• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread - MY ANACONDA DON'T WANT NONE

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 37 1.8%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 51 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 902 42.7%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 497 23.5%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 443 21.0%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 184 8.7%

• Total voters
May 19, 2018
No, it'll continue to be the OG/360 BC that we got for the Xbox One with a possible boost even further beyond what the X got.
Are you certain of this? Why did that Klobrille image showing the multiple SKU's have a section on backwards compatible? I had always assumed it was going to say full OG and 360 back compat. If it was no different why was it mentioned?

Oct 25, 2017
Are you certain of this? Why did that Klobrille image showing the multiple SKU's have a section on backwards compatible? I had always assumed it was going to say full OG and 360 back compat. If it was no different why was it mentioned?
Every game that is on Xbox One BC is repackaged to run on x86, it allows the game to run in the wrapper essentially as a native Xbox One game. The Scarlett consoles will be BC with Xbox One and every BC title on Xbox One.

Since games have to run off hard drives, it forces all those games to be digital downloads which in turn requires reupping licenses. There are games that won't ever come to BC simply due to licensing roadblocks.

Oct 29, 2017
Pack it up guys and gals, there's no use in speculating anymore... Pachter thinks the PS5 will come in at $300!

:D

EDIT.
I think Pachter just gave us a tagline for the next gen... "Asses will be lost!"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Pack it up guys and gals, there's no use in speculating anymore... Pachter thinks the PS5 will come in at $300!

EDIT.
I think Pachter just gave us a tagline for the next gen... "Asses will be lost!"
ok, speculate all you want, but it absolutely wont beat a 499 xbox.... right?

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 will be at least $299. Will have at least 5 teraflops of power and at least 12gb of ram. The CPU will be at least 50% faster than the jaguars.
Well shit, I thought they were just gonna scratch the 4 off of the PS4's and scribble in a 5 with a Sharpie. I like your plan a lot better! ;)

ok, speculate all you want, but it absolutely wont beat a 499 xbox.... right?
Nah son, Sony'll take a $400 loss on each console and come in at 42.9% faster than Anaconda

PetohKing

Alt account
Apr 16, 2019
Can

EDIT.
Back in 2013 we saw a lot of panic about how mobile was going to kill consoles...

Amazon, Google and Apple are big, but you cannot underestimate the brand power of PlayStation.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be really interested to see if any of this supposed RT hardware gets applied to things other than obvious applications like graphics / audio. Hypothetically then whatever general compute RT support both consoles have could be functional rather than visual, while dedicated hardware RT could provide support for visuals / audio as well?
The expensive operation in ray tracing is a line test, which is also a basic primitive of collision detection. Almost anything you do to speed up ray tracing, also speeds up spatial queries for other systems, like sound, AI, physics, particle systems, cloth, etc. (which, IMHO is also where that power would be better spent, rather than slightly improving lighting)

No, BC not only depends on code but also on licenses for used music and other licensed parts used in a game. Even the game can be limited to a platform and thus the contract has to be renewed under a new license.
That's not really true for hw level BC. You're thinking about rereleases of legacy games on new hardware and new distribution playforms.

BC of a pure ROM or legacy game disc, where the code has not been changed at all to make it work and the hardware handles all the emulation, requires no re-upping of licences. That's why its the most ideal form of BC for providing access to the largest legacy content library.

Oct 8, 2018
That's not really true for hw level BC. You're thinking about rereleases of legacy games on new hardware and new distribution playforms.

BC of a pure ROM or legacy game disc, where the code has not been changed at all to make it work and the hardware handles all the emulation, requires no re-upping of licences. That's why its the most ideal form of BC for providing access to the largest legacy content library.
So if the emulator forces higher resolution from the game but not directly changes the game code, would that still bypass the licenses?

Nov 12, 2017
So if the emulator forces higher resolution from the game but not directly changes the game code, would that still bypass the licenses?
The original code is still the same and only the interpretation is being changed, so no relicensing required.

Now, if you want to publish an old game online again, that's another story even if the code is unchanged.

Sure. The console can output the game in 540p on a CRT TV or 720p or 1080p.

The licence doesn't impact the rendering resolution or any of the technical aspects of the game.

The licence deals more with the control of that instance or copy of software and how its sold.

Oct 30, 2017
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • 2TB storage (SSD + custom).
  • BC with all previous Playstations.
  • Minor changes to DS5, also has IR camera.
  • Launches worldwide September 2020.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• No plans for any upcoming PS4 first party titles to be cross gen at release.
  • All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • LP is also making a FF15 PS5 Edition for launch.
  • DQXI with added content will be on PS5.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

Those are the only things confirmed for now as planning is underway.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just not
Yes, but BC isn't done like that anyone. It's now a route to provide digitally repackaged games. So you can either grab a copy using the original disk as a key, or more likely, buy it from a digital storefront.

I can't think of anyone doing it in the traditional way now, but hopefully next gen will bring it back, at least for this generation's games.

Jan 21, 2019

I mean.. maybe. But Xbox BC indeed does not touch the code at all. And yet, Xbox has not chosen to try to release all games, even though we know that there are some games that they've tested and verified but not released. It's possible MS is just trying to keep up relationships or is playing it safe legally, but I think it's likely that it simply isn't that easy. I'm sure no one making deals for 360 were planning ahead to software emulation next gen. There's no way they would have possibly expected that. As a result, I believe that technically MS has to republish all of those games onto the Xbox One themselves to some degree, meaning that licensing must be updated to reflect that.

We'll see whether or not all Xbox ONE games are automatically BC next gen.

Can

Back in 2013 we saw a lot of panic about how mobile was going to kill consoles...

Amazon, Google and Apple are big, but you cannot underestimate the brand power of PlayStation.
What's your point? That streaming isn't the future? Or that consoles will survive regardless?

I mean, yea, totally. People were so down on consoles in 2013, even among the console manufacturers and game publishers, and that didn't keep consoles down. But, it's not just PlayStation, Nintendo is at historic highs and even Xbox is doing far better than anyone would have expected in 2012. We won't see consoles going away, but that doesn't mean that the business/delivery models that have sustained them are immune to change or too big to fail. Arcades are proof enough. It may be hard to imagine, but clearly the point is that lots of "hard to imagine" things happen all the time.

Oct 8, 2018
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

These are a lot of words while trying to say nothing and repeat other stuff as well (FP launch windows is almost copied from jasons comment on kotaku for example.)

PetohKing

Alt account
Apr 16, 2019
I mean.. maybe. But Xbox BC indeed does not touch the code at all. And yet, Xbox has not chosen to try to release all games, even though we know that there are some games that they've tested and verified but not released. It's possible MS is just trying to keep up relationships or is playing it safe legally, but I think it's likely that it simply isn't that easy. I'm sure no one making deals for 360 were planning ahead to software emulation next gen. There's no way they would have possibly expected that. As a result, I believe that technically MS has to republish all of those games onto the Xbox One themselves to some degree, meaning that licensing must be updated to reflect that.

We'll see whether or not all Xbox ONE games are automatically BC next gen.

What's your point? That streaming isn't the future? Or that consoles will survive regardless?

I mean, yea, totally. People were so down on consoles in 2013, even among the console manufacturers and game publishers, and that didn't keep consoles down. But, it's not just PlayStation, Nintendo is at historic highs and even Xbox is doing far better than anyone would have expected in 2012. We won't see consoles going away, but that doesn't mean that the business/delivery models that have sustained them are immune to change or too big to fail. Arcades are proof enough. It may be hard to imagine, but clearly the point is that lots of "hard to imagine" things happen all the time.
The infrastructure for game steaming to become widespread still doesn't exist here in the US. It won't for quite a while. Consoles are here to stay.

Jan 21, 2019
Yea.. this leak seems a bit much. Especially since they have deep knowledge of what 1st and 3rd party studios are/are not involved + their detailed plans of support, but haven't even given a timeframe for when the reveal will be? Crazy if it's all true though.

The infrastructure for game steaming to become widespread still doesn't exist here in the US. It won't for quite a while. Consoles are here to stay.
Ok? I don't think anyone is saying they're going away. Except like Yves maybe. And even then, people are talking about next NEXT gen 7-10 years down the line. Consoles will persist. But that doesn't mean that consoles will look, work, and be used the same way they are right now forever. In fact, it's almost impossible that they would. Xbox Live fundamentally changed console gaming forever. Instantaneous worldwide digital distribution changed console gaming forever. You can't seriously tell me that you expect major changes to the industry to just stop now.

I know you're not. I'm just saying that saying "consoles will still be here" is an uninteresting and uncontested statement. No one is saying they're going away. Not PlayStation, not Xbox, not even Nintendo.

Who would be in a position to know all of that? The people who are making up these leaks always screw it up by pretending to know the launch window release plans of multiple AAA publishers in addition to the specs. If you want to make the leak look realistic just ask yourself, would a dev working on the current version of the devkit know about this? If the answer is no just don't include it in your bullshit leak.

There is no single person on this planet with that level of insight into Sony's first party developement plans and Square -Enix's as well as Rockstar's next gen release plans. Not even high ranking Playstation executives, who would not be able to just spit out the specs right on the spot since they are executives, not developers.

Just put some effort into these leaks ffs.

May 10, 2019
I think marketing wise the LockHart has two major hurdles to overcome.
1) The marketing focus on Anaconda is inevitably going to make it less attractive. You can't place "it's a monster" next to "it's affordable I guess" and not expect people to feel like it's just a worse deal.
Most "budget conscious gamers" don't buy consoles at launch, so they'll just wait for Anaconda to get cheap, or go for PS5 (which just has to market itself)
2) People that worry over console budget probably don't want to buy all those games again by switching to Xbox.
GP can ameliorate this, but it's hardly a perfect fix

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, leave for a while and come back to talk about how the PC target may hold back Xbox next gen games compared to Sony. I don't think many people understand the reality that developers target high to start and tailor down as necessary for other platforms, which is what the Xbox One X dev kit and no doubt the next gen Scarlett dev kit will enable too. Gears of War 4 and the Forza games are amazing on PC and certainly didn't impact the Xbox versions in any negative manner.
I love Gears as much as the next guy, but we all know what it takes to make a game like that work, (slow walking sections, elevators, areas where you have to lift up something and it crumbles behind you, one way doors, one way jumps etc etc) we see these in a lot of other great games as well because that’s what the hardware needs to make the game feasible.

Gears of War and Forza aren’t designed around a requirement of a top speed SSD. But they do need to be designed in a way that they can be read off 5400rpm drives with certain read speeds. All games are designed like that this gen and that’s fine. But mine & Fruity ’s discussion isn’t about how games are designed this gen, but the hypothetical floors / ceilings of games that can be designed around very high speed storage systems next-gen — and what can happen when you only need to design to account for one (Sony), vs what might happen if you need to account for multiple targets. If MS needs to make their games for Xboxes AND PC’s then they can run into the same balancing decisions 3rd party developers will have to make. We won’t see the impact of that during the cross-gen phase, but it can be an issue later in the gen. Sony and it’s high floor one spec target can push further than MS would be able to if they still want to run on PCs that don’t match Lock/Ana’s read speeds. They might still need to use methods like Gears (and others games) uses today.

They can get around that by either asking for a higher base spec in PCs (which I stated), or maybe restricting the higher demand games to streaming (in which case I guess they wouldn’t be running on the PC anyway). That’s what we were talking about.

Last edited:
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

So fake I will take any 4chan leak over this

So fake I will take any 4chan leak over this
This guy knows so much, he probably also knows what TV I have in my room and how often I dust the TV stand.
At least try to sound realistic captain know-it-all. The account is also a throw away unlike ruthenicCookie, so I believe it even less.

Checked RuthenicCookies account again. He is suggesting that the PS5 will be 500-600$.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

Eh i thought Luminous is pretty much done with Tabata leaving?

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, as fake as the leak sounds, Squeenix repackaging FFXV for yet another version to resell sounds super believable to me lol.
RDR2 “double dip edition” also sounds believable given how R* played the GTAV releases. Much more beliable to me than GTAVI launching next-gen only at console launch.

Probably, but having full BC with everything WOULD mean that Sony would no longer need to make PS3 chipsets for their PS Now servers - the server racks could just be nothing but PS5 hardware from here on out. That would be fantastic for them.
This was the only reason I’m still willing to believe that PS5 will be capable of PS3 BC. Those existing blades have to EoL at som Epping and Sony must have a plan to replace them. They won’t want to be making PS3 hardware forever.

Eh i thought Luminous is pretty much done with Tabata leaving?
The announcement was that they are done with FFXV not in general.

Funnily enough, as fake as the leak sounds, Squeenix repackaging FFXV for yet another version to resell sounds super believable to me lol.
RDR2 “double dip edition” also sounds believable given how R* played the GTAV releases. Much more beliable to me than GTAVI launching next-gen only at console launch.
Yeah, these are things that are supposed to make it sound more believable.

Feb 26, 2018
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

Too good to be true. Just to much info for a leak

BC part is kinda hmmm. Paying for ps5 patches is a bad idea. I hope this is not something Sony mandates

New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

I believe that even Shu doesn't know this much about the PS5.

May 10, 2019
he even knows exactly who will be at the reveal event which probably even sony doesn't know yet.
I feel that a rep for a company would be told who else is on stage with them, and he doesn't mention their games, which adds up.

What doesn't is that he has no actual date or timeframe for the reveal itself, or that he would know specific TF details (Era bait), without any other marketing strategy (the widely reported "no loading times")