• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Told you next GOW will be on PS4, BC with PS5 with improved features. Mark my words.
No way they gonna gamble and release the sequel to the critically acclaimed game exclusively on a recently released console with just few units sold

How are you drawing that conclusion? The AAA games still to come are clearly referring to the trio pictured.

Feb 10, 2018
Told you next GOW will be on PS4, BC with PS5 with improved features. Mark my words.
No way they gonna gamble and release the sequel to the critically acclaimed game exclusively on a recently released console with just few units sold

The next god of war will be arriving 2021/22, it will be PS5 exclusive, no point in holding devs back with PS4 especially when Sony will have scarlett exclusives to compete with.

Every gen ms/Sony talk about how last gen very important and "key", but it's mostly just talk.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If the next God of War releases on PS4 (as in it runs on the PS4 console itself) I will take a 1 day ban for every Metacritic point it gets. 90 Metacritic = I get banned for 90 days. That shit ain't happening, no way.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhh, that's technically not completely implausible. There are games that run at native 1800p/2160p on the Pro - PS5 could almost certainly bump them to at least reconstructed 4320p.

Iirc Titanfall runs at around 6K on XB OX according to DF. There may be some games that can run at 8K. Not all of course but some indies and sport games. 8K is getting advertised these days and you find it in most supermarkets. By 2020 and Tokyo olympics, it will get more widespread and little more affordable so Sony would really want to take advantage of it and market it through its PS5.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

This the reason it will be hard to beat Sony franchise. Official Uncharted 4 is the most sold games of all time for an exclusive Sony game. It is bigger than Halo at it peak...

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The next god of war will be arriving 2021/22, it will be PS5 exclusive, no point in holding devs back with PS4 especially when Sony will have scarlett exclusives to compete with.

Every gen ms/Sony talk about how last gen very important and "key", but it's mostly just talk.

Well with streaming things can chnage.
Maybe come next gen they could put there games on PSN Now so even PS4 users can play .
That way if they buy a PS5 later on everything will carry over .

This the reason it will be hard to beat Sony franchise. Official Uncharted 4 is the most sold games of all time for an exclusive Sony game. It is bigger than Halo at it peak...

From that chart i think TLOU ahead .
Don't forget TLOU is one game

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sony need to stop with the 8k talk, reminds me of PS3 talk of 1080p.

Why would they? It's not like games are going to be that resolution. It's a bullet point meant to show that it's a future proof tech for investors and enthusiasts who may plop a few grand on a 8K set in the near future. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Last I checked, that point is not taking away from all the other relevant things.

Feb 10, 2018
Iirc Titanfall runs at around 6K on XB OX according to DF. There may be some games that can run at 8K. Not all of course but some indies and sport games. 8K is getting advertised these days and you find it in most supermarkets. By 2020 and Tokyo olympics, it will get more widespread and little more affordable so Sony would really want to take advantage of it and market it through its PS5.

Can the human eye even detect more then 4k on a 50inch TV at 5 - 6ft away?

I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k content, 8k seems so pointless, unless you have a 125+inch tv

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

And remasters. IMO if TLOU can do a 60fps target at 1800p on the Pro, I could 100% see them moving the res to reconstructed 8K (along with a native 4K locked 60fps mode).

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Maybe come next gen they could put there games on PSN Now so even PS4 users can play .

Yes but some people double dip for TLOU. After I think TLOU2 will sold at least as good as Uncharted 4...they can sold 20 millions TLOU2...

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
That way if they buy a PS5 later on everything will carry over.

This is exactly why I think the PS4 will be Sony's low end option- make it suuuuuper cheap, can play most cross gens games natively, can stream next gen games, get people into the PlayStation ecosystem at an insanely cheap price point. If you want the next gen experience locally, get a PS5. If you just want into the world of PlayStation, pick up an insanely cheap PS4.

Also why Lockhart is so confusing. Why not just make it an app for the Xbox One S with the ability to just stream next gen Xbox games and drop the price drastically.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Also why Lockhart is so confusing. Why not just make it an app for the Xbox One S with the ability to just stream next gen Xbox games and drop the price drastically.

What makes you think they aren't already planning that?

The Lockhart would just be an entry level device for people who don't want to stream or rely solely on streaming.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Can the human eye even detect more then 4k on a 50inch TV at 5 - 6ft away?

I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k content, 8k seems so pointless, unless you have a 125+inch tv

I agree. Some 8K sets that aren't that big looked kinda even not as good as some OLED 4K ones which were even more expensive than the 8K sets. I think what will define how the screen will look is not just the resolution but the tech behind it.

Feb 10, 2018

PS5 games being streamed, is not the same as cross gen games, but yes streaming will play a role next gen.

Why would they? It's not like games are going to be that resolution. It's a bullet point meant to show that it's a future proof tech for investors and enthusiasts who may plop a few grand on a 8K set in the near future. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Last I checked, that point is not taking away from all the other relevant things.

Just seems not like the straight forward and no bulshit approach of the PS4 messaging,
But you're right, there will be people who want 8k. But "the gamers" will see right past it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
PS5 games being streamed, is not the same as cross gen games, but yes streaming will play a role next gen.

Just seems not like the straight forward and no bulshit approach of the PS4 messaging,
But you're right, there will be people who want 8k. But "informed buyers" will see right past it.

FTFY. Sorry, but I absolutely abhor the term, "the gamers". To me, they are toxic trash. I am sorry mate, I understand what you meant though.

Feb 10, 2018
This is exactly why I think the PS4 will be Sony's low end option- make it suuuuuper cheap, can play most cross gens games natively, can stream next gen games, get people into the PlayStation ecosystem at an insanely cheap price point. If you want the next gen experience locally, get a PS5. If you just want into the world of PlayStation, pick up an insanely cheap PS4.

Why bother with next consoles at all, just stream next gen games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What is funny is going into this year we knew more of MS plans thanks to rumours .
Now we know a good amount of Sony plans thanks to the info they giving out .
Going to be interesting to see what MS say this E3.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Wait so the PS4 hasn't had a price drop since 2016? Did not know that, My god imagine how long it'll take for the PS5 to get a price cut if its as successful as the PS4 in year-by-year sales.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway the source for the article that AMD created Navi for Playstation 5 is Jason Evangelho, who worked at AMD a year before that article was published.

Think it was less about Navi being created for Sony, but rather they were given more manpower for their R&D work on the PS5 GPU though.

Feb 10, 2018
Whatever the consoles are I'm excited to see what there games are like.

One thing about sony's ssd solution if it is a lot better then scarletts/PC, unfortunately only first party games will really take advantage of it.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I demand a sequel/reboot/remake of Folklore! What an amazing game, that nobody noticed because everyone was busy bashing the PS3 price

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait so the PS4 hasn't had a price drop since 2016? Did not know that, My god imagine how long it'll take for the PS5 to get a price cut if its as successful as the PS4 in year-by-year sales.

The last slide shows a graph about the price decrease for PS2, PS3 and PS4. Why doesn't the PS4 price drop to 200 bucks like the previous ones? It seems the price will stagnate to 300 bucks.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The last slide shows a graph about the price decrease for PS2, PS3 and PS4. Why doesn't the PS4 price drop to 200 bucks like the previous ones? It seems the price will stagnate to 300 bucks.

Because it has been successful at the $299 price and they only need to drop it for promotional periods. They also said the promo periods we're self-financing thanks to software and services so that would imply the console itself would be at a loss at $199.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Notice how both the PS3 and PS2 drop to the lowest points on the graph despite being different prices, yet the PS4 still has more of a gap. They're telegraphing a price drop there.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it has been successful at the $299 price and they only need to drop it for promotional periods. They also said the promo periods we're self-financing thanks to software and services so that would imply the console itself would be at a loss at $199.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Xbox One SAD took out the blu ray drive and it still could only be sold for 249 without making a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.