• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense in my mind for Sony to opt for higher performing hardware in the $500 price range, especially from a market share perspective.

- They have superior 1st party software, proven to be the key differentiator in overall sales.
- They would be alienating a significant chunk of their audience by pricing a whole $100 more than the predecessor console.
- They have a massive lead.

Also, what makes everyone think they are building one SKU only? Do insiders know this for sure?

If the price has been raised, it wouldn't have been done blindly. Sony could have compelling consumer marketing data that made them decide on a higher price point for all we know.

If the PS4 could sell for $399 for a good chunk of it's life without the need for a price drop, it's not outside the realm of possibility it taught Sony that $499 for early adopters is viable.

Taking into account the late generation MS shift in branding with the XB1X, and now the dual SKU rumor, do we really think Sony would want to be sandwiched between a hypothetical $299 and $499 competitors console?

From a marketing perspective, Sony building one premium console at $499 feels like it would be much easier to communicate to consumers than trying to market "we're the middle priced console with the middle quality experience."

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the price has been raised, it wouldn't have been done blindly. Sony could have compelling consumer marketing data that made them decide on a higher price point for all we know.

If the PS4 could sell for $399 for a good chunk of it's life without the need for a price drop, it's not outside the realm of possibility it taught Sony that $499 for early adopters is viable.

Taking into account the late generation MS shift in branding with the XB1X, and now the dual SKU rumor, do we really think Sony would want to be sandwiched between a hypothetical $299 and $499 competitors console?

From a marketing perspective, Sony building one premium console at $499 feels like it would be much easier to communicate to consumers than trying to market "we're the middle priced console with the middle quality experience."
True and on top of that first 2 years most games are cross gen and for that Sony will launch a 199 PS4 to combat the 299 Lockhart since both will be playing mostly same games anyway as ps4 is selling amazing at 299 still.so a 199 version will do them wonders

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
this thread cares way too much about TF number, who is stronger etc.
does it really matter for you? the only difference you will see from the TF number between the 2 consoles will just be resolution (and not even a major advantage in the resolution compared to ps4 vs x1 or x1x vs ps4 pro).
here is what that should matter:
we are still getting at the very least more than 5x the TF jump compared to the PS4.
we are getting ray tracing, which means developers will work to support it in their engine and advance real time ray tracing for gaming.
we are getting a huge CPU upgrade that will help make cities super dense like you see in the cyberpunk 2077 demo.
we are getting faster and bigger ram, which means better looking textures and more complexity.

and most importantly,
we are getting an SSD that is many, many times faster than the HDD we currently have on the PS4, and that has "higher bandwidth than any current SSD on the market".

not everything revolves around TF numbers you know, and we really have no reason to complain.
All true, but the reason why it is a main topic lies just in the fact that it is the only spec we can predict some sort of performance figure even it is theoretical. We have no other metric available now. This will change the moment the consoles are launched and we actually can benchmark them.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Resolutiongate say something ? Price / performance was on the top of the reasons ..absolutely .....

Does anyone actually believe there will be a 40-50% difference in power between the Anaconda and PS5 though?

The difference between 900p(or even sometimes 720p) on the Xbox One and full 1080p on the PS4, with the PS4 also being cheaper to buy, is not something that will be replicated this generation unless whoever is less powerful *really* screws up.

At the moment there are a lot of conflicting rumours as to which is most powerful re: TF. But SSD, RAM and RAM bandwidth will also play a role in technical capability of the consoles.

Even if one console is more powerful than the other at $500, the difference is likely to be basically meaningless - 10-15% based on the rumours we have so far. Even DF will be hard pressed to find any difference in the games if that is the case.

Like other people have said, there is a very interesting narrative being pushed in this thread. MS being guaranteed more powerful, how being more powerful is the be all and end all, that a 10-15% increase in power with Anaconda over PS5 will be game changing.

I full expect both Anaconda and PS5 to fall between 11-14TF. Whichever one is more powerful is unlikely to have a significant advantage that will result in tangible benefits for consumers when it comes to the TF value. Differentiators that would have large benefits would be if one had SSD and the other not, or one had ray tracing and the other not. Those are more unknowns and for my money much more interesting.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Og Xbox hw was like that because Kinect was mandatory.
Xbox one x came out a year later because it was feasible a year later to have a 12gddr5 6TF console a that price not because Panay couldn't match 4 TF pro specs ....they wanted 4k games and they waited (IMHO was the best choice)

Sharp's post was just facts. Simply a statement of how one product can be better than another and also cheaper.

Regardless of PR hints from whichever side, we don't know enough technical information to make any realistic or meaningful comparisons. *everything* is speculation and *anything* is still very much possible

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft had to take 1 extra year and make X1X 100% more expensive to beat PS4 Pro.
This is strange because I don't believe "they had to" - we don't know what would've happened if both were launched at the same time. The X wasn't an answer for the Pro, it was a machine MS wanted to launch anyway. Additionally, the Pro and the X not only differ in GPU and CPU but also generally in terms of cooling, for example. The X was and is a premium console and thus priced as such, the Pro is an upgrade to the base PS4.
The whole post reads like a repitition of "Sony is a hardware company!" which I don't think is really true.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is entitled to their opinion... but the number of people who are utterly convinced that Sony couldn't possibly be more performant or move into a higher price point since day one of the thread (and even much of the last thread) is extremely interesting.

Phil has really done a number on you for you to not even entertain the *idea* that Sony might change up the plan or compete in a different way than you expect. If MS can change up their whole strategy and focus on streaming / services / dual console — why is any notion of Sony moving outside their pattern so fiercely rejected?

At that point you aren't speculating, you are just saying what you want/hope to happen and disguising it as "speculation".

We don't know anything right now — Sony or MS could play their hand in ANY way they feel they need to and justify it to shareholders etc as they see fit afterwards.

The thread, and posts like that, become easier to reconcile when you remember Reset is a US centric forum.

It's the only reason why posts outlining why Xbox might dominate next gen or those painting the market leader as underdogs aren't laughed out of the room.

Nov 12, 2017
Does anyone actually believe there will be a 40-50% difference in power between the Anaconda and PS5 though?

The difference between 900p(or even sometimes 720p) on the Xbox One and full 1080p on the PS4, with the PS4 also being cheaper to buy, is not something that will be replicated this generation unless whoever is less powerful *really* screws up.

At the moment there are a lot of conflicting rumours as to which is most powerful re: TF. But SSD, RAM and RAM bandwidth will also play a role in technical capability of the consoles.

Even if one console is more powerful than the other at $500, the difference is likely to be basically meaningless - 10-15% based on the rumours we have so far. Even DF will be hard pressed to find any difference in the games if that is the case.

Like other people have said, there is a very interesting narrative being pushed in this thread. MS being guaranteed more powerful, how being more powerful is the be all and end all, that a 10-15% increase in power with Anaconda over PS5 will be game changing.

I full expect both Anaconda and PS5 to fall between 11-14TF. Whichever one is more powerful is unlikely to have a significant advantage that will result in tangible benefits for consumers when it comes to the TF value. Differentiators that would have large benefits would be if one had SSD and the other not, or one had ray tracing and the other not. Those are more unknowns and for my money much more interesting.
As I said multiple time i just dont believe that the ps5 will have the price/hw of a 499 console because in my opinion if Lockhart is 299 will be the console who will sell more out of the gate. And I don't think that at Sony are this naive. At 399 vs 499 probably to have 35% or little bit more performance is possible

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France
The thread, and posts like that, become easier to reconcile when you remember Reset is a US centric forum.

It's the only reason why posts outlining why Xbox might dominate next gen or those painting the market leader as underdogs aren't laughed out of the room.

100% agree with that.. We are a Sony-Nintendo country here in France.
I absolutely do not see Xbox leading the market here. Each ecosystem is so deep rooted...

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That's probably it. I always forget the majority of era is probably from US. If only they were able to see how little Xbox is known in europe, here it's all about sony and nintendo, it's not even a contest.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have final numbers for 360 sales in the US? Numbers I found were from when they were around 75m ww, but it was about 40m at that time. Not too different from the Ones' lifetime sales.

I wonder what percentage of overlap there is between XB1 users, and those US 360 users...

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I am french same remark but living now in Spain and living before in Switzerland. Going often to Germany and Luxembourg for professional reason and having family there. It the same in many continental Europe country.

The last few pages were full of 4chan nonsense.

Imo there is no chance the we will have an hybrid HDD and SSD as a cache on PS5. I think Sony will use a custom SSD solution maybe soldered to the motherboard and external HDD will be used for store more games. Each time you want to play one of the game on HDD you need to copy it on the SSD. And it will help with one Insomniac problem when developing Spiderman about people changing storage for a slower one. And maybe the SSD will be faster than PCIE 3 solution but slower than PCIE4 solution.

Imo I think out of official talk or Mark Cerny there is only two valid rumors for PS5. The first one is the rumor with HBM2 and DDR4 memory seeing as a single memory pool with HBCC. Because one codename leak corroborate this rumor, the Ariel leak.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/ap5vq4/forget_the_matrix_its_now_all_about_princesses/

Ariel Root Complex.

-Ariel IOMMU.

-Ariel PCIe Dummy Host Bridge.

-Ariel PCIe GPP Bridge.

-Ariel PCIe Dummy Host Bridge.

-Ariel Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus A.

-Ariel Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B.

-Ariel SMBus Controller.

-Ariel LPC Bridge.

That an IOMMU and two separate buses are mentioned might indicate the PS5 will have two memory pools that can be addressed as a single large pool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/commen...tion_5_price_leaks_and_it_aint_cheap/ekxsjlv/

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/7926-samsung-vs-tsmc-7nm-update.html

If this rumor is false it is the best console fake of all time. A hard one to invent and very plausible one.

The other rumor on PS side is the AMD Gonzalo codename leak. The first one is engineering sample at 1Ghz and the second one qualification sample at 1,8Ghz.

On Xbox side I don't believe any rumors out of the reddit rumors, later confirmed by jeuxvideo.com, part of it by an MS insider on resetera and part of it by Richard Leadbetter at Digitalfoundry.

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Yeah it does make a lot of sense. Most of the rationale behind these thoughts are "MS said their console would be the best", or "the xbox one x, a console that released a year after the PS4 pro and for $100 more than the pro, is more powerful than the pro". So basically buying up PR and regurgitating it. It may be true, but outside of MS's statements we don't have any solid info.

I find it very interesting in this thread that any sources that suggest the PS5 is powerful, any suggestions that it could be as powerful or more powerful than the Anaconda are completely pooped upon. If you look at the attitudes to any leaks suggesting the PS5 is powerful they are basically dismissed. There is a very strange cohort of users who seem to be rooting for the PS5 to be weak.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Does anyone know if dev kits are out in the wild yet?
nobody here knows right now, but considering that tomorrow will be a full month after the wired article and that the official reason given for the article was getting ahead of dev kits, it makes sense if they were already sent.

I am french same remark but living now in Spain and living before in Switzerland. Going often to Germany and Luxembourg for professional reason and having family there. It the same in many continental Europe country.

The last few pages were full of 4chan nonsense.

Imo there is no chance the we will have an hybrid HDD and SSD as a cache on PS5. I think Sony will use a custom SSD solution maybe soldered to the motherboard and external disc will be used for store more games. And maybe the SSD will be faster than PCIE 3 solution but slower than PCIE4 solution. Each time you want to play one of the game on HDD you need to copy it on the SSD. And it will help with one Insomniac problem when developing Spiderman about people changing storage for a slower one.

Imo I think out of official talk or Mark Cerny there is only two valid rumors for PS5. The first one is the rumor with HBM2 and DDR4 memory seeing as a single memory pool with HBCC. Because one codename leak corroborate this rumor, the Ariel leak.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/ap5vq4/forget_the_matrix_its_now_all_about_princesses/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/commen...tion_5_price_leaks_and_it_aint_cheap/ekxsjlv/

The other rumor on PS side is the AMD Gonzalo codename leak. The first one is 1Ghz and the second one with 1,8Ghz.

On Xbox side I don't believe any rumors out of the reddit rumors, later confirmed by jeuxvideo.com, part of it by an MS insider on resetera and part of it by Richard Leadbetter at Digitalfoundry.
just to avoid confusion 1Ghz and 1.8Ghz are of the same source and the 1Ghz was just in the testing phase while the 1.8Ghz is much more closer to locked APU state.
regarding the HBM+DDR4 rumor... i am not sure. wouldnt you go with a higher HBM speed?

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Is a dual storage (ssd + hdd) a possibility?
Or would a, let's say, 1TB ssd + usb storage a solution that makes more sense?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v"
"allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec."
So minimum 41* 435GB/s = 17.8tf, doesn't make sense
i am pretty sure that he flipped around the measure, but i am not exactly sure myself i always get confused.

Is a dual storage (ssd + hdd) a possibility?
Or would a, let's say, 1TB ssd + usb storage a solution that makes more sense?
my assumption is roughly 500GB of SSD with 1/2TB of HDD, when the 4 or 5 most recently played games will be saved on the SSD.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
"InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v"
"allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec."
So minimum 41* 435GB/s = 17.8tf, doesn't make sense

This is a typo, I don't remember the true calculation but anexanhume dit the real calculation giving a minimum of 9 Tflops and a maximum of 13,5 Tflops if I remember well and talk with the guy on mp about the cost, the contract means for Sony HBM2 will only be 35 to 40 % more expensive than GDDR6. After maybe it is the most elaborated fake console leak of all time.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
You mean the same one which existed for the PS3 and still exists for PS4 PRO? Yeah nah. Most people don't fall for damage control like that.
You mean the same one which existed for the PS3 and still exists for PS4 PRO? Yeah nah. Most people don't fall for damage control like that.
I have absolutely no idea why you've decided this was the reply to go with. What exactly is your point?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
nobody here knows right now, but considering that tomorrow will be a full month after the wired article and that the official reason given for the article was getting ahead of dev kits, it makes sense if they were already sent.

just to avoid confusion 1Ghz and 1.8Ghz are of the same source and the 1Ghz was just in the testing phase while the 1.8Ghz is much more closer to locked APU state.
regarding the HBM+DDR4 rumor... i am not sure. wouldnt you go with a higher HBM speed?

I know for the AMD Gonzalo.

I think 537,4 Gbs of bandwith is ok and probably real bandwith is probably not so far from a 24Gb GDDR6 solution. I know AMD have a patent to help on this side but I think it attenuates the problem and don´t solve it fully. And the cost is probably cheaper than 24Gb of GDDR6 solution. And soon after launch with 1 stack HDBM3 and dual channel DDR5 much cheaper. Another problem is cost reduction with a 384 bits solution.

On Xbox Side I forget one credible rumor, the Dante rumor with 48 Gb of Ram. I think Anaconda will have 24 Gb of GDDR6 not 16 Gb like in the first rumor.

EDIT: For sharing things between CPU and GPU on PS5, they will maybe have like in PS4 something like the bus Onion + and bypassing the cache.

Another Edit: After the Wired MArk Cerny interview Digitalfoundry said they heard a rumor about a 1Tb SSD on PS5 but they didn´t believe it before Mark Cerny talked about SSD.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
This is a typo, I don't remember the true calculation but anexanhume dit the real calculation giving a minimum of 9 Tflops and a maximum of 13,5 Tflops if I remember well and talk with the guy on mp about the cost, the contract means for Sony HBM2 will only be 35 to 40 % more expensive than GDDR6. After maybe it is the most elaborated fake console leak of all time.
So maybe above 40 bandwidth/flops that means minimum 435/41 = 10.6tflops or (435+102)/41 = 13.9tf

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yawn... the TF talk is getting boring now.

Can't wait for MS to give us a next gen teaser at E3 so the discussion sees a bit of a shift.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I have absolutely no idea why you've decided this was the reply to go with. What exactly is your point?
The point is damage control means nothing and will be obvious to most people. I wasn't taking shots. If the objective news comes out that something is performing at an inferior level compared the competition and then things start cropping up saying it doesn't matter or its irrelevant, it won't fool many people who aren't completely unaware of what's going on. Maybe I shouldn't have been so abrupt and explained myself properly.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yes.

It was 40-50GB/s per TF. 8.7 to 10.87TF if you count HBM bandwidth only. 10.7 to 13.4 if you count DDR bandwidth too.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I know for the AMD Gonzalo.

I think 530,4 Gbs of bandwith is ok and probably real bandwith is probably not so far from a 24Gb GDDR6 solution. I know AMD have a patent to help on this side but I think it attenuates the problem and don´t solve it fully. And the cost is probably cheaper than 24Gb of GDDR6 solution. And soon after launch with 1 stack HDBM3 and dual channel DDR5 much cheaper. Another problem is cost reduction with a 384 bits solution.

On Xbox Side I forget one credible rumor, the Dante rumor with 48 Gb of Ram. I think Anaconda will have 24 Gb of GDDR6 not 16 Gb like in the first rumor.

EDIT: For sharing things between CPU and GPU on PS5, they will maybe have like in PS4 something like the bus Onion + and bypassing the cache.

Another Edit: After the Wired MArk Cerny interview Digitalfoundry said they heard a rumor about a 1Tb SSD on PS5 but they didn´t believe it before Mark Cerny talked about SSD.
how much bandwidth do you think will be reached with a 24GB? i am sorry i just do not know how to calculate the memory bandwidth.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
how much bandwidth do you think will be reached with a 24GB? i am sorry i just do not know how to calculate the memory bandwidth.

672 Gb/s for 24 Gb of GDDR6 but without patent of AMD, CPU on PS4 if CPU needed 10 Gb of bandwith it was 20 Gb of bandwith consumption. For 50 Gb/s of bandwith consumption it would be 100 Gb/d and for 100 Gb/s of bandwith consumption it would be 200 Gb/s. It will be interesting to see Zen2 benchmark with different type of memory.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Does anyone here have some weird sort of OCD whereby they like to start a new generation with a brand new gamertag/PSN ID? With family sharing, it means all your games are still available to play but you have a blank trophy/achievement list. I'm thinking of doing it.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The ariel leak could have lead to one type of memory like OS and one type of memory for games but why showing it as a single pool of memory? You could hide the OS memory to the devs.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Which would make sense, isn't that how they do with the PS4 Pro ddr3?

Yes it is like they did with PS4 Pro DDR3 but if it was the case no need for HBCC. The ariel codename leak leads to differents type of memory the devs will need to work with.

EDIT: Out of the typo every line of this leak is credible. From Samsung wafer pricing to Info_Ms. The biggest problem was HBM2 cost but HBM2 work with contract if the guy told the truth it is plausible and another things he didn´t say Sony will only use HBM2 other consumer doesn't want but it is part of the production Sony will use. This is a contract for HBM, every things count. It could help Sony to have the price they want.

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes it is like they did with PS4 Pro DDR3 but if it was the case no need for HBCC. The ariel codename leak leads to differents type of memory the devs will need to work with.

I'm always up for a memory pool for OS... Heck CPU is currently bottlenecking Main OS interface when you jump from the game back to the menu.

Someone get Jim Keller on the line and tell him Ryzen is a beast.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah it does make a lot of sense. Most of the rationale behind these thoughts are "MS said their console would be the best", or "the xbox one x, a console that released a year after the PS4 pro and for $100 more than the pro, is more powerful than the pro". So basically buying up PR and regurgitating it. It may be true, but outside of MS's statements we don't have any solid info.

I find it very interesting in this thread that any sources that suggest the PS5 is powerful, any suggestions that it could be as powerful or more powerful than the Anaconda are completely pooped upon. If you look at the attitudes to any leaks suggesting the PS5 is powerful they are basically dismissed. There is a very strange cohort of users who seem to be rooting for the PS5 to be weak.

Can we please keep these console warz type posts to a minimum here?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm always up for a memory pool for OS... Heck CPU is currently bottlenecking Main OS interface when you jump from the game back to the menu.

Someone get Jim Keller on the line and tell him Ryzen is a beast.

In PS4 Pro case, devs did not need see the DDR3. In Ariel leak it seems IOMMU and the two separate bus leads to memory using HBCC and devs having to work with two types of memory.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
That's not what it was about, at all.
A lot of these posts stem from wishful thinking for the posters favorite console and not anything reliable. All we know for sure in how the consoles stack up is that MS intends to be the leader in power and they likely have a 2 console strategy. We also have the wired interview which has some tidbits but can't speak to much. We have 1000s of posts speculating with very little to go on. It's fun to imagine different scenarios but the power discussion is premature at this point. These boxes could be similar or one could blow the other out of the water for all we know.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I never posted here, and this thread moves too fast, so I have a question.
If 4k and 30fps is going to be the norm, how realistic is to expect that PS5 and the more expensive version of Xbox have a feature where I can choose to play in 1080p and 60fps? Honestly, I'm not in a hurry to get a 4k TV as long as my Panasonic plasma works.

Status
Not open for further replies.