• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

PS5 will be the console with fastest memory, ssd and Ram isn't it

giphy.gif

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it's going to be a wierd memory setup.
I still wouldn't discount the HBM rumor. They coulkd be using GDDR6 as a placeholder. We should know in a few months anyway. This thread has been sinking really low with reddit/pastebin dumps out of all places.
Yeah but this does seem something that makes sense too. Memory bandwidth would be enough (judging from the conversation I had with Locuza here)

The question mark for me would be if it's enough to have 2GB DDR4 for the OS?

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
1 week for Computex

3 weeks for AMD at E3 and one day earlier for Xbox

But it's better if we don't think about the "are we there yet" part :)

This seems SPICY.

Hopefully, OP replies... hopefully.

https://www.reddit.com/user/xelfesa/

The profile picture from this user

6S51Pa6.png

Edit:

The profile also states "May 21st 2019" as cake day but it's May 20th so the user is probably from a timezone where the 21st started a bit over an hour ago... or that's how I believe this stuff works. I'm pointing it out because what if this is someone who works where development kits are being made/manufactured thus the OQA?

Last edited:

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
PS5 devkit PCB specs from OQA
  • monolithic die ~22.4mm by ~14.1mm
  • 16 Samsung K4ZAF325BM-HC18 in clamshell configuration -
  • memory vrm seems like overkill with multiple Fairchild/ON Semiconductor FDMF3170 power stages controlled by an MP2888 from MPS
  • 3 Samsung K4AAG085WB-MCRC, 2 of those close to the NAND acting as DRAM cache (unusual 2GB DRAM per 1 TB NAND)
  • 4 NAND packages soldered to the PCB which are TH58LJT2T24BAEG from Toshiba
  • PS5016-E16 from Phison
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/bqy778/ps5_devkit_pcb_specs_from_oqa/

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Gonna need a flop count on this.
It's 16GB of 18Gb/s GDDR6 in a 256-bit setup which means 576GB/s and three DDR4 @2400MHz which means 6GB, 4GB dedicated to the SSD as a DRAM cache and the other 2GB probably for the OS.

Edit:
Oh, I'm actually not sure what he meant by "16 Samsung"; Is that 16GB? 16 chips? I took it as 16GB which sounds more likely. Maybe it's a fake trying to ride on the fact that PS4 originally had 16 chips? Maybe it's just double the memory because it's a development kit, who knows.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
It will be rather sweet seeing the general operation of the console run incredibly smoothly and promptly. The OS should be like butter and getting into a game will be like the good old days of carts. Woo.

One thing that gamers may not realise is the psychology of how people divide there time with there entertainment.

PlayStation + xbox are competing with Netflix, youtube, amazon video etc which are practically instant entertainment.
I do not game because the wait period is a barrier, a significant percentage of the time.
Sony + ms will know this, the faster and more smooth it is to get into the game, the more people will play.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Wait hold on.. if I'm reading this right, it says 16 chips in clamshell configuration... NOT 16GB.

Could be 24GB-32GB with this configuration.
Since it's the dev kit I'm guessing 32GB.

K4ZAF325BM denotes 16gb density. The hc18 at the end would suggest 18Gbps which sounds a bit suspicious. Samsung doesn't even have an entry for that yet.

Also clamshell, means 8 chips top of PCB and chips bottom of PCB, right? Going along with the cooling solution patent we saw some time ago.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
One thing that gamers may not realise is the psychology of how people divide there time with there entertainment.

PlayStation + xbox are competing with Netflix, youtube, amazon video etc which are practically instant entertainment.
I do not game because the wait period is a barrier, a significant percentage of the time.
Sony + ms will know this, the faster and more smooth it is to get into the game, the more people will play.
Dont forget about Stadia and instant one click game start they are promising

Oct 25, 2017
16x2 for Devkit? Or 16x1?
Looks legit.

2GB DDR4 + 2GB GDDR6 for OS
14GB GDDR6 for GPU + CPU
4GB DDR4 for NAND Cache
18GBs~1GBx16 @ 576GBs
Seems slow, but exotic memory config.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Wait hold on.. if I'm reading this right, it says 16 chips in clamshell configuration... NOT 16GB.

Could be 24GB-32GB with this configuration.
Since it's the dev kit I'm guessing 32GB.
It could not be 24GB.
Those chips are 16Gb. If those claims would be true, it's 32GB total.

But people now "leaking" the internals is even more unbelievable.
As if a developer would look inside a devkit.
So unless you come from production or development inside Sony, or the manufacturer, you wouldn't know these details.

Monolithic 316mm² chip would also kill the 12TF+ dream.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can we be "pretty much certain" ps5 won't be 399$? Last time I checked both ps4 and pro launched at 399$. And I haven't seen a single credible rumor about ps5 price. The best we have for hardware performance that makes 399$ questionable was Jason's comment saying Xbox and ps5 where both AIMING to be more powerful than done stadia.

That alone shouldn't make anyone confident in the ps5 price. It could range from 399-499, but sony's History should give the best clue.
Because Cerny when asked about the pricepoint said that the price will be appealing in light of the PS5's advanced feature. He didnt say affordable.

You are also not getting a 10+ tflops GPU in a $399 console with ray tracing, SSDs, 4k UHD drive, 20-24GB of GDDR6 RAM, and custom features like 3D audio chips and a psvr chip built into the mobo. Maybe an 8 tflops GPU but why release a weak GPU with all those fancy features.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
But people now "leaking" the internals is even more unbelievable.
As if a developer would look inside a devkit.
So unless you come from production or development inside Sony, or the manufacturer, you wouldn't know these details.

Monolithic 316mm² chip would also kill the 12TF+ dream.

Outgoing Quality Assurance. OQA is the last process before products ship to customers, and hence is very important in ensuring our shipment is defect-free.
Seems like close to internal Sony. Or atleast internal hardware team.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Seems like close to internal Sony. Or atleast internal hardware team.

Posting this again:

The profile also states "May 21st 2019" as cake day but it's May 20th so the user is probably from a timezone where the 21st started a bit over an hour ago... or that's how I believe this stuff works. I'm pointing it out because what if this is someone who works where development kits are being made/manufactured?

Feb 26, 2018
Posting this again:

The profile also states "May 21st 2019" as cake day but it's May 20th so the user is probably from a timezone where the 21st started a bit over an hour ago... or that's how I believe this stuff works. I'm pointing it out because what if this is someone who works where development kits are being made/manufactured?
Judging by this leaker is from Asian region. Some manufacturing site in China? Or an engineer in Japan?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
K4ZAF325BM denotes 16gb density. The hc18 at the end would suggest 18Gbps which sounds a bit suspicious. Samsung doesn't even have an entry for that yet.

I wonder if this is the posters mistake or shows it to be true? Such a fine balance! Take a pic of this PCB, Xelfesa....Would answer every and all questions.

Re: the RAM chips the HC18 is very interesting as I once mentioned the oddity of this article/press release and the Samsung library picture of the chip not matching: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12338/samsung-starts-mass-production-of-gddr6-memory

The article clearly talks specifically about 18Gbps chips going into mass production yet the picture is of HC16. This was back in January 2018.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What do you make of these reddit specs Anex?
I find it interesting they gave specific part numbers for the RAM, NAND, and PCIE Gen4 controller, but NOT the console APU.

They're either scared about it being tied back to them, it's not marked, or they didn't know how to fake it.

Fast! Give us the CU ballpark estimate for a 316mm^2 die with 256-bit memory controller! :)

I'd guess 48 to 52 CUs.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
16x2 for Devkit? Or 16x1?
Looks legit.

2GB DDR4 + 2GB GDDR6 for OS
14GB GDDR6 for GPU + CPU
4GB DDR4 for NAND Cache
18GBs~1GBx16 @ 576GBs
Seems slow, but exotic memory config.

K4ZAF325BM-HC18 are 16Gb chips with 18Gbps
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/gddr6/ (not listed yet, because they're new and not ready for mass production yet)
total bandwidth is 576GB/s

I find it interesting they gave specific part numbers for the RAM, NAND, and PCIE Gen4 controller, but NOT the console APU.

They're either scared about it being tied back to them, it's not marked, or they didn't know how to fake it.
Good take on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.