• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I wounder what sony/ms buying 10s of millions of mvne drives is gunna doo. feels like econ of scale ends up pushing the price down for everyone by a decent bit.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
anexanhume
M3rcy
Hey guys, ever thought about that you don't need HBCC if you already have a shared memory pool? With HBCC you add extra complexity and die space to just marry a cost intensive HBM2 with slower DDR4 to get back to a pseudo "shared memory" access. Sounds weird to me. Or maybe I am just to dumb to see the advantages ... (cost, complexity, bandwidth ... you name it)

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope when Navi is fully unveiled we can get some good analysis on just how much the broken features in Vega bring to the table. Given they're fully usable and easily exploitable in Navi. Among them I think were Conservative Rasterizer, Draw Stream Binning, Primitive Shaders and NGG Fastpath. It's been a while so I'm not up to date on where these are at exactly.

The adoredTV chart claiming the 3080 was Vega64 + 15% may give credence to this. But I thought there was a huge gap between the 3080 Navi10, and 3070 Navi12 being just equivalent to Vega56.

I'm expecting ~Vega"60" performace in the consoles given all the constraints to consider.

LhqKmZ6.jpg

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why you'd have this sort of a device. For streaming you go with a cheap dongle-ish device. Your streaming box at this price would just kill the chances of success of your streaming business.
Because it can play traditional games too..notice I used the word 'intended'.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
anexanhume
M3rcy
Hey guys, ever thought about that you don't need HBCC if you already have a shared memory pool? With HBCC you add extra complexity and die space to just marry a cost intensive HBM2 with slower DDR4 to get back to a pseudo "shared memory" access. Sounds weird to me. Or maybe I am just to dumb to see the advantages ... (cost, complexity, bandwidth ... you name it)
The problem is that you need intelligence to effectively manage that shared pool. Enter HBCC.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't Stadia slot in at 10.7TF instead of the mentioned 9.7TF?
So interpreting the article correctly, Eurogamer thinks the PS5 is about 10TF now and Anaconda is about 12TF?
Richard thinks Anaconda to be expensive premium console like XBOX ONE X. But it seems he doesn't expect PS5 to be expensive premium console like Anaconda, so his expectations is around 10TF for PS5.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do I need to modify my baseline? Even german tech sites are now reporting about a much more powerful Anaconda compared to the PS5. Should I still trust the word of Brad Sams on it or should I follow my gut feeling and say that Anaconda would be more powerful? Decisions, decisions ...

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
anexanhume
M3rcy

It'll be able to cost reduce like crazy though over time, and I think the HBCC was going in anyway to manage the data streaming from the SSD. HBCC is going to be a part of Navi anyway, because of it's applications in the enterprise space. It's actually not a matter of putting it in to a Navi-based SoC, it's a matter of not taking it out. :)

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be funny if Sony's reveal to focus on the hard drive is to force MS' hand to reveal something else for Anaconda during E3.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Do I need to modify my baseline? Even german tech sites are now reporting about a much more powerful Anaconda compared to the PS5. Should I still trust the word of Brad Sams on it or should I follow my gut feeling and say that Anaconda would be more powerful? Decisions, decisions ...

trust your gut. I don't even know what "much more powerful" could possibly mean. From a gamers perspective the difference between 10 TF and 12 TF is probably not even noticeable but from a hardware design standpoint the difference is huge and hard to achieve.

Some people probably think like PS5 is 10TF and XboxNext is like 15TF. Not gonna happen

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It'll be able to cost reduce like crazy though over time, and I think the HBCC was going in anyway to manage the data streaming from the SSD.
I see the use case, but you don't need HBM2 for having HBCC, you can just do it with GDDR6. Cheaper and as efficient in caching slower memory ... my point was more pointing to the HBM2/DDR4 memory setup rather than HBCC. I should have expressed myself better :/

Oct 25, 2017
lol

As unlikely as it may seem I'm still holding out hope for a dual Navi GPU in a chiplet formation :) So if a single Navi can give us say, 12TF, I'm hoping for 18-20 TF (factoring in inefficiencies and all) for a dual setup.

18-20 TFLOPS is about what you'd expect at the top end of PC gaming next year. You're not getting a console with that amount of power, period.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It'll be able to cost reduce like crazy though over time, and I think the HBCC was going in anyway to manage the data streaming from the SSD. HBCC is going to be a part of Navi anyway, because of it's applications in the enterprise space. It's actually not a matter of putting it in to a Navi-based SoC, it's a matter of not taking it out. :)
Single stack HBM3.

Does HBCC sufficiently abstract to where you could go down to 2 channels of DDR4 at some point? That would be a neat trick too.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
trust your gut. I don't even know what "much more powerful" could possibly mean. From a gamers perspective the difference between 10 TF and 12 TF is probably not even noticeable but from a hardware design standpoint the difference is huge and hard to achieve.

Some people probably think like PS5 is 10TF and XboxNext is like 15TF. Not gonna happen
I will give the rumor more time to grow before I go back to 3 levels of performance (which was the initial prediction just at a lower base).

This would also lead me to modify my vote to 12TF max. for a console. LOL

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
BTW, what was with that patent from Sony posted in the old thread a couple days ago about a cooling solution? It wasn't comprehensible to me, but was there enough information there to figure out how good it could possibly be?

18-20 TFLOPS is about what you'd expect at the top end of PC gaming next year. You're not getting a console with that amount of power, period.

I know it's more than a long shot. Still, I just found myself fascinated by the idea of dual GPU's when I first learned about chiplets.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I guess you mean that article on pcgameshardware.de. That's a classic Resetera -> Internet -> resetera. They are explicitly naming their "source": user Klobrille from Resetera.

Last edited:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Xeon's Prediction

14tf minimum
HBM in some form (more than 16gb RAM)
Zen2 (revealed)
Backwards compatible (announced)
499$

Main difference in Anaconda is the GDDR6 RAM.

The 10tf 16gigs RAM predictions are the new 8tf type that are destined to fail :)

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I see the use case, but you don't need HBM2 for having HBCC, you can just do it with GDDR6. Cheaper and as efficient in caching slower memory ... my point was more pointing to the HBM2/DDR4 memory setup rather than HBCC. I should have expressed myself better :/

The CPU/GPU memory contention issue is real, though. This setup fixes it. Maybe when you weigh up all the pros and cons this setup ends up just barely tipping the scales in it's favor. That's all it would take. And the potential for long-term cost reduction is no small factor.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Are all the "leaks" somewhere on Era? There is one of the 1St page. Anything else or it doesn't seem worthy to keep posting them?

Off the top of my head, for PS5 there's the reddit rumor from that guy who called Sony skipping E3 2019; the pastebin from a small third party developer who included such things as GTA VI in 2020 while calling some of the specs. Personally, these seem less likely. Then there's the rumor on the first page that you mentioned.

For Xbox there's the report from Brad Sams and Windows Central on two different Xbox models at launch(this seems legit). As for these two sources, the talk around is these are controlled leaks by Microsoft themselves.

Some of Era's members also posted some info regarding both:

GPU decompression being the "secret sauce" regarding next-gen consoles' SSDs

Xbox Anaconda aiming to be the clearly the better performing console

PS5 and Xbox aiming for higher teraflops than Google Stadia's 10TF and launch year being 2020

There may be some other events this year regarding next-gen consoles

Knowing AMD is powering the consoles, next month, AMD is revealing info about their upcoming 7nm products at Computex and one-two of these products are probably the base for what's being used inside these consoles.

I'm missing some but honestly, we'll probably know at E3.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Whatever the actual reveal announcement date/event will be for the next gen console(s) I will make sure to grab a nice big cup of coffee and closely watch this thread to see how the people that are expecting more than 14 TFLOPs are reacting to the actual reveal performance numbers of next gen consoles.
That will probably be more exciting than the actual information !

(a little bit of banter here on my end and I certainly don't want to downtalk or suppress or make fun of anyones expectations or speculation, but oh boy I am genuinely excited to see reality hitting)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Not too technical, but I did come across this recent Engadget video explaining chiplets. Not a bad video to just get up to speed on the subject.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
A $199 PS4 is going to absolutely slay.

Hopefully they do a price cut on the Pro too.

Please let these rumours be true, lol.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
To all the people saying that 8-10Tflops would be disappointing. Do you think that GoW is the best looking game ever? If you do, you wont be disappointed by a 8-10Tflops PS5. The PS4 launched with less flops than a what middle-high 2009 AMD GPU's had (A Radeon HD 5850 is rated at 2Tflops).

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
To all the people saying that 8-10Tflops would be disappointing. Do you think that GoW is the best looking game ever? If you do, you wont be disappointed by a 8-10Tflops PS5. The PS4 launched with less flops than a what middle-high 2009 AMD GPU's had (A Radeon HD 5850 is rated at 2Tflops).

Yeah and people put too much emphasis on TFLOPs. I would rather have a 6.5 TF RTX 2060 than a 10.5 TF Vega 56. I hope Navi can improve on that a lot compared to Vega, but my expectations are pretty low.

A 2080 Ti at 1900 MHz is already at 16.5 TFLOPS. No reason to think NV won't be pushing up against 20 TFLOPS after moving to 7nm, imo. Especially for those of us that plan to put them on water.

yup if Nvidia really wants to they can create a BEAST on 7nm, but I guess it would probably be late 2020?

Oct 25, 2017
Right.

First party stuff will be absurd regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the HBM rumor may have some truth. Too many advantages:

- long term cost reduction
- power savings allowing for beefier GPU
- larger total RAM than a unified approach

But I guess it all comes down to the deals that are being made

So what would be some potential disadvantages with HBM? I suppose short term cost would be one but I have no worry about Sony being able to handle it.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Not disappointing. Just unrealistically low

Status
Not open for further replies.