• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017
The Playstation 5 news got articles on the biggest news sites in my country, mostly focusing on the 8K and SSD showcase. And i'm not even talking about tech/gaming websites, who covered it way more feverishly.

For a random article that just dropped out of nowhere and didn't really say anything, it certainly made waves.
Sure it did ...but saying "took the wind out Ms sails" is just a bs ...Ms could have the same effect releasing a tidbit of their next console but why ? They will have a x10 impact in 14 days at e3....I'll never understand why Sony didn't go IMHO their worst idea

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a thread of an anthusiast forum where there are always been lots of ps fans ? Yeah it did )). In the grand scheme ..pretty much zero effect

I agree that in isolation, it's not really doing much.
However I also think that it automatically puts them in a position, whereby any reveal from MS will be compared to the Cerny PS5 reveal-lite.

I'm not saying Sony are playing 4D Chess and this was some brilliant move. But there are some natural advantages of talking about your next gen console first. The most obvious one being that all discussions about Xbox will no doubt be compared or discussed with relation to PS5.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Of course you can but at what price point?

I don't think the price point of the PC GPU is so important, We talk about a GPU six years ago. You need to take count of inflation and the ridiculous price explosion of RAM for example.

PC GPU need to be profitable, it was one of Vega problem. And AMD seems to see more value in Navi GPU and decided to do more profit. It probably have nothing to do with production cost of Navi GPU. AMD GPU were cheaper because it was the only way for low and mid range GPU to be competitve. High range they aren't competitive because this part of the market is less price sensitive and want the best GPU.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't think the price point of the PC GPU is so important, We talk about a GPU six years ago. You need to take count of inflation and the ridiculous price explosion of RAM for example.

PC GPU need to be profitable, it was one of Vega problem. And AMD seems to see more value in Navi GPU and decided to do more profit. It probably have nothing to do with production cost of Navi GPU. AMD GPU were cheaper because it was the only way for low and mid range GPU to be competitve. High range they aren't competitive because this part of the market is less price sensitive and want the best GPU.

Of course,but i just think we have to be realistic: if Navi 10 cards alone have $399/$499 price,what Navi 10 variant can we expect in $399/$499 consoles?

AdoredTV premise was that Navi mid range cards will be cheap/affordable at launch.That's simply not true if these Sapphire prices are correct.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Makes me wonder what GPU (Navi 10 lite) we will get in $399/$499 consoles if this Navi 10 card prices are true.AMD 7850 ( variant of that was in PS4) launched at $249.
Maybe this big price is a good sign as gpu as expensive must be at level of nvidia geforce at that price and ps5 probably will get downclocked version of this cards. On monday there will be some amd navi presentation, we will know more.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I think going second is a good strategy. It worked with Sony for the PS4 in 2013. Sony going first now gives the opportunity to Microsoft to one up them and use their marketing against them (again same as 2013). It won't be a pure specs reveal but it'll be a counter which will leave people wondering how Sony will respond. That's my take anyway.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sure it did ...but saying "took the wind out Ms sails" is just a bs ...Ms could have the same effect releasing a tidbit of their next console but why ? They will have a x10 impact in 14 days at e3....I'll never understand why Sony didn't go IMHO their worst idea

I never said it took the wind out of Microsoft's sails, you were the one claiming that the news drop had 'zero effect' while in fact it has had the opposite. It was mainstream news and anyone interested in gaming will likely have read or heard about it. There's been follow-up articles and discussion for weeks.

And no matter how you slice it, the article did take away some marketing bulletpoints that Microsoft was sure to hit. Raytracing, super-fast SSD's, 8K and BC were surely going to be items in Microsoft's big reveal, no matter when it might take place. The PS5 is now firmly in the next-gen conversation and I think that's exactly what Sony intended.

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Am I the only one who haven't bought games for say the last 10 months, waiting for the PS5?
I just cant stand playing games on inferior hardware anymore... (have OG PS4 know that xbox1 is powerful sure, but buying that when next gen is around the corner?).

Remake2 etc must get beautiful 4/8k upgrades on PS5 for my 70inch oled, can't wait for it... Am I alone to think like this?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think going second is a good strategy. It worked with Sony for the PS4 in 2013. Sony going first now gives the opportunity to Microsoft to one up them and use their marketing against them (again same as 2013). It won't be a pure specs reveal but it'll be a counter which will leave people wondering how Sony will respond. That's my take anyway.

Microsoft isn't 'going second' though. The PS5 wasn't revealed, specs and demos were not shown in a public setting. All they did was put PS5 in people's minds, anticipating a reveal at a later date. How is Microsoft going to use the news against them exactly when they haven't even shown their hand?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony went first with PS4 .xbox1 reveal was after Sony ps4

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Of course,but i just think we have to be realistic: if Navi 10 cards alone have $399/$499 price,what Navi 10 variant can we expect in $399/$499 consoles?

AdoredTV premise was that Navi mid range cards will be cheap/affordable at launch.That's simply not true if these Sapphire prices are correct.

AdoredTV is not a good reference for GPU. He was not thinking Navi mid-range could be better than 2070 and from rumors best Navi 10 variant is competitive with the leaked benchmark of 2070 Ti. It is great performance for a mid-range GPU.

Even the first best case table, he gaves Navi 10 was not at this level of performance. The number of CU will be totally different too. He was thinking Navi would be a dud again and AMD will fight with price again ...

The only important things is TDP of the GPU, the only other important things is RAM pricd and TDP of RAM inside console. This will be the limiting factor for console. RAM choice is very important this generation.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Eh? Sony went first last time, by several months.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Am I the only one who haven't bought games for say the last 10 months, waiting for the PS5?
I just cant stand playing games on inferior hardware anymore... (have OG PS4 know that xbox1 is powerful sure, but buying that when next gen is around the corner?).

Remake2 etc must get beautiful 4/8k upgrades on PS5 for my 70inch oled, can't wait for it... Am I alone to think like this?
How r u sure that RE 2 would get a patch ? These games look imoressive now .once the new gen starts they start to look dated compared to new gen games .enjoy them now at their best(if you have a pro or x that is )

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sony was first in 2013, in february

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Microsoft isn't 'going second' though. The PS5 wasn't revealed, specs and demos were not shown in a public setting. All they did was put PS5 in people's minds, anticipating a reveal at a later date. How is Microsoft going to use the news against them exactly when they haven't even shown their hand?
You're contradicting your own post just a minute ago. Sony has revealed all the key aspects of their console. Processor family, graphics family, resolution support, storage type etc. If Microsoft wanted to one up them it would be as easy as saying they support 8K 60 fps (upscaled obviously but Sony's will also be upscaled unless anyone really believes next gen consoles will output games at native 8K), or saying they're using Zen 3 or something. Bigger = better. And like I said it would leave everyone interested in how Sony will respond to that. No one is at a disadvantage by this but let's not pretend that come E3 if Microsoft drops info about the next Xbox everyone here won't will be eagerly waiting for Sony's response so I think I'm right in saying it allows Microsoft to get a one up for the time being.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Sony was first in 2013, in february
Ok yeah you're right. It left the ball in Microsoft's court and Sony managed to counter them well (not that it wasn't very easy with the always online stuff). Seems like this is a repeat of 2013 then*. Although if I remember correctly they didn't release an article they held a conference.

*in terms of the order each product was revealed

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

This seems like a little contrived a point to make.

To all intents and purposes, the PS5 has been revealed. They introduced their plans for the PS5 announced the CPU ans GPU architecture and discussed at lengths the major "next-gen" feature besides more performance, which they believe will have the biggest impact on the games we'll play next-gen.

To argue that PS5 hasn't been revealed because we don't know what games are coming or what the clocks or BS theoretical TFs numbers seems a little over the top. It's splitting hairs.

Sony is now freely discussing PS5 with investors and public. They're not revealing their entire hand, but they didn't do that with the PS4 at the PS Meeting either - we didn't see the box or learn the price or a host of other details.

You don't need to know everything about a product before it qualifies as a reveal.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a little contrived a point to make.

To all intents and purposes, the PS5 has been revealed. They introduced their plans for the PS5 announced the CPU ans GPU architecture and discussed at lengths the major "next-gen" feature besides more performance, which they believe will have the biggest impact on the games we'll play next-gen.

To argue that PS5 hasn't been revealed because we don't know what games are coming or what the clocks or BS theoretical TFs numbers seems a little over the top. It's splitting hairs.

Sony is now freely discussing PS5 with investors and public. They're not revealing their entire hand, but they didn't do that with the PS4 at the PS Meeting either - we didn't see the box or learn the price or a host of other details.

You don't need to know everything about a product before it qualifies as a reveal.

I will say business\plan wise they reveal around what they did at the PS Meeting .
Tech , features, games it's less compare to the PS Meeting.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
AdoredTV is not a good reference for GPU. He was not thinking Navi mid-range could be better than 2070 and from rumors best Navi 10 variant is competitive with the leaked benchmark of 2070 Ti. It is great performance for a mid-range GPU.

Even the first best case table, he gaves Navi 10 was not at this level of performance. The number of CU will be totally different too. He was thinking Navi would be a dud again and AMD will fight with price again ...

The only important things is TDP of the GPU, the only other important things is RAM and TDP of RAM price inside console. This will be the limiting factor for console. RAM choice is very important this generation.

The most important thing for console is,and always was,price.
I think Colbert noticed first right after Wired article that they barely even mentioned next gen GPU except nebulous words like "RT support,8K" etc.All the buzz was/is around SSD,"no loading times" and Zen2.If we wanna be cynical we might conclude that the least improvement next gen will be in GPU/TFs part.

Alameda

Banned
May 19, 2019
Why do some of you think your more clever than the engineers working at Sony and Microsoft? Many of you said SSDs were unrealistic in next gen consoles, yet Sony confirmed them to be a reality and vetrfied posters here even said they would be in Microsofts' next-gen console.

No need to speak with authority about what's possible or unrealistic when you're woefully out of your depth.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Navi will be more efficient, giving more graphical power for the same number of watts. But Vega will apparently continue as AMD's flagship gaming card, with Navi launching as a medium tier. (I don't know specifically why that is, but multiple sources say so.) Microsoft want to be undisputed performance leader, so that might make Vega attractive to them. Also, Vega features effectual FP64 calculation, which is rare for gaming but useful for machine learning AI and other advanced tasks. And Microsoft have officially said they want to use the same hardware in the next Xbox and their gaming servers.

It's important to note that this imagined scenario where Sony use Navi and Microsoft use Vega wouldn't have an inevitable winner. It could go all sorts of ways. Maybe Microsoft does get the highest TF card, and their Xbox One X experience lets them cool it effectively without much extra cost. There's rumors that Navi isn't as effective or power-thrifty as meant to be, and maybe PS5 could end up needing extra cooling redesign and downclocks at the last minute, which make it just as expensive as Xbox but notably less powerful.

Or, maybe Vega has higher TF but a lack of efficiency, and the usage of chip space for new server-specific features makes the next Xbox less performant than expected. Meanwhile, a careful Navi design with smartly customized gaming-relevant features allows PS5 to produce graphics basically indistinguishable from Anaconda, but at a much lower price.

In other words, neither choice is necessarily bad. Both have potential drawbacks, but both also have potential advantages for what the different platforms hope to accomplish. And no matter what they design for, some tech bets simply don't pan out.
Vega VII will remain AMDs top-end card until next year when "big Navi" is expected to release. The reason isn't because Vega is more powerful, Navi is an evolution of Vega after all. But because the mid-range is where the money's at, the Polaris cards need a replacement, and it's likely easier to produce the smaller chips on the still new 7nm process.

I expect both Playstation and Xbox to use Navi, or a cutdown version of whatever AMD decide to name next years "big Navi".

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think Colbert noticed first right after Wired article that they barely even mentioned next gen GPU except nebulous words like "RT support,8K" etc.All the buzz was/is around SSD,"no loading times" and Zen2.If we wanna be cynical we might conclude that the least improvement next gen will be in GPU/TFs part.

But RAM TDP is a cost. It reduces what you can do with other element of the console.

On PS4, 8Gb of GDDR5 was 40 to 50 watts. 16 Gb of GDDR6 will be more than this probably between 60 to 70 watts and 24 Gb of GDDR6 on a 384 bits would be 90 to 100 watts. This is crazy.

It will limit the potential of growth of the GPU. I will try to find it but I read a Nvidia study about a new type of RAM coming when HBM will reach consumption limit. It was not something recent because it compares HBM against GDDR5 but they said the main challenge for GPU is the RAM power consumption.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
But RAM TDP is a cost. It reduces what you can do with other element of the console.

On PS4, 8Gb of GDDR5 was 40 to 50 watts. 16 Gb of GDDR6 will be more than this probably between 60 to 70 watts and 24 Gb of GDDR6 on a 384 bits would be 90 to 100 watts. This is crazy.

It will limit the potential of growth of the GPU. I will try to find it but I read a Nvidia study about a new type of RAM coming when HBM will reach consumption limit. It was not something recent because it compares HBM against GDDR5 but they said the main challenge for GPU is the RAM power consumption.
You have some hbm fetish, don't you?:d

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You have some hbm fetish, don't you?:d

For the SSD side:

This reflexion for the SSD it is from Quaz51 the man who discovered Halo 3 resolution and did this Axelay demo in NES. He explained years ago his method to count pixel to Richard Leadbetter before or during the creation of Digitalfoundry

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/random_someone_cloned_axelay_on_the_nes_because_why_not

The first challenge of this gen is the SSD choice system, having high raw bandwidth signify you can use less VRAM but the biggest the bandwidth is the more it will be expensive to decompress the data on the GPU.

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2016/posters/GTC_2016_Algorithms_AL_11_P6128_WEB.pdf

Here full power of GTX 980 was used for decompressing the data coming from SSD and check the ratio SSD debit to decompression only two. It takes only two times fewer milliseconds to decompress the data than pass the data from SSD to CPU. It means you need half of the GTX 980 to decompress the data if you want to keep up with SSD debit. It was probably a high-end SSD at the moment of the study nearly three years ago. One solution is to not compress the data or use less good compression algorithm. But developers have a problem of place and it means lost all the gain made non-duplicating data. The other solution is to use hardware decompression on the SSD controller. The last one is to use an SSD will less bandwidth, you can use GPU decompression but you will need to cache more things in RAM and having less VRAM is not a good choice anymore, it means too much stress on the slowest DDR4 memory.

When you have made your choice for the SSD like Mark Cerny and his teams did, here raw bandwidth better than any current gen SSD PC, you can decide the RAM and one advantage you have is you can use less VRAM using HBCC. But you can use 8Gb of GDDR6 or 8Gb of HBM2 is the best choice from a consumption point of view. ;) The only problem is the price of HBM2* but if we believe the rumor this is not a problem. And after you can use part of the power consumption gain inside the GPU.

* The rumor is only viable if the price of HBM2 is true.

Edit: hard to find again but Nvidia estimate the limit of HBM to 4 Tbytes/s. I have it on the home computer I will find this study...

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm that cynical tbh

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
https://research.nvidia.com/publication/2017-10_Fine-Grained-DRAM:-Energy-Efficient

EDIT: Correct link

I find the study and Nvidia estimate than DRAM consumption problem is the biggest problem to solve for future of GPU.

In this paper, we show that traditional techniques for extend-
ing the bandwidth of DRAMs will either add to the system en-
ergy, and/or add to the cost/area of DRAM devices. To meet the
bandwidth objectives of the future, DRAM devices must be more
energy-efficient than they are today without significantly sacrific-
ing area-efficiency. To architect a DRAM device that meets these
objectives, we carry out a detailed design space exploration of high-
bandwidth DRAM microarchitectures. Using constraints imposed
by practical DRAM layouts and insights from GPU memory ac-
cess behaviors to inform the design process, we arrive at a DRAM
and memory controller architecture, Fine-grained DRAM (FGDRAM),
suited to future high-bandwidth GPUs

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Thank you. Have fast read the PDF but the issue described is not an issue for next gen consoles. The paper talks about speeds in the2+TB/s range which we are far away from in the console space. So while this has has wight in the data center I wouldn't be concerned about consoles.

But it compare HBM and GDDR within a constraint enviromment in term of TDP and cost like in console, this is already a problem and it begins current gen. 8 GDDR5 in PS4 is not a tiny part of the console consumption. If we could stay with 8Gb of RAM, it woud be better but we need to go to 16 GB of GDDR6 with 256 bits bus or 24 Gb of RAM with a 384 bits bus. The difference between current gen and next gen is HBCC.

EDIT: the micron formula find by anexanhume show bus too play a part in TDP and DrKeo calculation he finds nearly nearly 100 watts for 24 Gb of GDDR6 with a 384 bits.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why do some of you think your more clever than the engineers working at Sony and Microsoft? Many of you said SSDs were unrealistic in next gen consoles, yet Sony confirmed them to be a reality and vetrfied posters here even said they would be in Microsofts' next-gen console.

No need to speak with authority about what's possible or unrealistic when you're woefully out of your depth.
Oop.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Given this weeks Japanese dev comments re ray-tracing use in development, and the surprise of Nvidias RT cards to the industry, isn't it possible that Sony and/or MS long planned to implement RT in their consoles, but only as an aid to development rather than visuals?

This might explain their focus on RT, but answer the question of how they expect to implement RT on consoles which are likely to lack sufficient support for RT in graphics.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Ok. So we're almost certain MS is coming with 2 SKUs but is there any chance Sony could do the same?
Maybe a $399 base console and a $499 with RT and a bigger SSD?
(Although i doubt cerny would talk about RT and not have it in obe of the consoles)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I always expected ray tracing to be used more in the context of development for lighting artists rather than in game ray tracing. I get that ray tracing is this huge leap in graphic quality, but i am still not sure if its worth the visual or performance sacrifice yet, maybe on the mid gen consoles we will see a bigger emphasis on in game ray tracing.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I always expected ray tracing to be used more in the context of development for lighting artists rather than in game ray tracing. I get that ray tracing is this huge leap in graphic quality, but i am still not sure if its worth the visual or performance sacrifice yet, maybe on the mid gen consoles we will see a bigger emphasis on in game ray tracing.

From what i've read, it also helps development time greatly.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Given this weeks Japanese dev comments re ray-tracing use in development, and the surprise of Nvidias RT cards to the industry, isn't it possible that Sony and/or MS long planned to implement RT in their consoles, but only as an aid to development rather than visuals?

This might explain their focus on RT, but answer the question of how they expect to implement RT on consoles which are likely to lack sufficient support for RT in graphics.

RT will help will visual no matter what you do since lighting is a visual effect .
You can't have one without the other .

I really don't see mid gen consoles helping much if the base consoles don't have it at a certain level .

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Nice first message on Era :P

To be fair there's some very smart and knowledgeable people in this thread

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
From what i've read, it also helps development time greatly.
Well yea as making the lighting with ray tracing then faking it with standard lighting techniques is easier than just imagining the lighting and doing a lot of trial and error until you make it.
I remember that cory barlog for example mentioned how the lighting in some scenes just did not come together until very late in development. If lighting artists could finish their work earlier they can move to maybe work on other art assets. In general it feels like most of the next generation tech will be focused on how to shorten development times to keep up with this gen.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yup you are right.. forgot about that.

Anyway don't mind me... just silly ideas; blame it on the lack of leaks.
It doesn't have to be this holiday season or the next one, it could also be April for instance or any other month that comes before November. If we take April as an example, It's in the 2020 financial year, It's 10 months away from the E3 June announcement and will give them a 7 months advantage. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it might be a possibility. They don't have a Forza game this year so F8 can be ready for April and Halo Infinite will be 4.5 years into development by then. We also have exciting teasing from DICE developers for the coming E3 and IW is working on next-gen tech for COD even though the IW COD is the 2019 COD. So why are IW looking for developers for next-gen if they are still working on the 2019 COD? Because maybe if a next-gen console is launching long before COD 2020, COD 2019 will get a cross-gen version for its' launch.

Just throwing some things around, who knows what is possible. Launching in the holiday season always seemed stupid to me - they sell all their stock at launch and then have a shortage the whole holiday season. Why not launch a few months early and have two sale bumps in a single year? One at launch and another one on the holiday season. Worked very well for the Switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.