• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The reason I didn't post the specific specs is because I can't verify that part and I don't want to post stuff I can't validate for myself :) It's not based on that Reddit post though, no. Different numbers.

The stuff I can validate was the stuff I posted already (differentiation between the two SKU).

The specs on the one hand and the marketing differentiation on the other come from two completely different documents independent from each other.
Thanks for the clarification.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think that the pastebin rumor (December 3rd 2018) originates from this one (February 24th 2018), my french is terrible but I think it's very similar. It's from different users but it's weird, I think it's probably fake since how would someone in the beginning of 2018 know that much information about a console that will release at the end of 2020? Can someone with good french please compare the two? Thank you.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The reason I didn't post the specific specs is because I can't verify that part and I don't want to post stuff I can't validate for myself :) It's not based on that Reddit post though. Different numbers.

The stuff I can validate was the stuff I posted already (differentiation between the two SKU).
So you have numbers from a source you can't verify so you are holding out? Fair enough. I hope these consoles are all strong. Would be nice to see some serious advancements especially considering that decent CPUs are in the picture again. Hoping for some real advancement in AI and Physics.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Completely independent from each other, yes. Hence why I'm having trouble to validate the specs (and never claimed otherwise by the way). If I don't post something ... I have reasons to do so.
I saw already you edited your post. Again thanks for the clarification.

Don't spoil too much ;) And you can give me the other document I will confirm it for you *joking*

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think that the pastebin rumor (December 3rd 2018) originates from this one (February 24th 2018), my french is terrible but I think it's very similar. It's from different users but it's weird, I think it's probably fake since how would someone in the beginning of 2018 know that much information about a console that will release at the end of 2020? Can someone with good french please compare the two? Thank you.

I am french and the french rumor told no SSD... Not reliable at all.

EDIT: But I don't find the pastebin reliable too, just my opinion...

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
By the way, so I take it that the idea of a two stage storage set up is not favourable as opposed to a single one. I don't know how Sony or MS would like to pull off 1 or 2TB NVMe soldered onto the board without driving up the price as opposed to a 240/480GB NAND cache + 1 TB SATA 3 SSD set up (then again, I am unsure of that latter's pricing conditions as well).

And that begs the question, WHAT kind of size are we looking at on AVERAGE for AAA games and whether it means we are going to see multiple BDs (unless both consoles will support 4 layer BD player).

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
By the way, so I take it that the idea of a two stage storage set up is not favourable as opposed to a single one. I don't know how Sony or MS would like to pull off 1 or 2TB NVMe soldered onto the board without driving up the price as opposed to a 240/480GB NAND cache + 1 TB SATA 3 SSD set up (then again, I am unsure of that latter's pricing conditions as well).

And that begs the question, WHAT kind of size are we looking at on AVERAGE for AAA games and whether it means we are going to see multiple BDs (unless both consoles will support 4 layer BD player).
Samsung eUFS, but not quite as fast as NVMe: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/estorage/eufs/
Issue with such a solution is that it could be a repair nightmare.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

The French pb says the APU will be manufactured on the 12nm node... lol

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I gather the expectation is that Sony and/or MS will be using a middle of the road solution (middle of NVMe and SATA III SSD performance wise) like this directly soldered on to the motherboard that is both orders of magnitude faster than the existing 5400RPM HDD and more affordable per unit compared to NVMe?
Yes (and more power efficient too), but as I stated in my edited response such a solution could end up in a repair nightmare if the eUFs is faulty after usage.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes, but as I stated in my edited response such a solution could end up in a repair nightmare if the eUFs is faulty after usage.

Yes, this is my concern too. Essentially, this will mean changing the entire unit (or replacing the motherboard) if or when it fails.

And as an aside:

If previous generations were anything to go by, there would be some way to add secondary storage (SATA III). And then it becomes the same old 2 stage storage set up anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't speak French, but even if you run it through google translate it still seems like BS. It has some parts in common with the pastern leak we are familiar with yeah, but:

RAM is 21GB (why 21?)
APU is made on 12nm
it explicitly says no SSD because it cost too much, so 2TB HDD
The hypothetical PS+ Premium wouldn't be at launch, it wouldn't come until like 2023-24

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
By the way, so I take it that the idea of a two stage storage set up is not favourable as opposed to a single one.

That's not... necessarily true. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.

Tiered storage allows the end user to upgrade their main storage, allows for simple external storage, gives devs consistent and reliable pinpoint accurate stats on drive performance, it has potential to be cheaper for large amounts of storage. It will require smarter software to manage data being moved around, it will be more complex, but if done right, it can be invisible to the user and have virtually the same kind of performance.

Single storage is simpler and more straight forward, but it's likely more expensive and will place limitations on user upgradeability (if you make it upgradeable, devs will have to use more relaxed perf stats) and external expansion (you either have to copy stuff to the internal SSD or implement a caching system that likely won't be as robust because it will be optional).

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes, this is my concern too. Essentially, this will mean changing the entire unit (or replacing the motherboard) if or when it fails.

And as an aside:

If previous generations were anything to go by, there would be some way to add secondary storage (SATA III). And then it becomes the same old 2 stage storage set up anyway.
I also think external storage will still play an important role. If they (Sony and MS) are interested into a similar performance for external drives they could spend the consoles a 10Gbps USB connectivity (USB 3.2 Gen 2 is the current name iirc).

Miniature Kaiju
You could do it the way I described above with externals too.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

And as an aside:

I'm guessing there will be a large internal, non-replaceable SSD with the option of adding an external. Stuff has to be swapped to the SSD before playing.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I reiterate on my expectation that some people might be massively disappointed in next-gen specs. I don't think we are looking at underperforming devices - SDD and CPU alone will grant a huge upgrade -, but man, some of the expectations I'm reading are just ... They are just not possible for a consumer device in the range of $300 - $500. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro may have spoiled people a bit here. We'll see I guess. Looking forward to some confirmed hard numbers myself.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I also think external storage will still play an important role. If they (Sony and MS) are interested into a similar performance for external drives they could spend the consoles a 10Gbps USB connectivity (USB 3.2 Gen 2 is the current name iirc).

Miniature Kaiju
You could do it the way I described above with externals too.

Even if the interface is fast enough, you're still limited by drive speeds. I don't know how useful "external storage" is if it comes with an asterisk that says you can only use these "Class XYZ" drives that feature this interface, at least this perf and cost you an arm and a leg.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My expectation about SSDs and USB ports in a next gen console:
1TB of SSD storage with 1000MB/s speed
1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 port (10Gbps) (supports the same 1000MB/s speed on external drives)
3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports with USB-C connector
1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with legacy connector

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I reiterate on my expectation that some people might be massively disappointed in next-gen specs. I don't think we are looking at underperforming devices - SDD and CPU alone will grant a huge upgrade -, but man, some of the expectations I'm reading are just ... They are just not possible for a consumer device in the range of $300 - $500. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro may have spoiled people a bit here. We'll see I guess. Looking forward to some confirmed hard numbers myself.

thank you for restarting the TF cycle anew

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do the numbers tell you that I am way over the top too with my prediction? Link

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I maintain belief that at least one of PS5 or Anaconda will be above 10TF, but I'd be hesitant to hope anything beyond that.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My expectation about SSDs and USB ports in a next gen console:
1TB of SSD storage with 1000MB/s speed
1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 port (10Gbps) (supports the same 1000MB/s speed on external drives)
3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports with USB-C connector
1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with legacy connector

Didn't Cerny say outright that the PS5 SSD is faster than any current PC SSD setup? Wouldn't that put it at a minimum of 3-4GB/s?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Even if the interface is fast enough, you're still limited by drive speeds. I don't know how useful "external storage" is if it comes with an asterisk that says you can only use these "Class XYZ" drives that feature this interface, at least this perf and cost you an arm and a leg.
I think about it as an feasible way to reduce cost/price on the console itself and let the consumer decide if he wants to invest the extra money for extra and fast storage.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
The idea of a next gen console not being at least double the 'power' of one in the current gen is ... well, disappointing.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hmm maybe that leak with 11.4 TF anaconda could be true ?
We are at a stage we need some sort of identifiers for all the rumors (don't call them "leaks"). As I have no overview what is all out there maybe someone should gather all leaks and number them uniquely. That post should be thread marked too if anyone is investing his time to do this. Appreciation is guaranteed!

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
1000MB/s is faster than any SATA3 SSD can be just because of the bus speed. He did not explicitly say NVMe, right?
"At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That's not all. "The raw read speed is important," Cerny says, "but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them."

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I maintain belief that at least one of PS5 or Anaconda will be above 10TF, but I'd be hesitant to hope anything beyond that.
That's fair I think.

Do the numbers tell you that I am way over the top too with my prediction? Link
Again, I won't act like as if I could for sure tell the numbers. I simply can't. I'll leave that up to other people more in the know. I think the specs should be around that ballpark though, even if I expect Lockhart to have lower TF and Anaconda higher compared to your prediction (which is great by the way). But this is just ... You know, my opinion.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We are at a stage we need some sort of identifiers for all the rumors (don't call them "leaks"). As I have no overview what is all out there maybe someone should gather all leaks and number them uniquely. That post should be thread marked too if anyone is investing his time to do this. Appreciation is guaranteed!
That would be great for some one to do. That supposed leak had anaconda at 11.4 and Lockhart at 5.7 TF

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's fair I think.

Again, I won't act like as if I could for sure tell the numbers. I simply can't. I'll leave that up to other people more in the know. I think the specs should be around that ballpark though, even if I expect Lockhart to have lower TF and Anaconda higher compared to your prediction (which is great by the way). But this is just ... You know, my opinion.
So pretty much in line with that Reddit rumour from January.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think the specs should be around that ballpark though, even if I expect Lockhart to have lower TF and Anaconda higher compared to your prediction (which is great by the way). But this is just ... You know, my opinion.
Okay, good to know not be too much off based on information you have. You know, it is a baseline with a variance of +/- 10%.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
"At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That's not all. "The raw read speed is important," Cerny says, "but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them."

Thanks, was just about to do the same. This seems pretty impossible to explain away, frankly. "Any SSD available for PCs"? If it's not at least 3GB/s, then that's a lie.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks for providing the quote. I still think there is very much room to interpret what was actually said. A lot of stuff in that quote was added by the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.