• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure microstutter and tearing look great compressed.

Been playing on Playstation Now this past few days, other than input lag in some games it works flawlessly. The other problem with PS Now? It only streams 720p 60FPS, it's trash. If they manage the 4k 60FPS on stadia like they're saying I think most people won't even be able to notice a difference between a local and streamed game. Obviously there are always those more sensible to that sort of thing and which will be able to spot the differences.

But to be honest being able to play a videogame without having to deal with updates and all that stuff sounds pretty good to me.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would happily play an RPG with the PS Now.

Problem is, I dont know when they'll launch it here in SEA, and that's why Im so excited that they teamed up with Azure.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hmmm... post from the PS OT:

Sony possibly holding a reveal event in early June? Or a State of Play video? 🤔

Yup, now I'm reading rumors from a Twitter source whose name sounds like an erectile dysfunction product.
Been playing on Playstation Now this past few days, other than input lag in some games it works flawlessly. The other problem with PS Now? It only streams 720p 60FPS, it's trash. If they manage the 4k 60FPS on stadia like they're saying I think most people won't even be able to notice a difference between a local and streamed game. Obviously there are always those more sensible to that sort of thing and which will be able to spot the differences.

But to be honest being able to play a videogame without having to deal with updates and all that stuff sounds pretty good to me.
I was referring to issues with multi-GPU rendering, not game streaming in general.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Read the first line, i did say the only way the keaker could know all that if he's lying about his job, and isnt a third party dev.

Cannot iterate enough that I said that everyone should take every leak with a heap of salt, and not champion any so much.

Just thought that out of all the leaks out there, that for me, has the best chance of being the most accurate.
The leak talk about hardware, software, marketing software and marketing hardware. I am not sure there is 10 in the world who have access to that much.
So I think there is others lies than the job position.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leak talk about hardware, software, marketing software and marketing hardware. I am not sure there is 10 in the world who have access to that much.
So I think there is others lies than the job position.
Yeah im not gonna defend the rumor. It's more due to the only person that got something right in the past few months ackmowledging it.

If it's right in some parts, great. If it's totally wrong, I will muster a shrug.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that Sony event is probably after E3. I dont think it will be december though, since CoD games usually come out around october, right?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Here is the full study. With the different algorithm, the compression is approximately a factor 2. I forgot you have the size of the asset to transfer you can calculate the real speed of the SSD. Because they give the number of milliseconds to transfer from SSD to CPU. This can be an indication of the theoretical speed of the SSD.

The calculation is not rocket science. The second link has the result of the study, it is only one page with the result. Here this a case of loading an asset but you have the number of milliseconds between the SSD and the CPU, you can even see the advantage of UMA because you have some time of transfert between the CPU and GPU.

This is a parallel algorithm it scale with GPU power and here they compare a loading case using full GTX 980 power against an Intel i7 CPU but you can do the calculation for a streaming case.

Read the table at the end scenario C

First row of the table speed of SSD to transfer data to CPU is 3,89ms, the GPU can decompress the SSD data in 2,12ms. For simplification we will say it can decompress the data two times faster than the SSD can transfer it using full GTX 980 power. But when you stream you need to be able to decompress following SSD speed. For simplify the case I will said it is two time less than SSD speed to decompress using the GPU for keep up with SSD speed it means you need half of the GTX 980 power to do it(I am generous with the GPU it only 1,83 faster). If the full GPU was 20 times faster to decompress than SSD speed, it would be only 5% of the GTX980 to use to follow SSD speed.

And the faster the SSD is it means less time to decompress the asset for keep up with the streaming speed and you will need more GPU power to do it. For example with a SSD two time faster 1,94 Ms for the first row example the GTX 980 would not be able to keep up with the streaming(2,12ms) even using the full GPU... It will took more time to decompress the data than the SSD will send it.

I will do the calculation of the real speed of the SSD reading the full study and saying latency is a negligible aspect of the SSD speed not totally exact but it gives a reasonnable estimation...

Edit: Sorry on phone very difficult to write a long rant...

Last edited:

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
That's where something change, you don't need to do that in background (and all the artifice we have in games to hide those). There are other implication. It is really big.
Hold on now, it's not going to get that much faster, we'll still need a certain amount of smoke and mirrors...

...is my current running assumption, as I've not sat down and run the math with hard numbers.

But I do suspect we'll still have funny s-shaped corridors, just because we're still dealing with a finite amount of GPU and RAM. They just won't be quite as long. I mean, even if we can completely reload memory in a second, I still need everything behind me loaded, unless we lock down camera rotation speed, and I've probably said too much already. I am excited for it though. Fun times ahead!

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Is there any chance we'll get RADEON VII inside next Xbox?

Yeah i know it costs 500+$,maybe sub 400$ next year. But if they remove HBM and put GDRR6 instead and hearing rumours about next Xbox being 30-40% more powerful than PS5 could this happen? Or would Vega be more suitable?(If its not Navi ofc)

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Is there any chance we'll get RADEON VII inside next Xbox?

Yeah i know it costs 500+$,maybe sub 400$ next year. But if they remove HBM and put GDRR6 instead and hearing rumours about next Xbox being 30-40% more powerful than PS5 could this happen? Or would Vega be more suitable?(If its not Navi ofc)

Zero chance. Vega clearly didn't scale well to 7nm. R7 is the size of the entire PS4/XB1 dies and its TDP is ~300W, which is 50% beyond even the max boundary of consoles.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I have no idea when but feel it will be a short reveal to release (2-3 months) assuming they continue what they did with PS4 Pro.

What i think is fascinating is that Sony officially announced next gen system something like ~19 months before launch,IF that launch is 2020 holiday season.We never had situation like this before,this is even longer then Scorpio announcement by MS at 2016 E3.
Unless...we will not have to wait late 2020.I dunno,something here just doesn't sound right.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Going by last gen, they led MS by a few months. If they're anticipating MS to do a platform reveal at E3, a June event may not be out of the question. I think TLOU's success should allay fears of sabotaging late gen exclusives.

Not to mention, backward compatibility. Hell, it may even HELP sales (a reach I know), since any game people buy now will also work on ps5.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
god please let them have better and quiet cooling this time.
The newest Pro model is almost 5x less loud than the first Pro model, while using the same watts. If they make it a priority, Sony can design quieter hardware.

The other problem with PS Now? It only streams 720p 60FPS, it's trash.
Per the recent investor meeting, Sony are targeting 1080p60 for Now on the new gen, not 4K. I don't think this is really a technical issue, but strategic. Unlike Google, they'll also be selling local hardware, and a differentiation between offering tiers is a benefit. PS5 for core, Now for casual.

Is there any chance we'll get RADEON VII inside next Xbox? ...Or would Vega be more suitable?(If its not Navi ofc)
Radeon VII is Vega.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yes, but of a vega 7 was in a console the whole console what draw 300watts.
However this does not alter my original point about vega vs Navi speculated power usage.
I don't think it matters if the whole console is pulling more than 300W.I could be mistaken though... I do know that the primary limitation of the consoles is the TDP, cause that determines what type and size of cooling system to use, which also determines the size of the console and also has to do with how reliable the console will be. Too much heat is bad. But yh, it doesn't alter your point.... I m just saying I don't think that 300W that is usually quoted for vega 7 is its TDP.

So the site is down for 5 hours and now PS5 is officially being revealed in about 2 weeks?

Feb 10, 2018
Going by last gen, they led MS by a few months. If they're anticipating MS to do a platform reveal at E3, a June event may not be out of the question. I think TLOU's success should allay fears of sabotaging late gen exclusives.

I wouldn't be surprised by misdirection from Sony again. (they said they would not have an event around E3).
I suppose the end of June is not around E3, but it's still a bit sneaky.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
The newest Pro model is almost 5x less loud than the first Pro model, while using the same watts. If they make it a priority, Sony can design quieter hardware.

The newest PRO is quieter because they changed the fan curve, or maybe the fan itself, as shown by ~5* hotter temps. I don't think there was any design change. Hard to find much info about it because every single news source used the DF video as source.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Per the recent investor meeting, Sony are targeting 1080p60 for Now on the new gen, not 4K. I don't think this is really a technical issue, but strategic. Unlike Google, they'll also be selling local hardware, and a differentiation between offering tiers is a benefit. PS5 for core, Now for casual.

That will be okay I guess but in the future they'll have to keep updating the service. Google is already promising 8K 120 FPS later after the service goes live.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The timeline is;

- Trailer for MW4 in early June.

- Nothing about it during E3 (Activision doesn't have a booth)

- Playable at Sony's event.

The PS5 reveal is most probably after E3.
Not exactly correct. Reveals as per the other thread is May 30, and there are other avenues to show games off at E3 other than a booth or a presser. For all we know the press might get to play it behind closed doors as part of judges week, or just because Activision wants to show it. Sony might be showing things behind closed doors and/or brining stuff to judge's week as well.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think it matters if the whole console is pulling more than 300W.I could be mistaken though... I do know that the primary limitation of the consoles is the TDP, cause that determines what type and size of cooling system to use, which also determines the size of the console and also has to do with how reliable the console will be. Too much heat is bad. But yh, it doesn't alter your point.... I m just saying I don't think that 300W that is usually quoted for vega 7 is its TDP.

So the site is down for 5 hours and now PS5 is officially being revealed in about 2 weeks?

Yeah I know 321watt is for the whole board, the GPU us probably like 280.
But it does not matter to my point, because it is comparing power efficiency of vega to speculated Navi, the ratio of difference will be very similar if comparing graphics cards or just the gpus.
So your point is pointless in relation to mine.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That will be okay I guess but in the future they'll have to keep updating the service. Google is already promising 8K 120 FPS later after the service goes live.
I think the idea is anyone who really cares about 4K 60 and beyond are not going to want an image compressed to hell and will put a console under their TV.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The newest PRO is quieter because they changed the fan curve, or maybe the fan itself, as shown by ~5* hotter temps. I don't think there was any design change. Hard to find much info about it because every single news source used the DF video as source.
Yup, it was that simple. Fans.

I don't think ppl should worry about noise with the PS5. Hopefully Sony learned from this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56784

Banned
May 16, 2019
For those who want to living the dream:

Pastebin leak said GTA 6 either MIAMI or NY. I know someone who has a friend who works at Rockstar and he said, he had a business trip to MIAMI.
What is Dead, may never die...

Status
Not open for further replies.