and combined with some logic concerning yields and the 2 SKU release it all makes sense to me. Obviously I could be massively wrong but it's what I've been led to think with the sources at hand.

So yeah I strongly believe they'll both be the same price and the Xbox will be much faster based on that.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

more like 1.2TF

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Zen 3 based processor with 3-way SMT and sporting a GPU using the full 64 CU. I've been thinking about it for some time and I've seen 2 pieces of evidence nearly 5 months apart saying the same thing from 2 different sources (one being the Imgur leak and the other the YouTube video). I believe the Imgur leak to be true and combined with some logic concerning yields and the 2 SKU release it all makes sense to me. Obviously I could be massively wrong but it's what I've been led to think with the sources at hand.

So yeah I strongly believe they'll both be the same price and the Xbox will be much faster based on that.

Could you share that logic?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Wasn't 2018 Sony's strongest year in a long time? Playstation alone profited $2.8Bn in 2018. I would assume they know fully well they'll lose money on hardware, they always have. I don't think a theoretical $1.5Bn loss in order to get a large install base is something they worry about too much.
Yeah my bad, I made a mistake in the decimal point so 8 billion became 800 million :)

Nov 12, 2017
How? I can't follow your reasoning. Are we again under the assumption that power sells hardware and not brand, games and price?
in fact im mixing exatly all of those...

most games will be released on all three platforms ..lockhart,ps5,ana (in short, I am talking about all those blockbusters that the vast majority of the market is interested in buying and are the reason why they buy a console ...like cod/bf/assassinscreed/destiny/fifa etc etc etc)
these following the logic of price / performance ... you can play on a console that presumably will cost less (say 100/150 as I wrote previously)
So they remain in the high spectrum of the market with Ps5 against Anaconda ... consoles capable of running the same games with all the improvements that their hardware will allow ... so it will be power at the expense of the price something that will be of interest to enthusiasts gamers . But what if Anaconda is more powerful?

Of course there will be exclusives, and part of the sales will also be the result of this choice (although it is too early to say, given that we do not know what Microsoft will do with all the new studios)
what I mean ... is that for me ... it makes no sense at this point to release a 499 console for Sony ..everything is too risky and as you have just said the vast majority of people are more careful about the price and games than the teraflops

Every few posts from you and you do a Sony is doomed one, what's with you?
im intrigued by the different strategy...and i dont trust that ps5 is 499 for different reason i wrote
i never said sony is doomed...and i would never say that...ww ps sales will always win

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Here is something tangible at least for people to watch instead of making up crazy guesses based on nothing, lol :) AMD is going to livestream Lisa Su's Computex keynote address - http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-livestream-dr-lisa-su-computex-2019-keynote Interesting note: "This will be the first time that a keynote speech will be delivered at the COMPUTEX pre-show international press conference."

My time conversion from Taiwan time to EST says that you can watch at 10:00 PM EST on Sunday night, May 26th then it sounds like.

There may be some interesting Navi tidbits and possibly even some nuggets pointing toward any partnerships with Microsoft.

Yaaaaaay! Really late for my timezone, though. I'll watch it the next morning. I'm hoping for awesome news regarding the CPUs. I don't know if I should expect anything about Navi, as in explicit information. They'll probably run some benchmark or something on a Navi GPU without disclosing information other than "It's 7nm". Around Vega 64 performance at 250 would be reaaaaally nice to see, though.

Edit: A few months ago, I was actually hoping for 16cores kinda becoming mainstream with Zen 2 but I think I rode the wave a bit too much LOL. I don't think I could complain that much about a 12 core 24 thread $299 CPU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.