• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
What is the highest clock speed a console has ever run? Because unless people think the form factor of a console will change dramatically, I think there is a bit of wishful thinking on these clock speeds when you take into consideration a thin, small console form factor.

It's not always a question of what the chip is capable of - sometimes it's a question of what can be run at nearly 100% for 5 years with very low defect rates.

Not saying it's impossible - but seems very unlikely.
Yeah, the 1172MHz of the X's GPU still blows my mind. I'm not sure why people are expecting 1800MHz when Radeon VII can hardly hit that target.

I think that we need to temper our expectations to something closer to 1400-1500 MHz.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
What is the highest clock speed a console has ever run? Because unless people think the form factor of a console will change dramatically, I think there is a bit of wishful thinking on these clock speeds when you take into consideration a thin, small console form factor.

It's not always a question of what the chip is capable of - sometimes it's a question of what can be run at nearly 100% for 5 years with very low defect rates.

Oh boy, expectations lowered. :)

1X's gpu speed is fastest so far I believe: @ 1172 Mhz

Nov 14, 2017
I think once raytracing comes to consoles we will start seeing very creative ways of implementing it. Like running it at quarter rez and upscaling the results onto a 4k frame....
That was my initial suspicion when I read the Wired article where Cerny said they had RT in PS5. Does anyone know if anyone has tried to get RT running at 1080/30 and upscale / interpolate it up to 4k60? I suspect that might end up being good enough.

Nov 11, 2017

I think people are severely underestimating how expensive cooling is and the consideration for form factors

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I think people are severely underestimating how expensive cooling is and the consideration for form factors

Yeah I'm curious to understand what people think the cooling requirements would be from a chip of the same size (roughly 360mm2) running at 2x the frequency. I get there are some efficiencies in 7nm but I don't think cooling at that frequency scales at the same rate.

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like this:

I feel like if the consoles launch at less than 10tf and are burdened with the perception of low TF, then thats a problem of MS/Sony's own making by chasing a mid-gen consoles that very few people were actually asking for. Whatever pain comes out of that PR wise is just gonna have to be a thing they deal with / market their way out of.

They opened the box, they'll have to deal with what comes out of it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I don't think anyone ever expected or predicted 1800MHz for a console GPU - the only reason it's being discussed is because of the Gonzalo chip that we know is real.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Probably best to believe there is one planned for both consoles regardless of the initial price points
In my opinion initial prices will be indicative of possibly mid gen plans. For example a mid gen refresh makes more sense for a $399 console rather for a $499 console. I mean that $499 every three years is too high for most console gamers. Is a budget that even many PC gamers don't have.

From the hardware side I think that a mid gen refresh will be very likely if next gen consoles don't have hardware ray tracing support.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't think anyone ever expected or predicted 1800MHz for a console GPU - the only reason it's being discussed is because of the Gonzalo chip that we know is real.

Indeed.I really have no idea what to make of that 1.8GHz clock in Gonzalo.Maybe max possible frequency or something?It just doesn't make much sense...

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm curious to understand what people think the cooling requirements would be from a chip of the same size (roughly 360mm2) running at 2x the frequency. I get there are some efficiencies in 7nm but I don't think cooling at that frequency scales at the same rate.

Why buy a heater for the winter when you can warm your house while playing games?

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
We can't safely estimate yet the clocks or the power and cooling needs of next gen consoles as we don't know officially the max clocks and the efficiency of Navi GPUs and Zen 2 CPUs.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Gonzalo isn't confirmed to be a console gpu is it?

Gonzalo has the same PCI ID as Ariel so if you believe Ariel is PS5 then you believe Gonzalo is PS5.

I think Anaconda will be 12 Tflops, I think PS5 will be 1.8 Ghz because of AMD Gonzalo leak Qualification sample but it can be the case with a low number of CU. Like Richard Leabetter did it can be a very low level of CU 36 like PS4 Pro, 40 like Xbox One x. 44 or 48... It doesn't means PS5 can't be 8 or 9 Tflops.

I only believe plausible leak... I believe PS5 will have two type of memory with HBCC for example.

There's realistic and then there's pessimistic. I don't see why PS5 would be using a CU count as low as 36. Minimum would be 48 with a max of 56 I think.

Sony and Microsoft collabotaring for cloud gaming streaming

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So with Sony and MS partnering on Cloud Gaming, can we assume that this is their answer to Google stadia?

Also, every PS5 game will need to run on the same xCloud solution which means both Sony and MS are using the same Navi GPUs and Zen 2 processors with the same memory solution. Arcturus, Zen 3 and PS5 HMB2 dreams are shattered i think.

Pretty sure, this will be the last time they will compete on the hardware front. I think they will both collaborate and release one console next gen. The money has always been in the services, not the hardware or even royalties. They will probably work out a deal to split the revenue from cloud games vs in store or digital games. MS keeps all the money from cloud and sony keeps all the money from digital and in store while making 100% revenue from their own first party games.

Lastly, the A.I solutions is basically them going for the Google and Amazon A.I market. I expect all kinds of insane A.I products like Alexa, Sony and MS making software for self driving cars, and A.I robots because why not.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So with Sony and MS partnering on Cloud Gaming, can we assume that this is their answer to Google stadia?

Also, every PS5 game will need to run on the same xCloud solution which means both Sony and MS are using the same Navi GPUs and Zen 2 processors with the same memory solution. Arcturus, Zen 3 and PS5 HMB2 dreams are shattered i think.

Pretty sure, this will be the last time they will compete on the hardware front. I think they will both collaborate and release one console next gen. The money has always been in the services, not the hardware or even royalties. They will probably work out a deal to split the revenue from cloud games vs in store or digital games. MS keeps all the money from cloud and sony keeps all the money from digital and in store while making 100% revenue from their own first party games.

Lastly, the A.I solutions is basically them going for the Google and Amazon A.I market. I expect all kinds of insane A.I products like Alexa, Sony and MS making software for self driving cars, and A.I robots because why not.

Whoa there, I don't think we have any confirmation yet that Sony will be using xCloud. This seems to be about Sony utilizing Azure, which means they could use their own PS Now hardware on Azure, separate from xCloud

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone see the MS/Sony partnership talk in this thread?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...artnership-regarding-cloud-based-tech.117337/

lol, literally the last thing I thought would happen on the cloud front. Very curious to see where this leads, and I imagine we'll get more info on the 21st when Sony addresses their investors.

It just sounds like Sony is using Azure not that ms and sony are collaborating on building a service or product.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Gonzalo has the same PCI ID as Ariel so if you believe Ariel is PS5 then you believe Gonzalo is PS5.

As far as I can see, the link between Ariel = PS5 is tenuous.

We only have one source and it's the same Japanese tweeter who tweeted the Gonzalo chip codename.

There was no context to given to suggest whether his Ariel-PS5 link was real info he knew or just his own speculation.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Kobrille is expecting Anaconda total TF to be higher than Colbert's 11.5 prediction (his opinion), so with a max of 60CU that would be a minimum of 1550 clock, being 1500 exactly what Colbert prediction is.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
but they are b/c ms cotrols the hardware, so ms will be the one setting the standerd for streaming. also feels like stadia maybe has them a bit scared.

No this has nothing to do with them being scared.
Did people really think Sony was going to set up there own cloud base hardware .
They were going to rent it like most companies , most thought they would go with amazon but they went with MS instead .

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Kobrille is expecting Anaconda total TF to be higher than Colbert's 11.5 prediction (his opinion), so with a max of 60CU that would be a minimum of 1550 clock, being 1500 exactly what Colbert prediction is.
He was talking about my old prediction which was about 10TFish. The one you see is an updated version now. I also just saw I used the wrong screenshot. Just updated to the correct one.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
I think it will be solderd to the ps5. Just like on apple laptops. Those ssds are superfast.

They'll definitely have to come with a solution

New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • 2TB storage (SSD + custom).
  • BC with all previous Playstations.
  • Minor changes to DS5, also has IR camera.
  • Launches worldwide September 2020.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• No plans for any upcoming PS4 first party titles to be cross gen at release.
  • All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • LP is also making a FF15 PS5 Edition for launch.
  • DQXI with added content will be on PS5.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

Those are the only things confirmed for now as planning is underway.

Does Sony know this?...

...I think we wouldn't be exactly mad at it, though, soooo
Everyone see the MS/Sony partnership talk in this thread?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...artnership-regarding-cloud-based-tech.117337/

lol, literally the last thing I thought would happen on the cloud front. Very curious to see where this leads, and I imagine we'll get more info on the 21st when Sony addresses their investors.

Amc1nuq.png

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

We only have one source and it's the same Japanese tweeter who tweeted the Gonzalo chip codename.

There was no context to given to suggest whether his Ariel-PS5 link was real info he knew or just his own speculation.

Sure, everything depends on knowing what Ariel is but the PCI ID between Ariel and Gonzalo being a match along with knowing that Gonzalo is in fact a gaming APU is easily the best info we have especially given what passes for a leak around these parts. ;)

Personally, I do think Gonzalo is PS5 which is why my expectation for the GPU is 11.1 TF on the low end (48 CU) and 12.9 on the high end (56 CU).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

the connection is simple. Ariel is navi 10 lite, which is a unique chip, and there is no reason to think its a pc GPU. gonzalo, which is a gaming APU, uses the navi 10 lite aka ariel.

this is confusion i saw around here, ariel is the GPU, gonzalo is the full APU.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • 2TB storage (SSD + custom).
  • BC with all previous Playstations.
  • Minor changes to DS5, also has IR camera.
  • Launches worldwide September 2020.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• No plans for any upcoming PS4 first party titles to be cross gen at release.
  • All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • LP is also making a FF15 PS5 Edition for launch.
  • DQXI with added content will be on PS5.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

Those are the only things confirmed for now as planning is underway.

Would pay even 499 for this.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Gonzalo isn't confirmed to be a console gpu is it?

People have inspected the ID and compared it to the same ID format used by AMD on previous chips. One of the parts of the ID is 'G' right in the spot where G has always stood for 'gaming' on prior console chips, as opposed to D for desktop or something. It also has 18 right in the spot always used for GPU clock speed. It also has a base CPU clock that just so happens to match the PS4's (perfect for BC) as well as a 'boost clock' if double that which is exactly what's expected for the PS5. If it's not the PS5 chip, that's a lot of coincidences.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
At the beginning it seemed like a good idea to just update the thread marked comment but in hindsight you can't see the history anymore. Sorry for that one.

Lol no worries mate, no harm done

So he expected more than 10ish, le's say ~11, so 56 at 1550 or 60 at 1450.

So 56/60CU at 1500Mhz, +-10%

seems better prediction than 1600.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From that other thread.

1. xCloud is a "white-label" service.
  2. Not only Sony, many JP devs/pubs, and ofc including western ones, consider using xCloud or rebrand it as own service.
  3. Some of those business talks even begun before 2018.
  4. To meet the requirements, we'll see the size of xCloud deployment in JP would be even close to the whole EU (maybe larger).
  5. xCloud is "mainly" based on Xbox hardwares, but those GPU instances in Azure datacenters won't stand by and do nothing, and Azure is open to partners. So xCloud is not only "XboxCloud".

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I still think that 1800MHz is crazy high for a GCN GPU. Radeon VII is having a hard time hitting 1800MHz and it's a 700$ high end part on 7nm. If Gonzalo really is 1800MHz, the CU count is probably pretty low, somewhere in the 40s'.
I don't think they will be clocked as high as 1800Mhz..... but I can see 1600Mhz happening. So I can see anywhere between 42-56CU at 1600Mhz. And in the grand scheme things, a 52-56CU GPU is only like a 30%-40% bump in CU count going from 16nm(1X) to 7nm. Going from 28nm to 7nm they managed a 100% increase in CU count with the PS4 and a 350% increase in CU count going from the XB1 to the 1X.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
People have inspected the ID and compared it to the same ID format used by AMD on previous chips. One of the parts of the ID is 'G' right in the spot where G has always stood for 'gaming' on prior console chips, as opposed to D for desktop or something. It also has 18 right in the spot always used for GPU clock speed. It also has a base CPU clock that just so happens to match the PS4's (perfect for BC) as well as a 'boost clock' if double that which is exactly what's expected for the PS5. If it's not the PS5 chip, that's a lot of coincidences.
I think those are not a base clock. Consoles APU don't have base and boost clocks. In the case of Pro ID the numbers at the same location meant something else. Those must mean somehing else in the case of Gonzalo too. IMHO.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So if Azure is going to (possibly) be powering PSNow, I wonder what Sony and MS are doing in regards to working together next gen consoles. A large gap between what's in Azure and available locally on a PS5 would create an issue and I can't imagine Sony would be OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.