• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Not if even now no one but a very select few know that they are or plan to.

Still the closer something is to launch the easier it to get leaks .
Be it from devs kits , marketing stuff or manufacturing .
If MS was to coming out in NOV for example that only 4 ( not counting E3 month)months from now with out hear anything .
That would be very impressive in this day and age .

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
0 chance of launching this year. The leaks would have been all over the place by now as there would be dozens if not hundreds of teams working on it.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I can see it. The one time Microsoft was able to (almost) beat Sony was when they launched one year earlier. Maybe they are trying to repeat that.

This would also explain why apparently they are so confident about Anaconda being "the undisputed performance leader". Because they would be.

____

Btw., where the hell is Call of Duty? Almost all previous games were revealed before E3. Which reminds me of this rumor...

Call Of Duty Dev Hiring For Next-Gen Shooter

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-dev-hiring-for-next-gen-shooter/1100-6460127/

Just a coincidence? 🤔😄

i hope they are using new engine for next gen game.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ...

AMD is projecting a 20% decline in their semi-custom business due to the decline of 7th gen consoles with an expected increase in 2020 with the launch of PS5 and another unannounced partner (Microsoft). If the next Xbox was launching this year, AMD wouldn't be able to hide it in their projections without lying to investors.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Jesus Christ...

AMD is projecting a 20% decline in their semi-custom business due to the decline of 7th gen consoles with an expected increase in 2020 with the launch of PS5 and another unannounced partner (Microsoft). If the next Xbox was launching this year, AMD wouldn't be able to hide it in their projections without lying to investors.
This is something I am just musing over.... and I don't mean to start providing counter arguments for why it may be the case cause I don't really believe it is. But with regards to what you have said....

Between the PS4 and MS last year AMD sold about what? 25M? 28M chips? If MSlaunchesin November this year they sell like what? 2M? 3M consoles. Considering the expected decline in PS4 and XB1 sales, even with the 2/3M sals of the next xbox overall sales of AMD semi-custom chips will still be lower this year compared to last year.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
This is something I am just musing over.... and I don't mean to start providing counter arguments for why it may be the case cause I don't really believe it is. But with regards to what you have said....

Between the PS4 and MS last year AMD sold about what? 25M? 28M chips? If MSlaunchesin November this year they sell like what? 2M? 3M consoles. Considering the expected decline in PS4 and XB1 sales, even with the 2/3M sals of the next xbox overall sales of AMD semi-custom chips will still be lower this year compared to last year.

Microsoft would be paying up front for more than the amount of consoles they would sell before the end of the year. Just go back and look at AMD's financial results in 2013, they were profiting from PS4 and XB1 before those consoles even hit the market.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Microsoft would be paying up front for more than the amount of consoles they would sell before the end of the year. Just go back and look at AMD's financial results in 2013, they were profiting from PS4 and XB1 before those consoles even hit the market.
Yup you are right.. forgot about that.

Anyway don't mind me... just silly ideas; blame it on the lack of leaks.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
If Sony put some patch to increase FPS with BC, like 30fps to 60fps, could be awesome but I really doubt... maybe for Sony exclusive game only. BLoodborne 60fps patch ? :D

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That person knows his shit.
So far it's the most believable leak.
Or the best fake. (the only good one, to be true)
Nah, the most believable leak has been the HBM rumor, by far. As it is actually supported by even very subtle information that we have of the PS5 (the 2 memory bus listed on ariel). This one is weird and even though this person did his research on parts, i do not yet see much backing for this rumor from the things we knew prior.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Nah, the most believable leak has been the HBM rumor, by far. As it is actually supported by even very subtle information that we have of the PS5 (the 2 memory bus listed on ariel). This one is weird and even though this person did his research on parts, i do not yet see much backing for this rumor from the things we knew prior.

Titan V power level, TLC NAND, 32 Gb clamshell multiple sign this is a fake.

Oct 28, 2017
No way MS launches this year it would have no software support which would prove to be a very poor launch strategy

Hypothetically, if it did launch this year, wouldn't it have the usual third party multiplats at least? Like this years Call of duty, need for speed, Madden, nba2k, plus more BC titles?

That would probably get lots of ppl to buy the new Xbox if Microsoft were to get it out this holiday. Although I'd worry if there'd be another rrod fiasco if they rushed it like they did the 360.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Someone please make predictions for Xbox Scarlett mid-gen upgrade

Project Gemini - Xbox Anaconda X
Fall 2024
2.5x to 4x increase in performance over Anaconda
More emphasis on RT than higher resolutions (native 4K is enough)

This would mean they would have to support three consoles at once with vastly different power. It'll always be anchored to the lowest base specs of the Xbox Lockhart unit because that will have to play the same games.

Feb 23, 2019
Hypothetically, if it did launch this year, wouldn't it have the usual third party multiplats at least? Like this years Call of duty, need for speed, Madden, nba2k, plus more BC titles?

That would probably get lots of ppl to buy the new Xbox if Microsoft were to get it out this holiday. Although I'd worry if there'd be another rrod fiasco if they rushed it like they did the 360.

They would but it would be no better than the X except framerate

I don't see a next gen launch without next gen exclusives going over too well

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sorry, which HBM rumour?
I dont have it on me right now but its basically a memory setup of 8gb of hbm and 16gb of ddr4, 4gb of the ddr4 is used for the OS. The remaining memory is shared between the CPU and GPU and with the use of HBCC it appears to the devs as 20gb of memory. There are a couple of advantages to this, the first is that the ps4 had the issue where the CPU took a disproportionate chunk of the bandwidth, and this split memory setup. Second the HBM will use significantly less TDP than what a GDDR6 would, meaning you can push higher GPU clock speed. Another point is the HBM prices are expected to go down faster than GDDR6 so it would be more cost efficient in the future.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Sorry, which HBM rumour?

It was posted on reddit a while back. Basically saying that the PS5 will use 16GB DDR4 and 8GB HBM2, managed by AMD's High Bandwidth Cache Controller to appear as a single pool for devs. It also went into some very complex detail on how this would work and why Sony could afford it, including discussion of obscure new packing technologies. If it's fake, it's an incredibly smart and well-researched fake.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between Vega and Navi for a pleb like me?
What is the difference between Navi and Vega? People seem to think Navi is better for some reason.
Navi will be more efficient, giving more graphical power for the same number of watts. But Vega will apparently continue as AMD's flagship gaming card, with Navi launching as a medium tier. (I don't know specifically why that is, but multiple sources say so.) Microsoft want to be undisputed performance leader, so that might make Vega attractive to them. Also, Vega features effectual FP64 calculation, which is rare for gaming but useful for machine learning AI and other advanced tasks. And Microsoft have officially said they want to use the same hardware in the next Xbox and their gaming servers.

It's important to note that this imagined scenario where Sony use Navi and Microsoft use Vega wouldn't have an inevitable winner. It could go all sorts of ways. Maybe Microsoft does get the highest TF card, and their Xbox One X experience lets them cool it effectively without much extra cost. There's rumors that Navi isn't as effective or power-thrifty as meant to be, and maybe PS5 could end up needing extra cooling redesign and downclocks at the last minute, which make it just as expensive as Xbox but notably less powerful.

Or, maybe Vega has higher TF but a lack of efficiency, and the usage of chip space for new server-specific features makes the next Xbox less performant than expected. Meanwhile, a careful Navi design with smartly customized gaming-relevant features allows PS5 to produce graphics basically indistinguishable from Anaconda, but at a much lower price.

In other words, neither choice is necessarily bad. Both have potential drawbacks, but both also have potential advantages for what the different platforms hope to accomplish. And no matter what they design for, some tech bets simply don't pan out.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I dont have it on me right now but its basically a memory setup of 8gb of hbm and 16gb of ddr4, 4gb of the ddr4 is used for the OS. The remaining memory is shared between the CPU and GPU and with the use of HBCC it appears to the devs as 20gb of memory. There are a couple of advantages to this, the first is that the ps4 had the issue where the CPU took a disproportionate chunk of the bandwidth, and this split memory setup. Second the HBM will use significantly less TDP than what a GDDR6 would, meaning you can push higher GPU clock speed. Another point is the HBM prices are expected to go down faster than GDDR6 so it would be more cost efficient in the future.

It was posted on reddit a while back. Basically saying that the PS5 will use 16GB DDR4 and 8GB HBM2, managed by AMD's High Bandwidth Cache Controller to appear as a single pool for devs. It also went into some very complex detail on how this would work and why Sony could afford it, including discussion of obscure new packing technologies. If it's fake, it's an incredibly smart and well-researched fake.

The 8GB HBM2 would be the faster pool then right?
That is pretty crazy though WOW.
Is this setup decent enough or do you think developers need more? 16GB HBM2 + 16GB DDR4?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Its not that a while back actually, it was a month ago. Well to be specific only a few hours before the wired article dropped ;p some suspicious timing there
Is this setup decent enough or do you think developers need more? 16GB HBM2 + 16GB DDR4?
The HBM is actually slower than you would expect, only about 430gb/s of bandwidth. But the thing is that because of the memory setup sony managed to lower the optimal ratio of memory bandwidth to teraflops. So that you can push a higher TF number on the same bandwidth without creating bottlenecks.
And no, i would say that the developers should be fine with such a memory setup, think about it like this, they have about the same bandwidth and memory size on the hbm as the rtx 2080's vram, and if the rumors are true of navi increasing efficiency to be closer to nvidia, then that target would make a lot of sense.

Nov 30, 2017
Navi will be more efficient, giving more graphical power for the same number of watts. But Vega will apparently continue as AMD's flagship gaming card, with Navi launching as a medium tier. (I don't know specifically why that is, but multiple sources say so.) Microsoft want to be undisputed performance leader, so that might make Vega attractive to them. Also, Vega features effectual FP64 calculation, which is rare for gaming but useful for machine learning AI and other advanced tasks. And Microsoft have officially said they want to use the same hardware in the next Xbox and their gaming servers.

It's important to note that this imagined scenario where Sony use Navi and Microsoft use Vega wouldn't have an inevitable winner. It could go all sorts of ways. Maybe Microsoft does get the highest TF card, and their Xbox One X experience lets them cool it effectively without much extra cost. There's rumors that Navi isn't as effective or power-thrifty as meant to be, and maybe PS5 could end up needing extra cooling redesign and downclocks at the last minute, which make it just as expensive as Xbox but notably less powerful.

Or, maybe Vega has higher TF but a lack of efficiency, and the usage of chip space for new server-specific features makes the next Xbox less performant than expected. Meanwhile, a careful Navi design with smartly customized gaming-relevant features allows PS5 to produce graphics basically indistinguishable from Anaconda, but at a much lower price.

In other words, neither choice is necessarily bad. Both have potential drawbacks, but both also have potential advantages for what the different platforms hope to accomplish. And no matter what they design for, some tech bets simply don't pan out.

Thank you for this explanation as I was also wondering.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It would most likely be just fine due to the insane speeds the SSD will hit. If it's doing nearly 5GB/s, that's more than half the contents of the VRAM being swapped out every second. The primary reason for needing a lot of RAM is that your storage solution can't put things into it and take them out fast enough. If they were using a HDD, or a slow 500MB/s SSD, then it would be a different story.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
It would most likely be just fine due to the insane speeds the SSD will hit. If it's doing nearly 5GB/s, that's more than half the contents of the VRAM being swapped out every second. The primary reason for needing a lot of RAM is that your storage solution can't put things into it and take them out fast enough. If they were using a HDD, or a slow 500MB/s SSD, then it would be a different story.

Its not that a while back actually, it was a month ago. Well to be specific only a few hours before the wired article dropped ;p some suspicious timing there

The HBM is actually slower than you would expect, only about 430gb/s of bandwidth. But the thing is that because of the memory setup sony managed to lower the optimal ratio of memory bandwidth to teraflops. So that you can push a higher TF number on the same bandwidth without creating bottlenecks.
And no, i would say that the developers should be fine with such a memory setup, think about it like this, they have about the same bandwidth and memory size on the hbm as the rtx 2080's vram, and if the rumors are true of navi increasing efficiency to be closer to nvidia, then that target would make a lot of sense.
Thanks guys for the explanations. Its very much appreciated and why i love this forum so much.
You always learn something new.

Feb 10, 2018
What do you folks think we will learn about Navi on the 27th May Lisa su amd Computex keynote.
Because I'm pretty confident the $300 gpu Navi gpu is the one we will see in the ps5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Thanks guys for the explanations. Its very much appreciated and why i love this forum so much.
You always learn something new.
Yea this thread is really fun once you get to speculate about all these possible directions for next gen, sadly often the fun speculation just gets drowned in all the tflop wars...

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

AdoredTV admit his rumor of power consumption efficiency aren't very accurate and rumors are all over the place and the Sapphire interview paint a better story.

Feb 10, 2018

It's interesting that when Andrew House describes the PS4's price he uses very similar words to Mark Cernys recent words on the PS5's price.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It's interesting that when Andrew House describes the PS4's price he uses very similar words to Mark Cernys recent words on the PS5's price.

Different context. Besides the fact that this price was revealed in the wake of the $499 Xbox One (and, in a sense, the $599 PS3), not the $399 PS4, it's also during a full reveal, as opposed the the nextgen system being talked about in a very limited fashion. The PS4 price reveal taking about value makes sense in that light. What struck me about Cerny's statement is that despite being in a super-early interview where most of the details were being kept close to the chest with only very specific facts being revealed, when directly asked about the price, he chooses to focus on and promise a vaguely-defined 'advanced feature set' despite the question not even being about that. He could've just said that PlayStation would be 'continuing the value-oriented approach that was so successful for us in the current generation' (which Andrew House couldn't have said in 2013, hence my point about situational context), or something similar, but he didn't.

And remember, the interviewer immediately interpreted his statement as pointing to a higher price made up for by advanced tech, and Cerny didn't dispute that. That's hardly proof or anything, but it does bring up the question of why you think you have a better grasp of Cerny's meaning from reading a transcript than the guy who was actually speaking to him in person.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Makes me wonder what GPU (Navi 10 lite) we will get in $399/$499 consoles if this Navi 10 card prices are true.AMD 7850 ( variant of that was in PS4) launched at $249.

I don't think it work like this. I think you can do anything if it is inside the power budget of the console. The most important things is not the price but the TDP and die size of the Navi PC GPU compare it with die size and TDP of APU GPU and add console RAM TDP.

EDIT: Seeing PCB image of Navi PC GPU it seems we can have the die sizs is not a problem. Console GPU will probably have slower frequencies. Navi PC GPU are rumored to be more than 2Ghz.

Nov 12, 2017
Except all the news items on various globaal hardware, gaming and electronics focused websites.
Expected ? If tomorrow Ms release a info of Ana it will have the same effect ....is not that they can't catch up....they are waiting their event . It have zero effect on the marketing campaign for their next console I was meaning this

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
On a thread of an anthusiast forum where there are always been lots of ps fans ? Yeah it did )). In the grand scheme ..pretty much zero effect

The Playstation 5 news got articles on the biggest news sites in my country, mostly focusing on the 8K and SSD showcase. And i'm not even talking about tech/gaming websites, who covered it way more feverishly.

For a random article that just dropped out of nowhere and didn't really say anything, it certainly made waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.