• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the truth out there somewhere or is it all just the predictable mound of BS prior to a new gen? Do any insiders on this site have any real info?
I think some do.

And those who do probably dont want to be the source of info, but instead just confirm the ones that are true.

I wont be surprised if some journalists have a gist on the specs of both consoles, but can't really risk posting about it because of the lack of credible sources that are willing to confirm it fully.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Is the truth out there somewhere or is it all just the predictable mound of BS prior to a new gen? Do any insiders on this site have any real info?

giphy.gif

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The fact that next-gen xbox and PS devkits are out in wild and we still don't have any reliable leaks probably points to a restriction in information provided even to the devs themselves.

Maybe the devs have kits with non-final hw and aren't even disclosed on the full and final specs yet - I can certainly see that.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Considering MS will have started designing Scarlett at the same time or after Sony started PS5 work, I struggle to see why they would have gone for Vega and not Navi, unless it has something to do with having two SKUs? I don't believe it.
Only thing I can think of is that MS needed something that could be vertically integrated across all SKUs and the only thing ready to drive their game streaming stuff is vega. So they may have just wanted to keep their design architecture similar across all SKUs.

The only way I see them not using Navi making sense.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I can think of is that MS needed something that could be vertically integrated across all SKUs and the only thing ready to drive their game streaming stuff is vega. So they may have just wanted to keep their design architecture similar across all SKUs.

Possibly, yeah. I thought of that too. They could also be very confident that they could do modifications to Vega that can rival what will be available for Navi.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
am i the only one that thinks its funny sony made the next gen playstation article more than a month ago because leaks were coming soon, and yet... nothing happened?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect anything substantial from E3 other than marketing spiel which I'm sure this thread will run with for the next 6+ months.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018

Unless we have a surprise announce that Xbox is releasing in 2019 then there is no reason to believe that MS would utilize Vega and not Navi. I guess MS could have really stepped in it too but I don't think that's the case with this.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The fact that next-gen xbox and PS devkits are out in wild and we still don't have any reliable leaks probably points to a restriction in information provided even to the devs themselves.

Maybe the devs have kits with non-final hw and aren't even disclosed on the full and final specs yet - I can certainly see that.
This is what I believe, and hence why I am not believing a single leak so far.

I believe the kits the devs have now are just PCs in a custom case and OS with Ryzen CPUs and Vega 64 GPUs. As such, there is nothing there to really leak.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

They're probably just being very strict in who has access to them initially. You should only need a few technical leads to evaluate it. It's not like you're trying to ship code on it any time soon.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
speaking of spec leaks, iirc, xbox scorpio leaked on may 25th 2016 with the 6TF perfromance. so if MS are going to reveal the GPU power of anaconda in this E3 then it might leak very soon.
also ps4 leaked on VGLeaks on june 8th (although that leak wasnt very accurate and only got the GPU right).

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Juicy.

Sony's Deal With Microsoft Blindsided Its Own PlayStation Team

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...microsoft-blindsided-its-own-playstation-team

Negotiations with Microsoft began last year and were handled directly by Sony's senior management in Tokyo, largely without the involvement of the PlayStation unit, according to people familiar with the matter. Staff at the gaming division were caught off-guard by the news. Managers had to calm workers and assure them that plans for the company's next-generation console weren't affected, said the people, asking not to be identified discussing private matters.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
speaking of spec leaks, iirc, xbox scorpio leaked on may 25th 2016 with the 6TF perfromance. so if MS are going to reveal the GPU power of anaconda in this E3 then it might leak very soon.
also ps4 leaked on VGLeaks on june 8th (although that leak wasnt very accurate and only got the GPU right).
At where we are at, all a megaton leak would need to entail is just (xx)TF.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Colbert Do you still have that handy chart of CU counts, clockspeeds, and total TF count? I thought I saved it but I can't find it and it was very useful

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
All of you crazy people searching for "leaks" have made me go crazy too. I found this earlier and made a joke in response because it is probably garbage like most of the stuff, but I did find it a little more interesting because it didn't violate my personal cardinal rules of people mentioning things like price points and launch lineups.

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/462743758

I find any leaker to be full of shit when he/she starts off his/her ANONYMOUS post by revealing where he/she actually works. lol

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There is a huge thread on it on this website .seems Abit weird .I m sure yoshida or Jim Ryan or the likes knew but people under them didn't .
It gives context to Kodera splitting off to change his focus while Ryan took over. It's also interesting that the development of the PS5 is seemingly completely independent of the development of their cloud strategy.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This is what I believe, and hence why I am not believing a single leak so far.

I believe the kits the devs have now are just PCs in a custom case and OS with Ryzen CPUs and Vega 64 GPUs. As such, there is nothing there to really leak.
They're probably just being very strict in who has access to them initially. You should only need a few technical leads to evaluate it. It's not like you're trying to ship code on it any time soon.

Yeah, you're both probably right to a certain extent.

I find any leaker to be full of shit when he/she starts off his/her ANONYMOUS post by revealing where he/she actually works. lol

Looool!!!

So true.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It gives context to Kodera splitting off to change his focus while Ryan took over. It's also interesting that the development of the PS5 is seemingly completely independent of the development of their cloud strategy.

That article reads like nonsense tbh. Sony corp doesn't just make random decisions for their PlayStation division. That's really not how it works, so I don't know what Bloomberg are even talking about. Sure, not every employee was aware but that happens all the time with almost every top level decision or business deal made in every company ever.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That article reads like nonsense tbh. Sony corp doesn't just make random decisions for their PlayStation division. That's really not how it works, so I don't know what Bloomberg are even talking about. Sure, not every employee was aware but that happens all the time with almost every top level decision or business deal made in every company ever.
My point was that the cloud strategy didn't seem to be a core pillar of their strategy. Even if there was an increased focus on remote play capability, you'd think that would be well known among most of the team.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why they would go back to

If the PS4 used an 7870 and the PS4 Pro was around a 470 in performance it seems like the 3070 would be a safe bet. Using the 1800mhz Gonzalo leak and the lookup table it would put the PS5 at 9.2TF.

9.2TF $399 PS5 seems like a realistic expectation.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
From your understanding would that be the GPU that replaces the RX580?

Where is that AdoredTV table when you need it ...

Edit:
AdoredTV table copied by wccftech
his0gwZ.png

Edit 2:
In general: I think AMD will not use that suggested name scheme. Why should they want a card named RX 3080 XT compete with a RTX 2070 (TI)? This would only suggest that AMD cards are weaker than their NVIDIA counterparts just by the naming scheme ...
Radeon VII for $430 and 180 TDP using the same process. Not bad at all IMO.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If the PS4 used an 7870 and the PS4 Pro was around a 470 in performance it seems like the 3070 would be a safe bet. Using the 1800mhz Gonzalo leak and the lookup table it would put the PS5 at 9.2TF.

I would think that would be the case if Xbox One X didnt come out.

Besides, it's actually quite normal for a company that's leading in terms of sales compared to their competitors to develop an industry leading piece of hardware with a higher pricepoint. Xbox 360 to Xbox One, PS2 to PS3, DS to 3DS, etc.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would think that would be the case if Xbox One X didnt come out.

Besides, it's actually quite normal for a company that's leading in terms of sales compared to their competitors to develop an industry leading piece of hardware with a higher pricepoint. Xbox 360 to Xbox One, PS2 to PS3, DS to 3DS, etc.
And you really think Sony want to imitate PS3? That is exactly where your whole argument fell apart.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you really think Sony want to imitate PS3? That is exactly where your whole argument fell apart.
Wait what? How did you come to that conclusion?

It's not like they are making a high spec console with the arrogance they had with Kutaragi at the helm. From what we know Sony is still aiming to make a console that can be easily develop for, that they won't chase power to the point that they develop their own architecture like before.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

9.2 tflops if it was a $399 console.

but we are pretty much certain it wont be. which means it will have some kind of fancy cooling like the vapor chamber cooling in the X1X which allowed MS to fit in a 580 GPU which had a TDP of 185W in a $499 console.

Soemthing between 52-60 CU at 1800 mhz gives us 11.9-13.8 tflops. I think a 56CU PS5 is most likely giving 2070 level performance. It would be equivalent to the PS4 being equivalent to a GTX 570 which was a 1.5tflops Nvidia GPU that came out over 2 years before the PS3 came out. 2070 will be over 2 years by the time the PS5 comes out.

The bluray alone added $250 to every PS3. The emotion engine also added $60 just to provide hardware BC. Cut those two things out and you have a console with a $540 BOM instead of a an $850 BOM. Kutaragi also went crazy with like 6 different forms of storage slots. That also added to the BOM. Sony will not have anything like that in the PS5.

$499 in 2019 != $599 in 2006. Actually $599 = $761 today.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018

Yes but considering the 1x used a 185watt GPU an rx 3080xt should be possible.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
9.2 tflops if it was a $399 console.

but we are pretty much certain it wont be. which means it will have some kind of fancy cooling like the vapor chamber cooling in the X1X which allowed MS to fit in a 580 GPU which had a TDP of 185W in a $499 console.

Soemthing between 52-60 CU at 1800 mhz gives us 11.9-13.8 tflops. I think a 56CU PS5 is most likely giving 2070 level performance. It would be equivalent to the PS4 being equivalent to a GTX 570 which was a 1.5tflops Nvidia GPU that came out over 2 years before the PS3 came out. 2070 will be over 2 years by the time the PS5 comes out.

The bluray alone added $250 to every PS3. The emotion engine also added $60 just to provide hardware BC. Cut those two things out and you have a console with a $540 BOM instead of a an $850 BOM. Kutaragi also went crazy with like 6 different forms of storage slots. That also added to the BOM. Sony will not have anything like that in the PS5.

How can we be "pretty much certain" ps5 won't be 399$? Last time I checked both ps4 and pro launched at 399$. And I haven't seen a single credible rumor about ps5 price. The best we have for hardware performance that makes 399$ questionable was Jason's comment saying Xbox and ps5 where both AIMING to be more powerful than done stadia.

That alone shouldn't make anyone confident in the ps5 price. It could range from 399-499, but sony's History should give the best clue.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

$125 at launch, EE was ~$30. Also keep in mind PS3 manufacturing costs were down >70% within ~3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.